PURE Fighting Championships: 21st Century Vale Tudo

PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round Official Weigh-In and Press Conference

We are live from the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills for the Official Weigh-In and Press Conference for tomorrow night's Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round, which will emanate from the Nippon Budokan. It is expected to be near a sell-out crowd.

In other news, all fighters were on weight and cleared to fight tomorrow night without a hitch. PURE hopes this is a sign of things to come after the CWGP was hampered by a two weight misses.

Also announced, Megumi Fujii x Yuka Tsuji was made official for PURE Fighting Championships IX: Heavyweight & Cruiserweight Grand Prix Quarterfinals in September at Saitama Super Arena. It unknown where the fight will take place on the card as of now.

Following the announcement, the press conference commenced and here were the highlights:

Mizuto Hirota:

"I'm here for one thing only and that is to add another championship to my collection. I always look forward to facing the best opposition possible and this grand prix has no shortage of that."

"Tyrone Glover is an excellent grappler but I have faced my fair share of high quality grapplers. I'm very confident in what i'm capable of doing tomorrow night. I want him to bring the best fight possible since we are the main event. I'll aim to make him fight my fight and beat him anywhere he tries to take it."

Tyrone Glover:

"This is without a doubt the biggest fight of my life. It's an honor to return to Japan, where I got the biggest win of my career. I am prepared to do the same tomorrow night."

"I hope Hirota doesn't expect a retread of his fight with Kitaoka, it's going to be more along the lines of the Aoki fight. I'm not going to break his arm or anything but I will make him submit. I've got hands, unlike the other two, and i'm going to make it as tough as possible for him."

Ronys Torres:

"I have so much to prove tomorrow night. I've had my chances and I just haven't put it together. I'm not going to get another chance like this and I have to make the most of it. I still think i'm one of the best out there, it's just time to prove it now."

"I won't be underestimating Duffy. I'm in no position to do so. He's got skill and I know he's been training hard but i've been training harder. I will win."

Joseph Duffy:

"This is the moment i've been waiting for. I'm ready to take my talent worldwide and i'm ready to challenge myself. These are some top-tier talents and I hope I can face the vast majority of them in the near future. I'm at the best i've ever been and i'm ready to open eyes."

"Torres is a good fighter but it's my time. He's had his chance and he hasn't made the most of them. I'm lucky to get this chance and everyone better be alerted that i'm definitely going to make the most out of this one. I think I can match him skill for skill at every aspect. I'm going to show that in full force tomorrow night."

Antonio McKee:

"This is it. This is my last run. I might not even make it through the entire grand prix, I just don't know yet. Until then, i'm aiming to be on top of the world. It's time to end my career with a championship."

"Abdul Mohamed has hell right in front of him and he ain't got nothing to stop that. I'm not going to let up until his crumpled on the ground."

Abdul Mohamed:

"I've always been meant for this. I've accomplished all I could in England and now it's time to fight the rest of the world. I haven't really fought all too much recently, but this opportunity certainly reignited my motivation."

"McKee is done for. He's a broken down old man. His chin is begging to be destroyed and i'll be obligated to do so."

ISAO Kobayashi:

"I don't think i've ever felt so excited before in my life. I've proven myself in Pancrase and i'm ready to do the same in PURE. I don't care who is in front of me, I want to fight and I want to win."

"It's an honor to fight someone as experience as Luciano. He's the type of fighter that is exactly what I need at this point in my career. I'm not going to fool around, i'm going in there with a business only mentality. I'll finish him any way I possibly can."

Luciano Azevedo:

"I feel like I still have a lot of great fights inside of me. I can't wait to get in the ring tomorrow and show everyone that. I'm not going to be that veteran that some young gun builds his name off of. I'm going to be that veteran that shows everyone that he still has it."

"I don't think ISAO knows what he's got in store for him tomorrow night. His time will come but not against me."

Yasuaki Kishimoto:

"It's going to be incredible to fight in front of big crowd. I share the same feelings as ISAO. Most of my own people still don't even know of me, so i'm looking forward to finally getting my name out there."

"I've seen many of Azeredo's fights in Pride and he was always a warrior and very fun to watch. It's without a doubt and honor to call him my opponent. It's not going to be an easy fight but i'm going out there tomorrow night with no fear. I will win and go to the championship."

Luiz Azeredo:

"Some of my best fights ever have been here so maybe that'll motivate me enough to be the Azeredo I once was. I took some time off to heal up and think things over and it did me better. I've got quite a few surprises left to show people."

"Kishimoto is even a test for me. I wanted to fight someone youthful and I got my wish. I'm going to prove i'm still in my prime and not over the hill."

Luiz Firmino:

"I'm back and i'm not going anywhere too soon. I think I have a good chance at beating anyone in this field. Doesn't matter if you even have a win against me, i've bettered myself. I am willing to bring the pain to anyone that feels otherwise."

"I don't know all too much about Taisumov, outside of being a good fighter but he's not ready for someone like me. If he can't even beat the best from his region, he definitely won't be able to defeat me."

Mairbek Taisumov:

"It was definitely time for me to move beyond Russia and stack my talent up against the best of the world. It'll be good for experience and it'll just make me better than i'd ever be staying in Russia. I'm here to better myself and take some names while i'm at it."

"Firmino's time has come and gone. He has performed well as of late but he's going to get more than he bargained for with me. He won't be able to handle my athleticism and it'll show tomorrow night."

Katsuhiko Nagata:

"Just a year ago, it felt like I reached the end of the road in my MMA career but I wanted to go out with a victory. I couldn't get fights with Pancrase and with my luck, PURE had a spot open and I gladly took the opportunity given to me. It's fate speaking to me and I think it'll pay off."

"Ellenberger has a good skillset but he hasn't fought anyone near the guys that I have. While it was a rough experience, it still taught me a lot and I feel like that the pay off of those defeats will make me stronger than ever. I'm not going down to anyone without a fight."

Joe Ellenberger:

"I missed my shot at the UFC but I was fortunate enough to have PURE willing to give me a chance. I won't let them down at all, as they'll see tomorrow night. I was originally slated to fight Kume, with all due respect, that seemed to have been a tougher match-up for me. I'm ready for anything. Nagata has high caliber wrestling and has faced all top guys he could get a hand on, which gives me more motivation to beat him down."

Alexander Sarnavskiy:

"The Clementi fight lit a fire underneath me that never existed before. I thought I was untouchable but that wasn't the case at all. I've been humbled and I didn't appreciate it. Now I'm stronger than ever and I will steamroll through everyone. In return, thanks Rich *laughs*"

"Jewtuszko is trouble. He's got good hands but I think that's about it. I'm going to break his will and i'm going to put him out as quickly as possible."

Maciej Jewtuszko:

"I really don't have much to say. I'm appreciative to be here, i'm going to fight my best, and no matter what he brings to the table tomorrow night, Sarnavskiy will be done."

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Nippon Budokan (12,963)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Nippon_Budoukan_AGE_Ibamoto_3.png/250px-Nippon_Budoukan_AGE_Ibamoto_3.png

Hello everyone! We are live from the Nippon Budokan for a huge night of fights as the Lightweight Grand Prix is underway! From top to bottom, we are expecting a night full of excitement, anchored by a main event between JMMA stalwart Mizuto Hirota and Tyrone Glover, a man who believes that with a win tonight, he'd already punch his name into the finals.

http://jiujitsusavedmylife.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/img_0760.jpg

The seats are steadily filling and the ring lights have shut off. That only means one thing, IT IS TIME FOR THE OPENING CEREMONY!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the Nippon Budokan for PURE Fighting Championships V: Lightweight Grand Prix Opening Round!

Sixteen fighters from all over the world are here tonight to prove that they are the best and will make their first step towards the Lightweight Championship! Who will see the light of glory and who will feel the agony of defeat?

This is sport. This is art. This is excellence. THIS. IS. PURE!

Introducing first. From Poland, MAAACIIIEJJJJ JEWWWWTUUUUSZZZKOOOOO

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Maciej_Jewtuszko/maciej_jewtuszko_head.png

His opponent. From Russia, ALEXXXANNNNDERRRR SAARRRRNAAAVVVSKIIYYYYY

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/400/CO/COITOFNWPSYGOJY.20120712190059.png

Second bout. From the United States, JOOOOOOE ELLLLENNNNBERRRGERRRRR

http://www.agogegrappler.com/wp-content/themes/agoge/images/teamAgogeJoeEllenberger.jpg

From JAPAN, KAAAATTTTSUUUUUHIIIIKOOOOO NAAAAGAAAATAAAA

http://www.dreamofficial.com/free/fighters/img/big/1238744931.jpg

Third bout. From Austria, MAAAIIIRRRRBEKKKK TAAIIIISUUUUMOOOOVVVV

http://www.mmaweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mairbek-Taisumov.jpg

From Brazil, LUUUIIIIZZZZ FIIRRRRMIIIIINOOOOOO

http://www.mmajunkie.com/files/large/2746

Fourth bout. From Brazil, LUUUUIIIZZZZ AZZEEREEEEDOOOOOO

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/9/95/Azeredo.jpg

From JAPAN, YAASSUUUUUUAAAAAKIIIII KIIIISHIIIIIMOOOOOTOOOOO

http://www1.cdn.sherdog.com/image_crop/200/300/_images/fighter/20110725080631_Kishimoto.JPG

Fifth bout. From Brazil, LUUUUCIIIIANNNOOOO AZZZEEEVEEEEDOOOOO

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/9/95/Azevedo2.jpg

From JAPAN, IIIIIIIISAAAAAAAOOOOO KOOOBAAAAYAAAASHIIIIIII

http://www.tapology.com/system/letterbox_images/5687/default/Isao-Kobayashi.jpeg?1330470316

Sixth bout. From England, ABBBDUUUULLLL MOOOOHAAAMMMMEDDDD

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PCR8wo0AfvI/S2w_j9KtkfI/AAAAAAAABAA/UFSz9emw06U/s400/abdul.jpg

From the United States, ANNNTOOOONIIIOOOOO MCCCKKKKKEEEEEEE

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Antonio_McKee/antonio_mckee_head.png

Seventh bout. From Ireland, JOOOOSEPPPPHHH DUUUFFFFFFYYYYYYY

http://www.mmajunkie.com/files/large/6297

From Brazil, ROOOONNYYYYSSSS TOOOORRRRREESSSSSS

http://www2.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20100116102120_IMG_66302.JPG

MAIN EVENT. From the United States, TYYYYROOOOONNNEEEE GLOOOOOOVEERRRRRR

http://www.mmaweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Tyrone-Glover-Grudge.jpg

From JAPAN, MIIIIIZUUUUUTOOOOOO HIIIIIIIIROOOOOOTAAAAAAAA

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Mizuto_Hirota/MizutoHirota_Headshot.png

Opening Match: Maciej Jewtuszko x Alexander Sarnavskiy

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Both fighters come in and exchange strikes, but neither does any damage.

>Jewtuszko sees a low kick being set up and takes the opportunity to strike first with an enormous right hook, Sarnavskiy is out before he hits the ground!

>By Knock Out, the winner is Maciej Jewtuszko!

>Official Result: Maciej 'Irokez' Jewtuszko defeats Alexander 'Tiger' Sarnavskiy (Knock Out (Punch) in 0:45 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Two: Joe Ellenberger x Katsuhiko Nagata

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Ellenberger knocks Nagata down with a barrage of big rights!

>Ellenberger knows that this is a golden opportunity, and quickly pounces on Nagata, looking to finish him off by raining down punches!

>Ellenberger fires away with punches, Nagata is getting pounded.

>There's lots of strikes landing, Nagata needs to find a way out of this position quickly!

>The referee pulls Ellenberger away, stopping the match!

>Joe Ellenberger takes the victory by way of TKO!

>Official Result: Joe 'Excalibur' Ellenberger defeats Katsuhiko Nagata (TKO (Strikes) in 0:55 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Three: Mairbek Taisumov x Luiz Firmino

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>A flurry of punches miss Firmino and allow him to counter-strike with a big right kick to the outside of the thigh.

>Taisumov counters a weak right kick with a nice left hand.

>Taisumov feints stepping in.

>Moving in closer, Taisumov looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>Seeing a takedown opportunity, Firmino drops down and uses a single leg, Taisumov has to pull guard.

>Taisumov is controlled against the ground, unable to shift Firmino off of him.

>Firmino attempts to pass guard and gain a better position.

>He finds himself unable to pass guard on this attempt.

>Taisumov raises his legs and tries to get Firmino into a triangle choke.

>Firmino blocks the attempt.

>Taisumov doesn't allow Firmino to smother him against the ground.

>Taisumov raises his legs and tries to get Firmino into a triangle choke.

>Firmino blocks the triangle attempt.

>Time slips away as Firmino successfully keeps Taisumov stuck against the ground.

>The lack of progress forces the referee to stand the fighters back up.

>A straight left from Taisumov fails to land.

>Firmino quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>Firmino throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Firmino gets caught out and eats a stiff left jab.

>We pass the halfway mark of this round.

>Moving in closer, Taisumov looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>The two fighters move closer, ready to strike.

