GAMMA-A Brave New World

Using the default data.

Titles:

-Lightweight: Sean Morrison (27-3)

-Welterweight: Julio Regueiro (20-0)

-Middleweight: Matthew Dean (31-5)

-Light Heavyweight: Spencer Rubenstein (13-4)

-Heavyweight: James Foster (32-4-1)

GAMMA Announces First Card Under New Management!!

GAMMA 22: Rugeiro vs. Stephens!

Main Event: Welterweight Title Fight

Julio Rugeiro © (20-0) vs. Rufus Stephens (16-1)

Co Main Event

Mark Cohen (34-7-1) vs. Ricky Heath (13-4)

Bud Brockett (7-0) vs. Ncholas Bretton (10-3)

Norbert Vunkus (2-0) vs. Frank Sheedy (20-9)

From The Desk of Walter Paul

Hey there, Walt here! I'm the new match maker/scout for GAMMA. When the new management came in, they brought me aboard. Actually, I worked with the previous owners in a marketing role...let me tell you; those guys knew nothing of MMA. They tried to cash in and milk the cow. The new owner, Dexter Holman, knows the sport. This guy has a head on his shoulders.

Anyway, as you can imagine I get hit with tapes from fighters and local promotions all the time. I had some time to kill so I popped in some of these tapes of some guys that caught my eye:

• Isaiah Monroe: 'Thump' Monroe hails from Akron, Ohio. Actually, he never sent a tape. One day I was talking with Spence (Spencer Rubenstein) who knew Thump from the local Ohio MMA scene. He told me about this kid he saw dominate in high school and college for wrestling. Once he showed me a tape of the kid, we had to get him in for a fight. I don't know what Greek God's looked like...but I'm sure they wish they could've looked like Thump!

William Harrison: I actually met this guy when I attended some fights out in Michigan a few months back. See, normally guys sell themselves to me every chance they get, brag about their skills and how they have that 'it' factor. Not Will. In fact, we hardly even talked about MMA, he told me about his time spent in the Army and his childhood. He's a really great person! A week or so later I got an e-mail from him giving me a quick background on his fighting career. Based off his personality alone, I had to give me a call. Expect to hear this guy's name in the future.

Toby Sorkin: Ok. This guy is OPPOSITE of Harrison. I've known Toby for a few years through watching him at Judo competitions. This guy is the real deal when it comes to fighting...but his ego is even bigger than his skill set! His ego is insane, he's full of himself, he's cocky...but he can fight! There is no getting around that fact, and his talent alone merits him a shot at GAMMA.

Kanezane Fujii: Alright, to be honest, I don't know much about this guy. He's a big dude, 6'2" and packs on the pounds. There's something about him though that tells me 'this guy could be something.' I'm learning to trust me gut.

GAMMA 22: Rugeiro vs. Stephens!

Norbert Vinkus def. Frank Sheedy via. TKO (1:38, Rd. 2) *Average*

Nicholas Bretton def. Bud Brockett via. UD (5:00, Rd 3) *Poor*

Mark Cohen def. Ricky Heath via TKO (4:08, Rd 2) *Good*

Julio Regueiro def. Rufus Stephens via Arm Triangle to retain his title (3:21, Rd 3) *Good*

Of The Night:

Fight Of the Night: Cohen vs. Heath

KO Of The Night: Mark Cohen

Sub Of The Night: Julio Regueiro

Ok, GAMMA fans, it's Walt again! I just got back from the first under the new management, and it was a great time! We only went four fights deep, but they turned out to be solid bouts!

First off, Norbert Vinkus can fight! Many people thought he was a sideshow, ex-NFL'er that is trying to relive his youth. He's a fighter, man. He's a tough SOB, and we'll be getting him back in the cage ASAP!

I went backstage after the Bretton/Brockett fight. Bud is a great kid, really charismatic but he felt like he gave up the fight towards the end. "I had him, Walt," he told me. "I don't know what happened...I don't know." Poor guy was really bummed, but that's the business; there's always a winner and a loser.

