Main Event

Ricardo Arona (14-5/Brazil)

x

Steve Bosse (9-1/Canada)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PURE Fighting Championships II: Cruiserweight Grand Prix Opening Round Preview

After a highly successful first event, PURE returns to business with the beginning of their Cruiserweight Grand Prix. While not nearly as loaded with extremely high profile names, the intrigue and possibilities of exciting fights more than make up for it.

Notables includes the returns of Ricardo Arona and Xande Ribeiro. Newer names like Jimi Manuwa, Yoshiyuki Nakanishi, and Robert Drysdale finally getting their first taste of the limelight where tough tests await for them, as they look to make their mark in the landscape of MMA.

Here are our thoughts on how the card might turn out:

Ricardo Arona (14-5/Brazil) x Steve Bosse (9-1/Canada)

A long-time mainstay in Pride FC, Ricardo Arona has been eerily quiet since Pride went under in 2007, only taking a single fight since then in 2009. Now, he returns to active competition in the main event of PURE Fighting Championships II.

Losing three of his five fights before taking time-off to relax at his home in Brazil, Arona has been noted to have really benefited from the time away from the ring. As seen in his last few fights, his mental toughness seem to have been put in question with his inability to establish a gameplan. Once considered to be the one of the best grapplers in all of MMA, a focused Arona could be bad news for everyone in this Grand Prix.

Steve Bosse, a former hockey enforcer turned mixed martial artist, is looking to take advantage of the biggest fight in his life. Once a heavyweight, Bosse has been fighting at 205 as of recently in hopes of fully realizing his potential in a more appropriate weight class. What he lacks in experience and a well-rounded skillset is forgiven given the serious power he packs in his fist. That alone is a reason not to look past Bosse.

If Arona hadn't been away from the sport for nearly four years, i'd be inclined to chalk this up as a absolute beatdown, but with how unspectacular he looked against Marvin Eastman, we're very weary of just expecting a win out of him. Bosse's power also doesn't bode well for Arona, who has a tendency to keep his hands low and chin high. Regardless, I still expect Arona to pull out a victory with a hard fought decision.

Jimi Manuwa (12-0/England) x Gilbert Yvel (38-16-1/Netherlands)

Jimi Manuwa has been considered one of the brightest prospects in the 205 division for the past year and a half. Great hands, huge power, and a wonderful killer instinct, the writing is on the wall for his potential as a huge star. This Grand Prix could certainly cement him as a star as this field is full of people that he could impressively build his resume with. Will the step up in competition be too much for him, though?

His opponent is the long-time veteran, Gilbert Yvel, who has seemingly revitalized his career with a drop to 205 in the past year. What's interesting is that you can see a lot of what made Yvel such a fan favorite back in the day in Manuwa at this point in time. A ferocious striker with a serious mean streak. This fight could truly act as a passing of the guard.

The main factor in this fight might come down to age. While Yvel certainly has a major advantage in experience, he falls right into Manuwa's game. Yvel has shown a relatively weak chin and Manuwa's mix of power and speed looks to take advantage of that. Manuwa should win this by first round TKO.

Yoshiyuki Nakanishi (12-2/Japan) x Mathias Schuck (7-2/Germany)

Without a doubt the best fighter Japan has to offer in the 205 division, Yoshiyuki Nakanishi is ready to make the most out of a huge opportunity since spending most of his career fighting in Korakuen Hall. Nakanishi has been under the bright lights of a bigger show before, when he faced Melvin Manhoef in ONE last year, a match that ended in an unfortunate no contest. Nakanishi is the type of fighter that is a jack of all trades, as he's proficient in both grappling and striking, his striking being the much stronger of the two. He has shown an ability to falter under serious pressure, as he showed in a knockout loss to fellow PURE fighter Ryuta Sakurai in DEEP.

Mathias Schuck has been relatively quiet since he was once labeled as a potential force in the European scene, that is until he was knocked off his perch by Jonas Billstein. Having won two of his last three since then (the lone loss coming to the underrated Mikhail Zayats), Schuck is starting to regain that momentum he once had two years ago. An extremely imposing figure with great power, strong grappling and a surprisingly impressive gastank for his size, he could definitely make a deep run in the Grand Prix.

On paper and off, this fight should be extremely close as both have very redeeming qualities and skills that could push the fight in their favor. Nakanishi has seemed to have a slightly better level of opposition and his striking is much more refined, which leads us to believe that Nakanishi should do enough to win a decision.

Xande Ribiero (2-0/Brazil) x Yoel Romero Palacio (4-1/Cuba)

One of the most successful Jiu-Jitsu practitioners to have ever made a transition to MMA, Xande Ribeiro has returned after a three year hiatus from the sport, as he returned to focus on the sport that made him famous. In his lone two fights, Xande looked incredibly impressive considering his inexperience with the sport itself, scoring two TKO victories against the incredibly experienced KEI and tough puro artist Takashi Sugiura. Even if that tenacity has been lost since he has last graced the sport, his grappling will surely keep him competitive with whomever he may face.

His opponent had an equally as impressive beginning to his MMA career. Yoel Romero had won his first four fights by TKO, one against solid Pole Michal Fijalka. In his last fight, he was finished by former Strikeforce champ Rafael Feijao, in a bout that was honestly scheduled too soon in his fledgling career, and we have yet to see him back in the ring since. Even with the loss and a riveting performance, Yoel Romero still has much to offer the sport, regardless of being 35. A highly successful wrestler, including a Silver Medal in 2000 Sydney Olympics, and devastating power, albeit sloppily applied.

There are many variables in this fight that could swing the fight in either fighter's way. What is certain is that this has a very good chance at winning the Fight of the Night bonus. While Xande still looks to be a solid competitor and even has age on his side, it seems to be one of those instances where inactivity can be costly. That's why we'll take Yoel Romero by TKO.

Robert Drysdale (5-0/USA) x Raphael Davis (12-2/USA)

Another high level Jiu-Jitsu practitioner turned mixed martial artist, Robert Drysdale looks to make this his new career priority. After making his debut a few years back, Drysdale has been extremely active within the past year and looking decisively impressive at that. While it might be a littler longer to get a hold of a respectable striking game, his grappling has been seemingly unstoppable, although against lower-tier opposition. With how well he has performed, he has more than earned a step up in opposition, which he'll certainly get this weekend.

Raphael Davis has always been a seemingly low profile 205 fighter, unassumingly compiling a respectable record within the division. With wins against Vinny Magalhaes, Jair Goncalves, and fellow Grand Prix participants Tony Lopez and Emanuel Newton, he looked ready to make the jump into the discussion as the best 205 fighter outside of the UFC. That is until he was thoroughly dominated by DJ Linderman in Bellator. Since then, he has won two straight and looks to be back in that discussion as the best outside of the UFC if he manages to win the whole thing.

Raphael Davis has respectable hands and good wrestling but it's hard to go against someone with caliber of grappling as Drysdale has, who on top of that has looked incredible since his debut. Drysdale is our pick to win by second round submission.

Jan Blachowicz (16-3/Poland) x Tony Lopez (32-10/USA)

Currently the best Europe has to offer at 205, KSW Champion Jan Blachowicz is ready to make a statement to the world. While champion, he has faced and beaten respectable competition, including splitting fights with fellow PURE signees Sokoudjou and Mario Miranda. He has shown a very well rounded skillset, able to finish the fight both on the feet and the ground. KSW has certainly groomed him to thrive in opportunities like the one he will receive this weekend.

Tony Lopez is quite possibly the most underrated fighter on the planet, compiling a very impressive record at both Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight, all the while never fighting for a major promotion. He also has a proficiency of playing a major spoiler against up and comers and anyone with a semblance of hype. Might even be as well-rounded as Blachowicz, although his submissions might be a little better.

Never doubt Lopez, who started Abdurahimov's recent downward spiral with an incredibly surprising submission victory. This will definitely be a war, regardless of who wins. Our decision will come down to recent opposition and momentum, which Blachowicz has the advantage in. Blachowicz is our pick to win, by a razor thin decision.

Cristiano Kaminishi (8-1/Brazil) x Hae Joon Yang (7-4/South Korea)

A match between two former heavyweights who built their careers in different Asian circuits, Kaminishi x Yang has all the makings for a fun fight.

Cristiano Kaminishi has become a fixture in the HEAT promotion, winning four in a row there. A highly decorated Jiu-Jitsu practitioner, he showcases dominant grappling and even has strong hands to back that up. The one drawback is that he hasn't fought since 2010, so there will definitely be some visible ring rust. Coupling that with a new weightclass, it could be a rough night.

In 2010, Hae Joon Yang had established himself as one of the brightest young stars in the heavyweight division, with his proficiency to finish fights brutally against noticeably larger opponents. After a proposed deal with Bellator fell through, Yang hit an extremely rough patch, struggling in his next two losses with unimpressive performances. Since then, he has traveled between 185 and 205, with two wins and two losses. He has certainly lost the luster from when he was jokingly referred to as the "Korean Fedor". This could be his last chance to make a splash in the sport.

Kaminishi's inactivity is a bit worrisome, especially against someone as hungry as Yang (pun intended). Depending on how he looks at the weigh-in, Kaminishi has a chance to win but look for Yang to come out like a lion. Yang wins by eventual KO.

Hans Stringer (20-5-2/Netherlands) x Emanuel Newton (18-7-1/USA)

Hans Stringer could be one of the major surprises in the whole Grand Prix, getting 21 wins by the age of 25 and fighting some of Europe's best unsung heroes throughout his career. This is his first shot at a big show and he will be looking to make a statement. A very tough and rugged fighter, which considering his age, could make him a huge threat down the road. Originally a good young grappler with numerous submission wins, he seems to have developed a strong striking game, winning three of his last four by way of TKO. Probably the unanimous dark horse of the tournament.

Standing in Stringer's way is MFC and Bellator veteran, Emanuel Newton. A scrappy fighter with loads of heart, he has overcome adversity on numerous occasions, a perfect quality to have in such a tough road to the championship. He has faced many middle to upper middle tier fighters throughout his career, with great success, especially as of late. His wrestling has been as stifling as it comes as of late and will allow him to grind out and weaken many possible opponents that await him.

Both Stringer and Newton have performed very well in recent times but we'll have to side with Newton with his higher opposition of quality and good wrestling ability. He wins by unanimous decision.

PURE Fighting Championships II: Cruiserweight Grand Prix Opening Round Official Weigh-In and Press Conference; Yang and Kaminishi Both Come In Overweight

Again, we are live from the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills for the offical weigh-in/press conference for PURE's Cruiserweight Grand Prix Opening Round.

In a strange turn of events, both Hae Jun Yang and Cristiano Kaminishi missed their marks and came in overweight, an occurrence that doesn't happen very often. Both fighters will have 10% of their fight purse docked but will remain in the Grand Prix. All other fighters made weight perfectly as you'll see below:

Ricardo Arona (205) x Steve Bosse (205)

Gilbert Yvel (205) x Jimi Manuwa (205)

Yoshiyuki Nakanishi (205) x Mathias Schuck (205)

Xande Ribeiro (205) x Yoel Romero (205)

Robert Drysdale (205) x Raphael Davis (205)

Jan Blachowicz (205) x Tony Lopez (205)

Cristiano Kaminishi (208)* x Hae Jun Yang (211)*

Hans Stringer (205) x Emanuel Newton (205)

Per usual, PURE also held a press conference for the event immediately after. Here are the notable quotes from each of the fighters:

Ricardo Arona:

"It feels great to finally be back in fighting form and i've missed fighting in Japan very dearly. When Pride died, it felt like a part of myself died with it. So, I took some time off, enjoyed myself on the beautiful Brazilian beaches, and I now I feel like i'm rejuvenated. I'm ready to win the championship."

"I still feel as if i'm a strong fighter. It will take some getting used to, of course, but I think i'll deal with my opponent well enough."

Steve Bosse:

"It's kind of a culture shock for me, as i've never been outside of North America. I've been treated with much gratuity and it's going to be a pleasure to show off my skills in front of such a respectable crowd."

"I'm very excited to be in the main event with one of the biggest names in JMMA's recent history. I do hope that he's on top of his game because I feel like i'm at the best i've ever been. I've been working a lot on my grappling and I hope I can keep it standing so I send the crowd home happy with a spectacular knockout."

Gilbert Yvel:

"To be back in Japan is truly a dream come true. I know I don't have much left in my tank so I want to finish my career here. I want to finish my career on top of the world."

"Jimi is very impressive fighter. He has definitely earned all the hype and accolades. He has never fought someone like me though. I aim to go toe to toe with him and humble him with a brutal ko."

Jimi Manuwa:

"I've been waiting for this day a very long time. I know i'm ready for the spotlight and I want to prove how i'm going to be the best in the world, one step at a time. I've been training very hard, so I feel like i'm at 100% as a fighter. I'm not going to stop there though, i'm going to go beyond that with this grand prix."

"I respect Gilbert for all that he has done in the sport, but his time has gone. It's time for him to move on and make room for guys like me. I know many people would like to wish him the best and see him make a run, but he's a threat to my career, as is everyone else fighting tomorrow night. I want to put people on watch as I finish him."

Yoshiyuki Nakanishi:

"I feel like I have accomplished all I could do as DEEP champion, so i'm definitely ready to take that next step in my career. I'm ready to be tested in every fight from now on. I aim to bring a championship to Japan in the near future."

"Schuck is a scary looking guy *laughs* but i'm ready for anything. I stood toe to toe with Manhoef after all and my leg paid for it! *laughs* I just hope for a great fight for the fans and I just want to make my country proud, as i'm sure he would. We're going to put on a show tomorrow night and everyone will know i'm here to stay."

Mathias Schuck:

"I'm not one with monologues or anything but i'd just like to say I appreciate the warm welcome I have gotten from everyone here. I just want to fight and win fights. That's all I ever aim to do. It sounds like Nakanishi is ready, so i'd like for him to know that i'm more than ready to fight him tomorrow night."

Xande Ribeiro:

"I originally just wanted to venture into MMA as a sort of a side project, just to test my skills further. Needless to say, I passed with flying colors. I've done my thing in Jiu-Jitsu for now, as I feel as if i've done all I could do in the sport currently, so i'm ready to come back to the sport for the time being. It's a tremendous opportunity to become a champion, so I couldn't turn it down. Don't think that since i've been away, I lost anything. No, i'm better than ever and i'm ready to test everyone else's skill this time around."

"Yoel and I will have a great fight, at least I believe so. He's got great wrestling and punching power and I think that mixes perfectly with my style. Unfortunately for him, i'll end up on top but until then, we're going to please the crowd."

Yoel Romero:

"This feels like my last shot at greatness. I won't retire or anything if I lose, but I definitely feel this could be my last chance at a championship. You better believe i'm going to go out there and get business done. My last loss taught me a lot, so i've been in camp religiously so I don't ever know how that feels again."

"I think i've taken this fighting thing a little more seriously than Alexandre has ever will and does. This isn't a side project to me, this is now my life. I've trained extensively to frustrate him and put him out as quickly as possible. My boxing has gotten better and I think I can nullify him. It's going to be a tough fight but i'm very confident in myself."

Robert Drysdale:

"I've slowly started my career, just getting a feel of things inside and out of this ring. I believe i've got the hang of it now and i'm ready to face the best the world has to offer. I still have much to learn but I feel as if fights are the best experience possible and I look to take as many as possible."

"Raphael is a tough dude. It's not going to be an easy fight at any stretch. He's shown the ability to make huge mistakes though. I'm planning on fighting smart and taking advantage of what he gives me."

Raphael Davis:

"I'm at a position where I need to go for broke. I have to win fights from here on out. I lost my last chance at a championship quickly and it was disheartening. I've bounced back since and I will do anything in my greatest power to have that belt around my waist."

"I'm actually looking forward to facing someone of Drysdale's caliber. He hasn't accomplished much in this field but in the grappling world, he's done so much in such a short amount of this that you could hardly dream of accomplishing. I want to be the one to show him defeat for the first time, though. I feel as if i'll be doing him a favor *laughs*"

Jan Blachowicz:

"I've been fighting for this moment for years now. I've beaten the best KSW had to offer me and now i'm ready to show the world the strength of Poland. I don't care who I have to face, all I know is that I will be victorious."

"I know of Tony Lopez, he's a very tough test, but i'm not some prospect. I'm a veteran in my own right and I will beat him at his own game, on the ground or on the feet. It's time for him to be spoiled."

Tony Lopez:

"I feel so gratified fighting on the big stage. I have paid my dues and have more than earned the opportunity, I believe. I will make the most of this opportunity and prove to PURE why i'm a good signing for them. When you see me with the belt, don't be surprised because i'm the first to tell you so."

"I think Jan is a solid fighter but I feel as if KSW handpicked his opponents. There is no more of that. I will pressure him like he's never been before. I will give him a real test."

Cristiano Kaminishi:

"I had a bit of a rough cut to 205. I have the body type for this weightclass but it was harder than I ever anticipated since i've never actually fought at this weight before. I apologize to PURE for such an inconvenience, so i'll fight to erase any memory of that tomorrow night."

"I think Yang is an incredible fighter who has just found himself in a streak of tough luck. He's definitely got talent but I don't think he has found himself as a fighter yet. He has time to grow but I don't think he'll find himself back in his winning ways against me."

Hae Jun Yang:

"I don't mean to make any excuses but it was definitely tough watching my weight after fluctuating from heavyweight to middleweight throughout the past few years. I didn't want to kill myself getting there but I think i'll be able to make it next time."

"Kaminishi has a long night ahead of him. I don't think the weight advantage i'll have will be enough to give me a unfair advantage, so it'll still be an even fight. My hands are definitely better and while I worry about his grappling, I don't think i'll end up on my back. I will try to put him out on the feet, absolutely."

Hans Stringer:

"I'm ready for the next level. I've really rounded myself well in terms of a fighter. I'm very confident in my submissions and i'm ever improving in my striking. I'm really looking forward to an improvement in my opposition."

"Newton is a solid guy. He's not unbeatable though, clearly evident by his record. He's looked well as of late and I know he'll be a good test for me, so I will give him respect, but i'm going out there to win and that's exactly what i'll do."

Emanuel Newton:

"Within the last year, I think i've really hit my mark as a mixed martial artist as i'm feeling confident about everything I have to offer with my skillset. I've felt the agony of defeat and that has just allowed me to evolve with every fight that has passed. I'm not afraid of losing but I am afraid of not fighting at my greatest ability."

"Hans has talent but he's got plenty of time to grow. He's nothing I ever haven't faced before so I think i'm fully capable of beating him. He could show some new tricks, I won't know until we get in the ring, but i'm happy with my last camp and i'm fully prepared to give him the fight of his life."

PURE Fighting Championships II: Cruiserweight Grand Prix Opening Round is expected to have a sold out crowd tomorrow night at the Ariake Colosseum.