>Standing in the pocket, Firmino chooses to shoot in for a double leg on Taisumov.

>A counter left hand catches Firmino above the eye.

>Taisumov stalks Firmino, forcing him back into the corner.

>Taisumov unloads with heavy right hands, knocking Firmino down!

>Taisumov starts pounding away on Firmino, looking to finish him off!

>Taisumov can't put Firmino away, and gets sucked into half guard.

>Taisumov tries to get out of half guard and stand up, but Firmino doesn't allow it.

>Shrimping quickly, Firmino gets to full guard.

>Taisumov fires off a handful of punches, each easily being blocked with gloves.

>Firmino attempts a triangle choke on Taisumov from the bottom of the guard.

>Taisumov blocks the triangle attempt.

>Taisumov tries to get out of guard and stand up, but Firmino doesn't allow it.

>Firmino grabs an arm and raises his legs, trying to lock Taisumov into a triangle choke.

>Firmino gets the triangle fully applied...and there's the tap out!

>The winner, by submission, is Luiz 'Buscape' Firmino!

>Official Result: Luiz 'Buscape' Firmino defeats Mairbek 'Beckan' Taisumov (Submission (Triangle With Armbar) in 8:18 of round 1). The match was rated as being Decent.

Match Four: Luiz Azeredo x Yasuaki Kishimoto

Round 1:

>There's the opening bell!

>Kishimoto slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>Both fighters come in and throw strikes, there is no real damage done by either.

>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up grappling.

>Kishimoto has worked in the underhooks and looks to take Azeredo down.

>Kishimoto can't get the takedown, Azeredo defended it well.

>Azeredo tries to get free of the clinch, but is stuck.

>Getting underhooks, Kishimoto looks for a takedown.

>Kishimoto gets the takedown by using the underhooks for control and working a trip! Azeredo pulls guard.

>Kishimoto looks to get past the guard.

>Advancing his position, he passes to half guard.

>Kishimoto begins trying to get his leg free of half guard and get a better position.

>Azeredo doesn't let Kishimoto get his leg free, and so half guard remains in place.

>Azeredo bursts into life and tries to scramble into a better position.

>Neither fighter can gain an advantage in the scramble, and they both end up on their feet.

>Kishimoto slips out of the way of a body kick.

>Azeredo bobs and weaves.

>Kishimoto steps in to put some pressure on.

>Kishimoto comes in swinging wildly, using the strikes as cover so that he can shoot in.

>Azeredo attempts to avoid Kishimoto as he shoots in.

>Kishimoto doesn't get the takedown, Azeredo avoided it.

>Azeredo circles around Kishimoto.

>Not letting Azeredo settle at all, Kishimoto comes in closer.

>We move into the second half of this round.

>An exchange of blows doesn't really produce any damage or a clear advantage.

>Moving in closer, Azeredo looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>He gets into range.

>Azeredo tries for a body kick but Kishimoto sees it coming and avoids it.

>Kishimoto shoots in, looking for a close range double leg.

>Azeredo counters with a right hand that catches Kishimoto flush...and he goes down!

>Kishimoto shakes off the blow almost immediately though, and waits for Azeredo to make a move.

>An up-kick makes Azeredo think twice about advancing.

>Azeredo looks to get on top of Kishimoto.

>Azeredo can't hold Kishimoto down and a scramble starts.

>Kishimoto ends up in half guard.

>Kishimoto starts trying to work to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>Azeredo keeps his half guard secure.

>Kishimoto blocks an attempted sweep.

>Kishimoto is trying to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>He passes half guard fairly easily, getting to side control.

>Kishimoto tries to slip behind and take the back.

>Kishimoto takes the back, Azeredo could do nothing about it.

>The end of the round is coming quick, there's under a minute left.

>Kishimoto tries to hook Azeredo in a rear naked choke.

>Azeredo stops Kishimoto from flattening him out.

>Azeredo tries a roll, but doesn't budge Kishimoto.

>Kishimoto tries to set up Azeredo for an armbar.

>Azeredo pulls free of the armbar attempt, leaving Kishimoto lying flat, easily secured in side control.

>Round one is brought to an end as time runs out.

Round 2:

>We are back underway!

>Between rounds, his corner told Azeredo to be aggressive and really let his hands go.

>Both fighters fire off strikes, but neither does any significant damage.

>Luiz Azeredo doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>A couple of wild punches go sailing past, giving Kishimoto the opportunity to counter with a crisp left hand punch.

>Kishimoto moves out of range of some wild punches.

>Despite being tired, Azeredo looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Kishimoto.

>Azeredo is forced to use his gloves to deflect a sudden counter right.

>Kishimoto shoots in, looking for a takedown.

>Azeredo tries to strike first with a solid right hook, but isn't quick enough.

>Kishimoto gets the takedown! Azeredo pulls guard.

>Kishimoto begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.

>He passes to side control.

>Kishimoto tries to lock Azeredo in a kimura.

>Azeredo defends himself well and is in no danger.

>Kishimoto feels Azeredo prepare to scramble for position and makes sure it doesn't happen.

>From the looks of things, I don't think Luiz Azeredo has much energy left.

>Kishimoto holds Azeredo in position with side control and drives a big knee into the ribs!

>Kishimoto holds Azeredo in position with side control and drives a big knee into the ribs!

>Kishimoto looks to roll Azeredo slightly and slip behind.

>He rolls Azeredo over a little...and slips behind to take the back!

>Kishimoto successfully gets both hooks in, and seems primed to finish.

>We are now at the halfway point of the round.

>Kishimoto, with both hooks fully in, tries to get the rear naked choke applied.

>The rear naked choke is in deep, Azeredo has to tap out!

>The winner, by submission; Yasuaki Kishimoto!

>Official Result: Yasuaki Kishimoto defeats 'The Joker' Luiz Azeredo (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 5:28 of round 2). The match was rated as being Great.

Match Five: Luciano Azevedo x ISAO Kobayashi

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Azevedo avoids a flurry of punches.

>Azevedo moves out of range of a flurry of punches.

>Both fighters go to exchange blows, but neither hits a telling strike.

>From the missed strikes they clinch.

>Azevedo tries to take Kobayashi down.

>The takedown is completed, Azevedo gets side control from it.

>Azevedo fires off a few punches as he catches his breath.

>Kobayashi tries to move to guard, but Azevedo doesn't allow it.

>Azevedo looks to roll Kobayashi slightly and slip behind.

>Azevedo takes the back, Kobayashi couldn't stop it.

>Azevedo increases his control by getting both hooks in.

>Azevedo, with both hooks in, attempts to get a rear naked choke fully applied.

>Kobayashi doesn't allow the rear naked choke to be applied.

>Azevedo keeps both hooks, despite Kobayashi trying to pull them apart.

>Azevedo attempts to complete a rear naked choke, having both hooks fully in.

>Kobayashi defends himself well against the choke.

>Kobayashi attempts to pull free of the hooks, but Azevedo doesn't allow it.

>Azevedo, with both hooks fully in, tries to get the rear naked choke applied.

>Kobayashi gets flattened out with the rear naked choke, he has to tap!

>The winner, by submission; Luciano Azevedo!

>Official Result: Luciano Azevedo defeats Isao Kobayashi (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 4:52 of round 1). The match was rated as being Decent.

Match Six: Abdul Mohamed x Antonio McKee

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>A jab doesn't find its intended target, allowing Mohamed to fire back with a kick to the outside of the right knee.

>McKee throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Mohamed tries to avoid McKee.

>The takedown is unsuccessful, Mohamed avoided McKee.

>Moving in closer, McKee looks like he may want to wrestle Mohamed.

>Mohamed ends up grappling for supremacy with McKee.

>With control of the clinch, McKee tries to complete a takedown.

>Mohamed cannot stop the takedown, and has to pull guard.

>McKee looks to get past the guard.

>Mohamed tries to catch McKee with a punch, but it is not on target.

>McKee looks to pass guard and get side control.

>Mohamed tries to pull McKee in close and pepper him with short strikes, but can't.

>McKee is trying to pass guard.

>McKee struggles but cannot find a way past and remains stuck in guard.

>Mohamed tries to pull McKee in close and pepper him with short strikes, but can't.

>McKee attempts to pass guard.

>Mohamed keeps his guard secure.

>McKee throws a few left hands as he takes a moment to plan ahead.

>With no progress being made, the referee stands them back up.

>McKee catches a weak right kick to the legs and uses it to go for a takedown, getting it! McKee is in half guard.

>McKee throws a few strikes, but they are without venom.

>McKee fires off a few punches as he catches his breath.

>McKee starts trying to work to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>He finds himself unable to get past the half guard on this attempt.

>McKee blocks an attempted sweep.

>McKee attempts to arm triangle Mohamed from the top of half guard.

>Mohamed stops McKee from applying it.

>Mohamed tries to sweep McKee but doesn't get anywhere.

>McKee unloads with some big left hands, but Mohamed deals with them comfortably.

>Mohamed tries a sweep from the bottom of half guard, but doesn't budge McKee.

>There's under a minute left in this round.

>With no progress being made, the referee brings the fighters back to their feet.

>McKee shoots in, looking for a takedown.

>Mohamed tries to time a counter right hand, but can't get it.

>McKee has the takedown! It's a single leg, and Mohamed has to pull guard.

>McKee struggles but cannot find a way past and remains stuck in guard.

>The time runs out on round one.

Round 2:

>There's the bell and round number two begins!

>McKee throws a right jab but Mohamed avoids it.

>Mohamed throws a left jab but McKee avoids it.

>McKee comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>The takedown is completed, Mohamed is on his back and pulls guard.

>McKee fires off a few punches as he catches his breath.

>McKee deflects a couple of punches that Mohamed threw from below.

>McKee throws a few weak-looking punches as he decides on his next move.

>He can't get free of the guard.

>In guard, McKee begins working to pass to side control.

>Mohamed keeps his guard secure.

>McKee leans back to avoid a couple of wild swings from Mohamed.

>The lengthy period of stalemate results in the referee standing them both back up.

>Mohamed throws a barrage of big rights but McKee is quick to move out of range.

>McKee avoids a flurry of rights and lefts.

>McKee catches an attempted body kick and goes for the takedown, and gets it, McKee is in half guard.

>McKee begins trying to get his leg free of the half guard.

>He can't get free of half guard.

>Abdul Mohamed doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>McKee throws a few strikes, but is clearly slowing things down so that he can catch his breath.

>McKee attempts to pass half guard.

>Mohamed doesn't let McKee get his leg free, and so half guard remains in place.

>Breathing very hard, Antonio McKee is looking ragged.

>McKee blocks Mohamed as he tries a sweep from half guard.

>McKee fires away with big elbows, but Mohamed keeps the half guard secure and doesn't take any undue damage.

>Mohamed tries a sweep from the bottom of half guard, but doesn't budge McKee.

>McKee begins trying to get his leg free of the half guard.

>He can't quite manage to get past half guard on this attempt.

>Mohamed tries to sweep McKee but can't do it.

>Abdul Mohamed looks like he doesn't have a lot left to give.

>We're into the final minute of the round.

>With no progress being made, the referee brings the fighters back to their feet.

>McKee throws out a quick right jab.

>Mohamed quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>The fight comes to an end as the time limit expires.

>The judges have given their decisions, which are about to be announced.

>All three judges have McKee down as the winner.

>McKee wins by unanimous decision!

>Official Result: Antonio 'Mandingo' McKee defeats Abdul Mohamed (Unanimous Decision in 10:00 of round 2). The match was rated as being Very Poor.

Match Seven: Joseph Duffy x Ronys Torres

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Duffy drops his shoulder as a feint, trying to draw a strike.

>Duffy is getting in closer to Torres, perhaps looking for a clinch.

>Torres snaps off a strong left jab as a counter, but it misses the target.

>Duffy comes in closer, looking to clinch with Torres.

>Not keen on getting too close to Duffy, Torres uses movement to keep out of reach.

>Duffy looks like he might be trying to get in close to clinch with Torres.

>Duffy can't get close enough to clinch, Torres keeps him away with strikes.

>Duffy comes in closer, looking to clinch with Torres.

>Duffy is forced to use his gloves to deflect a sudden counter right.

>Moving in closer, Torres looks like he may want to try and clinch with Duffy.

>Torres grabs Duffy and pulls him into a Muay Thai clinch.

>From the clinch, Torres drives a knee into the face of Duffy...and knocks him out!

>Ronys Torres takes the victory by way of Knock Out!

>Official Result: Ronys Torres defeats Joseph Duffy (Knock Out (Knee) in 2:41 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Main Event: Tyrone Glover x Mizuto Hirota

Round 1:

>Glover doesn't get drawn in as Hirota feints a kick.

>Glover drops his shoulder and feints to step in, but Hirota isn't buying it.

>A couple of quick punches are used to set up a takedown attempt from Glover.

>Hirota attempts to avoid Glover as he shoots in.

>Hirota avoids the takedown attempt.

>Hirota throws a leg kick but Glover avoids it.

>A straight left fails to land and Hirota is able to fire back with a spinning back fist, staggering Glover backward!

>They exchange strikes, but neither fighter inflicts any real damage.