On my way back to my seat I ran into my good pal Toby Sorkin. He was in town the day before finishing up some contract negotiations. Without a formal "Hello," he came over and said, "Give me Rubenstein! I'll ruin that clown!" This guy hasn't even been on the roster for more than 24 hours and already wants the champ! Told you he was a cocky son of a gun.

Let me tell you one thing, while this sport is evolving, Mark Cohen is a throwback. A gritty, tough, hard nosed fighter and he showed it against Hollywood Heath! We gave him the Fight & KO Of The Night bonus, he's a tough dude! Afterwards he requested some time off, apparently he sustained an injury while training but didn't want to use that as a crutch leading up the fight. Man, he's tough!

And what is there to say about Julio? 21-0! Jeesh, his BJJ game is world class and it showed. The guy is so slick, smooth and lethal on the ground. I don't see many stopping him in this weightclass.

Overall, it was a good night! Back to the office in the morning, then off to Illinois in a few weeks for GAMMA 23!!!

GAMMA 23: Foster vs. Hughes announced!

Main Event: Heavyweight Title

James Foster © (32-4-1) vs. Raul Hughes (14-2)

Co Main Event:

Benny Danare (8-0) vs. Truck Gleeson (21-4-1)

Christian Mountfield (12-3) vs. Bryan Van Den Hauwe (15-4)

Osmosis Benn (14-0) vs. Sutton Ripley (13-2)

Foster Speaks On Upcoming Fight & The Future Of MMA

By:

Tim Hare

The air grew thick as the night dragged on. In the room to my right, the clinking of the free weights acts as a sound track for the gym. Tucked away in the suburbs of Chicago lies Halvorsen's, an MMA gym ran by MMA pioneer, Dan Halvorsen.

With some locals hitting the heavy bags', Halvorsen focuses his attention to the main room, where on an old wrestling mat his star student, James Foster, works on a slick knee-cut guard pass with a teammate. The smooth, methodical movement of Foster brings a slight grin to Halvorsen's face.

"You know," Dan says to me. "James was the first person to ever train here? Now look at him, he's the champion. Best in the world!" With 32 wins and a title to his name, James Foster takes pride in where he trains.

"Before the sport even became what it is, Dan's place was where you had to train," Foster recalls. "Dan would come here in the morning after working a night shift at the local prison, train, then go and fight the next night. He's the ultimate iron man."

In the MMA world, few are held in such regards as Foster. Dubbed the "All American," fans across the country rave about the champ. His image is squeaky clean, and his talent is undeniable. However, with MMA slowly growing, Foster knows to count his blessings.

"I'm getting old," Foster tells me with a smirk. "I'm old. This sport is growing at a rapid pace. Years ago we were fighting in bars, now we're fighting in front of a few thousand people. That's pretty damn cool!

"But I know that soon, someone will come in and change the game. Soon, it will evolve every more! I mean, what we're dong right now is we're laying down the path for the next generation to follow." Foster is sound wise beyond is years.

"I love fighting," he continues. "I really do. It's a rush, a high, that you get seeing 4,500 people chant your name. But I'm thinking long term, I think this sport is only going to grow until we're up there with the NFL, MLB and NBA!

"The pennies that we fight for now, the rickety gyms we train in and the dead-end jobs we work to make ends meet are for the betterment of the sport. We're doing this so that 14 year old kid in the middle of Vermont watching tapes of Sean Morrison and Hassan Fezzik can carry on the torch. Who knows, maybe one day there will be events held in front of 30,000 people!"

Even with the future in mind, Foster does not overlook his current day-to-day. With a fight against heavy handed Raul Hughes just a week away, Foster is focused.

"As the guy with the belt, everyone wants me. Plenty of people want Hughes to knock me out...but it won't happen, I can promise that. As far as I see it, he doesn't stand a chance."

GAMMA 23: Foster vs. Hughes!