PURE Fighting Championships II: Cruiserweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Ariake Colosseum (9,951)

WE ARE LIVE, from the Ariake Colosseum in Tokyo, Japan for PURE's second event in a line of many more to follow, the Opening Round for the Cruiserweight Grand Prix, otherwise known as the Light Heavyweight division worldwide.

We are unfortunately suffering from technical difficulties due to the amount of lighting rigs being equipped tonight, but we are getting a permanent fix applied right as we're speaking.

http://www.freewebs.com/hawkster1665/tokyoariake.jpg

Typical ring set-up for the Ariake Colosseum tonight, the usual layout that NOAH uses for their shows. The differences being the entrance stage and ramp being located directly on the south end stands, allowing for more seats on floor level. We now have word that the techincal difficulties are solved and we ARE UNDERWAY FOR THE OPENING CEREMONIES!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nobMHGTi8_g/TI5JuT0rTDI/AAAAAAAADoY/X5gmVSlu1nY/s400/2010091316521460006_2.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman! Welcome to the Ariake Colosseum for PURE Fighting Championships II: Cruiserweight Grand Prix Opening Round!

Sixteen of the best cruiserweights in the world are here tonight to prove themselves worthy of championship glory. The road to the gold begins TONIGHT! Who will become one step closer to immortality?

This is sport. This is art. This is excellence. THIS. IS. PURE.

"Introducing first, from the United States, EEEMAAAANNUEL NEWWWWTONNN"

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/428/696/SetWidth445-Bellator-72-emanuel-newton_display_image.jpg?1342753191

"His opponent, from Netherlands, HAAAANS STRIIIIINNNGERRR"

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/thumbnail_crop/600/_images/pictures/20090904080942_200908230986.JPG

"Second match. From South Korea, HAEE JUUUN YAAAAAANG"

http://www.tapology.com/system/letterbox_images/4755/default/Hae%20Jun-Yang.jpeg?1309487166

"From Brazil, CRIIISTIIAAANOOO KAMAAANIIIIIISHIII"

http://www.superlutas.com.br/fotos/Cristiano-Kaminishi-superlu.jpg_3881cc4dcb1a1c8152d8628cd039dfe4.jpg

"Third match. From the United States, TOOONYYYY LOOOOOPEZZZZ"

http://img.poptower.com/pic-14261/tony-lopez.jpg?d=600

"From Poland, JAAAANNN BLAAACHOOOWICZ"

http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/default/files/janb.jpg

"Fourth match. From the United States, RAPHAAAEELLLL DAAAAAVISS

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/400/PC/PCBGWSZLSYZFJGM.20120207031413.png

"Also from the United States, ROOOBERRRTT DRYYYYSDAAALEEE"

image.jpg

"Fifth match. From Cuba, YOOOEEEELL ROOOOMERRROOOO"

http://www.mmaspot.com/images/uploads/image/fighterprofiles/Palacio,%20Yoel.jpg

"From Brazil, XAAAANDEEE RIIIBEIIIRROOOO"

http://oklahomamartialartstraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/xande-ribeiro.jpg

"Sixth match. From Germany, MAATHIIIAAAS SCHUUUUUUCK"

http://media.ostsee-zeitung.de/images/oz/artikel/400x400/7/r/4/0000j4r7.jpg

"From JAPAN, YOOSHIIIYUUUUKII NAAAKAAANIIIIIISHIIII"

http://www.abudhabiwarriors.com/modules/uploader/uploads/news/pictures_news/crop2/%E4%B8%AD%E8%A5%BF%E3%83%99%E3%83%AB%E3%83%88.jpg

"Seventh match. From England, JIIMMMIIIII MAAANNUUUUWAAAA"

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Jimi-Manuwa1.jpg

"From Netherlands, GILLLLBERTTT YYYYYVELLLLL"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/5/5c/Yvel.jpg

"MAIN EVENT. From Canada, STEEEEEVE BOOOOSSSEEE"

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Steve-Bosse-Instinct-MMA.jpg

"From Brazil, RIIIICAAARRRDOOOO AAAARRROOOOOOOOONAAAAA"

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/arona1.jpg

Opening Match: Emanuel Newton x Hans Stringer

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>An errant jab sets Stringer up to counter-strike with a barrage of big right hands!

>Stringer tries for a left jab but Newton uses head movement to avoid it.

>Slipping past a left jab, Stringer hits a series of quick punches.

>Stringer tries for a left jab but Newton uses head movement to avoid it.

>Both fighters come in and exchange strikes, but neither does any damage.

>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up grappling.

>Newton is trying to push Stringer so that his back is up against the ropes.

>He does so, and now has Stringer pinned to the ropes.

>Newton uses a vicious foot stomp.

>Showing good control, Newton keeps Stringer stuck against the ropes and hits him with short punches to the body for about thirty seconds.

>Stringer is controlled up against the ropes and takes a few right hands via some dirty boxing.

>Stringer is controlled up against the ropes and takes a few right hands via some dirty boxing.

>Stringer is trapped against the ropes and Newton hits him with a short left uppercut.

>Newton hits Stringer, who is pressed up against the ropes, with a nice short uppercut.

>The referee decides that the grappling against the ropes has been going on too long, and he brings them back to the center.

>Newton slips out of the way of a jab.

>Stringer catches Newton with a kick to the inside of the thigh.

>A quick exchange of strikes produces nothing worth mentioning.

>We are now at the halfway point of the round.

>Stringer comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Newton tries to avoid the takedown.

>The takedown doesn't work, Newton saw it coming and got out of range.

>Emanuel Newton is breathing very hard.

>Stringer slams a crisp right into the gloves of Newton, but can't follow up.

>Not letting Stringer settle at all, Newton comes in closer.

>A visibly tired Newton is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Stringer.

>Stringer counters with a right hand that catches Newton flush...and he goes down!

>Moving quickly, Stringer comes in looking to finish with soccer kicks and stomps!

>Stringer hits several big stomps and kicks, but Newton somehow hangs on!

>Stringer avoids an up-kick and is able to catch Newton with a nice punch.

>Newton gets caught with a right hand from Stringer, who remains standing, hovering over his opponent.

>On his back, Newton watches as Stringer comes in looking to get a dominant ground position.

>Stringer dives in, but Newton pushes him away and starts to scramble.

>Newton ends up in side control.

>Newton tries to ensnare Stringer in an americana.

>Stringer defends himself well.

>Stringer tries to sweep Newton but can't do it.

>Breathing very hard, Hans Stringer is looking ragged.

>Newton unloads with some big right hands, but Stringer deals with them comfortably.

>Newton blocks an attempted sweep.

>The end of the round is coming quick, there's under a minute left.

>Newton is trying to move from side control to mount.

>He is too good for Stringer, and has mount.

>Emanuel Newton looks very, very tired.

>Round one is brought to an end as time runs out.

Round 2:

>And here we go, round two!

>Stringer feints stepping in.

>There's a ragged-looking takedown attempt from a visibly tired Newton.

>Stringer stuffs the takedown, so Newton has to settle for pushing him up against the ropes.

>Newton has worked in the underhooks and looks to take Stringer down.

>He lifts his opponent and drives him down with a Greco-Roman slam! He gets side control of it!

>Newton attempts to move to mount.

>He can't get the mount.

>Emanuel Newton looks like he is almost out on his feet with exhaustion.

>Newton blocks an attempt to pull guard.

>Newton tries to lock Stringer in an arm triangle.

>Stringer blocks it.

>Stringer tries to move to guard, but Newton doesn't allow it.

>Hans Stringer seems to be fighting against exhaustion.

>In side control, Newton catches his breath, content just to throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Stringer tries to sweep Newton but can't.

>Stuck under side control, Stringer takes a knee to the ribs.

>The lengthy period of stalemate results in the referee standing them both back up.

>There's a ragged-looking takedown attempt from a visibly tired Newton.

>Newton eats a stiff counter right hand and almost goes down!

>Newton catches a right body kick and goes for a takedown, down goes Stringer! He pulls guard though.

>Newton throws a few right hands, but is mainly trying to catch his breath.

>In guard, Newton catches his breath, content just to throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Newton doesn't posture up, perhaps wary of submissions, instead using small strikes while keeping his head on his opponent's chest.

>Stringer grabs hold of an arm and attempts a triangle choke on Newton from the bottom of the guard.

>Stringer gets the triangle fully applied...and there's the tap out!

>Hans Stringer takes the win by submission!

>Official Result: Hans Stringer defeats Emanuel Newton (Submission (Triangle With Armbar) in 5:49 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Two: Hae Jun Yang x Cristiano Kaminishi

Round 1:

>There's the opening bell!

>Yang moves out of range of a flurry of punches.

>They both meet with strikes, but neither does any damage.

>Yang looks to be trying to close the distance between them.

>Seeing an opportunity, Kaminishi avoids the grapple and goes straight for a takedown, but Yang is equal to it.

>Kaminishi is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Kaminishi can't close the distance, Yang keeps him away with strikes.

>Yang counters a left jab by using a straight left.

>A straight left fails to land and Kaminishi is able to fire back with a quick series of punches.

>Yang uses a nice left jab to prevent Kaminishi from getting closer.

>Kaminishi throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Yang.

>A good sprawl stops the takedown, and Kaminishi is brought down to the mat in a loose front facelock.

>Yang unloads with big right hands to the side of the head, landing several that clearly hurt Kaminishi.

>Kaminishi is rolled over onto his back, where Yang secures side control.

>In side control, Yang begins working to get a mount.

>Kaminishi rolls to the side to try and escape the mount, but only succeeds in giving up his back instead.

>We go past the halfway point of this round.

>Kaminishi is in huge trouble now, as Yang successfully gets both hooks in.

>With both hooks in, Yang tries to flatten Kaminishi out for the rear naked choke.

>Kaminishi defends himself well against the choke.

>Yang, with both hooks in, attempts to get a rear naked choke fully applied.

>Kaminishi fights off the rear naked choke attempt.

>With both hooks in, Yang tries to flatten Kaminishi out for the rear naked choke.

>Yang gets the rear naked choke fully applied and Kaminishi has to tap

>The winner, by submission; Hae Joon Yang!

>Official Result: Hae Joon Yang defeats Cristiano Kaminishi (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 7:18 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Match Three: Tony Lopez x Jan Blachowicz

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>A feint sets up a kick to the body, but Lopez manages to just avoid it.

>Lopez comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Blachowicz.

>To counter, Blachowicz throws a big right cross but only finds the gloves.

>Blachowicz slips past a left jab and counters with a leg kick.

>Lopez shoots in, looking for a takedown.

>The takedown doesn't work, Blachowicz stuffed it.

>Blachowicz avoids a jab and scores with a sharp kick just above the hip.

>Blachowicz counters a left jab by using a left jab to the cheek.

>Blachowicz comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Lopez sprawls to stop the takedown, then pulls Blachowicz up close into a clinch.

>Lopez is trying to muscle Blachowicz up against the ropes.

>Lopez can't do it though, and ends up being out-wrestled in the grapple.

>Lopez smothers Blachowicz when he tries to use some dirty boxing, and gains the upper hand in the grapple as a result.

>Lopez can't do it though, and ends up being out-wrestled in the grapple.

>The grappling doesn't last long, as they soon break away from each other.

>Lopez counters a wayward low right kick with a jab.

>Lopez shoots in for a takedown.

>Blachowicz stuffs the takedown attempt.

>Blachowicz comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.

>Blachowicz is in the pocket, ready to attack Lopez.

>Lopez displays good head movement to duck under a wild spinning back fist.

>Lopez comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Blachowicz.

>Blachowicz ends up grappling for supremacy with Lopez.

>Using his wrestling skills, Lopez is trying to push Blachowicz up against the ropes.

>Lopez can't do it though, and Blachowicz gets a more dominant position in the grapple instead.

>Blachowicz throws a few close-range strikes, but Lopez smothers the shots and takes control of the grappling.

>Blachowicz out-wrestles him though.

>Blachowicz finds his dirty boxing smothered, and Lopez gains the dominant position in the grapple.

>Using his wrestling skills, Lopez is trying to push Blachowicz up against the ropes.

>Blachowicz out-wrestles him though.

>Blachowicz throws a few close-range strikes, but Lopez smothers the shots and takes control of the grappling.

>Tony Lopez looks very tired out there.

>The lengthy period of stalemate results in the referee separating them.

>Despite being tired, Lopez looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Blachowicz.

>Lopez is now standing in the pocket.

>A right cross misses, giving Blachowicz the perfect angle to counter-strike with a solid punch.

>We have one minute of the round remaining.

>Using head movement, Lopez slips past a left jab and counters with a straight left.

>A left jab misses the mark and allows Lopez to counter with a straight left.

>Blachowicz catches Lopez with a series of quick left jabs.

>Time expires and we come to the end of round one.

Round 2:

>There's the bell and round number two begins!

>Blachowicz throws a left jab but Lopez avoids it.

>Jan Blachowicz looks very tired out there.

>Lopez throws a couple of jabs, a set up for a tired-looking takedown attempt on Blachowicz.

>Blachowicz sprawls well, and Lopez is forced down to his knees, almost turtled up.

>Blachowicz unloads with big right hands to the side of the head, landing several that clearly hurt Lopez.

>Lopez, turtled up, takes a painful-looking soccer kick the body!

>Fearing more kicks coming, Lopez rolls onto his back.

>Blachowicz hits a kick to the knee.

>Jan Blachowicz looks like he is on the verge of exhaustion.

>On his back, Lopez watches as Blachowicz comes in looking to get a dominant ground position.

>Blachowicz can't hold Lopez down and a scramble starts.

>Blachowicz ends up having to pull half guard, losing out in the scramble.

>Tony Lopez looks like he is on the verge of exhaustion.

>Lopez tries to ensnare Blachowicz in a kimura.

>Blachowicz defends it well.

>Blachowicz attempts to guillotine Lopez from the bottom of half guard.

>The guillotine is locked in, tight enough that Lopez has to tap out!

>Jan Blachowicz takes the win by submission!

>Official Result: Jan Blachowicz defeats 'Kryptonite' Tony Lopez (Submission (Guillotine) in 3:13 of round 2). The match was rated as being Decent.

Match Four: Raphael Davis x Robert Drysdale

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Drysdale avoids a kick to the leg and hits a solid left.

>An exchange of strikes goes nowhere.

>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up clinched.

>Davis tries to wrestle Drysdale backward and up against the ropes.

>Davis does it, Drysdale is stuck with his back to the ropes.

>Davis tries to use some dirty boxing, but Drysdale uses wrestling to nullify any potential damage.

>Drysdale struggles back against Davis, not allowing him to control the grappling.

>Drysdale manages to slap on a standing guillotine choke, and takes Davis down with it!

>Drysdale gets the guillotine but despite his best efforts he cannot force the tap out!

>It looks like the choke is not perfectly applied, and that is allowing Davis to breathe.

>The hold is released, Drysdale realised that he was gassing his arms on an attempt that wasn't going to finish the fight.

>Drysdale fights off Davis as he tries to smother him against the ground.

>Drysdale grabs an arm and raises his legs, trying to lock Davis into a triangle choke.

>Davis blocks the triangle attempt.

>Davis throws a few right hands as he takes a moment to plan ahead.

>In guard, Davis throws a couple of punches designed to keep Drysdale guessing.

>Davis wants to stand up, but cannot get out of guard.

>Drysdale attempts to secure an arm.

>Davis almost falls victim to a kimura, but in the end settles for being swept into side control.

>Drysdale attempts to arm triangle Davis from side control.

>The arm triangle is fully applied, Davis has no option but to tap out!

>Robert Drysdale takes the victory by way of submission!

>Official Result: Robert Drysdale defeats Raphael Davis (Submission (Arm Triangle) in 4:51 of round 1). The match was rated as being Decent.

Match Five: Yoel Romero x Xande Ribeiro

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Suddenly, Ribeiro dives forward and tries to grab a leg!

>Grabbing a leg, Ribeiro looks for a kneebar but Romero blocks it from being applied.

>Romero does have to fall backward though, and ends up pulling guard.

>Time slips away as Ribeiro successfully keeps Romero stuck against the ground.

>Ribeiro pounds away from the guard, but is unable to land many clean shots on Romero.

>Ribeiro deflects a couple of punches that Romero threw from below.

>Ribeiro unloads with big elbows from the guard, but Romero is able to deal with most of them.

>Ribeiro leans back to avoid a couple of wild swings from Romero.

>Ribeiro unloads with big right hands from the guard, but Romero is able to deal with most of them.

>Ribeiro deflects a couple of punches that Romero threw from below.

>Romero is controlled against the ground, unable to shift Ribeiro off of him.

>Ribeiro starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>Advancing his position fairly easily, he passes to side control.

>Ribeiro attempts to roll Romero slightly and take his back.

>Romero rolls to the side to try and escape, but gives up his back!

>Ribeiro tries to set up Romero for an armbar.

>The armbar is fully applied, Romero has no option but to tap out!

>Alexandre Ribeiro takes the victory by way of submission!

>Official Result: Alexandre 'Xande' Ribeiro defeats Yoel 'Soldier of God' Romero (Submission (Armbar) in 4:24 of round 1). The match was rated as being Decent.

Match Six: Mathias Schuck x Yoshiyuki Nakanishi

Round 1:

>The fight begins!

>Nakanishi walks into a hard leg kick.

>Nakanishi catches a right body kick and shows his judo roots by instinctively going for a trip takedown, but it is stuffed.

>Nakanishi slips out of the way of a jab.

>Nakanishi comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Nakanishi can't get past the sprawl of Schuck, and finds himself pushed face-down to the ground.

>Schuck pounds away with rights, hitting several big shots to the body and side of the head.

>Sensing a knee strike about to be thrown, Nakanishi scoots backward quickly and springs to his feet.

>Nakanishi steps back to avoid a flurry of punches.

>Moving in closer, Nakanishi looks like he may want to wrestle Schuck.

>Nakanishi grabs Schuck and pulls him into a grapple.

>Nakanishi, controlling the grapple with Schuck, tries to scoop him up for a slam.

>Schuck defends it excellently though, slipping behind and taking the back of Nakanishi!

>Schuck successfully gets both hooks in, and seems primed to finish.

>Schuck, with both hooks in, attempts to get a rear naked choke fully applied.

>Nakanishi doesn't allow the rear naked choke to be applied.

>Schuck maintains his hooks, despite Nakanishi trying to break them.

>Nakanishi fights off the rear naked choke attempt.

>With both hooks in and therefore great control of the body, Schuck tries to finish Nakanishi off with a rear naked choke.

>Nakanishi stops Schuck from getting his arm under the chin and completing the choke.

>Schuck, with both hooks fully in, tries to get the rear naked choke applied.

>Nakanishi stops Schuck from getting his arm under the chin and completing the choke.

>Yoshiyuki Nakanishi is looking really tired.

>Nakanishi defends himself well against the choke.