>A quick exchange of strikes produces nothing worth mentioning.

>In close proximity from the strikes they threw, they fall into a messy clinch.

>Glover is looking to muscle Hirota back against the ropes.

>Hirota doesn't let himself be driven back though, and gains a dominant position in the grapple instead.

>Hirota is looking to muscle Glover back against the ropes.

>Hirota does it, Glover is stuck with his back to the ropes.

>Hirota hits Glover, who is pressed up against the ropes, with a nice short uppercut.

>Hirota takes a short step back and prepares to strike.

>Hirota throws a leg kick but Glover checks it easily.

>Glover tries for a left jab but Hirota uses head movement to avoid it.

>Glover comes in, looking for a quick double leg takedown from close range.

>Glover is stopped by a good sprawl, and is pulled down to the ground in a loose front facelock until he is on his knees.

>Hirota fires away with right hands, and Glover is stung by several big shots to the side of the head.

>Glover springs back to his feet, albeit at the expense of a few punches to the body and head.

>A left jab misses and Glover counters with a left jab to the cheek.

>Glover slips past a left jab and counters with a crisp left hand punch.

>Glover counters a left jab by using a jab.

>Hirota counters a left jab with an uppercut that knocks Glover off his feet! He is out!

>The winner, by Knock Out; Mizuto Hirota!

>Official Result: Mizuto Hirota defeats Tyrone 'T-Money' Glover (Knock Out (Punch) in 7:32 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

LWGP Quarterfinals:

Mizuto Hirota x Maciej Jewtuszko

Ronys Torres x Joe Ellenberger

Antonio McKee x Luiz Firmino

Yasuaki Kishimoto x Luciano Azevedo

Prediction Standings:

Jingo: 26-14

completesky: 25-15

CageRage: 24-16

Jayden: 5-3

PURE Fighting Championships VI: Featherweight Grand Prix Opening Round Card Finalized

PURE Fighting Championships VI: Featherweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Yoyogi National Gymnasium/ 2nd Week of June

Opening Match:

Devidas Taurosevicius (15-5/Lithuania)

x

Jimmie Rivera (11-1/USA)

Match Two:

L.C. Davis (17-5/USA)

x

Tyler Toner (13-5/USA)

Match Three:

Renato Carneiro (5-0-1/Brazil)

x

Taiki Tsuchiya (9-3/Japan)

Match Four:

Won Sik Park (10-4-1/South Korea)

x

Isaac De Jesus (9-5/USA)

Match Five:

Masanori Kanehara (21-10-5/Japan)

x

"Wicky" Akiyo Nishiura (11-7-1/Japan)

Match Six:

"Lion" Takeshi Inoue (21-7/Japan)

x

Chris Horodecki (18-4-1/Canada)

Match Seven:

Doo Ho Choi (9-1/South Korea)

x

Dokonjonosuke Mishima (20-7-2/Japan)

Main Event:

Yuji Hoshino (18-7-7/Japan)

x

Freddy Assuncao (7-1/Brazil)

Andrews Nakahara x Xavier Lucas WWGP Reserve Bout Announced for PURE Fighting Championships VII:

In an expected announcement, Andrews Nakahara x Xavier Lucas was officially announced as the Welterweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout, in lieu of the injury suffered by Brian Foster. The winner of this match will be slated to face K-Taro Nakamura at PURE Fighting Championships X.

The reserve bout will take place at the Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round at the Ryogoku Kokugikan during the 2nd week of July. It is expected to be the opening bout of the card.

Also announced was that they are planning on pushing back the MWGP/WWGP Quarterfinals to the last week of October, to make sure there will be enough time for the winner, barring injury, to be ready for their quarterfinal match-up.

PURE added that they planned on making more signings during the fall, in case of another fiasco. Regardless of what happens, they still have plans for the people they have an eye on and will announce those plans at a later date, when they feel it would be most appropriate.

@ Yoyogi National Gymnasium/ 2nd Week of June

Opening Match:

x

Jimmie Rivera (11-1/USA)

Match Two:

L.C. Davis (17-5/USA)

x

Tyler Toner (13-5/USA)

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Isaac De Jesus (9-5/USA)

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Main Event:

x

Opening Match:

x

Jimmie Rivera (11-1/USA)

Match Two:

L.C. Davis (17-5/USA)

x

Tyler Toner (13-5/USA)

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Isaac De Jesus (9-5/USA)

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Main Event:

x

PURE Fighting Championships VI: Featherweight Grand Prix Opening Round Preview

It's a brand new month, which means a brand new offering from PURE. This month, PURE's Featherweight Grand Prix is set to begin.

Although the main event is between JMMA veteran Yuji Hoshino and 145 prospect Freddy Assuncao, all eyes are on the co-main event of massive proportions.

The biggest featherweight prospect in quite some time, Doo Ho Choi will come face to face with former DEEP Champion and seminal JMMA legend, Dokonjonosuke Mishima. The hype surrounding Choi is unbelievable, as many believe he has potential to be one of the all time greats at this weight class. Opposing him will be Mishima, who will hope to end his career on a monumental victory.

Also scheduled to compete is former champions Lion Takeshi and Masanori Kanehara, Chris Horodecki in his debut at 145, hot prospects Renato Carneiro and Jimmie Rivera, and also WEC vets L.C. Davis and Devidas Taurosevicius.

Here is our prognostications for the event:

Yuji Hoshino (18-7-7/Japan) x Freddy Assuncao (7-1/Brazil)

A few years back, Yuji Hoshino compiled an excellent win streak, culminating in winning the Cage Force featherweight championship. Since then, he hasn't been entirely too active with a loss to Sandro and two wins against Nick Denis and Akitoshi Tamura, that fight at 135. While a decent run, all three fights were in a span of three and a half years and considering Hoshino is 37, he doesn't seem to have a lot left. Now back at 145, Hoshino will go into the grand prix proving that he has a lot left to give in this sport. Even at 37, his good mix of wrestling, submissions, and knockout ability will be sure to give a lot of people problems.

Freddy Assuncao is very familiar with the sport as both of his brothers, Junior and Raphael, have fought in the UFC. Now it is time for Freddy to make a name for himself by being placed in the main event with a very solid opponent. While not nearly experienced or as efficient as his brothers, he has performed well in his short career against notable names such as Felipe Arantes and Kit Cope. So far, he has a tendency to grind out his opponent with his fairly high level jiu-jitsu.

Verdict: Freddy Assuncao looks to have a solid future but he does have a large task at hand ahead of him, this weekend. While he could certainly grind out Hoshino, we'll go with Hoshino outworking him to a decision.

Doo Ho Choi (9-1/South Korea) x Dokonjonosuke Mishima (20-7-2/Japan)

Doo Ho Choi has been touted as a future great and received an immense amount of hype since his victory over Mitsuhiro Ishida. This weekend, that road to greatness could begin. Since then he has fought and won with the likes of Kosuke Umeda and Nobuhiro Obiya, but has also suffered setbacks including visa issues and injuries. With that behind him, there seems to be no looking back. Excellent takedown defense, incredible power, and absolutely relentless on the feet, Choi might have the most impressive skills out of anyone that fights this weekend. His only weakness seems to be his striking defense, as he eats a lot of unnecessary punches.

Entering his third decade of fighting, Dokonjonosuke Mishima will be calling it a career against the flag bearer of the new guard. Mishima has seem it all and fought a who's who of competition. Spanning Shooto, DEEP, Pride, and UFC; Mishima has fought Din Thomas, Imanari, Gomi, Aurelio, Yves Edwards, Krazy Horse, Joe Stevenson, Florian, and Takafumi Otsuka. While losing the majority, he has compiled numerous victories that held serious weight at the time. Choi might be a monster, but Mishima will show no fear with his vast experience. Mishima's main point of attack is his extremely strong grappling, with his ability to finish and hang with high level jiu jitsu pracitioners.

Verdict: Mishima will not go out with a fight. Considering this is his last fight, you should expect him to have a few moments. Regardless, Choi will begin to turn things up to another level and finish Mishima off by TKO later in the fight.

"Lion" Takeshi Inoue (21-7/Japan) x Chris Horodecki (18-4-1/Canada)

At first, there was the reign of Alexandre Franca Nogueira. Soon after, Lion Takeshi was the dominant force at 145. An equally good grappler as he is boxer, he holds victories over the likes of the aforementioned Nogueira, Tamura, Kadowaki, Tsuchiya, Sato, Matsumoto, and Uno. If there was ever a disadvantage he's always had, he always seems to underperform in larger matches, as seen against Hioki, Takaya, and Miyata. If he were to ever fix these inconsistencies, he could stay a force at 145 for the rest of his career.

Chris Horodecki jumped on the MMA scene at an extremely young age and started quickly making a name for himself in the IFL's 155 division. Before the age of 21, he beat the likes of Ryan Schultz and Bart Palaszewski. Since then, he has lost four fights in his next eleven, as he has shown a relatively weak chin against power punchers and his ground game still hasn't fully developed as seen against Cerrone and Downes. While he has weaknesses like anyone else, he does show crisp striking and he's still young enough to greatly improve. Now he will attempt to revitalize his stagnate career by dropping to 145.

Verdict: This fight could honestly go either way, with Lion's proficiency in coming up short when he most needs the opposite and Horodecki's weaker chin. We'll go with the more experienced fighter at this weight class, as Lion Takeshi wins by TKO.

Masanori Kanehara (21-10-5/Japan) x "Wicky" Akiyo Nishiura (11-7-1/Japan)

The first ever Sengoku Featherweight Champion, Masanori Kanehara looks to rekindle that magic, this time not as an alternate. After controversially winning the belt as an alternate and losing it in his first defense, Kanehara is in this tournament to silence his critics and prove once and for all, he is championship material. Although he does have a handful of notable victories against the tough Jong Man Kim, KID Yamamoto, Chan Sung Jung (albeit contentiously), and Michihiro Omigawa; he does seem to falter against opposition that has finishing ability on the feet. A very well rounded fighter, able to finish fights through striking and grappling, he does have a tendency to keep the fight upright and win from the outside and countering.

Wicky Akiyo is an incredibly entertaining fighter who made his name know to the world through DREAM. While a wide-open striker that can cause damage if given the opportunity, this does open him up to his biggest weakness, strong grapplers. Nearly all of his defeats since DREAM have came against these types, such as Falciroli, Uno, Hoshino, and Ishida (although one could argue that Wicky did enough to earn a victory in that fight). Recently, he has joined Matt Humes' camp in hopes of making him a better all-around fighter.

Verdict: Wicky seems to be an enigma, as we don't know how much he has learned through the switch of camps. If we are to pick right now, we can't see Wicky effectively implementing his game against the lanky Kanehara. We'll take Kanehara by decision.

Won Sik Park (10-4-1/South Korea) x Isaac De Jesus (9-5/USA)

Before there was the Korean Zombie and Doo Ho Choi, Won Sik Park was the hottest Korean prospect at 145. A tenacious skillset, where he aimed to finish the fight any way he possibly could, Park looked to be one to keep an eye on for the future. Unfortunately, after serving for the Korean Military and numerous injuries, he hasn't quite looked the same. Some still have high hopes for Park, could this weekend make those hopeful dance with joy?

Isaac DeJesus was once a bright prospect. After getting his first career loss against Brandon Visher, DeJesus bounced back strongly with a win against Nam Phan that earned him the Tachi Palace Fights Featherweight Championship. Where things seemed to have faltered is when he came in as a last minute replacement for a bout against Rob McCullough at 155. While in theory, this fight could have made himself a huge name, he was finished brutally in the first round. Since then, he has lost three of his last four, all by way of submission. After a near year long layoff, DeJesus looks to come back with a vengeance. While not particularly good at one discipline, he does grapple and strike well enough. His fight with Park could serve as an excellent bounce back match.

Verdict: Both fighters will have a lot to prove, as both haven't performed very well as of late and both coming off layoffs. What this boils down to is the better skillset and we can't help but favor Park. We'll take Parky by submission.

Renato Carneiro (5-0-1/Brazil) x Taiki Tsuchiya (9-3/Japan)

Arguably, the top prospect at 145 from Brazil, Renato Carneiro is taking his first step towards legitimacy. While only six fights into his career, he already has notable victories against Iliarde Santos, Marcos Capitao, Joao Paulo Rodrigues, and Joao Andrezinho. Standing at an imposing 5'11 and a very strong grappler, he could be a force in this grand prix. What he lacks in experience, he makes up for in pure talent.

Two years ago, Taiki Tsuchiya was a very hyped striker and many pegged him to great things in the future. The tune was awfully different after his loss to Lion Takeshi. Being knocked out, Tsuchiya lost face, ambition, and felt dejected. Enough so, that he took an immediate sabbatical. Two years later, Tsuchiya returns with hopes of revitalizing his career on the stage he was always meant for. Although his lack of grappling is worrisome against Carneiro, his lightning quick speed and precision can keep him in many fights. Whether that precision and speed has diminished has yet to be seen, though.

Verdict: If this were two years ago, you could easily make a case for a Tsuchiya victory based on his athleticism alone. Two years is a long time in this sport and we're completely unsure how Tsuchiya will even look after his layoff. That being said, we'll go with what's known in the present and take Carneiro by submission.