Sutton Ripley def. Osmosis Benn via KO (0:24, Rd 1) *Good*

Christian Mountfield def. Bryan Van Den Hauwe via TKO (3:31, Rd 1) *Good*

Truck Gleeson def. Benny Danare via TKO (1:43, Rd 1) *Good*

James Foster def. Raul Hughes via TKO to retain the title (4:27, Rd 1) *Poor*

Fight Of The Night: Mountfield vs. Van Den Hauwe

KO Of The Night: N/A

Submission Of The Night: N/A

Walt here with my post GAMMA 23 wrap-up! Give me a second to breathe and process what happened....ok, I'm ready!

WOAH! What a crazy night of fights! Not one single bout made it out of the first round, that's crazy!! If I had to pick one outcome that surprised me was the first fight when Sutton KO'd Benn. Not that Rip isn't a good fighter, I just heard some good things about Benn's training leading up to the fight.

And Truck Gleeson is the truth! A lot of people are high on Danare, viewing him as the next big thing at 155, but Truck wasn't having that. He went in there with a deadly BJJ player and beat him. Good for you, Truck!

As far as the main event, I don't even recall Hughes landing one shot. Foster came in, tied him up and put him on his back. If you have Foster on top of you, you are NOT going to win. Plain and simple.

As for our next card, we'll be making some major announcements so stay tuned for those!!

GAMMA Heading TV, Introduces 'Fight Night'

AP-Up-and-coming Mixed Martial Arts company, GAMMA, has announced that they have reached a deal with East Coast Today for a TV show. The show will be titled 'Fight Night' and feature four fights. GAMMA officials have already begun booking their first ever Fight Night, which will happen in just a few weeks! Wanting to show the world what MMA is about, the headline bout is something fans can only get on PPV...but not this time!

Fight Night: Rubenstein vs. Ballard!

Main Event: Light Heavyweight Title

Spencer Rubenstein © [13-4] vs. Linfield Ballard [20-7]

Co Main Event:

Khru Duangjan [11-1] vs. Leon Banks [31-10]

Mac Fuller [32-8] vs. Woody Fierstein [10-2]

William Harrison [4-0] vs. Kendall Tracey [8-1]

Ok...so we're fresh off of our new deal with East Coast Today! Anticipation is really rising around the offices for our debut! As we speak, I'm on a train headed to Jersey, where we're having the fights. Right away I can tell you these fights will be electric!

Remember how I said Will Harrison is a class act? The very first phone call that I got after we announced our first show was from him. He was great full and promised me that he will not let myself or GAMMA down.

As for the Mac & Woody fight, it was a no brainer. Mac has been one of those company guys for so long that it would've felt wrong to leave him off of the card. He'll get a tough test from Woody.

The co-main event is interesting. On one hand, we have Leon Banks from the mean streets of Boston. This guy s a legit tough guy, not just a tough talker; he backs it up! On the other hand we have the debuting Khru. Now for those who haven't seen his tapes circulating, Khru is a SCARY thai fighter! I mean flat out FREAKY!

When we began planning the main event, we knew we wanted a title fight to headline it. Right away Spencer stepped up and said he would fight and didn't care against who. Big Dog Ballard has been waiting for his chance to get a crack at the gold, so we rewarded him with the fight.

Oh, before I forget, we also have our next PPV setup!

GAMMA 24: Morrison vs. Gorshin

Main Event: Lightweight Title

Sean Morrison © [27-3] vs. Beau Gorshin [36-8]

Co Main Event:

Josh Aldarisio vs. Darin Blood

Isaiah Monroe [3-0] vs. Maarten De Vries [15-6]

Toby Sorkin [3-0] vs. Bill Cumming [27-12]

Rubenstein Cutting No Corners In Preparation For Big Fight

The king at 205 pounds in GAMMA knows what lies in wait for him. Just five days out of the biggest fight of his career, and a ground breaking moment for GAMMA, Spencer is looking to put on a show.

"I'm putting him to sleep...out cold." Spencer says when asked about Ballard. "He's a great guy and all that, super nice but this is a fight. My thai against his kick boxing."

With the big headline bout gathering attention from the MMA world, Rubenstein sees this as a great opportunity to evolve the sport. "We aren't ruthless brutes trying to kill each other," Spencer explains. "It's a chess game in there, and that's what we get to prove this Friday."