>Nakanishi tries to improve his chances of survival by breaking free of the hooks, but they're too tight.

>With both hooks in, Schuck tries to flatten Nakanishi out for the rear naked choke.

>Schuck attempts to complete a rear naked choke, having both hooks fully in.

>Mathias Schuck is breathing very hard.

>Nakanishi struggles against Schuck and manages to free himself from the hooks.

>Yoshiyuki Nakanishi looks like he doesn't have a lot left to give.

>Schuck tries to lock Nakanishi in an armbar.

>Nakanishi pulls free of the armbar attempt, leaving Schuck lying flat, easily secured in side control.

>Nakanishi attempts to move to mount.

>He finds himself unable to get the mount on this attempt.

>Round one ends as time expires.

Round 2:

>We are back underway!

>Between rounds, his corner told Schuck to try and use counter striking in this round.

>A right jab misses and Schuck counters with a kick to the body.

>Schuck uses a big kick to the outside of the right thigh.

>Yoshiyuki Nakanishi won't want to take too many unchecked strikes to the legs like that.

>Nakanishi, who looks drained, comes forward looking for a takedown.

>Nakanishi gets caught with a right cross though, and his wobbly legs can't support him...down he goes!

>Schuck dives in quickly and secures mount on the dazed Nakanishi!

>Schuck pounds away from the mount with elbows, but is unable to land many clean shots on Nakanishi.

>From the looks of things, I don't think Mathias Schuck has much energy left.

>Schuck pounds away with punches from the mount, hitting several big shots.

>Schuck fires away with big punches, but Nakanishi covers up and doesn't take any undue damage.

>Schuck blocks an attempt to move him from mount.

>Schuck unloads with some big elbows, but Nakanishi deals with them comfortably.

>Schuck blocks Nakanishi as he tries a sweep.

>Yoshiyuki Nakanishi looks like he is completely out of gas.

>Schuck pounds away from the mount with elbows, but Nakanishi covers up and defends them well.

>Mathias Schuck looks like he is completely out of gas.

>Schuck blocks an attempt to move him from mount.

>Schuck unloads with some big elbows, but Nakanishi deals with them comfortably.

>Nakanishi tries to roll Schuck, but only succeeds in giving up his back!

>Nakanishi is in increasing trouble, as Schuck gets both hooks in.

>Schuck keeps both hooks, despite Nakanishi trying to pull them apart.

>Nakanishi struggles against Schuck but cannot get himself free from the hooks.

>Nakanishi doesn't allow the arm to go under his chin.

>Nakanishi tries to improve his chances of survival by breaking free of the hooks, but they're too tight.

>With both hooks in and therefore great control of the body, Schuck tries to finish Nakanishi off with a rear naked choke.

>Schuck maintains his hooks, despite Nakanishi trying to break them.

>Schuck flattens Nakanishi out with the rear naked choke in deep and forces the tap!

>Mathias Schuck takes the win by submission!

>Official Result: Mathias Schuck defeats Yoshiyuki Nakanishi (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 8:07 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Seven: Jimi Manuwa x Gilbert Yvel

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes, but neither scores.

>Manuwa uses a nice combination as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Yvel stuffs the takedown attempt.

>Manuwa is getting in closer to Yvel, perhaps looking for a clinch.

>He pulls Yvel into a Muay Thai clinch.

>From the clinch, Manuwa drives a brutal elbow to the side of the head.

>Yvel has been cut above his eye, blood is trickling down.

>Manuwa maintains his control of the clinch despite Yvel trying to grapple out of it.

>Using the clinch, Manuwa hits a big elbow to the face of Yvel.

>Manuwa keeps control of the clinch despite missing a knee strike.

>Using the clinch, Manuwa hits a vicious knee to the face! Yvel crumples to the ground, out cold!

Knock Out; Jimi Manuwa!

>Official Result: Jimi 'The Poster Boy' Manuwa defeats Gilbert 'The Hurricane' Yvel (Knock Out (Knee) in 2:36 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Main Event: Steve Bosse x Ricardo Arona

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Bosse slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>Arona comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Bosse gets taken down by a single leg, and has to pull guard.

>Arona starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>Bosse keeps his guard secure.

>Bosse raises his legs and tries to get Arona into a triangle choke.

>Arona blocks the attempt.

>Arona punches down at Bosse, but they are easily taken on the gloves.

>Bosse tries to pull Arona in close and pepper him with short strikes, but can't.

>Arona looks to get past the guard.

>He passes to half guard.

>Arona attempts to pass half guard and gain a better position.

>Getting his leg free with ease, he gets to side control.

>Arona begins trying to get himself into a mount.

>Arona takes the back instead, Bosse rolled over rather than get mounted.

>Arona successfully gets both hooks in, and seems primed to finish.

>With both hooks in and therefore great control of the body, Arona tries to finish Bosse off with a rear naked choke.

>Bosse stops Arona from getting his arm under the chin and completing the choke.

>Bosse struggles against Arona but cannot get himself free from the hooks.

>With both hooks in and therefore great control of the body, Arona tries to finish Bosse off with a rear naked choke.

>The rear naked choke is in deep, Bosse has to tap out!

>The winner, by submission, is Ricardo 'The Brazilian Tiger' Arona!

>Official Result: Ricardo 'The Brazilian Tiger' Arona defeats Steve 'The Boss' Bosse (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 5:47 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

CWGP Quarterfinals:

Ricardo Arona x Hans Stringer

Jimi Manuwa x Hae Jun Yang

Mathias Schuck x Jan Blachowicz

Xande Ribeiro x Robert Drysdale

Prediction Standings:

Jingo: 12-4 (FLAWLESS VICTORY)

completesky: 9-7

CageRage: 9-7

Jayden: 5-3

PURE Fighting Championships III Card Finalized; First of Two Cards in April

In what is set to be a busy month for PURE, they have finalized the first of two cards for the next month, the Middleweight Grand Prix Opening Round. The Opening Round will be held at the Yokohama Arena.

Both Akira Maeda and Matchmaker Sartin have very high hopes for this card, feeling as if this may be their most stacked card yet and chock full of fighters that deliver. The card will be anchored by KSW Superstar Mamed Khalidov, returning to Japan for the first time since his championship loss to Jorge Santiago, who is also not only in the field but the co-main event. Khalidov's opponent will be UFC and M-1 veteran Mario Miranda.

The finalized card for the Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round will be announced immediately after the MWGP Opening Round has completed. It is slated to take place the fourth week of April.

PURE Fighting Championships III: Middleweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Yokohama Arena/ 2nd Week of April

Opening Match

Jake Rosholt (12-5/USA)

x

Danillo Villefort (13-4/Brazil)

Match Two

John Phillips (16-5/Wales)

x

Rumen Dimitrov (12-0-2/Bulgaria)

Match Three

Nobutatsu Suzuki (9-1-2/Japan)

x

Magomed Sultanakhmedov (18-5/Russia)

Match Four

Ralek Gracie (3-0/Brazil)

x

Frank Trigg (21-9/USA)

Match Five

Ryuta Sakurai (23-17-6/Japan)

x

Jack Marshman (11-2/Wales)

Match Six

Denis Kang (35-16-2/Canada)

x

Hiroshi Izumi (4-2/Japan)

Match Seven

Jorge Santiago (25-10/Brazil)

x

Dave Branch (11-3/USA)

Main Event

Mamed Khalidov (26-4-2/Poland)

x

Mario Miranda (14-5/Brazil)

@ Yokohama Arena/ 2nd Week of April

Opening Match

Jake Rosholt (12-5/USA)

x

Match Two

x

Match Three

x

Match Four

x

Frank Trigg (21-9/USA)

Match Five

x

Match Six

x

Match Seven

x

Dave Branch (11-3/USA)

Main Event

x

Opening Match

Jake Rosholt (12-5/USA)

x

Match Two

x

Match Three

x

Match Four

x

Frank Trigg (21-9/USA)

Match Five

x

Match Six

x

Match Seven

x

Dave Branch (11-3/USA)

Main Event

x

Opening Match

Jake Rosholt (12-5/USA)

x

Match Two

x

Match Three

x

Match Four

x

Frank Trigg (21-9/USA)

Match Five

x

Match Six

x

Match Seven

x

Dave Branch (11-3/USA)

Main Event

x

PURE Fighting Championships III: Middleweight Grand Prix Opening Round Preview

This weekend, PURE returns with a card that has many hardcore fans extremely interested. The Middleweight Grand Prix offers fans many notable names, upcoming fighters, and the blueprints for highly entertaining fights.

Yokohama Arena will play host to many fighters that have a great opportunity at becoming champion such as Khalidov, Santiago, Kang, Trigg, Ralek Gracie, and Ryuta Sakurai. Even lesser known fighters such as Rumen Dimitrov and Nobutatsu Suzuki have a serious chance at experiencing championship glory.

Without further ado, here is our preview for this fantastic card:

Mamed Khalidov (26-4-2/Poland) x Mario Miranda (14-5/Brazil)

The main event of the evening serves as a fight that should send the crowd home happily, as it has the makings to be a quality scrap.

Mamed Khalidov has steadily built himself as one of the best middleweights in the world today. With an attractive record, crowd pleasing style, and a very well-rounded skillset, the world looks to be in the palm of his hands with this upcoming grand prix. While he could still afford to tighten up aspects of his game, such as better takedown defense, what he currently is still serves as a major threat to anyone in this field.

Mario Miranda was once considered one of the hottest prospects at 185, fighting a who's who of regional stars and performing very well. That is until he made it into the UFC, where he was exposed as needing a little more refinement. Since then he has won and lost the M-1 Middleweight title, showing little improvement since his time in the UFC. While this may be cause for concern, especially considering his age for a prospect, his excellent mix of grappling and strong punching power could still give fits to many fighters in this field.

Verdict: If Miranda were fighting anyone else in the field, we'd be more inclined to give him more of a chance at victory. Unfortunately for him, he'll be going against the star and hottest fighter in the whole grand prix. Khalidov has him nearly outgunned in every aspect of MMA, that's why we'll go with Khalidov by TKO.

Jorge Santiago (25-10/Brazil) x Dave Branch (11-3/USA)

For the first time since 2009, Jorge Santiago returns to the country that revitalized his career, where he was able to reign as Sengoku champion for many fights and took part in what is arguably the greatest fight of all time in the rematch with Kazuo Misaki. His opponent Dave Branch, will be making his worldwide debut and look to further his career against a solid name in front of the partisan crowd.

Since leaving Sengoku, Santiago has went back to his ways of old, dropping the majority of his fights since then against Stann and Maia in the UFC. He made a temporary jump to 170, as he scored a pair of victories. Now he returns to Japan, back at 185, to claim another belt. While he has good hands and strong grappling, his notoriously weak chin will certainly hold him back in what seems to be a strong field. Only time will tell whether he can make another dream run.

Dave Branch had moderate success in the UFC, scoring a handful of victories, but clearly didn't show enough to stick around. The unfortunate thing is that Branch isn't a bad fighter by any means, just not elite, so he will certainly make the most of another large opportunity since dabbling in WSOF. His strongest ability is his grappling with a good understanding of submissions and a stifling top game. While his hands aren't terrible, they certainly aren't great either, which leads to a distinct advantage to any grappler with good striking ability.

Verdict: Both are excellent fighters in their own right but someone has to win. Since Santiago shouldn't have to worry about getting knocked out, he has enough advantages elsewhere to carry him to victory. Our pick is Santiago by decision.

Denis Kang (35-16-2/Canada) x Hiroshi Izumi (4-2/Japan)

In a fight that has many Japanese fans at attention, long-time favorite Denis Kang goes up against Hiroshi Izumi, who makes his long anticipated drop to 185. This fight has many underlying stories behind it like, will Kang turn his career around and make his last run a memorable one? or will the drop to 185 be exactly what Izumi need to find himself as a fighter? Not to mention, the fight shouldn't be half bad either.

Denis Kang is very familiar to those who have watch JMMA for years, even those that haven't should know of him. Kang has been around since MMA was first getting regulated. Always that fighter who has all of the talent in the world; good striking, solid grappling, outstanding athleticism. An unfortunate string of tragedies held his career back, allowing him to become mentally fragile in terms of fight IQ. All feels like a waste, but there are hopes that Kang could make that one last run and end up on top.

Hiroshi Izumi was one of the largest signings of 2008, along with Satoshi Ishii, for Sengoku with his high level background in judo. Soon after, he made his debut in a disappointing performance against kickboxer Antz Nansen. Since then, he has looked awfully inconsistent. While showing decent hands for such a young career, as he packs a good punch, he does take a lot of needless punishment and will sometimes coast with his judo background and grind out a victory. No one will doubt his heart though, with his fighting spirit and not backing down from ridiculous challenges such as fighting Mousasi in only his sixth fight. Izumi is hoping that the change in scenery will bring his career to life.

Verdict: On paper, Kang should win this easily. While taking actuality in to consideration, this fight is almost as even as you could possibly get. Kang has a considerable experience advantage but he's a bit of an enigma as you don't know what to expect with him. Izumi will fight with vigor but will that be enough. There's only two ways to see this fight ending: Kang by TKO or Izumi by Submission. We'll go with Kang by TKO.

Ryuta Sakurai (23-17-6/Japan) x Jack Marshman (11-2/Wales)

This grand prix could very well be Ryuta Sakurai's swan song, fighting on the Japanese circuit since the mid 90s. His opponent is upcoming Welsh fighter Jack Marshman, who's looking to make a name off of a notable opponent on his way to the biggest fights of his life.

One of Japan's unsung heroes, Ryuta Sakurai has never really fought on the larger stage outside of a few fights in Pride. Sakurai is looking to go out with a bang and end his career with an exclamation. While never being an elite fighter, Sakurai is one of the toughest fighters in the world today, always willing to stand and bang and finish the fight regardless of the situation.

Relatively new to the sport, Jack Marshman has gained a following in his homeland for his penchance to brawl and his ability to withstand damage. At his extremely young age, he has many years to improve, but it could also hurt him in such an experienced field. It also doesn't help that he's apt to make careless mistakes.

Verdict: This fight has a very good chance at fight of the night, as both fighters fight nearly identical. In a fight like that, you have to go with the more experienced of the two. That's why we'll take Ryuta Sakurai by late submission.

Ralek Gracie (3-0/Brazil) x Frank Trigg (21-9/USA)

In what seems to be the most interesting bout of the evening, Ralek Gracie returns to MMA for the first time since his win over Kazushi Sakuraba, as he faces a Frank Trigg who returns to his most successful division as of late, 185.

If it weren't for Roger, Ralek Gracie would be the most notable Gracie in MMA today. In only three fights he defeated likes of Sakuraba, Shibata, and Gadzhiyev, two of those fighters with tremendous experience advantages, He also has an extremely tenacious skillset, both in grappling and while standing over someone on their back. He could make a huge splash within the next two years.

Frank Trigg has done it all. Fought everywhere. Announced. Somewhat of an MMA philanthropist. He returns to the ring this weekend with his biggest fight at 185 in years. A jack of all trades, he does everything sufficiently well, but as age passes him by, so does the rest of the world's talent worldwide. This might be the last time we see Trigg as an active competitor.

Verdict: Trigg might cause problems early on, due to Ralek's inactivity, but as fight goes on, expect Ralek to grow comfortable and start imposing his game. Trigg is also very apt to submissions and against someone with high level jiu-jitsu, this will be his downfall. Ralek by first round submission.

Nobutatsu Suzuki (9-1-2/Japan) x Magomed Sultanakhmedov (18-5/Russia)

Simply put, this will be a pure striker's delight. Nobu's devastating punching power against White Wolf's stinging leg kicks. This fight won't last long but it'll surely be fun as long as it does.

Nobutatsu Suzuki is a ZST product, where he has gradually built his record up and destroyed everyone he has ever faced there by way of brutal knockouts. In last year's Vale Tudo Japan even, his non-existant ground game was exposed by elite Japanese grappler, K-Taro Nakamura. As long as the fight stays on the feet, Nobu will put anyone in danger. He isn't entirely too active, considering his minimal record and age, but he does train numerous Japanese fighters with striking, so ring rust might not be too much a problem.

Magomed Sultanakhmedov has been impressing people by leaps and bounds with his devastating array of kicks. Ever since being eliminated the opening round of DREAM's MWGP, Sultanakhmedov has been on an absolute tear. Unfortunately, after his last bout he suffered a severe knee injury which put him on the shelf for the last year. He has since been cleared for competition but it is unknown how much of an effect it will have on him as of now.

Verdict: This fight can honestly go either way, with both fighter's capabilities of ending the fight at any second, but the more well-rounded fighter will have the advantage, which is Sultanakhmedov. Although he is coming off of a major layoff, his mix of both kicks and solid punches lead us to believe that he will win by eventual knockout.

John Phillips (16-5/Wales) x Rumen Dimitrov (12-0-2/Bulgaria)

The White Mike Tyson, John Phillips lives his moniker. Aiming to end every fight before even a though of touching the ground occurs, Phillips is without a doubt one of the most exciting fighters out of Europe. With that style comes major downfalls, as his grappling is very weak. With what he lacks in grappling, he more than makes up for in toughness, frustrating many opponents.

Rumen Dimitrov is making his first apperance at the big stage, carrying with him a slew of knockouts and much hype. What makes him not only a prospect but a potential champion is his world class Sambo. Not only does he have the ability to put your lights out but he has a great understanding of grappling and submissions, even though he has yet to really show that part of his game.

Verdict: Phillips is a tough test but it's hard to pick against the skillset of Dimitrov. Look for Dimitrov to make an emphatic statement, as he finishes this fight on the ground by submission or TKO.

Jake Rosholt (12-5/USA) x Danillo Villefort (13-4/Brazil)

The opening bout offers us two very solid middleweights, both with an opportunity to knock off the top ranked Khalidov in the next round. That alone makes this a fight to keep an eye on, as both are very capable of doing so.

Jake Rosholt is a very tenacious wrestler, with ability to utilize potent ground and pound, whether that constitutes hands, knees, or elbows, they all work well in his favor. The one weakness in his game is his ability to fight back from adversity. If he finds himself in trouble, he usually panics, which allows him to get either knocked out or submitted with ease. If he is ever to fix this, he could be a major threat in the division.

Danillo Villefort started his career as a welterweight, compiling a decent record and showing great grappling and average striking. After he was released by the UFC, he moved to 185 and began to go on a tear, winning four in a row with victories against notable names like Joe Villasenor and Matt Horwich. He also started improving greatly in terms of striking, with an ability to throw combos and mix it in well with grappling, creating a potent mix. Unfortunately, he has lost once since then due to a recurring problem of giving the fight away when frustrated. As with Rosholt, if he were able to fix his mental weaknesses, he could just as easily become a threat.

Verdict: This fight seems to be razor thin, as both fighters have advantages that could easily swing the fight in their favor. While both have similarities, the one distinct advantage one has is the ability to finish. That's why Rosholt will be our pick with a TKO victory.