L.C. Davis (17-5/USA) x Tyler Toner (13-5/USA)

Once a prospect that had all the potential in the world, with high quality wrestling and active top control, things seemed to have come to a screeching halt after he was upset by Michihiro Omigawa in a Grand Prix he was favored to win. While he did coast in victories against Javier Vasquez, Diego Nunes, and Devidas Taurosevicius; he seemed to have lost that spark he once had earlier in his career, culminating in three straight losses. His last bout, a win by TKO, might be showing a rekindled Davis. He returns to Japan with the mission to erase all memory of his loss to Omigawa and win this grand prix like he aimed to win the last one.

Tyler Toner is no stranger to Japan. In a similar situation with being an underdog, as he will be this weekend, Toner came to Shootboxing and knocked out former champion Kenichi Ogata in a massive shocker to everyone in the kickboxing world. Toner looks to have the same result in the same country. While not a spectacular striker by any means, he still gets the job done. Not only does he have knockout ability but he can handle his own in the grappling department as well. All three of his losses have came against solid competition, which should give him enough experience to build off of. Although he hasn't fought in nearly two years, he still remains a threat.

Verdict: Toner could give Davis problems early on, but we believe that Toner simply does not have enough tools to frustrate Davis for the whole fifteen minutes. That's why we're taking Davis by decision.

Devidas Taurosevicius (15-5/Lithuania) x Jimmie Rivera (11-1/USA)

Devidas Taurosevicius is the quintessential featherweight gatekeeper. Extremely tough and well-rounded, but just not young enough to truly reach the elite. He comes into this grand prix as the spoiler, as he has the skill to beat anyone in the field but he will have a tough road ahead of him.

Jimmie Rivera normally fights at 135 but he has jumped up in weight for the second time in his career to take part in this grand prix. Incredibly quick, rugged, and well-rounded, he could very well be the darkhorse at making a long run in the tournament. What seems to be holding him back potentially will be the fact that he will be undersized against everyone in the field. Whether or not his speed or strength will be at an advantage or disadvantage remains to be seen, although he did perform very well in his lone fight at 145, a contentious decision loss.

Verdict: Rivera will drag this out and make it a fight. Whether that he'll drag it out long enough to sway victory to his side remains unseen. That being said, Devidas might just be too good for Rivera at this weight. We'll pick Taurosevicius by decision.

PURE Fighting Championships VI: Featherweight Grand Prix Opening Round Official Weigh-In & Press Conference

Live from the Royal Hall in Royal Park Hotel in Tokyo, we present to you PURE Fighting Championships' Official Weigh-In and Press Conference for the upcoming Featherweight Grand Prix Opening Round.

In regards to the Weigh-In, all fighter's are cleared for action tomorrow night. All but two fighters weighed in exactly at 145; Chris Horodecki and Jimmie Rivera weighed in at 146 and 143, respectively.

In response to the attendance, they are again expecting a good crowd, especially considering the hype they manufactured for the Choi/Mishima fight.

Here were the highlights from the fighter's press conference:

Yuji Hoshino:

"It's a great honor to main event tomorrow night's event. I have given so much to this sport my whole career and with this opportunity, it has surely paid off. I don't have much longer or much more to give, so i'm going to give it my all for my last stretch of fights."

"I know of the Assuncao's and they're a talented bunch. I almost feel bad for having to beat up their little brother *laughs* but this is my job. I'm going to welcome him the best way I possibly could, with an incredible fight fought by myself."

Freddy Assuncao:

"It feels good to have the spotlight on me. To not only be on this card but to main event it, it's a great feeling. I will go out there and pave my own road. When you hear Assuncao, I want the first thoughts to be me and victory."

"Yuji is a great opponent. He will truly test my skill and I will feel what needs to be worked on and done. It is time for me to take the next step and I have been training hard for this moment. I truly believe I will beat my opponent tomorrow night."

Doo Ho Choi:

"Ever since I was in Korea, I have been fighting this whole time to reach this moment. Now that I have accomplished that, I only have one last thing to accomplish and that is become a world champion. Once I enter the ring tomorrow night, nothing will stop me."

"Mishima is a legend, no doubt about it. It's unfortunate that tomorrow night will be the last time he will ever be in the ring. It's also unfortunate that he stands in front of me. I hope we put on a good show for the fans but one thing is for sure, I will have my arm raised in victory."

Dokonjonosuke Mishima:

"This is almost a bittersweet moment for me. I hate that I have to leave the sport I love so dearly, but I just can't handle the rigors of it physically. Mentally, i'll always be there but the sport has unfortunately passed me by and I must step away."

"Choi is an incredible fighter. I couldn't think of a better opponent to go out against tomorrow night. It might not be for a title or anything but to me, this is bigger than any championship fight to me. While I would like to fight the whole way, I feel like I can put everything into this one last fight. Victory will be mine."

Lion Takeshi:

"I felt ashamed of my performance against Takaya, so that's why everyone hasn't heard much from me lately. I needed to focus and I feel like I have found that focus recently. I'm not the best in the world anymore but I will return to that spot."

"Horodecki, I wish the best of luck to him, he will need it. He has something to prove, but so do I. Much more to prove. He has plenty of time to reach his goals, so I will not step aside for him."

Chris Horodecki:

"I've never fought in Japan, so this is a pretty cool opportunity for me. I just want to fight the best and make new fans while i'm at it."

"Lion is going to be a tough fight for me. Like he said, we both have a lot to prove in our own right. He lacks that fire that I have though. That's why you'll see me in the quarterfinals."

Masanori Kanehara:

"As of late, i've really started working hard to round out my whole game so I can hang with the best. I didn't feel like the best I possibly could be, so I started finding fights in the west and I have really improved myself. I will be a different beast then what most people have been used to seeing out of me."

""I'm very familiar with Wicky. I guess you could consider myself a fan of his *laughs*. He's got a wild style but nothing I can't handle. I've fought power punchers and technical punchers, he's nothing to worry about if that's all he'll bring. I will beat him with class."

Wicky Akiyo:

"I've been working a lot on my grappling as I feel that's my only weak link. I've really learned quite a bit and i'm ready to break out my new skills soon. I don't feel like I'll have to use it all too much tomorrow night, but if the opportunity arises, i'll utilize it to full effect."

"I know that Kanehara and I will have a great fight. It's going to be a beautiful brawl. I will overwhelm him enough where he won't even know what hit him. I'm out there to show i've truly improved."

Won Sik Park:

"I feel very eager to return, so i'm looking very forward to tomorrow night. I just hope I perform well and won't be too hampered with my layoff. I'm already there mentally, I just hope I can follow through physically."

"I feel comfortable with my opponent. We both have much to prove for completely different reasons. For that, I think we'll have a tremendous fight, but he'll have to go back to the drawing board tomorrow night. I'll be the one moving on."

Isaac DeJesus:

"I haven't been having the best of luck lately and i'm desperate to get back in the ring and get a win. I feel more motivated than ever and i've done nothing but train non-stop. If that's not enough to get the job done, I don't know what to tell you, I have no excuses to make. It's time for me to bring the fight and bring home a win."

"Regardless of his layoff, I don't think my opponent will be an easy task. I'm ready for anything, though. I'll give him a taste of what we have to offer from America."

Renato Carneiro:

"I've fought the best I could get my hands on in Brazil and I couldn't have done any better. I'm ready for what the rest of the world brings. I will not back down for anyone and i'm ready for any challenges that await me."

"From what i've seen of him, Taiki is a very impressive fighter. He's going to struggle with me though. You might fight pretty and are technically sound on the feet but it won't matter once I get you to the ground. I guarantee that's where we'll be before it even hits round two."

Taiki Tsuchiya:

"I didn't think I would return any time soon, but the time felt right. I'm ready to right my path and return to glory. I want to make a statement tomorrow night and i'm going to show people how much this sport has been missing someone like me."

"Renato Carneiro thinks he's going to get me to the ground but that's easier said than done. He can't handle my hands or my kicks. He's never had to deal with a fighter like me and it's going to show when I move on to the next round."

L.C. Davis:

"I'd rather not say too much but expect business to be done tomorrow night. Expect me to go all the way. No one is going to expect what they see from me now on."

Tyler Toner:

"I've had luck here before and i'm looking forward to continue that. Everyone is expecting to me to struggle with L.C.'s wrestling but I can promise you that he won't walk through me tomorrow night. I'm going to keep it upright and i'm going to knock him out."

Devidas Taurosevicius:

"I've been in the WEC and had some success but not enough to get to the UFC. Since then, i've become champion for Ring of Combat and I want to continue my successes here and show them what they missed out on. I might not be the youngest guy here but no one will doubt my determination and will to win."

"Rivera has a lot of potential but he's going to make a mistake moving up in weight. He wants a challenge and that's definitely what he's going to get. I'm more than willing to give him a learning experience that he won't forget anytime soon."

Jimmie Rivera:

"I was offered a spot in the Bantamweight Grand Prix but I felt this Grand Prix had the better fighters. No disrespect to those at 135, but I feel like I needed a challenge to allow myself to fully grow as a fighter. I felt good my last time at 145 and i'm looking forward to seeing what I can do against one of the best. I do worry about the two ten minute rounds but i'm hoping to finish it quickly."

"I'm going to surprise Devidas. I might be small and I might be severely undersized but he won't be able to keep up with me. I'm going to frustrate him and capitalize on that."

@ Yoyogi National Gymnasium (10,135)

http://cnbla.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/yoyogi.jpg

An earlier look at the Yoyogi National Gymnasium as PURE went through their pre-fight preparations but now WE ARE LIVE for the beginning of PURE's Featherweight Grand Prix and boy, do we have some great fights for you tonight.

You'll see the likes of Yuji Hoshino, Lion Takeshi, Masanori Kanehara, Chris Horodecki, Wicky Akiyo, L.C. Davis, and Devidas Taurosevicius. ALL EYES are on the incredible bout between Doo Ho Choi and Dokonjonosuke Mishima, a true passing of the guard fight. But will the guard be passed?

We are now underway for the OPENING CEREMONIES!

http://www.tokyohive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/shinee03.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the Yoyogi National Gymnasium for PURE Fighting Championships VI: Featherweight Grand Prix Opening Round!

Tonight, sixteen warriors from around the world, young and grizzled, are here for one thing only. That is to move on and claim their stake for championship gold! Names will be made and legends will seek to rekindle their flame. Who will reign supreme!?

Introducing first. From the United States, JIMMMMIIIIEEEEE RRRRIIIIIVERRRRAAAA

http://www2.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20110207030923_IMG_6327.JPG

His opponent. Fighting from Lithuania, DEEVVIIIIIIDAAASSS TAUUROOOOSEEEEVIIIIIICIIIUUUUSSSSS

http://www.rcvairas.lt/v2/e107_images/newspost_images/taurosevicius.jpg

Second bout. From the United States, TYYYYYLERRRRR TOOOOOONEERRRRRR

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Tyler_Toner/tyler_toner_head.png

Also, from the United States, L.C. DAAAAAAVISSSSSSS

http://datav3.fightnetwork.com/blog/707_505.jpg

Third bout. From Brazil, RENNNNNNAAAATOOOOO CAARRRRRNEEEEIIIIROOOOOO

http://i1.r7.com/data/files/2C95/948F/37E1/70B8/0137/E295/D717/2624/renato%20moicano%20face.jpg

From JAPAN, TAAIIIIIIKKIIIII TSUUUUCHIIIIIIYAAAAAA

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/653705/20101125065816_101119_213142untitled.jpg

Fourth bout. From the United States, IIIIISAACCCCC DEEEJEEEESUUUUUSSS

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/b/b4/Jesus.jpg

From South Korea, WONNNN SIKKKK PAARRRRKKKKK

http://nightmareofbattle.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/parky.jpg

Fifth bout. From JAPAN, WICKKKYYYY AKIIIIIYOOOOOOO

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/9/97/AWicky.jpg

Also, from JAPAN, MASAAAANORRIIIIII KAAANNEEEEEHAAAARRRAAAAAA

http://www.dreamofficial.com/free/fighters/img/big/1262091326.jpg

Sixth bout. From Canada, CHRRRIISSSSS HORRROOOODEECKIIIIII

http://www.mmaresolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/chris-horodecki.jpg

From JAPAN, LIIIIIOONNNNN TAAAAKESSSSHHHHIIIIII

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Lion-Inoue.jpg

Seventh bout. From South Korea, DOOOOO HOOOOO CHOOIIIIIIIII

http://media.jobbi.com/media/saved/077/446/927/786/77446927786_20120228052408.jpg

From JAPAN, DOOOKOONNJOOOONNOSUKEEEEEE MIIIIISHIIIIIIMMAAAAA

http://www.thefightgame.tv/pride_bushido_7/dokonjonosuke_mishima_01.jpg

MAIN EVENT. From Brazil, FREDDDDYYYYYY ASSSUUUUNNNNNCAOOOOOO

profile.jpg

From JAPAN, YUUUUJIIIIII HOOOOOSHIIIIIINOOOOOOO

http://nightmareofbattle.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/hoshino.jpg

Opening Match: Jimmie Rivera x Devidas Taurosevicius

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Rivera slips out of the way of a leg kick, having been suckered in with a feint.