When asked if his life will change after Friday, Spencer is being hopeful. "I hope so. I mean, a win will mean a bigger check, more recognition but more importantly, a better image for the sport and I can keep my title. Those last two things are what I care most about."

Not one to count out his oppositions, Rubenstein knows what the Texas native can bring. "Ballard is tough," Spencer praises. "He's tough but I think he has a breaking point, and my goal is to find that breaking point. I'm going to win this fight."

Fight Night: Rubenstein vs. Ballard!

William Harrison def. Kendall Tracey via. UD (5:00, Rd 3) *Poor*

Woody Fierstein def. Mac Fuller via. UD (5:00, Rd 3) *Poor*

Khru Duangjan def. Leon Banks via. KO (3:02, Rd 2) *Great*

Spencer Rubenstein def. Linfield Ballard via. TKO to retain his title (3:44, Rd 1) *Average*

Fight Of The Night: Duangjan vs Banks

KO Of The Night: Khru Duangjan

Sub Of The Night: N/A

Just got back to my hotel room. First off, I know a lot of fans were booing the first two "boring" fights, but that just goes to show we still need to educate the fans. The first two fights focused a lot on grappling, not so much swinging for the fences.

As expected, Harrison was gracious in victory and respectful of Kendall. If he keeps getting better, there is no doubt in my mind that William will become a great ambassador of the sport.

Somewhat shocked Mac lost, I mean, I know he's getting older but I had a feeling that he would walk in there tonight and get the victory. It's always tough to see one of our vets that has put in a lot of work fall short, especially in such a big event.

Now, remember when I said watch out for Khru?! Well..WOW this guy is GOOD! When he landed his right hook, and Banks dropped, he sent a message. But I also have to tip my hat to Leon for rocking, and dropping, Khru twice in the fight. Exciting, exciting fight.

Lastly, I don't know of Spencer was on his game tonight or if Big Dog Ballard just sucked! I mean, the guy struggled big time and was outclassed and Spenc wasn't even on his A-game tonight. Not a good showing for Linfield.

Anyway, time to get some sleep, get back to the offices, and prep for GAMMA 24!

GAMMA 25: Dean vs. Reid Announced!

Main Event: Middleweight Title

Matthew Dean © [31-5] vs. JJ Reid [24-5]

Co Main Event:

Rick Stanley [28-14] vs. Tim Boyer [24-3-2]

Cyril Kamoze [3-0] vs. Ruben Ericsson [8-2-1]

Lawrence Herringbone [12-1] vs. Derek South [13-3]

Isaiah Monroe: The Road Less Traveled

The lights at Impact MMA have long been turned off. The top names from GAMMA have gone home to their wife and kids. Then there is the imposing figure waiting for the bus. With his Bad Boy shorts on, gym bag slung over his shoulder and a University of Akron sweatshirt on, is Isaiah Monroe.

After three hours of hard drilling for his GAMMA debut, Thump can hardly see straight. His protein shake has been chugged, and his gallon of water is bone dry. Monroe still has another hour left on the bus ride.

We get back to his place, the clock reads 11:47 PM. Monroe tosses his bag onto his bed, takes a deep breath and then sits at a desk. Waiting for him is a stack of books, mainly related to business: accounting, finance, marketing.

"Homework time," Monroe says in a less than thrilled tone. Monroe is finishing up his grad school at Florida State University. After a storied wrestling career at the University of Akron, Thump thirsted for more knowledge.

"I love school," Monroe tells me. "I really do. The fighting stuff is cool, but who knows if it'll work? I'm a few months out from getting my MBA so why stop now?"

By the time he finishes his home work it's 1:00 AM. "Class in six hours," Monroe mumbles as he closes his eyes. "Six hours."

"Ow, ow, ow! Cramp!" That's what I woke up to. No, not Thump...me! slept on the cramped cot in his dorm room and caught a cramp. It hurt. Don't judge me!

