GAW: Return Of A Legend [ThunderVerse Competition Thread]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As promised, and on time (!), the ThunderVerse GAW: Return Of A Legend competition is here! Last year's Become A Star was about giving a wrestler the opportunity to hit the big time with one of the United States' "Big Four" promotions, this year we are turning that concept on its head. One of the new characters for the mod is Vudu Chief, a former WWWE wrestler who won a poll in 2011 naming him the former WWWE (or RAWA) wrestler most GAW fans wanted to see come out of retirement and join GAW. The move was a success, and Vudu Chief's run with company went down so well with fans that the company has decided to run the competition again. That is where our eight participants come in...

For the eight who make it to the main show, you will be put through four elimination rounds. In each of the first three rounds two participants will be eliminated. The final, which will feature the remaining two characters, will decide which of the participants wins, and receives an eighteen month XPPA deal with GAW, and which participant will be the runner up to be given a touring contract with the company. The six entrants that are eliminated before the final will be placed in the mod as free agents.

Information on each of the rounds will be given when the round begins. Promos will have a deadline of (roughly) four days after the initial guidelines are posted.

The roster of eight participants will be revealed in my next post.

RETURN OF A LEGEND: THE PARTICIPANTS

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/BruceCarson_zpse4bf61a7.jpg

BRUCE CARSON

FORMER RAWA & WWWE

Debut Date: 1987

Size: Middleweight

Finishing Move : The Brucie Bonus (Impact; Swinging Neckbreaker)

BIO: "Mr Primetime" Bruce Carson is perhaps known for being one of the weirder gimmicks to ever get over in mainstream wrestling. For since 1991, Brucie has been well known for playing the role of a gameshow host in many American wrestling promotions. Originally a bland midcarder known as Bruce Jones, a steel chair shot to the head in a televised bout in 1991 caused Brucie to develop a staged amnesia, coming back as television host Bruce Carson and getting over as one of the most entertaining wrestlers of his day. Known for his catchphrase "Didn't I do well" Carson feuded over the years with many wrestlers, usually stemming from a particular gameshow of the week he would make them participate in. He's also well known for always wrestling in a suit.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/ExperimentX_zps28d5d472.jpg

EXPERIMENT X

FORMER WWWE

Debut Date: 1990

Size: Big Heavyweight

Finishing Move: The Final Experiment (Bicycle Kick, Impact)

BIO: Haywood Forrest was nothing, but a simple farm boy who grew up in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska. His hobbies included farming, farming, and watching professional wrestling. After a mysterious fire took down his family's farm, Haywood took a risk to become a professional wrestler. Using a cheap white mask with a giant X painted on, Experiment X was born, completely destroying people in the ring. Catching a break in 1994, WWWE picked up the Experiment X gimmick, and the wrestling dream was completed for Haywood. Experiment X became their residential Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Coming down to the ring sane and calm, but as soon as the match started, he would turn into an unstoppable beast. Experiment X was on his way to the main event spotlight, but a slip up in WWWE's creative department killed that run. The Experiment gave what is considered one of the worst promos in all of professional wrestling. Being released soon after, Haywood roams the indy circuits.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/IMF_zps7839d2e3.jpg

IDRIS MWAI FONSECA

FORMER RAWA & WWWE

Debut Date: 1992

Finishing Move: Currency Stabilizer

BIO: Standing nearly 6' 8" tall and usually weighing close to four hundred pounds, Fonsenca, known to most hardcore wrestling fans as IMF has been a terror to faces in America, mostly in his role as the shadowy 'African Strongman' coming to America with a bucket load of misdirected foreign aid money to cause chaos.

After a short run as a monster heel called 'The African Nightmare' in various small independent promotions in the South, RAWA saw him as a good backing big man to a variety of heels in its dying days, but Fonsenca's mic talent and charisma led him to break out, partly due to his talent and partly due to the lack of talent as checks started bouncing.

After RAWA shut down in 1994, IMF went back to the indies, but then was signed by the WWWE in 1996, but his somewhat edgy 'African Strongman' character in the RAWA was turned closer into an over-the-top villain from a third-rate straight-to-VCR action movie. IMF did his best and stayed for nearly three years as a solid midcard stable in the WWWE, rolling through various members of his 'Entourage', before finally leaving the company in early 2000.

From there, IMF would have a run in CWT, various indies, and even a short stint as purely a manager in Dragon Pro Wrestling. He'd also make several shots in the mid-2000's in the AWF as a slightly more serious version of his character, but he never could get the angle to hang around. Now in his early forties and owner of a chain of Chicken Fingerzzz franchises, IMF is looking for one last shot at glory and broken the dashiki back out of the mothballs.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/JimmyJack_zps5a388d60.jpg

JIMMY JACK

FORMER WWWE

Debut Date: 1994

Nationality: Southern (:p) - American

Finishing Move: Double-Wide Dive (impact)