>Taurosevicius counters a leg kick by grabbing it and attempting a takedown, getting it! Rivera manages to pull guard.

>Taurosevicius starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>Rivera comfortably blocks the attempt and keeps Taurosevicius in guard.

>Rivera tries to smother Taurosevicius by holding him, but can't keep control.

>Taurosevicius is trying to pass guard.

>Rivera comfortably blocks the attempt and keeps Taurosevicius in guard.

>Rivera tries a sweep from the bottom of the guard, but doesn't budge Taurosevicius.

>Taurosevicius begins trying to pass the guard.

>Rivera is ready for the attempt though, and keeps Taurosevicius firmly in guard.

>Rivera tries to smother Taurosevicius by holding him, but can't keep control.

>Taurosevicius throws a few right hands, but is mainly trying to catch his breath.

>Taurosevicius doesn't allow Rivera to lock him up with double underhooks.

>The referee decides that there is a lack of progress being made and stands them back up.

>Taurosevicius uses a flurry of lefts and rights to get Rivera to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.

>Rivera tries to avoid the takedown.

>Taurosevicius doesn't get the takedown, Rivera avoided it.

>Rivera is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Rivera moves into the pocket.

>Taurosevicius uses head movement to cause a left jab to sail harmlessly by.

>From the pocket, Taurosevicius shoots in for a double leg.

>The takedown is completed, it was a single leg and Rivera is left on his back pulling guard.

>Taurosevicius starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>Rivera keeps his guard secure.

>Rivera bursts into life and tries to scramble into a better position.

>He may regret that choice, as it gives Taurosevicius the perfect opportunity to come over the top and get side control.

>Taurosevicius looks to roll Rivera slightly and slip behind.

>Rivera tries to escape but only succeeds in giving up his back!

>Rivera is in increasing trouble, as Taurosevicius gets both hooks in.

>Taurosevicius, with both hooks fully in, tries to get the rear naked choke applied.

>The rear naked choke is in deep, Rivera has to tap out!

>The winner, by submission, is Deividas Taurosevicius!

>Official Result: Deividas Taurosevicius defeats Jimmie Rivera (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 7:37 of round 1). The match was rated as being Average.

Second Match: Tyler Toner x L.C. Davis

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Davis avoids a kick to the leg and hits a clean jab.

>Toner steps back to avoid a kick to the body, having been suckered in with a feint.

>An attempted inside leg kick misses, giving Davis the opportunity to counter with a left jab to the cheek.

>Toner slips out of the way of a leg kick, having been suckered in with a feint.

>A tight combination narrowly misses Davis and allow him to counter-strike with a crisp left hand punch.

>Davis glances a strike off the side of the shoulder.

>Toner presses in closer to attack.

>Toner counters a left jab by hitting a series of big punches, putting Davis down on the ground!

>Toner doesn't have time to capitalise though, as Davis recovers his wits quickly.

>Leaping high, Toner looks to drop a diving punch on Davis!

>Davis avoids the punch and pulls guard.

>Toner throws a few right hands to the body.

>Toner keeps Davis guessing with a few quick strikes.

>Davis pulls Toner in close and hits a series of short, sharp punches to the side of the head.

>Toner throws a few right hands to the body.

>Davis drags Toner in to close control, then hits him with a couple of short punches.

>Toner attempts to pass guard and gain a better position.

>Toner feels Davis prepare to scramble for position and makes sure it doesn't happen.

>Toner keeps Davis guessing with a few quick strikes.

>In guard, Toner throws a couple of punches designed to keep Davis guessing.

>Davis attempts a triangle choke on Toner from the bottom of the guard.

>Toner defends well against it.

>The lengthy period of stalemate results in the referee standing them both back up.

>A straight left fails to land and Davis is able to fire back with a jab.

>Davis avoids a leg kick and scores with a solid left.

>Davis throws three punches in quick succession, but Toner was out of range.

>Not letting Davis settle at all, Toner comes in closer.

>Toner slips past a left jab and counters with a body kick.

>Toner gets Davis with a punch to the ribs, but it lacked power.

>Davis quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.

>A jab misses and Davis counters with a crisp left hand punch.

>The time is up, and that's the end of round one.

Round 2:

>Between rounds, his corner told Toner to try and use counter striking in this round.

>Toner gets suckered in by a feint, and is lucky to avoid the combination that follows.

>Davis counters a one-two combination with a straight left.

>Davis counters a left jab by using a stinging left jab.

>Davis darts in, feints a jab, darts back out.

>Davis bobs and weaves.

>Not letting Davis settle, Toner moves in closer.

>Davis avoids a leg kick and scores with a nice jab.

>Toner darts in, feints a jab, darts back out.

>Moving forward, Toner counters a series of wayward big punches with a swift right kick to the leg.

>Davis circles, looking for an opening.

>Toner seems to be waiting for Davis to make a move.

>Davis circles, looking for an opening.

>Toner comes in closer to press the issue.

>Toner looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Toner is in the pocket, ready to attack Davis.

>Davis uses head movement to dodge a jab, and counters with a nice jab.

>Using good head movement, Davis ducks under a punch and scores with a barrage of big rights!

>Backing off, Toner looks very wobbly, I think he may be hurt!

>A series of big punches land and knock Toner down!

>Toner shakes off the blow almost immediately though, and waits for Davis to make a move.

>On his back, Toner takes a vicious axe kick to the chest!

>Toner is hit with a sharp kick to the calf.

>Davis tries to secure a ground position.

>Toner tries to get free, but Davis is able to secure side control.

>Davis throws a few right hands as he takes a moment to plan ahead.

>Toner takes a knee strike to the ribs from under side control.

>Davis uses side control to hit a knee just above the hip.

>Davis is trying to move from side control to mount.

>Toner doesn't let Davis get the mount, and so he remains at side control.

>Davis blocks Toner as he tries a sweep from side control.

>Davis throws a few right hands, but is mainly trying to catch his breath.

>Davis uses side control to hit a knee just above the hip.

>LC Davis is looking really tired.

>Davis steps in but an exchange of strikes goes nowhere.

>Time slips away as Toner doesn't press Davis, allowing him to circle.

>Tyler Toner is breathing very hard.

>Slowed down by physical tiredness, Davis still looks to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Davis is now standing in the pocket.

>We reach the time limit and this fight is over.

>The official decisions are being reported now.

>All three judges have given Davis the win.

>So the winner, by unanimous decision, is LC Davis!

>Official Result: LC Davis defeats Tyler 'Thunder' Toner (Unanimous Decision in 10:00 of round 2). The match was rated as being Average.

Match Three: Renato Carneiro x Taiki Tsuchiya

Round 1:

>An exchange of strikes goes nowhere.

>Moicano slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>A jab misses, allowing Tsuchiya to counter-strike with a series of quick lefts.

>Moicano steps back to avoid a kick to the body.

>Tsuchiya looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Moicano.

>Tsuchiya is in the pocket, ready to attack Moicano.

>Moicano covers up to absorb a flurry of punches.

>Checking a leg kick, Moicano counters back immediately with a series of hard rights!

>Tsuchiya looks unsteady on his feet as he retreats, that last blow may have rocked him!

>Moicano throws a vicious right uppercut to try and finish Tsuchiya, but he is just able to avoid it.

>Moicano shoots in for a takedown.

>A counter left catches Moicano above the eye.

>Moicano counters a right kick to the body by hitting a stinging left jab.

>Moicano throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Tsuchiya is too quick, and manages to hit Moicano with a good clean left jab.

>Tsuchiya looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Moicano.

>Tsuchiya cannot get close enough to the elusive Moicano.

>Moicano sees a right body kick coming, grabs it, shoots in for a takedown, getting it! Tsuchiya manages to pull guard.

>Moicano begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.

>Moicano passes to side control with ease.

>In side control, Moicano begins working to get a mount.

>Moicano shifts to mount.

>We go past the halfway point of this round.

>Moicano unloads with some big elbows, but Tsuchiya deals with them comfortably.

>Tsuchiya tries to roll Moicano, but only succeeds in giving up his back!

>Moicano attempts to set up a rear naked choke on Tsuchiya.

>Tsuchiya rolls them so that they are staring at the lights, then sharply turns over to wind up in guard.

>Moicano should have gotten hooks in before attempting that submission.

>Looking to catch his breath, Tsuchiya is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Tsuchiya throws a few right hands to the body.

>Tsuchiya throws some small strikes, but is clearly just taking a moment to try and catch his breath.

>Tsuchiya keeps Moicano guessing with a few quick strikes.

>In guard, Tsuchiya catches his breath, content just to throw a couple of punches to the body.

>A couple of quick punches are used to set up a takedown attempt from Moicano.

>Tsuchiya tries to avoid Moicano.

>The takedown is unsuccessful, Tsuchiya avoided Moicano.

>Moicano waits for a flurry of punches to stop, then hits a crisp left hand punch.

>Tsuchiya comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.

>Moicano keeps himself moving out of range.

>Round one is brought to an end as time runs out

Round 2:

>There's the bell for the start of the round!

>Moicano isn't drawn in by Tsuchiya feinting to his left.

>Tsuchiya throws a barrage of big right hands after using a feint to trick Moicano into committing to a strike, but he moves out of range just in time.

>Moicano slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>There's a takedown attempt from Moicano.

>A counter right cross is too slow to catch Moicano.

>Moicano gets a big takedown and he ends up in half guard.

>In half guard, Moicano begins working to get side control.

>He does excellently, getting into side control.

>Moicano begins trying to get himself into mount.

>He easily gets the mount.

>Moicano tries to pound on Tsuchiya with elbows, but all the blows are comfortably dealt with.

>Tsuchiya tries to get enough space to pull half guard, but Moicano doesn't allow it.

>Moicano pounds away with elbows, but doesn't do much damage, if any, Tsuchiya covers up well.

>Renato Carneiro doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>Tsuchiya tries to get enough space to pull half guard, but Moicano doesn't allow it.

>Taiki Tsuchiya looks very tired out there.

>Moicano tries to pound on Tsuchiya, but all the blows are comfortably dealt with.

>Tsuchiya tries to move Moicano enough to get half guard, but can't get enough space.

>Moicano tries to ensnare Tsuchiya in an americana.

>Tsuchiya doesn't allow the americana to be applied.

>Tsuchiya tries to turn over and sweep Moicano, but rolls too far and gives up his back!

>Moicano increases his control by getting both hooks in.

>With both hooks in, Moicano tries to flatten Tsuchiya out for the rear naked choke.

>The rear naked choke is fully applied, Moicano has Tsuchiya flattened out completely, there is no option but to tap out!

>The winner, by submission; Renato Carneiro!

>Official Result: Renato 'Moicano' Carneiro defeats Taiki Tsuchiya (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 5:42 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Four: Isaac DeJesus x Won Sik Park

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Advancing, Park counters a left jab by using a left.

>Park tries for a left jab but DeJesus moves out of range.

>DeJesus chooses to shoot in on Park.

>A good sprawl stops the takedown, and DeJesus is brought down to the mat in a loose front facelock.

>DeJesus gets up sharply, seeing that Park was preparing to kick him in the ribs.

>DeJesus covers up to absorb a tidy combination of punches and then hits a right body kick.

>DeJesus chooses to shoot in on Park.

>Park tries to step away from the takedown.

>Park avoids the takedown attempt.

>Park comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.

>DeJesus tries to single leg Park as he steps in, but he is too quick to step away.

>DeJesus throws a speculative right, but it is nowhere near hitting.

>Not letting DeJesus settle, Park moves in closer.

>There is an exchange of strikes, but neither fighter does any damage.

>There's a takedown attempt from DeJesus.

>Park sprawls well, and DeJesus is forced down to his knees, almost turtled up.

>Park hits a knee to the side of the head.

>DeJesus gets up sharply, seeing that Park was preparing to kick him in the ribs.

>Park is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Standing his ground, DeJesus looks happy to engage Park in the pocket.

>From the pocket, DeJesus shoots in for a double leg.

>A good sprawl stops the takedown, and DeJesus is brought down to the mat in a loose front facelock.

>Park rolls DeJesus out of turtle position and into side control.

>In side control, Park begins working to get a mount.

>Park isn't able to mount DeJesus this time around.

>Park blocks an attempt to pull guard.

>Park begins trying to get himself into mount.

>He finds himself unable to get the mount on this attempt.

>DeJesus tries to transition to a guard, but can't manage it.

>DeJesus takes a knee strike to the ribs from under side control.

>Park relinquishes side control and stands up, letting DeJesus stand too.

>Advancing, Park counters a left jab by using a crunching right hook to the body.

>A weak right kick is countered by Park with a crisp left hand punch.

>DeJesus swings wildly to get Park to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.

>DeJesus is stopped by a good sprawl, and is pulled down to the ground in a loose front facelock until he is on his knees.

Round 2:

>Between rounds, his corner told DeJesus to take it to the ground as early as possible in this round.

>DeJesus counters a tight combination by hitting a solid left.