Seemingly amused by his new alarm clock, Monroe goes to class. I sit and wait for him as I play Mario Kart on the N64. Sick game! Before I know it, Isaiah peaks his head in, "Let's go!" Gym time.

Prior to every workout at Impact, Monroe lifts. "He's a natural freak," the strength and conditioning coach for the football team noted. "Makes our kids look like twigs!"

The kid is built like a brick building. Wide shoulders, giant arms and after seeing him bench, I'm sure his chest isn't built like a "twig." A hour goes by, he didn't speak to anyone; just worked.

"You know, I fight next week," Monroe tells me, as if t was news to me. "Some Martin guy, I think." Timidly I correct him, "It's Marteen."

He smiles. Between class, homework and trying to keep food on the table, the last thing on Thump's mind is fighting. "I do it for fun," he admits. "Who knows if this thing will work out...I hope it does. If not, I'm cool with it. I feel ready for the world no matter the outcome."

He pauses.

"But till that day comes...keep my name in mind."

A Day In The Life: Toby Sorkin

Have you ever met someone so honest, genuine and sincere that it almost pains you? The guy who will go out of his way just make someone else happy, and cares more for the well fare of the group rather than the individual? You do!? Then you know one thing; that guys is not Toby Sorkin.

An elite-level Judoka, Sorkin has various weapons to use. His throws, his kicks, his submissions, you name it. After hearing stories about the infamous personality of Sorkin, I was curious to meet him. I was convinced it was all hype and that he wasn't that bad.

I sat at Evolution MMA waiting for him to arrive when I hear someone yelling, "No, no, no! That's wrong!" I peak into the room where I heard the noise and there I see Toby criticizing the BJJ of Buddy Garner! Yeah, THAT Buddy Garner! The same one who is 13-0 and widely considered the most dangerous BJJ player in all of MMA!

After he "coached" Buddy a little more, Toby sat down with me. Our talk didn't consist of much MMA till we got back to his place. Right when you walk in, you get the feeling that this is a guy who s all about himself.

"Right here," Toby says, walking towards a room to my left. "Is where I stash some of my judo stuff." Gi's, belts, medals, trophies, pictures, you name it, it was here.

"Gold in a bunch of regional Judo tournaments. Gold in the PanAm's, I kicked ass," he catches his breath. "Oh, my silver from the 1996 Olympic games. I didn't really feel like winning gold. So I didn't."

Oh brother.

"Here's my career checklist," Toby directs my attention to a checklist on the wall. Win First Fight, Compete Nationally, Olympics, Black Belt In Judo are all checked off. He quickly realizes that he missed one and checks off, 'Sign To GAMMA.'

I scan the list. "Pretty lofty goals," I tell him.

"Not really. This is for the next year. Wait till you see next year!" He says with great excitement.

Toby is the guy that won't speak to you unless you speak to him first. Needless to say there was a lot of awkward moments the rest of the day. In fact, he hardly even acknowledged me when I asked where his bathroom was.

I chalked it up to fight week jitters, there's no way someone can be this cocky! Either way, this guy can fight. Is he a good guy? I'll have to decide on that when he isn't preparing for a fight. But the skillset that this man posses is down right lethal.

Be prepared, world, be prepared.

GAMMA 24: Morrison vs. Gorshin!

Toby Sorkin def. Bill Cumming via. TKO (0:36, Rd 1) *Good*

Isaiah Monroe def. Marteen De Vries via TKO (3:11, Rd 1) *Great*

Josh Aldarisio def. Darin Blood via UD (5:00, Rd 3) *Very Poor*

Sean Morrison def. Beau Gorshin via UD to retain his title (5:00, Rd 3) *Poor*

Fight of The Night: Monroe vs. De Vries

KO of The Night: Toby Sorkin

Sub of The Night: N/A

So I was excited for this one! First off, Sean Morrison might just be one of the baddest guys on the planet. This guy is really a lethal force in their, and not many guys at 155 can stop him. Not now at least.