PURE Fighting Championships III: Middleweight Grand Prix Opening Round Official Weigh-In and Press Conference

Live from the Rose Hotel Yokohama, PURE ventures outside of the Tokyo area for the first time to hold the Opening Round to their MWGP. As it's their first time visiting a new area, there is a definite buzz surrounding the Rose Hotel's conference room. PURE is also expecting a great turnout for tomorrow night's event and plan on returning again based on how the card turns out.

In comforting news, all fighters hit their marks and all fights will go on as planned, a contrast from the last event that saw two fighters miss weight.

Here are the highlights of this evening's press conference:

Mamed Khalidov:

"In a way, I feel disrespected never giving the fair shot at success outside of Poland. At least in the long term. I'm happy that PURE has given me this opportunity to return to Japan and show everyone that I am the best Middleweight here today."

"I'm not worried about Mario Miranda. I don't want people to think i'm overlooking my opponent but I believe he offers me nothing I haven't faced before. I'm looking forward to showing all of my skills tomorrow night."

Mario Miranda:

"To be in the main event is an honor. I'm going to show people tomorrow night why I deserve to be here."

"Mamed is an incredible fighter. I feel as if he's going to bring the best out of me, so i'll give him the best I have to offer. I feel like my hands and grappling will frustrate him. I won't be a stepping stone for him, anything but."

Jorge Santiago:

"I was fighting at 170 momentarily but I come back to Japan to prove I can beat people with skill, not a weight advantage. I've beaten Khalidov before so I feel like if he wants to be the best, he'll have to go through me and that goes for everyone else as well."

"Dave Branch is a solid fighter, he's got good grappling but that won't be enough for him to beat me tomorrow night. I want to not only beat him but I want to dominate him."

Dave Branch:

"This is the best i've ever felt before a fight. I feel unstoppable. My confidence has multiplied since I left the UFC and i'm going to reach my next level with this fight i'm about to have. People better watch out for me, because i'm fighting with a chip on my shoulder."

"Jorge is going to have his hands full tomorrow night. I'm feeling better about my striking so grappling isn't all he has to worry about. All i'm aiming to do is to fight smart and knock him out."

Denis Kang:

"My loss to Melvin Manhoef really kicked my ass into shape. I mulled over things and I finally admitted to myself that I don't have much left in me with my fight career. I've got to start fighting with that fire I once had. I just want steamroll through everyone. This is the best training camp I have had in years and they're really pushing me to fight at my greatest ability."

"I really don't know what to expect with Izumi. Totally different kind of fighter than who I was originally supposed to fight. I know he's got pretty high level grappling and from what i've heard, his boxing is ever improving but I don't know how he'll deal with the weight cut. I'm just going to fight my fight and take advantage of any opportunity he gives me."

Hiroshi Izumi:

"I feel good. I don't feel drained whatsoever, so i'm not worried about losing my breath or anything. I want to implement everything i've learned in training since I've last fought. I won't give up until I win the championship."

"I'm really excited to fight someone the caliber of Denis Kang. Come fight time, all of the respect and admiration will be gone. I'm in the ring for one thing only, and that is to win."

Ryuta Sakurai:

"This has definitely felt like a long time coming. I've had my chances at the big time once before, but this time feels different. Ever since my fight with Khalidov years ago, I feel like i'm the best i've ever been. I'm not going to let this opportunity slip through my hands because honestly, this will be my last chance at greatness."

"I'm happy with my opponent. I think we'll put on an incredible show for the fans tomorrow night. I'm going to do everything I can to finish him and make my country proud."

Jack Marshman:

"When I got a call from PURE, I just jumped at the opportunity immediately. I've been stuck in limbo with BAMMA, so to be able to have a stable home is certainly comforting. Not to mention, i'm in line for a title shot, it's just up to me to get there."

"To be honest, I don't know all too much about Sakurai. You could say he was a bit before my time. I do know all that he's done for the sport here and for that, i'm thankful for the chance to face him at his home. I know we're going to have a great fight and I want to prove myself as a warrior to the fans tomorrow."

Ralek Gracie:

"I have aspirations to be a musical artist but I feel like I still have more to do in MMA before I focus on something else. I'm not ready to move on to my next part of life quite yet, but i'll be having fun tomorrow night and i'll show everyone a great show."

"I want to challenge myself as a fighter, so I think Frank Trigg is a great opponent for my return. I want to make the most of my MMA career and I feel like taking shortcuts is selling myself short. I just want tough fights from here on out."

Frank Trigg:

"It's always been a pleasure to fight in Japan and i'm glad that I could return for this tournament. Everyone in this tournament is extremely talented and i'm appreciative that these could possibly be my last opponents I ever face. It's about time I call it a career so I want to show people I can still hang with the best."

"I don't think Ralek is taking this as seriously as he'd like you to believe. If he was really committed to this sport, he would've never left in the first place. He's making a mistake coming back with me as his opponent. I'm planning on giving him a veteran ass whipping."

Nobutatsu Suzuki:

"I'm ready to take my fight career to the next level. The K-Taro loss has motivated me quite a bit, as it's been more of an outside expenditure. I've gone beyond training people to getting training for myself with these same guys. I've been in camp with Masakazu Imanari, Satoru Kitaoka, and even Shinya Aoki at Evolve. I feel great about my skill level right now as i'm still improving and becoming more than just a KO machine."

"I just hope Magomed is ready for more than what i've shown before. I feel dangerous and I will show him just how dangerous I really am."

Magomed Sultanakhmedov:

"I've rehabbed well and i'm very eager to return to the ring to do what I do best. I might have a little work to do to return back to full ring shape but I feel like i'm at good enough shape to perform well."

"I've heard and seen many things about my opponent. He is vicious but i'm not worried at all. When I get in the ring, I have no fear. I want to destroy anyone who stands in my way. You might have the ability to knock me out, but so do I; and I will.

John Phillips:

"Needless to say, I am amped to fight here tomorrow night. The bright lights, the roar of the crowd, this makes me better. I want people to say to themselves after seeing me fight that wow, this guy is a star."

"Rumen is going to bring the best out of me. He's got a Sambo background but he prefers to keep things standing, which is absolutely fine to me *laughs* I know we're going to give the fans a treat tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing the people chant my name after I put him to sleep too."

Rumen Dimitrov:

"This is a massive opportunity for me. A life-changing ordeal. I'm not fighting for myself and accolades, i'm fighting for survival and the well being of my family. I'm training night and day so I can be set for life. This tournament is mine."

"John Phillips has strong hands. I've been training my boxing extensively so I can be more technically sound. So I hope he's not expecting a brawl, because i'm going to break him down with technicality."

Jake Rosholt:

"I'm going to keep it short. I'm here to win fights. I will defeat everyone. Get used to this face, because it's going to be everywhere soon. Danillo stands no chance against me."

Danillo Villefort:

"If Jake isn't going to give me respect, I will return the favor. He's not going to accomplish sh*t. You have talent, yes, but you won't show any of that tomorrow night after i'm done with you.

@ Yokohama Arena (15,245)

Welcome everyone! As we are live from the Yokohama Arena for the third grand prix of PURE's scheduled eight. This is the beginning of the Middleweight Grand Prix! We have an excellent crowd tonight for an equally excellent card of fights.

http://i.imgur.com/EUFAn.jpg

The lights are dimmed, the spotlight is on, and WE ARE NOW UNDERWAY FOR TONIGHT'S OPENING CEREMONY!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/OGDjzUAXla8/0.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman! Welcome to the Yokohama Arena for PURE Fighting Championships III: Middleweight Grand Prix Opening Round!

Sixteen fighters. Eight countries represented. Only eight will survive and further prove who will reign supreme and gain that extra step to championship glory!

This is sport. This is art. This is excellence. THIS. IS. PURE!

"Introducing first, from the United States, JAAAAKE ROOOOSHOOLLLT"

http://www.fighters.com/images/fighters/15423.jpg

"His opponent, from Brazil, DAAANNNIIIILLOO VIIIILLEEEFORT"

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/villefort_danillo5.jpg

"Second bout. From Bulgaria, RUUUUMMEEENNNN DIIMMIIIIITROOOOVV"

http://www1.cdn.sherdog.com/image_crop/200/300/_images/fighter/20100718112204_dimitrov.JPG

"From Wales, JOOOHHNNNNN PHIIILLLLIPPPS"

http://www.mmaspot.com/images/uploads/image/fighterprofiles/Phillips,%20John.jpg

"Third bout. From Russia, MAAGOOOMMMEDDD SULLLTANNAAAKKHHMEDOVVVV"

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Sultanakhmedov.jpg

"From JAPAN, NOOOBUUUUTAAAATSUUUU SUUUUUZUUUUKIIII"

http://www2.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20101126101503_101123_194848untitled.JPG

"Fourth bout. From the United States, FRAAAANNKKK TRIIIIGGGGGG"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/4/44/Trigg.jpg

"From Brazil, RAAAAALEKKK GRAAAAACIEEEEE"

http://www.dreamofficial.com/free/fighters/img/big/1275021220.jpg

"Fifth bout. From Wales, JAAACKKKKK MAARRRRSHMANNNNN"

http://cageradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/B7_JackMarshman_002SMALL.jpg

"From JAPAN, RYUUUUUTAAAA SAAAKKUUUUURAIIIIII"

http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/images/fighter/210_l.jpg

"Sixth bout. From JAPAN, HIIIIIIRROOOOOSHIIII IIIIIIZUUUUUMIIIII"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/e/e8/HIzumi.jpg

"From Canada, DENNNNIISSSS KAAAAAANGGG"

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/denis-kang.jpg

"Seventh bout. From the United States, DAAAVVVE BRAANNNNNCHHH"

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mma/players/full/2504246.png&w=350&h=254

"From Brazil, JJOORRRRGGGEE SAANNNNNTIIIIAAAAGGOOOOO"

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jorge_santiago.jpg

"MAIN EVENT. From Brazil, MARRRIIIOOOO MIRRRRANNNNNDAAAAA"

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mma/players/full/2502604.png&w=350&h=254

"From Poland, MAAAMMEEDDDDD KHAAAALIIIIDOOOOVVVVV"

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Khalidov.jpg

Opening Match: Jake Rosholt x Danillo Villefort

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Villefort counters a left jab with a solid left jab.

>Villefort counters a left jab with a jab.

>Villefort uses a nice combination as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>The takedown is unsuccessful, Rosholt blocked Villefort.

>Villefort looks to be trying to close the distance between them.

>Villefort grabs Rosholt and pulls him into a grapple.

>With Rosholt in his grasp, Villefort tries to set up a judo-style throw.

>Rosholt shows stubborn resistance and Villefort cannot execute the throw.

>A whizzer almost allows Rosholt to create enough space to get free, but Villefort shuts that opportunity down.

>Villefort attempts to set up a judo-based throw to take Rosholt to the ground.

>Villefort uses a nice inside leg trip and Rosholt is forced to pull guard!

>Villefort throws a few right hands to the body.

>Villefort throws a few strikes, but is clearly slowing things down so that he can catch his breath.

>Villefort gets pushed back thanks to a butterfly guard, and stands, looking down at Rosholt who remains on his back.

>Villefort tries to come in and secure a ground position.

>Villefort can't hold Rosholt down and a scramble starts.

>Villefort ends up having to pull half guard, losing out in the scramble.

>Rosholt punches down at Villefort, but they are easily taken on the gloves.

>Villefort tries to pull Rosholt into a guillotine choke from the bottom of half guard.

>Rosholt defends it well.

>Rosholt is trying to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>Villefort keeps Rosholt in half guard.

>Villefort reaches over and tries to lock Rosholt in a guillotine.

>Rosholt defends it well.

>Rosholt fires away with big punches, but Villefort keeps the half guard secure and doesn't take any undue damage.

>Villefort reaches over and tries to lock Rosholt in a guillotine.

>Rosholt blocks it.

>Rosholt attempts to pass half guard and gain a better position.

>Getting his leg free with ease, he gets to side control.

>In side control, Rosholt begins working to get a mount.

>He doesn't get the mount, but only because Villefort rolled over and gave up his back instead.

>Rosholt increases his control by getting both hooks in.

>Rosholt attempts to complete a rear naked choke, having both hooks fully in.

>Villefort doesn't allow the rear naked choke to be applied.

>With both hooks in, Rosholt tries to flatten Villefort out for the rear naked choke.

>Villefort doesn't allow the rear naked choke to be applied.

>Rosholt maintains his hooks, despite Villefort trying to break them.

>Rosholt, with both hooks in, attempts to get a rear naked choke fully applied.

>The rear naked choke is fully applied, but Rosholt can't claim the submission because the round ends right then!

>The time is up, and that's the end of round one.

Round 2:

>Rosholt slips out of the way of a combination of short sharp punches.

>Rosholt avoids a quick jab and hits a solid left.

>Villefort counters a left jab by hitting a nice three-punch combination.

>A couple of quick punches are used to set up a takedown attempt from Rosholt.

>He has the takedown! Villefort pulls guard.

>Rosholt starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>He passes to side control.

>Villefort takes a knee strike to the ribs from under side control.

>Rosholt fires away with rights, and Villefort is taking powerful shot after powerful shot!

>The referee pulls Rosholt away, stopping the match!

>The winner, by TKO; Jake Rosholt!

>Official Result: Jake Rosholt defeats Danillo 'Indio' Villefort (TKO (Strikes) in 2:13 of round 2). The match was rated as being Great.

Match Two: Rumen Dimitrov x John Phillips

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Phillips counters a left jab with a barrage of hard right hands, enough to put Dimitrov down!

>Phillips senses victory and starts to unload with punches!

>Phillips pounds away on Dimitrov, landing several great shots that rock Dimitrov!

>Dimitrov finally manages to pull Phillips into side control to survive.

>Looking to catch his breath, Phillips is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Dimitrov bursts into life and tries to scramble into a better position.

>The scramble results in Phillips having to turtle, with Dimitrov holding him down while facing him.

>Seeing that a soccer kick is about to be thrown to the body, Phillips springs to his feet.

>Dimitrov uses a flurry of lefts and rights to get Phillips to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.

>Phillips sees the takedown coming and tries to move.

>Phillips avoids the takedown attempt.

>Phillips comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.

>The two fighters move closer, ready to strike.

>Using head movement, Dimitrov slips past a left jab and counters with a jab.

>Phillips easily side-steps a wild flying knee and hits a huge right cross and Dimitrov is knocked clean out!

>The winner, by Knock Out, is John 'The White Mike Tyson' Phillips!

>Official Result: John 'The White Mike Tyson' Phillips defeats Rumen 'The Twin' Dimitrov (Knock Out (Punch) in 3:10 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Match Three: Magomed Sultanakhmedov x Nobutatsu Suzuki

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Sultanakhmedov circles away, creating some distance between them.

>A weak right kick is countered by Sultanakhmedov with a series of quick punches.

>Suzuki is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Suzuki is in the pocket, ready to attack Sultanakhmedov.

>Showing good footwork and reactions, Sultanakhmedov avoids a body kick.

>Sultanakhmedov uses head movement to dodge a jab, and counters with a series of quick jabs.

>There is an exchange of strikes, but neither fighter does any damage.

>An exchange of strikes doesn't lead to any real damage.

>In close proximity from the strikes they threw, they fall into a messy clinch.

>Suzuki throws a few close-range strikes, but Sultanakhmedov smothers the shots and takes control of the grappling.

>Sultanakhmedov is trying to muscle Suzuki up against the ropes.

>Suzuki ends up backed against the ropes.

>Sultanakhmedov catches Suzuki with a knee strike to the thigh.

>Suzuki is controlled up against the ropes and takes an elbow to the face from the clinch.

>Sultanakhmedov steps back from Suzuki and looks to unleash some strikes.

>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes, but neither scores.

>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up grappling.

>Using his wrestling skills, Suzuki is trying to push Sultanakhmedov up against the ropes.

>Sultanakhmedov isn't going anywhere though, and manages to slip out of the grapple entirely.

>After a flurry of punches miss, Suzuki is able to strike back with a vicious leg kick.

>Suzuki avoids a quick jab and hits a series of hard rights!

>A showdown where they both exchange strikes only results in a stalemate.

>Suzuki is looking to muscle Sultanakhmedov back against the ropes.

>Suzuki doesn't manage it though, as Sultanakhmedov slips out of the grapple and gets away.

>A left hand misses, allowing Sultanakhmedov to counter with a solid left jab.

>Backing out of range, Sultanakhmedov circles tentatively.

>Suzuki presses in closer to attack.

>Suzuki looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Sultanakhmedov.

>Suzuki is in the pocket, ready to attack Sultanakhmedov.

>Suzuki tries for a left jab but Sultanakhmedov uses head movement to avoid it.

>Both fighters throw strikes, no significant damage is inflicted by either.

>They wind up in a tight clinch.

>Suzuki is aiming to get Sultanakhmedov into a Muay Thai clinch.

>Suzuki doesn't manage it though, as Sultanakhmedov slips out of the grapple and gets away.

>Both fighters fire off strikes, neither produces any significant damage.

>In close proximity from the strikes they threw, they fall into a messy clinch.

>Suzuki looks to get some strikes in, but Sultanakhmedov seizes the moment and wrestles his way into control of the grapple.

>Sultanakhmedov is trying to lock Suzuki into a Muay Thai clinch.

>Sultanakhmedov achieves it, Suzuki could not fight out of it.

>From the clinch, Sultanakhmedov drives a knee into the face of Suzuki!

>Sultanakhmedov tries a knee strike, but Suzuki blocks it and wrestles his way out of the Muay Thai clinch.

>Nobutatsu Suzuki is looking really tired.

Round 2:

>There's the bell for the start of the round!

>It sounded like his corner told Suzuki to push for takedowns in this round.

>Suzuki gets caught with a series of quick punches.

>There's a ragged-looking takedown attempt from a visibly tired Suzuki.

>Suzuki can't get past the sprawl of Sultanakhmedov, and finds himself pushed face-down to the ground.

>Sultanakhmedov looks to hit a knee strike, but Suzuki is back up too quickly.

>Both throw strikes at each other, both easily defend the other's attempt.

>An attempted inside leg kick misses, giving Sultanakhmedov the opportunity to counter with a quick series of punches.

>A left jab misses and Suzuki strikes back with a right kick to the thigh.

>Sultanakhmedov circles around Suzuki.

>Not letting up, Suzuki quickly steps in closer to attack Sultanakhmedov.

>Magomed Sultanakhmedov is breathing very hard.

>Suzuki, who is visibly tired, looks like he might want to get in close and clinch with Sultanakhmedov.

>Strikes from Sultanakhmedov keep Suzuki from stepping in too close, and he is forced to step back.

>Suzuki throws a wild and sloppy right hand as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Suzuki walks into a big left jab, landing right on the cheek.