>A leg kick misses badly, giving Park an opening to score with a pair of jabs and a big right hook.

>DeJesus comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>DeJesus can't get past the sprawl of Park, and finds himself pushed face-down to the ground.

>Park hits a short knee strike to the head.

>Park prepares to throw a knee strike, but can't keep control of DeJesus who is able to spring back up.

>Moving in closer, Park looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>Park is now standing in the pocket.

>Using head movement, DeJesus slips past a left jab and counters with a hard leg kick.

>Slipping past a flurry of punches, DeJesus has the angle to counter with a right body kick.

>DeJesus slips past a jab and scores with a punch.

>Park sees an inside leg kick coming and hits first with a barrage of big right hands!

>DeJesus gets knocked down and Park keeps up the pressure with punch after punch!

>The referee is forced to jump in and stop the match!

>By TKO, the winner is Won Sik Park!

>Official Result: Won 'Parky' Sik Park defeats Isaac DeJesus (TKO (Strikes) in 3:21 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Five: Wicky Akiyo x Masanori Kanehara

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Nishiura feints rushing in, but Kanehara doesn't fall for it.

>A straight left fails to land and Nishiura is able to fire back with two hard left hands!

>Retreating, Kanehara looks punch-drunk...he may be in big trouble!

>Nishiura fires off a barrage of big left hands, knocking Kanehara down!

>Nishiura starts pounding away on Kanehara, looking to finish him off!

>Nishiura unloads with massive punches, Kanehara is getting destroyed!

>The referee has no option but to leap in and stop the fight!

>The winner, by TKO; Akiyo Nishiura!

>Official Result: Akiyo 'Wicky Akiyo' Nishiura defeats Masanori Kanehara (TKO (Strikes) in 1:18 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

Match Six: Chris Horodecki x Lion Takeshi

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Inoue counters an attempted spinning back kick by scoring with a clean jab.

>Inoue steps back to avoid a wild spinning back fist.

>Horodecki drops a shoulder, trying to sucker Inoue in with a feint.

>Horodecki fakes a lunge.

>Inoue doesn't let Horodecki settle, stepping in closer to impose himself.

>Inoue uses a nice combination as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Horodecki stuffs the takedown, so Inoue has to settle for pushing him up against the ropes.

>Inoue hits Horodecki, who is pressed up against the ropes, with a nice short uppercut.

>Inoue pins Horodecki up against the ropes and hits a couple of nice right hands to the side of the head.

>With the ropes trapping Horodecki, Inoue looks to be attempting to set up a judo throw.

>An outside leg trip sweeps Horodecki down to the ground, where he is left on his back pulling guard!

>Inoue attempts to pass guard and gain a better position.

>He passes the guard well, gaining side control.

>Inoue hits a vicious knee strike to the ribs!

>Inoue throws a few right hands, but is mainly trying to catch his breath.

>Horodecki tries to sweep Inoue but can't.

>Inoue begins trying to get himself into mount.

>Horodecki can't fend off his opponent and is mounted.

>Inoue unloads with big punches from the mount, and Horodecki is struggling to cope!

>The referee leaps in and stops the fight!

>That's a controversial call, Horodecki seemed to be still defending himself intelligently!

>The winner, by TKO, is Takeshi 'Lion Takeshi' Inoue!

>Official Result: Takeshi 'Lion Takeshi' Inoue defeats Chris 'The Polish Hammer' Horodecki (TKO (Strikes) in 5:12 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Match Seven: Doo Ho Choi x Dokonjonosuke Mishima

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Choi throws a left jab but Mishima avoids it.

>Mishima feints rushing in, but Choi doesn't fall for it.

>Mishima slips out of the way of a jab.

>Mishima steps back to avoid a leg kick.

>A jab doesn't find its intended target, allowing Mishima to fire back with a nice left hand.

>Choi feints throwing a jab.

>Mishima catches a right leg kick and goes for a judo-style trip and gets it, into half guard.

>Mishima attempts to pass half guard.

>Choi doesn't let Mishima get his leg free, and so half guard remains in place.

>Choi tries to sweep Mishima but can't do it.

>Mishima unloads with some big right hands, but Choi deals with them comfortably.

>Mishima blocks Choi as he tries a sweep from half guard.

>Mishima tries to pound on Choi with elbows, but all the blows are comfortably dealt with.

>Choi tries a sweep from the bottom of half guard, but doesn't budge Mishima.

>Mishima tries to pass the half guard.

>Mishima isn't able to pass from half guard thanks to the tenacious defence of Choi.

>Mishima blocks Choi as he tries a sweep from half guard.

>Mishima starts trying to work to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>Choi can't keep his opponent in half guard, and Mishima gains side control.

>Mishima attempts the mount.

>Choi keeps Mishima at side control, not letting the mount happen.

>Mishima blocks an attempted sweep.

>Mishima starts trying to work to use side control as a way to get behind Choi.

>Choi rolls to the side to try and escape, but gives up his back!

>Mishima tries to ensnare Choi in an armbar.

>Choi pulls free, meaning Mishima loses a great position and is now held down in side control.

>Choi throws a few strikes, but is clearly slowing things down so that he can catch his breath.

>Mishima attempts to secure an arm.

>Choi blocks it.

Round 2:

>Round two begins!

>Mishima steps back to avoid a kick to the body.

>Mishima keeps his cool as Choi throws a feint to the left.

>Mishima slips out of the way of a combination of short sharp punches.

>Choi looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Mishima.

>Mishima drops down and catches the advancing Choi by surprise with a single leg takedown.

>Mishima begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.

>He can't get free of the guard.

>Choi uses his legs to push Mishima away, into a standing position.

>On his back, Choi watches as Mishima comes in looking to get a dominant ground position.

>Choi tries to get free, but Mishima is able to secure side control.

>Mishima attempts to roll Choi slightly and take his back.

>He shows excellent control to move Choi over and take his back.

>Mishima gets both hooks in, and is now in a really dominant position.

>Mishima, with both hooks in, attempts to get a rear naked choke fully applied.

>Mishima flattens Choi out with the rear naked choke in deep and forces the tap!

>The winner, by submission, is Dokonjonosuke Mishima!

>Official Result: Dokonjonosuke Mishima defeats 'The Korean Super Boy' Doo Ho Choi (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 3:27 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.

Mishima takes the the middle of the ring with the mic and thanks everyone for supporting him and his career. On the verge of tears, he bows to each side of the arena as the crowd gives him a standing ovation until he reaches backstage.

Main Event: Freddy Assuncao x Yuji Hoshino

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Assuncao throws a leg kick but Hoshino avoids it.

>Hoshino sees a right body kick coming, grabs it, shoots in for a takedown, getting it! Hoshino is in half guard.

>Hoshino looks to pass half guard and get side control.

>Hoshino struggles but cannot find a way past and remains stuck in half guard.

>Assuncao tries to sweep Hoshino but can't do it.

>Hoshino tries to ensnare Assuncao in an arm triangle.

>Assuncao defends it well.

>Assuncao tries a sweep from the bottom of half guard, but doesn't budge Hoshino.

>Hoshino attempts to pass half guard and gain a better position.

>Hoshino isn't able to pass from half guard thanks to the tenacious defence of Assuncao.

>Assuncao tries a sweep from the bottom of half guard, but doesn't budge Hoshino.

>Hoshino starts trying to work to get out of half guard and into a better position.

>Assuncao keeps his half guard secure.

>Assuncao tries to sweep Hoshino but can't do it.

>Hoshino looks to pass half guard and get side control.

>Hoshino struggles but cannot find a way past and remains stuck in half guard.

>Hoshino blocks Assuncao as he tries a sweep from half guard.

>The referee decides that there is a lack of progress being made and stands them back up.

>Assuncao looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Hoshino.

>A counter left catches Assuncao above the eye.

>Hoshino uses a smart combination to get Assuncao to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.

>Hoshino goes under an attempted counter right hand.

>Assuncao gets taken down by a single leg, and has to pull guard.

>Hoshino fires off a few punches as he catches his breath.

>Assuncao is controlled against the ground, unable to shift Hoshino off of him.

>Assuncao is controlled against the ground, unable to shift Hoshino off of him.

>Hoshino looks to get past the guard.

>He can't quite manage to get past guard on this attempt.

>Assuncao attempts a triangle choke on Hoshino from the bottom of the guard.

>Hoshino blocks the attempt.

>Hoshino starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>Assuncao is ready for the attempt though, and keeps Hoshino firmly in guard.

>Assuncao tries to catch Hoshino with a punch, but it is not on target.

>The end of the round is coming quick, there's under a minute left.

>Hoshino comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Assuncao tries to strike first with a solid right hook, but isn't quick enough.

>Hoshino has the takedown! It's a single leg, and Assuncao has to pull guard.

>Time expires and we come to the end of round one.

Round 2:

>There's the bell for the start of the round!

>Hoshino feints rushing in, but Assuncao doesn't fall for it.

>Hoshino avoids a jab.

>Hoshino avoids a quick jab and hits a nice jab.

>Moving in closer, Assuncao looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>He gets into range.

>A left jab misses, giving Assuncao the chance to hit back with a flying knee to the chest!

>Hoshino uses head movement to cause a left jab to sail harmlessly by.

>Hoshino uses head movement to cause a left jab to sail harmlessly by.

>A big right misses, giving Hoshino the chance to counter with a left hook to the body.

>A left jab misses, giving Hoshino the chance to hit back with a crisp left hook to the body.

>Slipping past a left jab, Assuncao hits a barrage of punches, eventually putting Hoshino down!

>Assuncao knows that this is a golden opportunity, and quickly pounces on Hoshino, looking to finish him off by raining down punches!

>Hoshino shows great instincts, pulling half guard to put a halt to the shower of punches.

>Assuncao tries to get out of half guard and stand up, but Hoshino doesn't allow it.

>Freddy Assuncao doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>Hoshino tries to lock onto an arm from the bottom of half guard.

>A straight armbar is applied, Assuncao has to tap out before his arm is hyper-extended!

>Yuji Hoshino takes the victory by way of submission!

>Official Result: Yuji Hoshino defeats Freddy Assuncao (Submission (Armbar) in 4:07 of round 2). The match was rated as being Decent.

Immediately after the card, Akira Maeda announced that if Dokonjonosuke Mishima wants to come back, he's more than welcome to stay in the Grand Prix. Afterwards, he announced that Matchmaker Sartin planned on using Doo Ho Choi and Chris Horodecki in a reserve bout at either the Flyweight Grand Prix Opening Round in August or the HW/CW GP Quarterfinals in September to determine who will take Mishima's spot.

FWGP Quarterfinals:

Yuji Hoshino x Devidas Taurosevicius

Mishima/Choi/Horodecki x L.C. Davis

Lion Takeshi x Renato Carneiro

Wicky Akiyo x Won Sik Park

Prediction Standings:

Jingo: 27-21

CageRage: 27-21

completesky: 25-15

Lion Takeshi to Miss Remainder of Featherweight Grand Prix to Injury

Another one bites the dust, as Lion Takeshi suffered a head injury in his bout with Chris Horodecki, and isn't expected to recover in time for his next bout.

Unfortunately, this seems to become a new reoccurring problem for PURE, as they have lost three fighters from their Grand Prix format in the past three months. PURE is said to have not been worried but disappointed that they can't promise fights that fans are looking forward to.

The current plan is to have a reserve bout along with the Choi x Horodecki fight and is rumored to involve Masanori Kanehara and Taiki Tsuchiya.

PURE Fighting Championships VII: Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round Card Finalized

PURE Fighting Championships VII: Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Ryogoku Kokugikan/ 2nd Week of July

Opening Match: Welterweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout:

Andrews Nakahara (4-3/Brazil)

x

Xavier Lucas (8-4/Australia)

Match Two:

Atsushi Yamamoto (16-7-3/Japan)

x

Honggang Yao (7-4/China)

Match Three:

Shunichi Shimizu (27-8-2/Japan)

x

Pedro Nobre (14-1-2/Brazil)

Match Four:

Hiromasa Ogikubo (10-2-2/Japan)

x

Yusaku Nakamura (5-3-1/Japan)

Match Five:

Koetsu Okazaki (8-2-1/Japan)

x

Takafumi Otsuka (14-11-1/Japan)

Match Six:

Shintaro Ishiwatari (14-4-4/Japan)

x

Seiya Kawahara (10-4/Japan)

Match Seven:

Kyoji Horiguchi (9-1/Japan)

x

Sidemar Honorio (8-3/Brazil)

Match Eight:

Masakatsu Ueda (16-2-2/Japan)

x

Motonobu Tezuka (19-5-4/Japan)

Main Event:

Rumina Sato (26-17-2/Japan)

x

Jens Pulver (27-17-1/USA)

Rin Nakai x Erin Toughill Announced for PURE Fighting Championships X:

PURE seems to have started setting their women's division into motion, booking their second bout in consecutive shows. Rising star Rin Nakai will face long-time WMMA veteran Erin Toughill, in what is being touted as he final match. The fight will take place at PURE Fighting Championships X: MW/WW GP Quarterfinals at Nagoya.