BIO: In late 1994, The Moonshiners – Billy Ray and Lee Earl – introduced their cousin, Jimmy Jack, to the WWWE. Used initially in 6-man matches to keep the Moonshiners’ feud with The Apache Chief and Cherokee Warrior fresh, Jimmy Jack finally broke through in 1997 after a shocking win in a $50,000 battle royal, gaining the moniker “The Trailer Park Trillionaire.” Inspired by the rags-to-riches story popularized by the hit TV show “The Hollywood Hillbillies,” vignettes aired throughout the year showing the tuxedo t-shirt clad Jimmy Jack first setting his eyes on an “indoor swimming hole” and taking Mya DeLois on a date (though she quickly turned on him in favor of Prince Charmless). Though released from WWWE in 1999, Jimmy Jack continues to portray the Trailer Park Trillionaire in independent shows across the US.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/PyschoTIC_zps58b28f20.jpg

PYSCHOTIC

FORMER WWWE

Debut Date: 1996

Finishing Move: Psycho System (Psycho Driver)

BIO: Dean Copefields was just the average bland jobber in the mid 90s for WWWE until a chance meeting with Silver Beetle inspired him to kick his career up a notch. Convincing the creative team to let him go under a mask, he become the fan favourite Wonder Tic - a person who had his DNA spliced with that of a tic and decided to don a mask and save WWWE's good guys from the bad guys - boosting his career into perennial midcard status. It was only when WWWE pulled the trigger and turned him into the wonderfully deranged criminal mastermind PsychoTIC that his career really pushed off. Becoming a sort of evil genius, PsychoTIC straddled the fine line between genius and insanity, often winning praise for his promo work during these years, although the character was "dumbed down" for WWWE audiences. He took the gimmick as his own after the collapse of WWWE and still works as PsychoTIC to this day, feeling that without the WWWE hampering his promos he could unleash the full potential of the gimmick.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/SoulReaver_zps610dddee.jpg

SOUL REAVER

FORMER WWWE

Debut Date: 1994

Finishing Move: The Final Sacrifice (Impact)

BIO: It is a miracle, or perhaps an indictment of the WWWE creative team, that Soul Reaver didn't make it onto Brian Jack's list of Wrestlecrap gimmicks. The man formerly known as Bradley Thomas spent a few years wrestling under his own name before being signed by the WWWE and being transformed into the supernatural Soul Reaver. Unfortunately Thomas was the only one who really bought into it, as neither the fans nor management saw him as anything more than a joke. He spent most of his career in the WWWE feuding with Prince Charmless, and occasionally teaming with Lugosi, but found himself out of work after the promotion closed in 2001.

Thomas made the surprising decision to head South to Mexico in 2004. It payed off, as the Soul Taker character was a perfect fit for the world of lucha libre, and he was soon signed by ILL. He had a solid six year run in the company, but by 2010 the character had run it's course and he headed back to the United States; looking for one last shot at stardom.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/TerranceWard_zps446f9b9b.jpg

TERRANCE WARD

FORMER RAWA & WWWE

Debut Date: 1992

Size: Heavyweight

Finishing Move: Final Judgment (Submission/Secondary), The Reckoning (Impact/Uber Finisher), Nomad Spike Bomb (Pinfall/Finisher)

BIO: “The Drifter” Terrance Ward is a Texan wrestler who first came to prominence in RAWA in 1994, where he debuted as a masked heel called Nomad who clashed with Rudy Single over some vague bad blood. While the feud unfortunately ended without any payoff when RAWA shut down that same year, Ward bounced back quickly enough when he was signed on by the WWWE. There he wound up retooling his persona to its more known version, portraying himself as a deranged, mysterious stranger who targeted wrestlers for “past crimes” that didn’t seemed to have actually happened. While he only lasted less than a year with the company for a variety of reasons, he kept using that persona when he went back to the independent circuit, and even internationally with Mexican & Japanese promotions.

Also uniquely, Ward managed to develop the gimmick in a two-tone format: realistically being the original depiction of a deranged madman striking at random, and more fantastically being a supernatural entity seeking true justice. This has kept his act fresh yet still recognizable to fans of his RAWA and WWWE runs.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/jhdVerse/WinstonRollins_zpsc7ad0221.jpg

WINSTON ROLLINS

FORMER WWWE

Debut Date: 1991

Finishing Move: Impact - Amazin' Splash (Big Splash from the top rope)

BIO: "The Amazin' Asian" as he is known in his homeland of Hong Kong was a popular Soap Opera actor and part-time wrestler. Born to a chinese mother and american father, Winston Chu Rollins fell in love with the sport of pro wrestling when his family moved to the USA in the mid 80's.

So there you go, the eight participants! A huge thank you to TheEnforcer who rendered all of the characters with the exception of PsychoTIC which is a bit of alting magic on my part (as is Experiment X's mask). Round #1's info will be up sometime tonight :)

RETURN OF A LEGEND: ROUND #1

As mentioned previously each of the four RoaL rounds will be promo rounds. Promos should be PMed to me and
not
posted in this thread. The
deadline
for Round #1 will be
Thursday 3rd January 2013 at 1800 GMT
although if anyone is going to have a problem meeting that target I will, of course, be as flexible as possible. Obviously if people get their promos in earlier than that then there is a good chance that the voting will begin earlier.