>Nobutatsu Suzuki looks like he is on the verge of exhaustion.

>Suzuki avoids a quick jab and hits a hard right kick to the legs.

>Magomed Sultanakhmedov won't want to take too many unchecked strikes to the legs like that.

>A leg kick misses badly, giving Sultanakhmedov an opening to score with a stinging left jab.

>Suzuki throws a wild and sloppy right hand as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>A counter left catches Suzuki above the eye.

>A leg kick misses badly, giving Sultanakhmedov an opening to score with a crisp jab.

>Slowly moving in closer, a ragged-looking Sultanakhmedov wants to wrestle Suzuki.

>Suzuki finds himself pulled into a grappling contest.

>Magomed Sultanakhmedov seems to be fighting against exhaustion.

>Sultanakhmedov is aiming to get Suzuki into a Muay Thai clinch.

>He has it hooked, Suzuki needs to find a way out quickly.

>Using the clinch, Sultanakhmedov blasts Suzuki with a powerful knee to the cheek! Suzuki is knocked out!

>The winner, by Knock Out, is Magomed 'White Wolf' Sultanakhmedov!

>Post-Fight: Suzuki hints in an interview that he was not 100% mentally prepared, and that is why he lost.

>Official Result: Magomed 'White Wolf' Sultanakhmedov defeats Nobutatsu Suzuki (Knock Out (Knee) in 6:02 of round 2). The match was rated as being Average.

Match Four: Frank Trigg x Ralek Gracie

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Gracie avoids a flurry of punches.

>Both fighters come in and throw strikes, there is no real damage done by either.

>Trigg is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Gracie.

>They start grappling, Gracie looks happy to engage Trigg at close quarters.

>Trigg and Gracie break the grapple and are apart again, circling.

>Gracie throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Trigg.

>Trigg tries to step away from the takedown.

>Trigg avoids the takedown attempt.

>Gracie avoids a jab and scores with a left jab to the cheek.

>A flicked jab from Trigg only finds gloves.

>Gracie quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>Gracie throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Trigg.

>Trigg tries to step away from the takedown.

>Gracie doesn't get the takedown, Trigg avoided it.

>Gracie slams a crisp right into the gloves of Trigg, but can't follow up.

>Trigg doesn't press the issue, allowing Gracie to circle.

>An exchange of blows doesn't really produce any damage or a clear advantage.

>Trigg looks like he might be trying to get in close and wrestle with Gracie.

>Gracie moves in too, and they start to grapple.

>Trigg is looking to muscle Gracie back against the ropes.

>Trigg can't do it though, and Gracie is able to get free.

>Trigg is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Gracie.

>Gracie ends up grappling for supremacy with Trigg.

>Trigg and Gracie separate and we're back to a stand-off.

>Trigg throws a swift jab but doesn't do any damage.

>Gracie comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Trigg tries to avoid Gracie.

>Gracie can't get the takedown, Trigg was too quick to back away.

>Gracie throws a swift jab but doesn't do any damage.

>The fight slows as Trigg sits back and allows Gracie to circle.

>Trigg circles around Gracie.

>Gracie looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Gracie cannot get close enough to the elusive Trigg.

>Gracie comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>The takedown is successful, Trigg pulls guard.

>Gracie throws a few weak-looking punches as he decides on his next move.

>Gracie looks to pass guard and get side control.

>Gracie is too much for Trigg, passing guard and gaining side control.

>We move into the final sixty seconds of this round.

>Gracie attempts the mount.

>Gracie shows his ground skills and slips to mount.

>Gracie attempts a gogoplata.

>Trigg doesn't allow the gogoplata to be applied.

Round 2:

>Gracie slips past a left jab and counters with a crisp left hand punch.

>Trigg avoids a kick to the leg and hits a clean jab.

>Gracie counters a left jab by hitting a stinging leg kick.

>They come together and throw strikes, both miss.

>Using his wrestling skills, Gracie is trying to push Trigg up against the ropes.

>Gracie achieves it, pinning Trigg to the ropes.

>Frank Trigg looks very tired out there.

>Gracie smothers Trigg against the ropes and stomps down on his foot.

>Gracie uses a hard foot stomp.

>With the ropes trapping Trigg, Gracie looks to try and take him down.

>Gracie gets the takedown! Trigg pulls half guard.

>Breathing very hard, Ralek Gracie is looking ragged.

>Gracie attempts a kimura.

>Trigg gets caught by a kimura, it's in deep!

>No! He pops free. That was really close.

>Trigg tries to transition to full guard, but can't manage it.

>In half guard, Gracie begins working to get side control.

>He is too good for Trigg slipping out of half guard and straight into a mount.

>Gracie tries to ensnare Trigg in a gogoplata.

>Trigg fights off the gogoplata attempt.

>Frank Trigg looks like he is on the verge of exhaustion.

>Gracie takes the back as Trigg tries to sweep him!

>Trigg is in increasing trouble, as Gracie gets both hooks in.

>We move into the second half of this round.

>Gracie attempts to complete a rear naked choke, having both hooks fully in.

>The rear naked choke is fully applied, Gracie has Trigg flattened out completely, there is no option but to tap out!

>By submission, the winner is Ralek Gracie!

>Official Result: Ralek Gracie defeats Frank 'Twinkle Toes' Trigg (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 5:35 of round 2). The match was rated as being Very Poor.

Match Five: Jack Marshman x Ryuta Sakurai

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>A left jab misses and Marshman counters with a nice jab.

>Sakurai avoids a jab.

>Sakurai avoids a flurry of rights and lefts.

>Sakurai slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>Marshman avoids a jab and scores with a quick series of punches.

>Marshman narrowly misses Sakurai with a right uppercut.

>Not letting up, Sakurai quickly steps in closer to attack Marshman.

>Sakurai throws a couple of wild punches as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Marshman cannot stop the takedown, and has to pull guard.

>Sakurai begins trying to pass the guard.

>He finds himself unable to pass guard on this attempt.

>Using his leg strength to push Sakurai back a bit, Marshman looks to scramble for position.

>There wasn't enough separation though, Sakurai is able to catch him and secure side control.

>Sakurai looks to roll Marshman slightly and slip behind.

>He does it, getting behind Marshman.

>Sakurai successfully gets both hooks in, and seems primed to finish.

>With both hooks in, Sakurai tries to flatten Marshman out for the rear naked choke.

>Marshman defends himself well against the choke.

>Sakurai attempts to complete a rear naked choke, having both hooks fully in.

>Marshman fights off the rear naked choke attempt.

>With both hooks in and therefore great control of the body, Sakurai tries to finish Marshman off with a rear naked choke.

>Marshman fights off the rear naked choke attempt.

>Sakurai, with both hooks fully in, tries to get the rear naked choke applied.

>Marshman defends himself well against the choke.

>Jack Marshman looks very tired out there.

>Marshman attempts to pull free of the hooks, but Sakurai doesn't allow it.

>Sakurai has good control, and starts pounding away on Marshman.

>Marshman is barely able to do anything at all, he cannot get out from under Sakurai!

>The referee has seen enough, he pulls Sakurai off!

>The winner, by TKO, is Ryuta Sakurai!

>Official Result: Ryuta Sakurai defeats Jack 'Hammer' Marshman (TKO (Strikes) in 9:09 of round 1). The match was rated as being Average.

Match Six: Hiroshi Izumi x Denis Kang

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Kang uses a feint to get Izumi off balance, but the nice sequence of punches that follow don't find their mark.

>A left jab misses and Kang strikes back with a left.

>Izumi is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Kang.

>Kang uses his strikes to stop Izumi from getting close enough to grapple.

>Kang uses a nice combination as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Izumi saw the takedown coming, he tries to grab a guillotine.

>The takedown is too fast, Izumi cannot grab the guillotine.

>Izumi gets taken down by a single leg, and has to pull guard.

>Kang attempts to pass guard.

>Kang isn't able to pass guard on this attempt.

>Izumi tries to sweep Kang but can't do it.

>Kang starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>Izumi attempts a triangle choke on Kang from the bottom of the guard.

>The triangle is locked in deep, Kang has to tap out!

>Hiroshi Izumi takes the victory by way of submission!

>Official Result: Hiroshi Izumi defeats Denis Kang (Submission (Triangle) in 3:53 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Match Seven: Dave Branch x Jorge Santiago

Round 1:

>There's the opening bell!

>A jab misses, allowing Santiago to counter-strike with a nice left hand.

>Branch grabs a slow leg kick and goes straight for a takedown, but Santiago is able to block it.

>There's a takedown attempt from Santiago.

>Branch tries to step away from the takedown.

>Santiago can't get the takedown, Branch was too quick to back away.

>Santiago feints left and throws an excellent combination but Branch is just able to cover up in time.

>An exchange of blows doesn't really produce any damage or a clear advantage.

>Santiago uses a smart combination to get Branch to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.

>He has the takedown! Branch pulls guard.

>Santiago looks to pass guard and get side control.

>Santiago struggles but cannot find a way past and remains stuck in guard.

>Branch tries to ensnare Santiago in a triangle.

>Santiago blocks the triangle attempt.

>Santiago fires off a few punches, but they aren't thrown with any great force.

>Santiago pulls free before the triangle can be locked in.

>Perhaps looking to create space for a leglock, Santiago tries to break the guard apart.

>Branch maintains a tight, secure guard.

>We pass the halfway mark of this round.

>Santiago looks to pass guard and get side control.

>He can't quite manage to get past guard on this attempt.

>Branch brings his legs up and tries to lock Santiago in a triangle choke.

>The lack of progress forces the referee to stand the fighters back up.

>Branch steps back to avoid a left jab.

>Santiago looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Branch.

>Standing his ground, Branch looks happy to engage Santiago in the pocket.

>Branch backs away to create some more space.

>Moving in closer, Santiago looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>Santiago and Branch get closer, both looking eager to engage at close range.

>There's a double leg attempt from Santiago, from the pocket.

>The takedown is completed, Branch is on his back and pulls guard.

>Santiago is trying to pass guard.

>Branch brings his legs up and tries to lock Santiago in a triangle choke.

>We're into the final minute of the round.

>Santiago seems to be trying to loosen the guard in an attempt to create a leglock opportunity.

>Able to isolate a leg, Santiago locks in a kneebar that forces Branch to tap out!

>By submission, the winner is Jorge Santiago!

>Official Result: Jorge Santiago defeats Dave 'The Tree' Branch (Submission (Kneebar) in 9:48 of round 1)

Main Event: Mario Miranda x Mamed Khalidov

Round 1:

>The fight begins!

>Miranda feints left and tries to get Khalidov to commit to a strike, but gets no joy.

>Miranda throws a left jab but Khalidov avoids it.

>Miranda throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Khalidov tries to avoid Miranda.

>Miranda doesn't get the takedown, Khalidov avoided it.

>There's a takedown attempt from Khalidov.

>Miranda tries to step away from the takedown.

>Khalidov can't get the takedown, Miranda was too quick to back away.

>Miranda narrowly misses Khalidov with a right uppercut.

>Khalidov presses in closer to attack.

>Khalidov comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.

>Miranda tries to counter by dropping down and going for a single leg, but Khalidov defended it well.

>Khalidov looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Miranda tries to take down Khalidov as he steps in, but he blocks it.

>A nicely executed one-two combination sets up a takedown attempt from Khalidov.

>The takedown is successful, it's a single leg that leaves Miranda pulling guard.

>Khalidov attempts to pass guard.

>He passes the guard well, gaining side control.

>Khalidov keeps Miranda guessing with a few quick strikes.

>In side control, Khalidov catches his breath, content just to throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Khalidov uses side control to hit a knee just above the hip.

>Khalidov keeps Miranda guessing with a few quick strikes.

>Miranda tries to sweep Khalidov but can't.

>Khalidov attempts the mount.

>He mounts Miranda.

>Khalidov fires away with big elbows, but Miranda covers up and doesn't take any undue damage.

>Khalidov maintains control, despite Miranda trying to wriggle free.

>Khalidov pounds away with punches, but doesn't do much damage, if any, Miranda covers up well.

>Miranda tries to move Khalidov enough to get half guard, but can't get enough space.

>Khalidov tries to pound on Miranda with elbows, but all the blows are comfortably dealt with.

>Khalidov counters an attempt by Miranda to move him from mount by taking his back!

>Khalidov attempts to set up an armbar on Miranda from the back.

>Miranda pulls free of the armbar attempt, leaving Khalidov lying flat, easily secured in side control.

>Miranda attempts an armbar.

>A straight armbar is applied, Khalidov is in danger of having his arm hyper-extended!

>Out of the blue, Khalidov pops his arm free! Miranda must not have had it locked in as tight as it looked.

>Khalidov attempts to get some separation in order to try to stand, but can't.

>Miranda punches down at Khalidov, but they are easily taken on the gloves.

>Miranda throws a few right hands to the body.

>Miranda throws a few strikes, but they are without venom.

>The time is up, and that's the end of round one.

Round 2:

>We are back underway!

>Between rounds we could hear the corner of Miranda telling him to take it to the ground early.

>Khalidov steps back to avoid a kick to the body, having been suckered in with a feint.

>Miranda shoots in, looking for a takedown.

>Miranda can't get the takedown, Khalidov defended it well.

>Miranda throws a feint.

>Miranda circles, looking for an opening.

>Not letting up, Khalidov steps in closer to pressure Miranda into action.

>Mamed Khalidov doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>Looking tired, Khalidov comes in closer, attempting to wrestle with Miranda.

>Seeing a takedown opportunity, Miranda goes for a single leg, but Khalidov is equal to it.

>Mario Miranda is looking really tired.

>A tired-looking Miranda approaches, looking for a takedown.

>The takedown doesn't work, Khalidov sprawled to defend it and then works into a clinch position.

>Khalidov hits Miranda with some short strikes to the side of the head while grappling.

>Mario Miranda seems to be fighting against exhaustion.

>Khalidov has gotten underhooks in and is looking to take Miranda to the ground.

>Miranda cannot stop being lifted up and blasted with a Greco-Roman slam, he can only pull guard!

>Mamed Khalidov looks very, very tired.

>Khalidov begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.

>Khalidov is too much for Miranda, passing guard and gaining side control.

>In side control, Khalidov catches his breath, content just to throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Khalidov throws some small strikes, but is clearly just taking a moment to try and catch his breath.

>Miranda attempts to secure an arm.

>Khalidov fends off Miranda, and doesn't give up an arm.

>Khalidov hits a knee strike to the ribs.

>Khalidov tries to lock Miranda in a kimura.

>Khalidov gets the kimura fully applied and Miranda has to tap out!

>By submission, the winner is Mamed Khalidov!

>Official Result: Mamed 'Cannibal' Khalidov defeats Mario Miranda (Submission (Kimura) in 5:37 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.

MWGP Quarterfinals:

Mamed Khalidov x Jake Rosholt

Jorge Santiago x John Phillips

Hiroshi Izumi x Magomed Sultanakhmedov

Ryuta Sakurai x Ralek Gracie

Prediction Standings:

Jingo: 17-7

completesky: 15-9

CageRage: 12-12

PURE Fighting Championships IV: Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round Finalized Card:

PURE Fighting Championships IV: Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium/ 4th Week of April

Opening Match

Assan Njie (13-2/Sweden) x Brian Foster (18-5/USA)

Match Two

John Howard (18-7/USA) x Jordan Smith (17-4-1/USA)

Match Three

Xavier Lucas (8-3; Australia) x Hernani Perpetuo (14-3/Brazil)

Match Four

Yuri Villefort (6-1/Brazil) x Robert Whittaker (10-2/Australia)

Match Five

Taisuke Okuno (12-6-2/Japan) x Andrews Nakahara (4-2/Brazil)

Match Six

Yuya Shirai (22-11; Japan) x Gunnar Nelson (10-0-1/Iceland)

Match Seven

Dhiego Lima (7-1/Brazil) x Alberto Mina (9-0; Brazil)

Main Event

Keita "K-Taro" Nakamura (24-5-2/Japan) x Shamil Zavurov (20-2-1/Russia)

Opening Match

Match Two

Match Three

Match Four

Match Five

Match Six

Match Seven

Main Event

Dokonjonosuke Mishima Announces Imminent Retirement

In an unfortunate event that could alter the Featherweight Grand Prix, Dokonjonosuke Mishima has announced that he will retire after his upcoming fight with Doo Ho Choi in June.

Mishima said that he's at the point where he's not even sure he could handle the rigors of a large scale grand prix. While he would love an opportunity to fight for the belt, he doesn't think its worth destroying his own body for.

He also feels as if his fight with Doo Ho Choi couldn't possibly be any bigger than a championship fight, as he believe Choi is without a doubt the best Feathweight PURE has to offer. He states that he thinks this is the perfect fight to end his career on, win or lose, he'll feel like he's in best fight available to him and if he were to win, that's a championship victory in itself.

Doo Ho Choi has yet to be reached for a comment.

PURE Announces the Signing of Megumi Fujii for Her Retirement Bout

In other news, PURE has reached an agreement to stage Megumi Fujii's official retirement bout.

PURE has already scheduled her last fight for one of the quarterfinals cards in the near future. She will be slated to fight against fellow long-time veteran in JMMA's women's scene, Yuka Tsuji. It will be billed as "The Queen of Vale Tudo" fight.

Opening Match

Match Two

Match Three

Match Four

Match Five

Match Six

Match Seven

Main Event

Opening Match

Match Two

Match Three

Match Four

Match Five

Match Six

Match Seven

Main Event

PURE Fighting Championships IV: Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round Preview

For the second time in three weeks, PURE offers us another grand prix to crown their inaugural champions, this time in the welterweight division.

Taking place at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium, many believe that the upcoming Welterweight Grand Prix is their weakest offering yet, with all top-tier talent residing stateside in the UFC. Don't let that deter you, for PURE is still promising highly entertaining fights. With how their first three cards have went, there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Anchored by a main event that showcases some of the top skill in the division outside of the UFC, K-Taro Nakamura will face Shamil Zavurov. Other talking points include an incredible co-main event involving two of the brightest prospects at 170. Also on the card are two other stars of tomorrow in Gunnar Nelson and Hernani Perpetuo.

With the fights growing closer, here's our thoughts on the card:

The main event of the evening has a lot riding on it because both fighters, regardless to who wins, should be considered the favorite to win the tournament.

K-Taro Nakamura is one of the best grapplers in the whole country, with numerous appearances in grappling tournaments, including ADCC. A very strong grappler with slick submissions, to boot. While that does seems like a winning formula, Nakamura does seem to wilt under serious pressure, which doesn't allow him to implement his grappling as effectively as he'd like.

Shamil Zavurov is a fighter from a similar mold, minus the submissions. A former M-1 Welterweight champion, Zavurov gained notoriety with his stifling top game, allowing him to win many fights even if they were a chore to watch. One notable weakness is that he gets a little too comfortable in a dominant position, causing him to be carelessly caught in submissions that he shouldn't have to fight out of in the first place.