While not announcing much more after that, PURE has said they have big plans for their fledgling women's division and are aiming to make more signings along with the rest of their divisions this upcoming fall.

Sokoudjou x Bobby Lashley Booked for PURE Fighting Championships XI:

In other news, Sokoudjou has agreed to fight promotional newcomer, Bobby Lashley, in a heavyweight superfight at PURE Fighting Championships XI. Bobby Lashley recently signed a one fight deal for PURE out of interest in fighting in Japan.

PURE Fighting Championships XI: LW/FW GP Quarterfinals is scheduled to take place during the 4th week of November at Fukuoka.

@ Ryogoku Kokugikan/ 2nd Week of July

x

Match Two:

x

Honggang Yao (7-4/China)

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Match Eight:

x

Main Event:

x

x

Match Two:

x

Honggang Yao (7-4/China)

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Match Eight:

x

Main Event:

x

Oh no, I've missed a lot.

x

Match Two:

x

Honggang Yao (7-4/China)

Match Three:

x

Match Four:

x

Match Five:

x

Match Six:

x

Match Seven:

x

Match Eight:

x

Main Event:

x

<p><span style="font-family:Georgia;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="color:#800080;"><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">PURE Fighting Championships VII: Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round Preview</span></strong></span></span></span></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';">As each opening round passes, PURE is beginning to introduce many fighter that are fairly unfamiliar to people outside of Japan. Those fighters having great successes unheard of beyond hardcore fans. This weekend, not only is PURE utilizing many fighters that fit this descripition, they're also giving us a main event that has been a decade in the making.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';"> Rumina Sato and Jens Pulver have been around for a great amount of time, debuted around the relatively same time, dominated earlier iterations of the sport, and have struggled late in their careers, both amassing similarly mediocre records as of now. Strangely, they have never crossed paths. This weekend, that all changes. Both have a chance to end their careers on a high note, Pulver a former UFC Champion and Sato, unfortunately never tasting championship glory. The crowd is sure to eat this up.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';"> Also on the card, former champions Masakatsu Ueda, Takafumi Otsuka and Koetsu Okazaki. Current champions Hiromasa Ogikubo and Shintaro Ishiwatari. Also, one of the top prospects in all of the world, Kyoji Horiguchi, who could possibly meet his stablemate Atsushi Yamamoto later in the tournament.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Palatino Linotype';"> Here are our previews for the fights:</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Rumina Sato (26-17-2/Japan) x Jens Pulver (27-17-1/USA) </span></em><p> </p><p> Long-time Shootor, Rumina Sato has vowed to never retire until he has achieved championship status. This weekend, he has a great chance at building momentum to possibly reach that goal next year. An excellent grappler, he can still hang tough with many fighters in the tournament, yet his noticeably weak chin has held him back for many years now, culminating in many losses to inferior and unspectacular opposition.</p><p> </p><p> Jens Pulver is in the same boat as his opponent, which has lead to this fight gaining much hype in the weeks following this. Unlike Sato, Pulver has managed to accumulate a few good wins recently, including WEC vet Coty Wheeler. Pulver is still an exciting fighter and his boxing, while not great, is still serviceable. What is ultimately his downfall, is also his weak chin.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: Even many years too late, many people are looking forward to this fight. While nowhere near their once glorious primes, they're still equally similar which will still lead to a very entertaining fight. With Pulver having recent wins that prove he still has it in him for one possible last run, we'll go with Pulver over Sato by TKO.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Masakatsu Ueda (16-2-2/Japan) x Motonobu Tezuka (19-5-4/Japan)</span></em><p> </p><p> Just a few years ago, Masakatsu Ueda was arguably the best bantamweight in the world, only behind Dominick Cruz. With extrememly strong grappling and wrestling, he caused many fits for his superiors and dominated Shooto's 135 weightclass. Since then, he has suffered two massive upsets to Shuichiro Katsumura and Travis Marx in Shooto and Bellator, respectively. He has gained victories against top prospect Kyoji Horiguchi, Eduardo Dantas, and Royler Gracie at 155 but people are starting to question his consistency, especially as he grows older.</p><p> </p><p> Motonobu Tezuka quietly gained small notoriety in his homeland after winning DEEP's Future King Tournament in 2009 and following that by accumulating a very attractive record on paper, although his level of opposition was quite low. Although he has lost against the majority of his high level opponents (losses to Ishiwatari and Taiyo Nakahara), he does hold a win over Shunichi Shimizu and dominated his prior opponents with strong grappling. Tezuka comes into the grand prix looking to finally reach his full potential.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: With both fighters well versed in grappling, you have to go with the strongest grappler out of the two, which is Ueda by a landslide. We'll go with a decision victory for Ueda. </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Kyoji Horiguchi (9-1/Japan) x Sidemar Honorio (8-3/Brazil)</span></em><p> </p><p> A product of KID Yamamoto's Krazy Bee camp, Kyoji Horiguchi looks every bit of the part of KID's protege. Equally as vicious as his mentor, Horiguchi comes into every fight looking to put people's lights out, winning six of his fights by way of TKO. After winning the 2010 Shooto Rookie Tournament against the tough Seiji Akao, Horiguchi showed that he was for real with wins against Manabu Inoue, Yuta Nezu, Hadairo, and Ian Loveland. His lone blemish came against Shooto kingpin Masakatsu Ueda in a very hotly contested decision loss, where he performed respectively avoiding many submission attempts. While many believed that Horiguchi wasn't ready for a fight like that, he has performed just as well since then undeterred. His only weaknesses seem to be his grappling, that he's working ever so dilligently on, and questionable cardio, as he doesn't reach the end of the fight very often.</p><p> </p><p> Sidemar Honorio is a very respectable bantamweight with good grappling and passable striking. While not as outstanding as Horiguchi, he has shown himself to be a very tough fighter to finish, with the only one coming against top 135 American prospect Aljamain Sterling and pushing Sean Santella to the limit. Spending most of his career in America has also helped him round his whole game out, making for a tough fight for anyone that decides to take him likely.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: Honorio could certainly make some noise, but Horiguchi seems to have really found his mark as a mixed martial artist as of late. While it'll be interesting to see if Honorio's resiliency could possibly frustrate Horiguchi, we can't see this fight ending up any other way but a victory for Horiguchi.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Shintaro Ishiwatari (14-4-4/Japan) x Seiya Kawahara (10-4/Japan)</span></em><p> </p><p> Before Horiguchi entered the scene, Shintaro Ishiwatari was probably the most highly regarded prospect in Japan's lower weightclasses. While originally primarily a strong wrestler with strong ground and pound and a proficiency to brawl, Ishiwatari has really refined his striking to an almost technical state as of late, leading to recent victories of Caol Uno, Manabu Inoue, and Motonobu Tezuka. He is currently the Bantamweight King of Pancrase with his recent evolution of skills. Ishiwatari is also no stranger to the larger stage, competing in Sengoku's Featherweight Grand Prix and Bantamweight Grand Prix, losing to fan favorite Chan Sung Jung and eventual finalist Taiyo Nakahara, respectively. This will not be unfamiliar territory, as opposed to other competitors.</p><p> </p><p> Seiya Kawahara is equally familiar to the bright lights, as he was also eliminated in the first round of Sengoku's Featherweight Grand Prix. That's where all similarities come to an end. Kawahara is a vicious striker, with the ability to knock anyone out but his wide open style does seem to hamper him as he leaves himself very open to be finished, as seen in his last fight against Masato Sannai. Kawahara is a solid fighter but has yet to show anything more than being a gatekeeper currently, as he has defeats against higher tier fighters such as Manabu Inoue and the tough Nick Denis. Thankfully, at 25, he still has plenty of time to grow.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: Both fighters are at a crossroads. Ishiwatari looks to finally break through to the upper echelon of 135 and Kawahara also looks to do the same with this opportunity. Unfortunately for Kawahara, Ishiwatari has looked on top of his game for the past year as Kawahara has struggled since his small bout of inactivity. We'll go with Ishiwatari by TKO. </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Koetsu Okazaki (8-2-1/Japan) x Takafumi Otsuka (14-11-1/Japan)</span></em><p> </p><p> In a short amount of time, Koetsu Okazaki has established himself as a strong technical striker, utilizing combos and angles to perfection, which has gained him a Pacific Rim Championship and victories over the likes of Hiromasa Ogikubo, Atsushi Yamamoto, Shuichiro Katsumura, and Hadairo. While he certainly has the victories to back up his case for a high caliber bantamweight, what holds him back is his sufficient lack of grappling and his major injury problems, which has held him to only 11 fights in the span of nine years. This could easily be considered Okazaki's last chance at establishing himself as a top ten bantamweight.</p><p> </p><p> Many consider Takafumi Otsuka as the JMMA fighter with most potential to make a splash stateside, with his exceptional wrestling and top control. Unfortunately for him and everyone else, he is the very definition of inconsistent. Many detractors blame this on the fact that his style isn't very well suited for Japanese camps and he belongs at camps with stronger wrestlers at higher weightclasses to really challenge himself in his young career. While he does have many solid victories against Dokonjonosuke Mishima, Hiroshi Nakamura, Leandro Issa, Masanori Kanehara, Seiji Akao, SHOJI, and is also a two time DEEP champion, his willingness to fall right into the games of his opponents has really held him back from truly reaching his potential.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: While Okazaki certainly knows what consistency is, the styles clash between the two is just too much to pass up, considering Otsuka's strong wrestling and Okazaki's weak grappling. That's why we have Otsuka winning by decision.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Hiromasa Ogikubo (10-2-2/Japan) x Yusaku Nakamura (5-3-1/Japan)</span></em><p> </p><p> Currently the top bantamweight in Shooto, Hiromasa Ogikubo is well on the way to reaching his full potential by taking this spot in the grand prix. An active and excellent grappler, with a good mix of honest striking, Ogikubo has the blueprint for a very successful run in the tournament. All that remains is does he have the tools to put it together? His only two losses have come against Bellator Champ Eduardo Dantas and Koetsu Okazaki, a loss he has just recently avenged. Now at full momentum, Ogikubo is certainly someone to keep an eye on.</p><p> </p><p> Yusaku Nakamura first burst onto the scene in 2010 with his brutal knockout power and his unrelenting hands. He impressed so much that he was a late replacement in DREAM's Japan Bantamweight Grand Prix, where he nearly finished Atsushi Yamamoto before falling to strikes late in the round. Since then, he has been exposed as a relatively one-dimensional fighter, as he lacks grappling skills, even on a survival level, and has shown weak cardio as he fades from the ten minute mark and on. If he could ever even out his game, he could be an extremely dangerous fighter down the road.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: Ogikubo is just too good for Nakamura. While Nakamura could certainly catch Ogikubo, it's hard to see anything but a submission victory for Ogikubo.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Shunichi Shimizu (27-8-2/Japan) x Pedro Nobre (14-1-2/Brazil)</span></em><p> </p><p> Being a ZST product, you certainly know what to expect from Shunichi Shimizu, and that's grappling and submissions galore. Relatively unknown at the time, only somewhat noticeable because of his much more successful brother due to championships and visibility of Shooto, Kiyotaka Shimizu, Shunichi certainly caught the eye of everyone after his impressive victories over Manabu Inoue and Wataru Takahashi in Sengoku. Since then, he has victories over rival Keisuke Fujiwara and other brother Toshihiro Shimizu but showing a weakness to strong top control and solid striking, as seen in losses to Kohei Kuraoka and Motobobu Tezuka. Shunichi is definitely beatable, but he still has a skillset to cause problems.</p><p> </p><p> After fighting from anywhere at 145 to 125, Pedro Nobre returns to 135 for a chance at a championship. An extremely well-rounded fighter with the ability to finish the fight both on the ground and the feet, Nobre has serious potential to make a run to the final. The only thing holding him back is is seemingly inability to take an abundance of punches, which could ultimately cost him against the heavy hitters of the tournament.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: It seems as if Nobre's vastly superior striking will be the turning point of this fight, as Shimizu won't be able to answer back as effectively or at all. Our pick is Nobre by decision.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Atsushi Yamamoto (16-7-3/Japan) x Honggang Yao (7-4/China)</span></em><p> </p><p> Long-time Krazy Bee and KID Yamamoto teammate, Atsushi Yamamoto returns to action in what seems to be his last run at 135 before he makes a permanent drop to 125. While never on pace to be an elite bantamweight, he always had the potential to be a serious contender, as seen with victories against Takeya Mizugaki, the late Tomoya Miyashita, and Hideo Tokoro. What's really held him back has been his tendency to lose focus of his original gameplan and his recent injuries, keeping him inactive more times than not. If played right, Atsushi could definitely still be a contender at the end of this tournament.</p><p> </p><p> A former Legend FC champion, Honggang Yao takes his talents to Japan for the first time in his career. While not an entirely spectacular fighter, his extremely strong wrestling is enough to trouble anyone. Unfortunately, outside of that and his top control, he is severely lacking in other aspects of MMA which could ultimately hurt him in such an experienced field.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: Yamamoto could certainly struggle with Yao's wrestling, but essentially is a better, more athletic and versatile fighter. Yamamoto does enough to win a clear cut decision.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35278" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrews Nakahara (4-3/Brazil) x Xavier Lucas (8-4/Australia)</span></em><p> </p><p> The first of its kind since PURE's inception, this bout will determine a replacement for the injured Brian Foster in the Welterweight Grand Prix, as both fighters are coming off extremely entertaining bouts in which they lost. The winner gets an opportunity to knock off the top seed, K-Taro Nakamura.</p><p> </p><p> Andrews Nakahara took part in a rousing back and forth affair with Taisuke Okuno at PURE Fighting Championships IV, in which both fighters dropped one another until Okuno proved too tough to put away and came back strong in the second round and finished Nakahara off.</p><p> </p><p> Xavier Lucas was a part of an equally entertaining bout with Hernani Perpetuo on the same card, as Lucas proved dominant early in the fight by tagging Perpetuo often before the tide turned and Perpetuo implemented his superior grappling and wore Lucas down enough to take advantage later in the fight, eventually knocking Lucas out.</p><p> </p><p> Verdict: All signs point towards another great fight but Lucas' cardio is a bit worrisome. Couple that with the fact that Nakahara has far superior striking in terms of technicality, Lucas seems to be outgunned. We'll take Nakahara by TKO.</p></div></blockquote>

PURE Fighting Championships VII: Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round Official Weigh-In and Press Conference

Again, we are like from the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills for the official weigh-in and press conference for this weekend's Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round.