And what did I tell you about Toby Sorkin? Cocky as all hell, but he proved a point tonight. A lot of people questioned why we would put him in there with an experienced vet like Bill Cumming, but Toby showed why. The fact is, Toby proved in just one fight he isn't hype. Big things could be in his future.

I'm pretty sure that I fell asleep during the TNT/Blood fight. YAWN!

And then there was Thump Monroe...what a fighter! In fact, he was a 2-to-1 underdog coming into this fight! De Vries was ranked the 8th middleweight in the world heading into this fight and taking on an unknown. Not many people gave Monroe a shot.

He was impressive. He put the pressure on him, didn't let up, put De Vries on his back and then proceeded to TKO him. Great showing.

GAMMA 25: Dean vs. Reid!

Lawrence Herringbone def Derek South via. Armbar (3:02, Rd 3) *Decent*

Cyril Kamoze def Ruben Ericsson via KO (1:23, Rd 1) *Good*

Rick Stanley def Tim Boyer via KO (4:05, Rd 1) *Decent*

Matthew Dean def. JJ Reid via TKO to retain his title (3:10, Rd 1) *Good*

Fight of The Night: Kamoze vs Ericsson

KO Of The Night: Cyril Kamoze

Sub Of The Night: Lawrence Herringbone

Walt checking in with ya! Ok, so GAMMA 25 just wrapped and we had a good turnout here in Seattle! First, Lawrence Herringbone looked on point tonight. For a guy his size, standing 6'4", I didn't expect him to bust out some BJJ on Derek South! Impressive win from the big fella.

I was actually really looking forward to the Kamoze/Ericsson bout. I just signed both of these guys not too long ago, and they both knew that nothing was promised to either of them. This was a fight in which one man had to walk away with an impressive showing. Cyril came in swinging for the fences, and it paid off. The kid has a lot of room to grow, but still, it was a decent showing.

The co-main event was big, as it had some title implications tied too it. Boyer was actually supposed to fight Foster recently, but things didn't work out. With a win, Tim would face James but Stanley wasn't a fan of that idea. Now we have to see how things stack up in the title picture.

As expected, Matthew Dean was dominant. For someone that dominates on the ground, I was surprised to see him TKO JJ. Impressive showing from Mr. Dean.

On my way out, I ran into a familiar face, William Harrison. "Will!" I say with a huge smile on my face. "What can I do for ya, buddy!?"

He smirks, looks at me and says, "Give me Sorkin," and walks off.

Harrison vs. Sorkin?

Hmmmm.....

Ok readers, Walt is back! I just did a dead sprint from the office, to my car, then to my house to let you guys know some BIG info!! After being bogged down in the war room for some time, crossing some t's, dotting a couple i's...I can finally say our next episode of Fight Night is SET!!!

We felt that we gave the fans a good show last time around, but we wanted to make that look like recess compared to the Super Bowl. So, feast your eyes upon our four-fight card for the next Fight Night! You won't be let down, I promise.

Fight Night: Foster vs. Carlton!

Main Event: Heavyweight Title

James Foster © [33-4-1] vs. Jeff Carlton [32-7]

Co Main Event:

Mark Cohen [35-7-1] vs. Anthony LeToussier [12-0]

Woody Fierstein [11-2] vs. Thomas Smith [11-1]

Augustin Gonzalez [8-3] vs. Tyler Lass [5-0]

Mark Cohen: Age Is But A Number

It's a Wednesday afternoon. I step into a local bar, it barren, with no signs of customers. I scan the room and see a man in his 30's standing behind the bar watching ESPN on the small TV set hoisted above the bar. I approach.

As I approach, the glum look quickly turns into an ear-to-ear grin. This s how Mark Cohen has always been since I've known him. He looks as if he would rob you if he had the chance, or even beat you up at a bar, but he's as nice as they get. Before we can even talk he gets me a big, bulky cheeseburger and fries from the kitchen.

"I'm getting too old for this," he chuckles.

"Fighting?" I ask.

"What? Oh gosh no! This working nonsense...it sucks!"