Verdict: While Zavurov certainly makes the type of mistakes that K-Taro could easily take advantage of, you'd have to think we'll see a Zavurov that's literally on top of his game. That's why we'll go with Zavurov by Decision.

Dhiego Lima (7-1/Brazil) x Alberto Mina (9-0/Brazil)

Quite possibly the most interesting fight on the entire card, two bright prospects will go toe to toe for a chance at becoming champion down the road.

The brother of Bellator vet Douglas Lima, Dhiego Lima is ready to make the next step towards building his own stardom. Nearly a carbon copy of his brother, Dhiego is just as tenacious and fast paced. What he does lack is his brother's will and ability to withstand adversity, although we've only seen him in that position once in his career.

Alberto Mina made waves in the Brazilian scene with his relentless attack, slowly gaining a following and now making the jump to superior competition. With power in both hands and an outstanding submission game, Mina already shows all the talent in the world to become a serious threat to anyone in world at 170.

Verdict: Both guys have serious talent and no matter the outcome both are sure to become stars down the road but someone has to win. Alberto Mina has the more options and much more refined, we'll take Mina by submission.

Current DEEP welterweight kingpin Yuya Shirai is used to the bright lights, fighting in both DREAM and ONE, with minimal success. While he does have the talent to stay competitive, no one will ever confuse him for an elite fighter. What could be considered elite is his heart, as he will not drop out of any fight until the bell is rung and fight from the very start.

Gunnar Nelson is without a doubt, one of the best grapplers in the world today, with numerous titles before even having a black belt in jiu-jitsu. At such a young age, he is already a sound technician and fights with composure as he picks his spot at the most opportune moment. Once the fight gets to the ground, it's already over.

Verdict: Shirai will put up a fight at the start of the match but before long, Gunnar will grab a hold of him and will take complete control of him from that point on. Nelson will win by submission.

Taisuke Okuno has been making his rounds in Japan for many years on the downlow, quietly knocking out opposition and brawling left and right. He was relatively unknown until he made his debut in Sengoku, where he knocked out tough veteran Nick Thompson. Since then, he has gone 2-2 against solid opposition, with losses to Yuya Shirai and Yasubey Enomoto with one notable knockout victory against Ryo Chonan. Win or lose, Okuno guarantees fireworks.

A high level kyokushin practitioner and training partner of Francisco Filho and Magno Almeida, Andrews Nakahara is prepared to finally kick his MMA career into overdrive. Within his first four fights, he fought a very high level of opposition for a newcomer, including wins against Dong Sik Yoon and Shungo Oyama with losses against Kazushi Sakuraba and Ryo Chonan. Since then, he has gone undefeated although staying relatively inactive. On top of high class striking, he has developed a solid grappling game.

Verdict: Okuno has massive power and he's always looking to finish the fight but with Nakahara's mix of grappling and extremely crisp striking, this is Nakahara's fight to lose. Nakahara wins by TKO.

The brother of fellow PURE Grand Prix participant Danillo Villefort, Yuri Villefort is primed to make a huge impact in the sport. Unfortunately, since he was once a part of Strikeforce, he has only had a single fight due to injuries and inability to find fights. He has a good mix of striking and grappling but his takedown defense is quite porous.

Robert Whittaker is arguably the greatest Australian welterweight product to this day. While he started as primarily a strong grappler with good ground and pound, he has recently developed a strong boxing game with finishing power. He has fought at Legend FC in the past, losing in his only appearance. He also has an inefficiency at leaving himself very open to submissions though, unfortunately.

Verdict: This fight could honestly go either way. While Whittaker has looked the best out of the two in recent performances, that could solely be attributed to the inactivity of Villefort. Will go with the fighter with the superior camp in such a close fight. Villefort by decision.

Xavier Lucas was once a bright prospect that usually involved himself in entertaining fights. He also had considerable skill, which allowed him to become Shooto's Pacific Rim champion. Since then, Lucas has been plagued by injuries, only fighting three times in the past three years. Primarily a striker, he always aims to win by knockout but will finish the fight on the ground if given the opportunity, unfortunately due to his recent injury bug, he has left a lot to be desired and has been finished in his last two bouts.

One of Nova Uniao's unsung fighters, Hernani Perpetuo arrived on the scene last year with a bang, beating both Daniel Acacio and Edilberto Crocota in the same night. A very well rounded fighter, Perpetuo has finishing ability both on the feet and on the ground. On top of that, Perpetuo has shown an immense ability to withstand damage, the only negative being his penchance of getting cut fairly easily.

Verdict: Perpetuo seemingly has Lucas completely outgunned here. Only if Lucas goes back in time and prevents himself from injury is the only way I could see him winning. Perpetuo wins by TKO.

John Howard was once a prolific fighter for the UFC, going on a tear through Ring of Combat beforehand. After a few wins to begin his UFC career, he went on a serious cold streak dropping three in a row before his release. Since then, he has moved to 185 and won four in a row. Now he makes his return to 170 with the hopes of completely turning his career around. He does have good grappling and powerful strikes.

Jordan Smith has racked up an impressive record on the local circuit, winning fourteen straight fights to start of his career. Since then, he has been severly inconsistent, losing four of his last seven, although against solid opposition while in Bellator and gaining a win over Karo Parysian. He has a decent striking game and his grappling is efficient enough to put some fighters in trouble. He does have a fairly strong chin, although he can be finished with precision.

Verdict: John Howard looks to be on the most momentum going into this fight, which should place him as the favorite. Jordan Smith could certainly drag this out and make a fight out of it if he picks his spots and doesn't allow Howard to impose his will early in the fight. Regardless, we'll pick Howard by KO.

Since Alexander Gustafsson left for the UFC, Assan Njie has been the unanimous pick for hottest prospect in Sweden. Since his loss to Robert Jocz in 2009, Njie has been on an absolute roll, winning six in a row and five of those are by way of finishes. While he prefers to finish the fight on the ground, he has shown knockout power and will utilize very strong ground and pound in search of submission. Njie has loads of potential and this could be the beginning of his road to greatness.

Brian Foster had the potential to become a huge star with his brutal strikes and ground and pound, just a mix of a very crowd pleasing style. Unfortunately, he has been sidelined after a brain hemorrhage, which caused him to momentarily retire. After a short return and a year off, Foster has been medically cleared to resume his career to the delight of many fans worldwide. His obvious weakness is his weak grappling, causing him to lose many fights that he'd otherwise have a better chance it. Fortunately, he seems to have been improving this weakness greatly, winning his last three fights by way of submission.

Verdict: If Foster weren't sidelined, it be easier to say he could be considered favorite due to his superior opposition, but we're very wary of how he might look in his return. Coupled with the fact Njie has strong grappling, we'll go with Njie by submission.

PURE Fighting Championships IV: Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round Official Weigh-In and Press Conference; All Fighters on Weight

We are live from the Royal Hall in Royal Park Hotel in Tokyo tonight for the official weigh-in's and press conference.

For the second straight shows, all fighters hit their marks, not one even a pound over. All fights will go on as planned to determine the grand prix quarterfinals. Tomorrow night's fights will commence at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium in front of what is expected to be a good crowd for a relatively low profile line-up.

The press conference soon followed and here were the highlights:

Keita "K-TARO" Nakamura

"I'm here to get myself a championship. I've proven myself in Shooto and Sengoku, now i'm ready for a trophy to prove myself currently. I'm looking forward to fighting in front of all the fans tomorrow night."

"Shamil Zavurov, I feel, is a bit undersized for this division and especially compared to me. I still think he's a very strong fighter and I won't be taking him lightly whatsoever. I believe we'll have a great fight."

Shamil Zavurov

"I'm anticipating my debut in Japan greatly. I respect them as much as I do the fans back in my homeland. I might not make any fans because i'll do anything I have to for a win."

"K-Taro is a skilled grappler and i'm looking forward to testing myself against him. I don't think he'll have an answer for my wrestling and he's going to be in for a tough night."

Dhiego Lima

"My brother has proven himself in Bellator and I feel like it's time for me to prove myself here at PURE. I've been training very hard because I know I have a tough road ahead of me. I think all my hard work will pay off and show through tomorrow night."

"I've seen Alberto before and he's quite impressive. I know he'll be just as eager to prove himself in the spotlight which is while i'll fighting with everything i've got. He'll be at his best, i'll just have to be at my greatest."

Alberto Mina

"I've been waiting for this moment as soon as I began training MMA extensively. I've put so many hours and sweat into this and it has brought me before everyone here in attendance today. The journey will not stop here, tomorrow night."

"Dhiego has loads of potential. I see a lot of his brother in him but I believe he is still very green and has yet to fully grow as a mixed martial artist. While i'm certainly not at my peak as a mixed martial artist either, i'm going to show him i'm on another level."

Yuya Shirai

"I've had many opportunities in the past few years to prove myself against the best and my performances felt very underwhelming. I'm here to change that. I'm here to show people why i'm considered championship material. My heart and determination takes me a long way, but now it's time for my skills to finish the job."

"Gunnar is certainly a specimen. For someone as young as he is to be as far along as he is as a grappler is quite the feat. That is grappling though, and i'm ready to show him what mixed martial arts is all about."

Gunnar Nelson

"I've felt slighted in the past, as if no one was willing to take a chance on me. I'm glad PURE has given me this opportunity to finally test the waters. To see how far along I have come in the sport. Losing is all apart of the game but I aim to grow and learn on way to victories instead."

"Yuya Shirai is a very respectable fighter and his heart will never be in question. I will attempt to weather him down though. I will make him second guess fighting through the adversity I plan to put him through. I'm looking forward to a fight though, since I know he's going to give me his best."

Taisuke Okuno

"It's about time that I show people that i'm more than just an exciting fighter. I'm glad I have fans and i'm more than happy to supply them with knockouts, but I want the accolades and titles to truly cement my status as a great fighter."

"Nakahara is an exceptional striker but he's training grappling for a reason. He won't want to stand too long with me. If he thinks otherwise, i'll be more than welcomed to end his night early."

Andrews Nakahara

"I've really grown as a fighter within the past year. I've always felt confident in my striking but I want to be so much more than just another one-dimensional fighter. You can only succeed for so long while falling back on one discipline. I'll never get rid of my roots but there's always room for evolution."

"I hope he's been training hard for this fight because I certainly have. I'm going to show him my whole arsenal and be successful in doing so. While he's only shown powerful hands, i'm well prepared for anything he might surprise me with."

Yuri Villefort

"I'm very eager to return to active competition. I hate sitting on the sidelines, so it feels good to have a multitude of fights awaiting me. I won't ever improve if I can't get fights, so as long as i'm healthy, you'll be seeing me in the ring very often."

"Robert has good ability and I think he'll test me, especially off of my layoff. He hasn't faced a fighter like me before and it'll show tomorrow night."

Robert Whittaker

"After my loss in Hong Kong, i'm a road to redemption. The only way that road leads to is the championship. While I don't think any loss will ever feel acceptable but that would definitely ease the blow. There's so many great competitors here today and i'm ready to fight each and every one of them."

"Yuri is going to be a test for me, as well. He's got his own goals that he wants to achieve that i'm unfortunately standing in the way of. I'm willing to go to war, as i'm sure he is, because I don't my road to end here. I've got so much to prove."

Xavier Lucas

"I really haven't felt like myself as of late. Things just haven't been clicking and i've had a string of bad luck. This time feels different, though. I'm in great shape and i'm as motivated as ever. I know how being a champion feels like and i'm ready to experience that once again."

"Hernani has a great camp, solid skillset, and i'm sure an unmatched drive. The cards are really stacked against me here *laughs*. He's not some kind of fluke, so I know he'll be giving it all tomorrow night. Once I get a feel for him, i'll be ready to make my move and i'm going to do my best to not only win but to finish him."

Hernani Perpetuo

"I've worked so hard with Nova Uniao so I could fight in a large promotion and now my dream has come true. My aspirations don't end there, as I aim to join to likes of Aldo, Sandro, and Dantas. I want to be champion."

"I'm at the best i've ever been. I feel in total control. I'm going to give Xavier Lucas the toughest fight of his life."

John Howard

"I was pretty down after my UFC stint. I feel like I really screwed things up. That didn't last too long, I ain't like that. I got in the gym, busted my ass, and i'm back to that point where I felt like no one could be beat me. I'm going to be a handful for anyone. They can't handle me where I currently stand. Doomsday is comin'."

"Jordan seems like a nice dude, too pretty of a face for fighting if you ask me *laughs*. Real tough guy too, so I can't get too eager out there to finish him. I'm going to stick to my gameplan and smash his face as much as possible."

Jordan Smith

"I'm on a losing streak but i'm as positive as ever. You got to be. You can't let your downs drag you down because in this sport, you're going to have them. Without a doubt. I'm not going to be anyone's punching bag and I think i'll open a few eyes tomorrow night."

"I watched Doomsday when he was in the UFC. I was always impressed by his athleticism but he had a lot to work on. I'm glad to know he's turned things around and i'm equally glad to get an opportunity to face him. I'm not going to talk any trash or anything, but to reassure those that don't know any better, just know i'm out there to win."

Assan Njie

"To represent Sweden is a huge honor. Just recently, our fight scene seems to have really burgeoned and now you're seeing how good we really are with guys like Alexander Gustafsson. Now it's my turn. I will be laying the groundwork to show Sweden's true superiority."

"To fight a UFC veteran is a huge opportunity, as i'll really know how it feels like to fight the best instead of just the best that's available to me. Foster is really fun guy to watch fighting and I think it's amazing that he's back from what he's been through but i'm going to make sure he won't have any time to be fun. It's going to be all business when I welcome him back to the sport."

Brian Foster

"This is kind of an emotional moment for me...Just a year ago, it felt like i'd never get the opportunity to fight ever again. When I got that call from the doctor and I was medically cleared to compete, I don't think i've ever felt so happy in my life. It's going to be a great feeling to be staring down my opponent thinking of all the masochistic ways I can destroy him *laughs*"

"I've been hearing a lot about Assan and from the looks of it, he's worth every bit of hype he's been getting but he's going to be in trouble tomorrow night. I loathed being away from competition and all of that pented up frustration will undoubtedly be taken out on him."

PURE Fighting Championships IV: Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (8,163)

Hello everyone! We are live from the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium for PURE Fighting Championships IV, the beginning of their Welterweight Grand Prix and second card in three weeks! This is the first ever MMA event to be held in this venue and the crowd is seriously buzzing. We might not have the biggest names tonight but everyone here tonight is anticipating great fights, regardless.

http://www.somosvoley.com/galeriasv/albums/Instantaneas-3/Tokyo_Metropolitan_Gymnasium.jpg

Without further ado, HERE ARE THE OPENING CEREMONIES!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Xc21pvA3eYc/R5DwQ5N7Z-I/AAAAAAAAAag/iyd_szZ7ab8/s400/jc+concert+stage.JPG

Ladies and Gentleman! Welcome to the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium for PURE Fighting Championships IV: Welterweight Grand Prix Opening Round!

All sixteen fighters here tonight are ready to make their mark on the sport and set the world ablaze as they fight for honor, respect, and notoriety. All on the way to be crowned PURE'S WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD.

This is sport. This is art. This is excellence. THIS. IS. PURE!

"Introducing first, from the United States, BRIIIIAAANNNN FOOOOOSTERRRR"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KJ8Hwuc52ew/Twenruvw_GI/AAAAAAAADTQ/djb-o4f6HuM/s640/foster.jpg

"His opponent, from Sweden, ASSAAAAANNN NJJJJIIIIEEEEE"

http://www.tapology.com/system/letterbox_images/11825/default/Assan-Njie.jpeg?1331227083

"Second bout. From the United States, JOORRRRRDANNNNN SMIIIIITHHH"

http://img.poptower.com/pic-22537/jordan-smith-ultimate-fighter.jpg?d=600

"Also from the United States, JOOOHHHHNNNN HOOOWWWARRRDDDD"

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab265/OxBaker/John_Howard_500x325.png

"Third bout. From Brazil, HERRRNAAANNNIIIII PERRRPETTTUUUOOOOO"

http://upperbrazil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/66315_1316762019348_1839680003_594788_7983084_n.jpg

"From Australia, XAAAAVIIIIERRRR LUUUUUUUCCAAAAAS"

http://ficassets.fichub.com/FX_au_au/character/59406.281x308.jpg

"Fourth bout. From Australia, ROOOBBBBBERRRRTT WHIITTTTTAAAKKKERRRR"

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mma/players/full/3009717.png&w=350&h=254

"From Brazil, YUUURRRIIII VIIIILLEEEEFOORRRRRRTT"

http://www.blackzilians.com/uploads/fighters/id20/yuri-ville-P.png

"Fifth bout. From Brazil, ANNNDRREWWWWWS NAAAAKAAAAHAAARRRAAAA"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/f/f4/ANaka.jpg

"From JAPAN, TAIIIISUKEEEEE OOOOOKKUUUUUNNOOOOOO"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/f/f0/TaisukeOkuno.jpg

"Sixth bout. From Iceland, GUUNNNNNAARRRRR NELLLLLSONNNNNN"

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/972/805/GunnerNelson_HeadshotFUELTV5_display_image.png?1360628505

"From JAPAN, YUUUUYAAAA SHIIIIRAIIIIIIII"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/6/6f/YuyaShirai.jpg

"Seventh bout. From Brazil, ALLLLBERRRTOOOOO MIIIIIINAAAAA"

http://www1.cdn.sherdog.com/image_crop/200/300/_images/fighter/20110912014102_alperto22.JPG

"Also from Brazil, DHIIIEEEGOOOOO LIIIIIIMAAAAAA"

http://www.maximumfighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DhiegoLima-FIGHTER-PAGE-GOOD.png

"MAIN EVENT. From Russia, SHAAAMMIIIIIL ZAAAAVUUUROOOOOVVV"

http://fightlife.ru/files/photo-images/163.jpg

"From JAPAN, K-TARRRRROOOOOO NAAAAKAAAAMUURRRRRAAAAAAAAA"

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/5/57/KTaro.jpg

Opening Match: Brian Foster x Assan Njie

Round 1:

>The fight begins!

>Njie feints rushing in, but Foster doesn't fall for it.

>A left jab misses and Njie strikes back with a series of quick lefts.

>Njie avoids a kick to the leg and hits a series of quick lefts.

>Foster slips past a left jab and fires back with a kick to the ribs.

>Njie slips out of the way of a jab.

>Njie counters a left jab with a nice left hand.

>A straight left fails to land and Foster is able to fire back with a leg kick.

>Njie fakes a lunge.

>Foster steps in closer to force the issue.

>Foster looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>A counter left hand catches Foster above the eye.

>A flurry of punches miss Foster and allow him to counter-strike with a crisp left hand punch.

>Njie gets Foster with a punch to the ribs, but it lacked power.