Round #1 will feature three questions from the current members of the GAW roster.
All
three of those questions must be answered.

ROUND #1 QUESTIONS

A question from Dr Texas:
So, I've been around the block, done it all. But I've always changed with the times to survive in this business. You boys, you're still doing the same old bit, so what make's your act so special to get a second chance and become a Golden Age Wrestler?

A question from The Devastators:
We're known as the baddest asses around, but you know what, we'd be nothing without each other. What legend would you wanna team up with to come after our GAW American Tag Team Titles, and what makes you think you'd even have a chance?

A question from Blair Brunzell:
Everyone knows me as a tag competitor, but B. Brian Browne is out injured right now. In my shoes, would you wait for your partner to get well again, or strike out on your own?

Any queries just ask, and a big thank you to MJStark for providing this round's questions! Have fun!
:D

RETURN OF A LEGEND: ROUND #1

As mentioned previously each of the four RoaL rounds will be promo rounds. Promos should be PMed to me and
not
posted in this thread. The
deadline
for Round #1 will be
Thursday 3rd January 2013 at 1800 GMT
although if anyone is going to have a problem meeting that target I will, of course, be as flexible as possible. Obviously if people get their promos in earlier than that then there is a good chance that the voting will begin earlier.

Round #1 will feature three questions from the current members of the GAW roster.
All
three of those questions must be answered.

ROUND #1 QUESTIONS

A question from Dr Texas:
So, I've been around the block, done it all. But I've always changed with the times to survive in this business. You boys, you're still doing the same old bit, so what make's your act so special to get a second chance and become a Golden Age Wrestler?

A question from The Devastators:
We're known as the baddest asses around, but you know what, we'd be nothing without each other. What legend would you wanna team up with to come after our GAW American Tag Team Titles, and what makes you think you'd even have a chance?

A question from Blair Brunzell:
Everyone knows me as a tag competitor, but B. Brian Browne is out injured right now. In my shoes, would you wait for your partner to get well again, or strike out on your own?

Any queries just ask, and a big thank you to MJStark for providing this round's questions! Have fun!
:D

Just to be clear, we're answering these in character or out of character? Because the Dr. Texas one seems a little kayfabe breaking...

Just to be clear, we're answering these in character or out of character? Because the Dr. Texas one seems a little kayfabe breaking...

In-character. I wouldn't say that Dr Texas' question is particular kayfabe breaking - he has always wrestled as Dr Texas (or Terry Rapada but it has always been the same 'person'). Dr Texas has changed with the times in terms of his in-ring game, not character.

He's effectively asking what makes your character from 2001 special enough that it should be chosen over the other characters from 2001.

Is there any specific length you're looking for or format?

Similar to BAS, really. I'm not going to put a limit on it because no one pays any attention to them anyway :D

Any format you like - interview, promo etc. Someone wrote an 'email' for a promo in Become A Star, I believe. Wherever your imagination takes you :p

In-character. I wouldn't say that Dr Texas' question is particular kayfabe breaking - he has always wrestled as Dr Texas (or Terry Rapada but it has always been the same 'person'). Dr Texas has changed with the times in terms of his in-ring game, not character.

He's effectively asking what makes your character from 2001 special enough that it should be chosen over the other characters from 2001.

The other ROAL applicants, right?

The other ROAL applicants, right?

Yes, or the current GAW roster, or any other 'legend' you can think of. Dr Texas is asking Terrance Ward why the fans would want to pick the Drifter they haven't seen since 2001, when they could easily pick the Soul Reaver they haven't seen since 2001. Or the Experiment X. What gives Terrance Ward the right to stand there, and claim he has any more claim to a spot on the GAW roster than the other seven people beside him, or the other former WWWE legends that aren't in the competition? Why does he stand out? Why does he deserve it more than the others? What will he bring that is different from the others?

Does that help?

Yes, or the current GAW roster, or any other 'legend' you can think of. Dr Texas is asking Terrance Ward why the fans would want to pick the Drifter they haven't seen since 2001, when they could easily pick the Soul Reaver they haven't seen since 2001. Or the Experiment X. What gives Terrance Ward the right to stand there, and claim he has any more claim to a spot on the GAW roster than the other seven people beside him, or the other former WWWE legends that aren't in the competition? Why does he stand out? Why does he deserve it more than the others? What will he bring that is different from the others?

Does that help?

Very much so. Should be done pretty quickly then! :)

On question #2, when it say legend, does that mean it has to be someone on the GAW roster or can it be any wrestler who has retired?

Any wrestler that would be considered a legend by fans, they don't necessarily have to be retired.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am going to be extending the deadline by one day. That will mean all submissions should be in by Friday 4th January at the latest. I am still waiting for three of the promos, but as none of those individuals have logged on in a couple of days I am willing to give them a little bit of extra time.

However as we need to keep things moving, if I don't receive the promos (or a PM) by then, those characters will be eliminated from the competition and the project will have to be tweaked slightly. :)

Archived