The bar I'm at belongs to Mark, this is where he works. "One day I'll open my own MMA gym. You know, when the next generation rolls around and can carry on the torch. I think if was [James] Foster that said not too long ago that we're here laying down the path for the next crop of fighters. I'm fine with that."

Don't let the humbleness of Mark 'The Thing' Cohen fool you, however, he's still as driven as they get. With a meeting against Anthony 'Live Wire' LeToussier right around the corner, Cohen doesn't lose sight of what is in front of him.

"I'm 36," he says. "36, about to be 37 and I'm still fighting. People that I came in with back in the day never evolved from what we did for fun. They never got past the bar fights and the ally-way brawls. They're in jail or can't see straight at this point.

"MMA gave me an outlet. I love what I do, I love the rush that I get from fighting other people. It's a sport, it's two trained men looking to go to war. It's great!"

At his age, Cohen is a relic in the sport of MMA. If there is one thing that we can expect from The Thing is that he won't stop giving it his all until he hangs it up.

GAMMA 26: Rubenstein vs. Patinkin!!

Diego Arteta def Nik Minear via TKO (2:08, Rd 2) *Average*

Christopher Sharp def Tank Manu'a via TKO (4:10, Rd 1) *Good*

Stuart Strange def. Dexter Darling via TKO (4:08, Rd 1) *Great*

Spencer Rubenstein def Junior Patinkin via KO (1:49, Rd 3) *Decent*

Fight of The Night: Strange vs. Darling

KO of The Night: Spencer Rubenstein

Sub of The Night: N/A

Toby Sorkin: "I've never lost, and I never will!"

Walt checking in again...and to nobody's surprise, Toby Sorkin is back at it! This guy just did an interview for his upcoming fight with 8-0 Ken Peters, and all he did was talk trash. He's a pro, I tell you that much. He was actually doing pretty well, being PC and what not, then he was asked the trigger question

Reporter: Are you worried going into your fight with Ken Peters?

Toby: Are you serious? The guy isn't that good, ok? He's 8-0, but who has he beaten that is half as good as me? He doesn't stand a chance that night, sorry Momma Peters.

Reporter: So you're saying you'll win?

Toby: Of course. Look, I've never lost and I never will! I'm the best fighter in GAMMA at 205 pounds. Name one person that can take me out? You can't. You really can't.

Reporter: Do you think you deserve a shot at the belt?[/b]

Toby: Easily. Once I KO Peters, I'll kick in the door to Spencer Rubensteins house and steal the belt right off his waist and watch him cry as I do it. Then I'll hit the gym, bulk up a bit and do the same to Captain America [James Foster.] Then for the hell of it I'll go on a Jenny Craig diet and embarrass Sean Morrison! No one is exempt, I'm gunning for every fighter in GAMMA! And while I'm at it, William Harrison, don't think I didn't hear what you told Walt! You're on my list, too!

Is this guy serious?

Thomas Smith Using Upcoming Fight Night To Introduce Himself

When I went to interview James Foster a few months back, I ran into a kid over at Halvorsen's MMA. He was working the front desk, and struck up a conversation with me while I waited for Foster to finish up his workout. The kid looked familiar, but I just couldn't put a finger on it.

Turns out I was talking to GAMMA middleweight, Thomas 'The Soldier of Fortune' Smith. A talented submission fighter, Smith has gone undetected by the masses for some reason, despite his affiliation to Halvorsen's and being signed to GAMMA.

"It doesn't really bother me," Smith says of his popularity. "I fight. I don't try to win popularity contests, that was what high school was for."

When I met up with Thomas recently, he was gearing up for his fight with Woody Fierstein at the upcoming Fight Night card.

"It's a big deal," he tells me. "This is shaping up to be the biggest MMA event in the history of our sport. I'm extremely blessed to be able to showcase my talents on live TV."

Just got done reading this and I really like where it's going. Giving the fighters some extra character makes them more than just a graphic and some numbers.

It's also interesting watching how it's turning out. I ran Regueiro vs. Stephens as my first main and Stephens smothered a win. I moved Julio straight down to 155lbs and he's been a beast there.

Archived