>Foster comes in closer to press the issue.

>After a flurry of punches miss, Foster is able to strike back with a vicious leg kick.

>Assan Njie won't want to take too many unchecked strikes to the legs like that.

>A flurry of punches miss Foster and allow him to counter-strike with a solid left jab.

>A speculative right hand from Njie doesn't find a home.

>Foster quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>Foster avoids a flurry of punches and hits a kick to the side of the ribs.

>Njie throws out a quick left jab.

>Foster quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>Foster looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Njie throws a vicious right as a counter, but it misses the target.

>Njie narrowly misses Foster with a right uppercut.

>Foster doesn't let Njie settle, stepping in closer to impose himself.

>Foster drops down as if going for a double leg, but it's just a fake.

>Njie avoids a body kick.

>Njie hops around from foot to foot, looking for an opening.

>Foster presses in closer to attack.

>Foster feints stepping in.

>Njie counters a left jab with a solid left jab.

>Round one is brought to an end as time runs out

Round 2:

>Foster feints throwing a jab.

>Foster waits for a flurry of punches to stop, then hits a leg kick.

>Assan Njie is limping slightly.

>Punishing the legs is a great strategy on the part of Foster.

>It will clearly slow Njie down and weaken his striking.

>Foster counters an attempted spinning back kick by scoring with a series of big right hands, trapping Njie against the ropes!

>Njie collapses, hurt, and Foster looks to finish by unleashing a barrage of strikes to his downed opponent!

>Njie is taking a lot of shots, the referee has no option but to leap in and stop the fight!

>By TKO, the winner is Brian Foster!

>Official Result: Brian Foster defeats Assan 'The Black Attack' Njie (TKO (Strikes) in 0:57 of round 2). The match was rated as being Poor.

Match Two: Jordan Smith x John Howard

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Howard feints to the right, trying to draw Smith into throwing a strike.

>A straight left fails to land and Howard is able to fire back with a quick combination that ends with a scorching right cross. Smith barely had time to cover up.

>A straight left fails to land and Howard is able to fire back with a series of big punches, putting Smith down on the ground!

>Smith shakes off the blow almost immediately though, and waits for Howard to make a move.

>Howard comes in and drops a bomb that catches Smith flush!

>The referee pulls Howard away before any more shots are thrown, as Smith is out cold!

>The winner, by Knock Out, is 'Doomsday' John Howard!

>Official Result: 'Doomsday' John Howard defeats Jordan 'Mata Ele' Smith (Knock Out (Punch) in 1:11 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Three: Hernani Perpetuo x Xavier Lucas

Round 1:

>The fight begins!

>Perpetuo steps back to avoid a tight combination of punches after falling for a clever feint.

>A jab misses, allowing Lucas to counter-strike with a couple of jabs and a right cross.

>Perpetuo just avoids a combination of short sharp punches and hits a clean jab.

>Lucas looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Perpetuo.

>Perpetuo tries to catch him by surprise with a takedown attempt, but it is blocked.

>Perpetuo steps back to avoid a one-two combination.

>A showdown where they both exchange strikes only results in a stalemate.

>Perpetuo chooses to shoot in on Lucas.

>Perpetuo eats a stiff counter right hand and almost goes down!

>Lucas looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Standing his ground, Perpetuo looks happy to engage Lucas in the pocket.

>Perpetuo slips past a jab and scores with a clean punch.

>Lucas dodges a jab, and fires back with a clean left jab.

>Perpetuo uses head movement to avoid a combination of short sharp punches, then fires back with a nice jab.

>Using head movement to slip past a left jab, Lucas hits a crisp left.

>Good head movement allows Perpetuo to avoid a flurry of rights and lefts.

>Lucas circles away, creating some distance between them.

>Perpetuo throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Lucas.

>The takedown is blocked, and the sprawl allows Lucas to wrestle Perpetuo down to the ground instead! Perpetuo pulls half guard.

>Lucas unloads with some big right hands, but Perpetuo deals with them comfortably.

>Perpetuo skillfully moves to full guard.

>Looking to catch his breath, Lucas is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Perpetuo uses his legs to push Lucas back, and tries to scramble for position.

>The scramble leaves Perpetuo on top in side control.

>In side control, Perpetuo catches his breath, content just to throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Perpetuo pounds away with rights, but doesn't do much damage, if any, Lucas has good control from the bottom of side control.

>Perpetuo blocks an attempted sweep.

>Perpetuo tries to ensnare Lucas in an armbar.

>Lucas blocks it.

>Perpetuo blocks an attempted sweep.

>Xavier Lucas is breathing very hard.

>Perpetuo keeps Lucas guessing with a few quick strikes.

>Perpetuo throws some small strikes, but is clearly just taking a moment to try and catch his breath.

>Perpetuo is trying to move from side control to mount.

>Lucas doesn't let Perpetuo get the mount, and so he remains at side control.

>Lucas skillfully moves to full guard.

>There's under a minute left in this round.

>Perpetuo tries to smother Lucas, but he squirms free.

>Using his leg strength, Lucas pushes Perpetuo away, where he stands.

>Perpetuo looks to get on top of Lucas.

>Perpetuo can't hold Lucas down and a scramble starts.

Round 2:

>It sounded like his corner told Perpetuo to go after Lucas and look to finish it.

>A feint sets up a body kick from Perpetuo, but Lucas is able to move out of range in time.

>Perpetuo fires off a barrage of big right hands, knocking Lucas down!

>Almost immediately Lucas has shaken it off and is ready for Perpetuo.

>Lucas tries to connect with an up-kick, but it just makes Perpetuo step back.

>Perpetuo tries to come in and secure a ground position.

>Lucas is too quick, slipping away from Perpetuo and starting to scramble.

>Perpetuo ends up in side control.

>In side control, Perpetuo throws a couple of punches designed to keep Lucas guessing.

>Lucas attempts to sweep Perpetuo.

>The sweep is successful, and both fighters scramble back to their feet.

>Xavier Lucas looks very, very tired.

>Although visibly tired, Lucas looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Lucas moves into the pocket.

>Lucas throws rights and lefts, but Perpetuo covers up well and none of the shots find a home.

>Seeing a low kick coming, Perpetuo strikes first with a big right that knocks Lucas out!

>The winner, by Knock Out, is Hernani Perpetuo!

>Official Result: Hernani Perpetuo defeats 'X-Man' Xavier Lucas (Knock Out (Punch) in 3:22 of round 2). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

Match Four: Robert Whittaker x Yuri Villefort

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Villefort avoids a kick to the leg and hits a clean jab.

>Villefort slips past a left jab and counters with a stinging left jab.

>Villefort throws a left jab but Whittaker avoids it.

>Whittaker slams a crisp right into the gloves of Villefort, but can't follow up.

>Villefort quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>A jab misses, allowing Whittaker to counter-strike with a stinging leg kick.

>A straight left by Whittaker keeps Villefort from advancing.

>Villefort presses in closer to attack.

>A flurry of rights and lefts miss, allowing Whittaker to hit back with a kick to the ribs.

>Whittaker feints rushing in, but withdraws.

>Villefort steps back to avoid a left jab.

>Whittaker avoids a quick jab and hits a right kick to the thigh.

>Strikes to the leg like that will take their toll.

>Whittaker counters a left jab by using a crisp jab.

>Villefort slips past a left jab and counters with a straight left.

>Whittaker avoids a flurry of rights and lefts and hits a kick to the outside of the left knee.

>Whittaker avoids a flurry of punches.

>A left jab misses and Whittaker counters with a vicious leg kick.

>There is no doubt that the damage has added up and Yuri Villefort has an injured leg.

>Whittaker counters an errant left jab with a barrage of big punches on Villefort!

>Villefort hits a nice crisp left jab.

>Whittaker uses head movement to dodge a punch, then strikes back with a barrage of big punches on Villefort!

>Backing off, Villefort stumbles and almost goes down...I think he is hurt!

>Villefort goes down after getting hammered with a barrage of rights!

>Almost immediately Villefort has shaken it off and is ready for Whittaker.

>Whittaker fires off a stomp, but it is caught and Villefort uses it to pull him into guard.

>Whittaker throws a few right hands as he takes a moment to plan ahead.

>Whittaker punches down at Villefort, but they are easily taken on the gloves.

>Whittaker blocks Villefort as he tries a sweep from the guard.

>Looking to catch his breath, Whittaker is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Villefort tries to ensnare an arm.

>Whittaker fends off Villefort, and doesn't give up an arm.

>Whittaker throws a few right hands as he takes a moment to plan ahead.

Round 2:

>Whittaker moves in quickly after a wayward punch and hits a sharp kick to the shin.

>Whittaker counters a left jab by hitting some big right hands!

>Villefort looks unsteady on his feet as he retreats, that last blow may have rocked him!

>A right head kick lands flush, Villefort is knocked down and left dazed!

>Whittaker quickly pounces, looking to rain down punches on the stunned Villefort!

>Villefort survives then onslaught and manages to pull half guard.

>Whittaker throws a few right hands to the body.

>Whittaker tries to stand up, but can't get free of half guard.

>Whittaker fends off Villefort, and doesn't give up an arm.

>Whittaker tries to stand up, but can't get free of half guard.

>Whittaker defends it.

>Whittaker starts trying to work to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>Whittaker isn't able to pass from half guard thanks to the tenacious defence of Villefort.

>Villefort tries to sweep Whittaker but doesn't get anywhere.

>The lengthy period of stalemate results in the referee standing them both back up.

>Villefort throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Whittaker.

>Whittaker attempts to avoid Villefort as he shoots in.

>The takedown doesn't work, Whittaker saw it coming and got out of range.

>Villefort throws three punches in quick succession, but Whittaker was out of range.

>Not letting Villefort settle, Whittaker moves in closer.

>Villefort steps back to avoid a left jab.

>Robert Whittaker is looking really tired.

>Whittaker bobs and weaves.

>Villefort quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>Villefort throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Whittaker tries to counter with a right hand, but is too slow.

>Villefort has the takedown! It's a single leg, and Whittaker has to pull guard.

>Villefort unloads with some big right hands, but Whittaker deals with them comfortably.

>Whittaker reaches up and tries to lock up an arm.

>Villefort defends it.

>Villefort fires away with big punches, but Whittaker defends them.

>Whittaker pushes Villefort away while defending the strikes, right out of guard.

>Breathing very hard, Yuri Villefort is looking ragged.

>Whittaker is hit with a sharp kick to the calf.

>Villefort tries to secure a ground position.

>Villefort is quick, Whittaker can't stop him getting side control.

>Villefort tries to lock Whittaker into an arm triangle.

>Whittaker doesn't allow the arm triangle to be applied.

>Whittaker tries to pull guard on Villefort but doesn't get anywhere with the attempt.

>Villefort hits a knee strike to the ribs.

>Villefort throws a few strikes, but they are without venom.

>Whittaker tries to sweep Villefort but can't.

>Robert Whittaker looks very, very tired.

>Villefort tries to put Whittaker into an americana.

>Whittaker blocks it.

>Yuri Villefort looks like he doesn't have a lot left to give.

>The fight comes to an end as the time limit expires.

>The judges have given their decisions, which are about to be announced.

>All three judges have agreed that Whittaker is the winner.

>Robert Whittaker wins by unanimous decision!

>Official Result: Robert Whittaker defeats Yuri Villefort (Unanimous Decision in 10:00 of round 2). The match was rated as being Decent.

Match Five: Andrews Nakahara x Taisuke Okuno

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Nakahara throws a barrage of big rights but Okuno is quick to move out of range.

>Okuno avoids a jab.

>Nakahara avoids a jab and scores with a clean left.

>Moving forward, Nakahara counters a left jab with a barrage of big right hands, forcing Okuno back!

>Nakahara throws a leg kick but Okuno checks it easily.

>Slipping past a left jab, Nakahara hits a kick to the outside of the left leg.

>Okuno uses head movement to dodge a jab, and counters with a solid left jab.

>Okuno throws a left jab but Nakahara uses good head movement to make sure it slips by.

>Nakahara throws a left jab but Okuno uses good head movement to make sure it slips by.

>Using good head movement, Nakahara ducks under a spinning back fist and scores with some big rights, putting Okuno down!

>Nakahara senses victory and starts to unload with punches!

>Nakahara unloads with big punches, Okuno is struggling to cope!

>With punches raining down, Okuno can only pull Nakahara down into side control to survive.

>Nakahara throws a few weak-looking punches as he decides on his next move.

>Okuno gets some separation and tries to scramble for position.

>Okuno ends up in guard.

>Okuno unloads with some big elbows, but Nakahara deals with them comfortably.

>Okuno gets pushed away, and ends up standing over Nakahara, who is on his back.

>Okuno looks to get on top of Nakahara.

>Nakahara is too quick, slipping away from Okuno and starting to scramble.

>The scramble fails to secure either fighter a dominant position, and they both end up standing.

>Moving in closer, Okuno looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>Okuno can't close the distance, Nakahara keeps him away with strikes.

>Okuno steps back to avoid a one-two combination.

>Nakahara tries for a leg kick but Okuno moves out of range.

>Okuno feints going high, but Nakahara doesn't buy it.

>Okuno throws a speculative right, but it is nowhere near hitting.

>Not letting Okuno settle, Nakahara moves in closer.

>Okuno scores with a jab.

>Nakahara slips past a left jab and counters with a pair of nice shots to the body.

>There's under a minute left in this round.

>A jab doesn't find its intended target, allowing Okuno to fire back with a wild spinning back kick, knocking Nakahara down!

>Okuno moves in quickly to try and finish Nakahara with stomps and kicks!

>Okuno goes to work on Nakahara with vicious stomps and kicks, but can't finish him!

>Okuno throws a bomb, but it misses and he can do nothing to stop Nakahara getting back to his feet.

>That was a round full of action, drama, and effort - that is what MMA is all about.

Round 2:

>Judging from what we heard from his corner, Okuno is looking to push the pace with strikes in this round.

>Okuno feints left, then right.

>Nakahara avoids a series of wayward big punches and counters with a crisp left hand punch.

>Okuno counters a left jab with a crisp left hand punch.

>Okuno counters a left jab by using a solid left jab.

>Okuno looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Nakahara.

>To counter, Nakahara throws a big right hand which doesn't miss by much.

>Advancing, Okuno counters a left jab by using a clean left.

>Okuno gets Nakahara with a punch to the ribs, but it lacked power.

>Nakahara doesn't press the issue, allowing Okuno to circle.

>Andrews Nakahara is looking really tired.

>A straight left from Nakahara fails to land.

>Not letting Nakahara settle at all, Okuno comes in closer.

>Okuno is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Okuno is now standing in the pocket.

>Using good head movement, Okuno ducks under a punch and scores with some heavy right hands...Nakahara can only cover up and try and survive!

>Nakahara gets knocked down and Okuno keeps up the pressure with punch after punch!

>The referee is forced to jump in and stop the match!

>Taisuke 'Goten' Okuno takes the win by TKO!

>Official Result: Taisuke 'Goten' Okuno defeats Andrews Nakahara (TKO (Strikes) in 4:01 of round 2). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

Match Six: Gunnar Nelson x Yuya Shirai

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Shirai tries for a left jab but Nelson moves out of range.

>Both fighters fire off strikes, neither produces any significant damage.

>Nelson is getting in closer to Shirai, perhaps looking for a clinch.

>Shirai is pulled into a Muay Thai clinch.

>From the clinch, Nelson drives a knee into the face of Shirai...and knocks him out!

>Gunnar Nelson takes the victory by way of Knock Out!

>Official Result: Gunnar 'Gunni' Nelson defeats Yuya Shirai (Knock Out (Knee) in 1:29 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Seven: Alberto Mina x Dhiego Lima

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Mina moves out of range of a flurry of punches.

>Both fighters come in and exchange strikes, but neither does any damage.

>Mina comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Lima.

>Lima is pulled into a grapple.

>Mina tries to wrestle Lima backward and up against the ropes.

>Mina achieves it, pinning Lima to the ropes.

>Mina uses a vicious foot stomp.

>Mina tries to keep him up against the ropes with wrestling, but Lima struggles and doesn't let himself get controlled.

>Lima uses his wrestling skills to prevent Mina from throwing any knee strikes.

>Mina looks to set up a judo throw.

>Mina uses a nice inside leg trip and Lima is forced to pull half guard!

>In half guard, Mina throws a couple of punches designed to keep Lima guessing.

>Mina blocks Lima as he tries a sweep from half guard.

>Mina begins trying to get his leg free of half guard and get a better position.

>He can't get free of half guard.

>Lima shrimps his way back to full guard.

>Mina throws a few strikes, but is clearly slowing things down so that he can catch his breath.

>Lima brings his legs up and tries to lock Mina in a triangle choke.

>Mina defends well against it.

>Looking to catch his breath, Mina is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Lima reaches up and tries to lock up an arm.

>Mina fends off Lima, and doesn't give up an arm.

>Mina fires off a few punches as he catches his breath.

>In guard, Mina throws a couple of punches designed to keep Lima guessing.

>Lima, working from the bottom, clips Mina with an elbow.

>With no progress being made, the referee brings the fighters back to their feet.

>Mina looks like he might be trying to get in close and wrestle with Lima.

>Lima uses his strikes to stop Mina from getting close enough to grapple.

>Lima fakes a lunge.

>Not letting up, Mina steps in closer to pressure Lima into action.

>Mina comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Lima.

>Lima keeps himself moving out of range, not wanting to grapple.

>Mina is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Mina is now standing in the pocket.

>Mina looks to be trying to close the distance between them.

>Lima is pulled into a grapple.

>Using his wrestling skills, Mina is trying to push Lima up against the ropes.

>Lima ends up backed against the ropes.

>Mina pins Lima up against the ropes and stomps down hard on his foot.

Round 2:

>Mina slips out of the way of a jab.

>Dhiego Lima is looking really tired.

>Lima avoids a jab.

>Moving in closer, Mina looks like he may want to wrestle Lima.

>Lima uses movement to keep out reach, meaning Mina cannot get close enough to grapple.

>Moving in closer, a tired-looking Lima apparently wants to strike from the pocket.

>Mina seems happy to engage with Lima in the pocket.

>Mina uses head movement to dodge a punch, then strikes back with a solid punch.

>Mina slips past a flurry of rights and lefts and hits a left jab to the cheek.

>A left jab misses, Lima counters with a left hook to the body.

>Mina lets a jab sail wide and counter-strikes with a punch.

>Lima shows good head movement to avoid getting caught with a jab.

>Moving in closer, Mina looks like he may want to wrestle Lima.

>Not keen on wrestling Mina, Lima uses movement to keep out of reach.

>Dhiego Lima looks very, very tired.

>Lima tries for a left jab but Mina moves out of range.

>A flurry of punches miss Lima and allow him to counter-strike with a hard kick across the side.

>Alberto Mina is looking really tired.

>A jab doesn't find its intended target, allowing Mina to fire back with a clean left.

>Lima steps back to avoid a flurry of punches.

>They come together and strike, but neither can land a clean shot.

>Lima counters an errant left jab with a right body kick.

>Mina throws a couple of jabs, a set up for a tired-looking takedown attempt on Lima.

>A counter right cross is too slow to catch Mina.

>Mina gets the takedown! Lima pulls guard.

>Mina begins trying to pass the guard.

>Lima keeps Mina in guard.

>Lima secures an arm and tries to ensnare Mina in a triangle.

>Mina defends well against it.

>Dhiego Lima looks totally gassed.

>Mina begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.

>Lima is ready for the attempt though, and keeps Mina firmly in guard.

>From the looks of things, I don't think Alberto Mina has much energy left.

>Lima tries to ensnare an arm.

>Lima uses the threat of a kimura to turn Mina and get side control.

>Lima tries to ensnare Mina in an armbar.

>Mina blocks it.

>Mina tries to lock on an arm-in guillotine from the bottom of side control.

>Mina manages to get the arm-in guillotine and squeezes, Lima has to tap out!

>The winner, by submission; Alberto Mina!

>Official Result: 'Soldier of God' Alberto Mina defeats Dhiego Lima (Submission (Guillotine) in 9:01 of round 2). The match was rated as being Decent.

Main Event: Shamil Zavurov x K-Taro Nakamura

Round 1:

>The fight begins!

>Nakamura slips past a left jab and fires back with a crisp left hand punch.

>Nakamura slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>An exchange of strikes doesn't really lead to anything.

>They wind up in a tight clinch.

>Using his wrestling skills, Nakamura is trying to push Zavurov up against the ropes.

>Nakamura manages it, and controls Zavurov up against the ropes.

>Nakamura stomps down on his opponent's foot.

>Nakamura looks for a trip takedown.

>Zavurov will not go down, he blocks the takedown despite the best efforts of Nakamura.

>Zavurov tries to get clear of the grapple, but Nakamura holds him in place.

>With Zavurov stuck against the ropes, Nakamura tries to complete a takedown.

>Zavurov keeps his composure, and Nakamura cannot get past his takedown defence.

>Zavurov tries to uses a whizzer to turn Nakamura, but is blocked from doing so.

>Nakamura tries to take Zavurov down.

>Zavurov digs in and manages to defend the takedown.

>A whizzer almost allows Zavurov to create enough space to get free, but Nakamura shuts that opportunity down.

>Zavurov shows stubborn resistance and Nakamura cannot complete the takedown.

>Zavurov tries to uses a whizzer to turn Nakamura, but is blocked from doing so.

>We've now passed the halfway mark in this round.

>Zavurov will not go down, he blocks the takedown despite the best efforts of Nakamura.

>Zavurov tries to get free of the clinch, but is stuck.

>A whizzer almost allows Zavurov to create enough space to get free, but Nakamura shuts that opportunity down.

>With the ropes trapping Zavurov, Nakamura looks to try and take him down.

>Zavurov digs in and manages to defend the takedown.

>Zavurov turns Nakamura slightly, but can't create enough space to get free of the clinch.

>Nakamura tries hard but cannot get Zavurov off of his feet.

>Shamil Zavurov is looking really tired.

>The time runs out on round one.

Round 2:

>Between rounds we could hear the corner of Zavurov telling him to take it to the ground early.

>Nakamura counters a left jab with a clean jab.

>Nakamura waits out a flurry of punches and then hits a left jab to the cheek.

>Zavurov throws a couple of jabs, a set up for a tired-looking takedown attempt on Nakamura.

>Nakamura sees the takedown coming and tries to move.

>Zavurov can't get the takedown, Nakamura was too quick to back away.

>Nakamura slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>A flicked jab from Zavurov only finds gloves.

>Nakamura doesn't press the issue, allowing Zavurov to circle.

>From the looks of things, I don't think Shamil Zavurov has much energy left.

>Breathing very hard, Keita Nakamura is looking ragged.

>Nakamura explodes on Zavurov with a barrage of big right hands.

>Nakamura uses head movement to dodge a jab, and counters with a crisp left jab.

>Zavurov slips past a jab and scores with a clean left jab.

>Zavurov tries for a left jab but Nakamura uses head movement to avoid it.

>Zavurov throws a wild right hand, but Nakamura covers up and absorbs the strike.

>Zavurov backs away from Nakamura, creating some space between them.

>Nakamura avoids a flurry of punches and hits a nice jab.

>Zavurov bobs and weaves.

>Not letting up, Nakamura steps in closer to pressure Zavurov into action.

>A couple of sloppy right hands are used to set up a tired-looking takedown attempt from Nakamura.

>Zavurov sprawls to stop the takedown, then pulls Nakamura up close into a clinch.

>Zavurov uses underhooks to gain solid control, and is looking for a takedown.

>He lifts his opponent and drives him down with a Greco-Roman slam! Nakamura pulls guard.

>Shamil Zavurov looks totally gassed.

>Zavurov attempts to pass guard.

>Zavurov gets pulled in tight, stopping him from posturing up or launching any attacks.

>Zavurov begins trying to pass the guard.

>Grabbing an arm, Nakamura attempts to lock on a triangle choke.

>Zavurov blocks the attempt.

>Keita Nakamura looks like he doesn't have a lot left to give.

>Zavurov is trying to pass guard.

>Nakamura keeps his guard secure.

>Nakamura tries to sweep Zavurov but can't do it.

>Zavurov begins trying to pass the guard.

>He can't get free of the guard.

>The time expires on round two, and that is the end of the fight.

>The official decisions are being reported now.

>Judge #1: Zavurov.

>Judge #2 gives the result in favour of Nakamura.

>Judge #3: Nakamura.

>The winner, by split decision, is Keita Nakamura!

>Official Result: 'K-Taro' Keita Nakamura defeats Shamil 'Champion' Zavurov (Split Decision in 10:00 of round 2). The match was rated as being Awful.

WWGP Quarterfinals:

K-Taro Nakamura x Brian Foster

Alberto Mina x John Howard

Gunnar Nelson x Hernani Perpetuo

Taisuke Okuno x Robert Whittaker

Prediction Standings:

Jingo: 22-10

completesky: 20-12

CageRage: 18-14

PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round Card Finalized

PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Nippon Budokan/ 2nd Week of May

Opening Match:

Alexander Sarnavskiy (21-1/Russia)

x

Maciej Jewtuszko (10-2/Poland)

Match Two:

Katsuhiko Nagata (6-7-2/Japan)

x

Joe Ellenberger (14-1/USA)

Match Three:

Luiz Firmino (15-6/Brazil)

x

Mairbek Taisumov (18-4/Austria)

Match Four:

Yasuaki Kishimoto (14-5-2/Japan)

x

Luiz Azeredo (15-10/Brazil)

Match Five:

ISAO Kobayashi (13-1-3/Japan)

x

Luciano Azevedo (16-9-1/Brazil)

Match Six:

Antonio McKee (28-5-2/USA)

x

Abdul Mohamed (19-8-3/England)

Match Seven:

Ronys Torres (25-5/Brazil)

x

Joseph Duffy (10-1/Ireland)

Main Event:

Mizuto Hirota (14-5-1/Japan)

x

Tyrone Glover (6-0/USA)

Brian Foster Suffers Injury; Will Miss the Remainder of the Welterweight Grand Prix

In an unfortunate bit of news, we have just received word that Brian Foster will have to drop out from the Welterweight Grand Prix due to an injury that will not heal in time.

In his first fight back since his temporary retirement, Brian Foster came back with a bang, knocking out hot Swede prospect Assan Njie. While it looked like he was already returning to form and setting himself up with a quarterfinal fight with heavy favorite K-Taro Nakamura, things will have to be on hold for now.

The Middleweight/Welterweight Grand Prix Quarterfinals are expected to take place in October while word from Foster's doctor states that he won't be healed, much less be in fighting shape, until at least the last week of November.

The current plan is to have Andrews Nakahara and Xavier Lucas fight in a reserve bout, based on both of their rousing performances, at either the FWGP or BWGP card. If the winner of that fight isn't healed in time, that spot will go to the reserve pick, being Assan Njie, the man Brian Foster finished last week.

After the injury is healed, PURE plans on utilizing Foster in a reserve bout with a fighter eliminated from the Quarterfinals.

PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Nippon Budokan/ 2nd Week of May

Opening Match:

x

Match Two:

x

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Main Event:

x

Tyrone Glover (6-0/USA)

Opening Match:

x

Match Two:

x

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Main Event:

x

Tyrone Glover (6-0/USA)

Opening Match:

x

Match Two:

x

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Main Event:

x

Tyrone Glover (6-0/USA)

PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round Preview:

It's been a busy month and a half for PURE, holding their third event in five weeks. The upcoming Lightweight Grand Prix looks to be one of their best yet.

A highly competitive field with the likes of Mizuto Hirota, Ronys Torres, Antonio McKee, and Alexander Sarnavskiy. These are just the established names, though. Domestic fighters like ISAO and Yasuaki Kishimoto are looking forward to showing off their stuff in front of a much larger crowd to what they're used to, as is American product Joe Ellenberger.

We here at Blurcat are extremely excited for this card as it has huge potential to deliver, but there's not a single fighter that you can fairly label as the favorite, something that should make this Grand Prix as dramatic as March Madness.

Here is our preview:

Mizuto Hirota (14-5-1/Japan) x Tyrone Glover (6-0/USA)

If there had to be a favorite named, Mizuto Hirota would probably be our unanimous pick. He has realized championship glory before, in both Cage Force and Sengoku. While always a fan favorite on a smaller scale, his dominate victory over then Sengoku champion Satoru Kitaoka, made him a name worldwide. While unfortunately out for a year after a gruesome injury by the hands of Shinya Aoki, Hirota returned recently in fantastic form, while even gaining control of the DEEP title. His mix of good wrestling and excellent hands gives him advantage over almost every competitor in this tournament.

His opponent, Tyrone Glover, is a very high level grappler. In only his fourth fight, he won a decision against the massively experienced Din Thomas. Afterwards, he took a sabbatical to return full time to grappling. After five years, he returned to win his next two bouts. His time away from the sport definitely showed, as he looked very tepid in his last fight. This time around, he has a full camp of MMA training and looks to come in looking the best he ever has.

Verdict: Tyrone Glover has a lot of potential for a 33 year old convert, but Hirota will show to be too much for him. Hirota is our pick by 2R TKO.

Ronys Torres (25-5/Brazil) x Joseph Duffy (10-1/Ireland)

Ronys Torres is one of the best lightweights that Brazil has to offer. Unfortunately, he hasn't performed at his best in his biggest fights. With a camp like Nova Uniao and good mix of striking and grappling, he still has plenty of potential to make noise at 155. Although time is now his biggest opponent, this could be his last chance to do big things.

Joseph Duffy is one of the best European products at this moment, with tenacious offensive grappling and an underrated striking ability. He has proven his worth with excellent wins over Norman Parke and Conor McGregor. If he does show a weakness, it has to be stronger, older grapplers, as seen in his losses to Ivan Musardo and his TUF loss to Kyle Watson. Still young, Duffy has time to become a major threat.

Verdict: While on paper, this could look a bit one sided, in actuality it's most likely a toss-up. Both fighters are sure to have excellent camps going into this fight and it'll ultimately depend on who is allowed to implement their gameplan most effectively. We'll go with the safe pick and take Torres by decision.

Antonio McKee (28-5-2/USA) x Abdul Mohamed (19-8-3/England)

Not too long ago, Antonio McKee was considered the best lightweight to have never fought on the big stage. He was also considered one of the most tedious fighters to watch. My, how things can change. Since then, McKee has fought in both the UFC and DREAM, losing both bouts in far from boring bouts. Another change is his willingness to throw punches and make it a fight instead of relying solely on his stifling top control. Regardless of age and recent results, McKee is still one of the best wrestlers in the entire division and definitely has the ability to finish fights.

Abdul Mohamed is a long-time veteran in England's MMA scene. He isn't exactly the greatest fighter, losing most of the fights he's had against higher quality opposition and he doesn't have a skillset that jumps out at you, being well-rounded but not excelling at any particular thing but one thing is for sure, he's very tough. With that toughness leads to weakness, as he's too willing to take punishment. He's also very open to submissions.

Verdict: McKee just looks to be too good for Mohamed, having him beat in every aspect of MMA. Although McKee has a tendency to faulter under pressure, it doesn't seem like he'll have to worry all too much here. Our pick is McKee by eventual TKO.

ISAO Kobayashi (13-1-3/Japan) x Luciano Azevedo (16-9-1/Brazil)

ISAO is without a doubt, the hottest prospect at 155 from Japan, arguably in the whole world. Respectable takedown defense, good grappling, and incredibly devastating hands, there's a reason he's the Lightweight King of Pancrase. Having avenged his lone loss to Koji Oishi and defeating the likes of Kenichiro Togashi, Kazuki Tokudome, and Artur Oumakahnov, he's ready to make a splash across the world.

Known worldwide from his appearance in Pride and the only man to defeat Jose Aldo, Luciano Azevedo is a solid fighter who deserves a spot in this Grand Prix. A black belt of luta livre, he prefers to mix up his strikes to get the fight to the ground and finish it there. Although very talented, he has lost to nearly every top fighter he has since his victory over Aldo, although the losses have been to a who's who of fighters such as Sakurai, Camoes, Adriano Martins, Luis Ramos, Milton Vieira, and Antonio McKee.

Verdict: ISAO could struggle but this seems like a perfect opportunity to put the world on notice to his imminent domination. ISAO wins by KO.

Yasuaki Kishimoto (14-5-2/Japan) x Luiz Azeredo (15-10/Brazil)

Until recently, Yasuaki Kishimoto quietly compiled a great record against decent opposition with wins against Un Sik Song, Jutaro Nakao, and Kosuke Umeda. Since then, he has taken a steep step up competition, losing fights to both Kikuno and Daisuke Nakamura, although he performed valiantly. Very well-rounded, he hardly ever seems lost wherever the fight goes.

Luiz Azeredo is best known for his fights in Pride, including one of the most entertaining fights ever against fellow grand prix participant Luiz Firmino and a victory over Anderson Silva at welterweight. Ever since his career started, Azeredo has not had an easy road to success, facing such names like Gomi, Kawajiri, Hansen, Daley, Marcello, and Torres. Unfortunately, he has fallen on tough times as of late, splitting his last six fights with three victories and three losses. Regardless, he's every bit as well-rounded as his opponent, with the ability to finish the fight both on the feet and the ground.

Verdict: With both of these guys, we are sure to have a very entertaining fight. While Azeredo could certainly hold his own, we'll go with the younger fighter and take Kishimoto by decision.

Luiz Firmino (15-6/Brazil) x Mairbek Taisumov (18-4/Austria)

An extrememly dangerous submission artist, Luiz Buscape is every bit of dangerous as he was earlier in his career. While he certainly suffers from the same problem as his Brazilian brethren, as he can't seem to string victories along to really get momentum going, he has seemingly gone through a recent renaissance, culminating in a victory over Toby Imada. While has lost to guys such as Kawajiri (x2), Trinaldo, and Azeredo; he does hold notable victories over Ryan Healy, Imanari, and Miyata.

An M-1 product that's an absolute beast in the ring, Mairbek Taisumov enters this grand prix with aspirations of defeating the best while becoming the best. Very proficient at finishing fights on the ground and all the feet, he looks to be a solid fighter in the near future, albeit against lesser competition. Taisumov does seem to fall short against most of the best fighters that M-1 offers, with losses against Gafarov, Damkovsky, Galiev, and Buchinger but does hold solid victories against Ivlev, Truscek, Latomaki, and Mankowski.

Veridict: Taisumov will make this a very close fight but Buscape will do just enough and win by late submission.

Katsuhiko Nagata (6-7-2/Japan) x Joe Ellenberger (14-1/USA)

An Olympic medalist, Katsuhiko Nagata certainly hasn't had an easy beginning to his career. Four of his first five opponents were highly regarded fighters such as Morkevicius, Akiyama, Katsumura, and Uno while going a respectable 3-2. Since then, things grew even tougher with losses against fighters such as Aoki, Kotani, Shaolin, Hironaka, and Katsuya Inoue. He doesn't have the most attractive record due to his high level of opposition, but his wrestling is world class and he does have solid ground and pound to trouble lesser fighters.

The brother of highly regarded UFC Welterweight Jake Ellenberger, Joe Ellenberger enters this tournament with the hopes of building his own name and shaping a legacy. He started his career on the regional circuit on an absolute tear, going 12-0, until he faced eventual UFC signee Justin Salas, a loss that caused him to miss out on fighting in the Octagon. Since then, he has returned to his winning ways with two straight victories. While not the UFC, PURE does offer him plenty of challenges. He has just as much power in his hands as his brother and a respectable submission game. Is he ready to make the next step to stardom?

Verdict: Nagata has a style that could potentially frustrate Ellenberger, as he seemed susceptible to takedowns in his fight with Salas, a observation that doesn't seem to bode too well against someone with such world class wrestling such as Nagata's. Don't be surprised to see Nagata grind his way to victory but we'll take a chance and assume that Ellenberger has been working hard on his wrestling and win this one by TKO.

Alexander Sarnavskiy (21-1/Russia) x Maciej Jewtuszko (10-2/Poland)

Before his loss to Clementi, Sarnavskiy was undoubtedly the most hyped lightweight prospect in the world. Although still highly touted and full of potential, his loss to Clementi did show he had a lot of work to be done to fully realized his potential. Building his record against lesser competition and thoroughly dominating said competition, he showed an incredible grappling ability and striking that needed much work but was still highly effective. While confidence was certainly at a high against that opposition, it never allowed for him to see true weaknesses, a learning experience that the Clementi fight brought to the table. Still strong offensively, his wrestling defense needed much work as he was taken down with ease and wasn't allowed to implement submissions from neutral positions he was put in. Since then he has looked much improved in victories over Tony Hervey and Thiago Michel, an impressive feat considering the quick turnaround from the Clementi fight.

Maciej Jewtuszko broke through the MMA world with the rousing knockout over Anthony Njokuani in WEC. Unfortunately, he was cut after only one loss in the UFC where he was outgrappled by Curt Warburton, which was followed by another defeat to Artur Sowinski by knockout. Since then, he has turned things around with wins against Dean Amasinger and Sowinski in the rematch, this time for the KSW Lightweight Championship. While versed in both grappling and striking, he'd much prefer to keep the fight standing with his knockout power. He also struggles to perform well off his back and his takedown defense leaves a lot to be desired.

Verdict: As long as this is standing, Jewtuszko definitely has a chance to squeak out a victory but everywhere else, Sarnavskiy has Jewtuszko completely outmatched. We expect Sarnavskiy to get it to the ground sooner than later and get the submission victory.

Archived