A lot of buzz has been surrounding this card for the main event and appearances from such fighters as Masakatsu Ueda, Kyoji Horiguchi, and Shintaro Ishiwatari. Because of this, the Ryogoku Kokugikan is expected to be packed to the brim.

PURE announced that they will not be utilizing an elaborate entrance stage for this event, due to the smaller scale of the venue. They also said that because of the old-school main event, they figured to have an old school floor layout, which will allow for at least a thousand more in attendance.

As for the weigh-in's, here were the results:

Rumina Sato (136) x Jens Pulver (134)

Masakatsu Ueda (135) x Motonobu Tezuka (135)

Kyoji Horiguchi (135) x Sidemar Honorio (135)

Shintaro Ishiwatari (135) x Seiya Kawahara (135)

Koetsu Okazaki (135) x Takafumi Otsuka (135)

Hiromasa Ogikubo (135) x Yusaku Nakahara (135)

Shunichi Shimizu (135) x Pedro Nobre (135)

Atsushi Yamamoto (135) x Honggang Yao (135)

Andrews Nakahara (135) x Xavier Lucas (135)

Soon after, the press conference followed. Here were the highlights:

Jens Pulver:

"I have been wanting this fight for a very long time. It already feels historically significant with both of our careers being taken into consideration. Add the fact that there are possible title implications just makes this an even greater fight. I can't wait."

"I respect Rumina so much. He is a living legend. I want to go out there and have a classic."

Rumina Sato:

"The fans are in for something special tomorrow night. I guarantee we'll be both fighting at 100% and it'll be an incredible experience for all of those that watch."

"Jens is a wonderful human being. It's a shame we couldn't have had this fight many years ago, but it's better late than never. I know he wants this championship just as much as I do, but this is my fate to be here and it's my destiny to come out on top."

Masakatsu Ueda:

"I've had my chances in One and Bellator but I feel really well about this chance at PURE. I want to prove once again why i'm one of the best, if not the best, at 135."

"I don't think Tezuka is a refined enough opponent for me. He definitely has the talent, but I don't believe he'll be able to put it all together. I hope he does, because i'd like an early challenge."

Motonobu Tezuka:

"I didn't have the greatest performance in my UFC experience but I look forward to return to Japan and prove myself on a larger scale here. I wouldn't have left in the first place if I didn't think I proved enough, so now i'm back to prove to myself."

"Ueda is not unbeatable. He's lost to lesser competition. I hope he's ready for the best possible opponent tomorrow night, because if he takes it lightly, he'll lose once again."

Kyoji Horiguchi:

"I'm ready to make my mark on the world. I'm ready to prove to the world that i'm the best and I won't stop until i'm the greatest in the world. I remember all that KID did for the scene years ago. I'm ready to do the same."

"I'm looking forward to fights that await me in the future, but that doesn't mean i'm looking past my opponent tomorrow night. I'm going to fight every fight the same and i'll be completely focused on everything that is put in front of me."

Sidemar Honorio:

"I'm really looking forward to fighting in Japan and i'm looking extra forward to putting a stop to Horiguchi. He's wild and reckless, which means i'm going to take full advantage of that and make him wish he'd have another chance at me. It's going to be a long night for him and his fans."

Shintaro Ishiwatari:

"I haven't had the best of luck with my grand prix experiences, so I hope that all changes tomorrow. I've felt good in my previous experiences but that isn't enough. I have to feel great, I have to be fighting great, and that's exactly how I feel."

"Seiya is an excellent fighter but he hasn't looked all too well as of late. It doesn't matter if he's hot or cold though, i'm going in the ring tomorrow night with the thought that he's unstoppable with the aim of stopping him."

Seiya Kawahara:

"I have to redeem myself. I know I should have many years ahead of me but that isn't guaranteed. That's why I have to make the most of every opportunity i'm give. My time hasn't passed and my time isn't down the road, my time will always be when I fight."

"Shintaro has looked incredible, lately. I know i'll have a handful come tomorrow night. I'm going to fight the best fight possible and i'm not going to come up short again on the big stage."

Koetsu Okazaki:

"Ever since losing my title to Ogikubo, i've been practically begging to return. Now the time has come and i'm going to wreck everyone in my way until I get a belt around my waist once again."

"Otsuka might have the wrestling advantage but I feel very comfortable with my gameplan, all I have to do is implement it. Once I achieve that, Otsuka will not have an answer for me whatsoever."

Takafumi Otsuka:

"I'm simply tired of coming up short. I have given people hope but i've never been able to keep it going. I've worked very hard and I felt great in my last fight. The time is now for me to really show everyone what i've really got."

"Okazaki has solid striking but he won't have the slightest chance to use it. I'm going to wear him down and destroy whatever confidence he might have. I will be on a completely different level tomorrow."

Hiromasa Ogikubo:

"I'm on top of my game right now and I feel like i'm well on the road to accomplishing much more. I'm looking forward to putting that and myself to the test tomorrow night. First, it was Shooto. Now, it's the rest of the world."

"Yusaku could easily put me to sleep, so i'm definitely wary about that. However, from what i've seen, he has little to nothing else that could possibly trouble me. I'm much more well-rounded and i'm going to show him how a true mixed martial artist performs."

Yusaku Nakamura:

"I've reached the point of my career where I can't just pass anyone by based on my hands and brawling. It's too one-dimensional and that won't fool anyone but myself. I've worked on refining my striking and slowly building my grappling up to par. Ogikubo has many more tools but I have the best one of all, which is finishing him. That's all I hope to do and I hope to do it with more than what i've previously shown."

Shunichi Shimizu:

"I'm glad to be back in this situation. I've had much success with my opportunity in Sengoku but I never got my chance to reap true dividends. This time is for real. I'm going to do what I do best and return to what I should've already had in the first place."

"Nobre is good but his will is weak. Will he be able to handle someone that won't just lay down for him? I'm going to put him through war and I hope he is prepared."

Pedro Nobre:

"This is a big opportunity for me. I'm ready for all comers. It's honestly a major honor to fight anyone in this tournament and I will do my best to fight through all of them."

"I like Shimizu's game. He's entertaining and he always puts on a show, win or lose. His grappling and excitement won't be enough against me, though. Whether it's fun for the fans or not, I will win and prove I am the better fighter."

Atsushi Yamamoto:

"I'm finally healthy and at full strength and it will show tomorrow night. I've had a lot of time to work on my weaker points and fine tune anything I deemed not good enough. What you'll see when I get in the ring is a brand new Atsushi Yamamoto."

"Honggang Yao has very strong wrestling but that seems to be all there is. I'm going to pressure him, outmove him, outbox him, and pound him out. He won't be getting out of the ring before taking a beating."

Honggang Yao:

"I'm looking forward to testing myself in Japan. I've done well in my homeland and I hope to transition seamlessly against some of the best in the world."

"I know I have a lot to work on and i'm not anywhere near a complete fighter...yet. My training regimen has been diligent and i'm built for all rigors of combat. I won't be taking a beating when i'm the one that will be handing them out."

Andrews Nakahara:

"I'm very glad to get another opportunity to be in the Welterweight Grand Prix. It's a shame I have to replace a very worthy fighter but I will make the most of his misfortune. I should have won the last fight I was in and i'm lucky to be here today. I will not let this opportunity slip through my hands."

"Xavier had been looking weak and I wouldn't have thought much about facing him. That is before his last fight. He looked every bit as dangerous as he was once billed as being. I'm ready for a good fight."

Xavier Lucas:

"I expected to be moving on but at the last card and not with an extra fight. Regardless, my goal will be the same but of course, the outcome will be different. I will be victorious and I will beat K-Taro afterwards."

"I like Nakahara, especially after his last fight. You put the two of us together and you're going to have an incredible fight. I'm not worried about his striking or grappling. I'm going in there with the utmost confidence and you will see why when I move on to the quarterfinals.

@ Ryogoku Kokugikan (11,804)

Hello everyone! We are live from the historic Ryogoku Kokugikan for tonight's PURE card, their seventh in a line of eight opening rounds for their grand prix, this time for the Bantamweights.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzvalqtxcd1qbo2gzo1_500.jpg

We are in store for an epic main event years in the making, as two of the biggest legends of the sport in the lower weight classes square off, as the Moon Wolf faces Lil' Evil. It's Rumina Sato versus Jens Pulver! This fight is guaranteed to be over quickly yet be highly entertaining as long as it lasts.

Also on the card is former Shooto champion Masakatsu Ueda, current King of Pancrase Shintaro Ishiwatari, DREAM veteran and two time DEEP champion Takafumi Otsuka, the OTHER Yamamoto, that is Atsushi Yamamoto, the ever exciting Shunichi Shimizu, and quite possibly the most exciting Japanese prospect in some time, Kyoji Horiguchi.

http://i49.tinypic.com/zkfq88.jpg

The crowd is abuzz, the seats are full, and it is NOW TIME FOR THE OPENING CEREMONIES! Here is KEI Grant and Max Powers with your introductions...

Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the Ryogoku Kokugikan for PURE Fighting Championships VII: Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round!

Tonight, all eyes are on the best bantamweights that Japan and the rest of the world have to offer. Will legends further add to their legacy or will the next big thing finally become the best in the world? Sixteen fighters. Only eight spots. Who will reign supreme?

Opening Bout. Welterweight Grand Prix Reserve Match. Introducing first, from Australia, XAAAAVIIIEEERRRRR LUUUUUUCAAAAAAAS

7f3f17c9601f7eba4dc708ac8cb028ea.jpeg

His opponent, from Brazil, ANNNNDRREEEEWWWWWWWS NAAAKAAAAHARRRRRAAAAAA

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/f/f4/ANaka.jpg

Second bout. Bantamweight Grand Prix Opening Round. From China, HONNNGGGAANNNNGGGG YAAAOOOOOOO

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/images/ezine/201207YaoHonggang.jpg

From JAPAN, ATTTTSUUUUUUSHHIIIIII YAAAMMAAAAAMOOOOOTOOOOO

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/4/45/AMoto.jpg

Third bout. From Brazil, PEEDDRROOOOOO NOOOOOBBRRREEEEEEEE

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Pedro_Nobre/PedroNobre_Headshot.png

From JAPAN, SHUUUUNIIIIICHIIIIIII SHIIIIIMIIIIIZUUUUUUU

http://www.tapology.com/system/letterbox_images/3052/default/Shunichi-Shimizu.jpg?1294436223

Fourth bout. From JAPAN, YUUUUUSAAAAKKKUUUU NAAAAKKAAAAMUURRRRAAAA

http://www1.cdn.sherdog.com/image_crop/200/300/_images/fighter/20110601061048_yusakunakamura.JPG

Also from JAPAN, HIIRRRROOOOOMAAAASAAAA OGGIIIIIKUUUUUBOOOOO

http://www.tapology.com/system/letterbox_images/14229/default/Hiromasa-Ogikubo.jpeg?1334781264

Fifth bout. From JAPAN, TAAAKAAAAFUUUUMIIII OOOOTTSUUUUUKAAAAA

http://www.dreamofficial.com/free/fighters/img/big/1233838383.jpg

Also from JAPAN, KOOOOEEEEETSSUUUUU OOOKKAAAAZAAAAAKIIIIIII

http://www.x-shooto.jp/schedule/detail/2010/100719/images/w08_02_l.jpg

Sixth bout. From Japan, SEEEIIIIIIYAAAAA KAAWWWWAAAAHAAARRRRAAAA

http://www.src-official.com/pc/fighters/K/seiya_kawahara/photo.jpg

Also from JAPAN, SHIIIINNNTAARRRROOOO IIIISHHIIIIIWAAATAARRRRIIIII

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/assets/images/fighters/Shintaro-Ishiwatari.jpg

Seventh bout. From Brazil, SIIIIDEEEMAARRRRR HOOONNNOORRRIIOOOO

http://brazenboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Sideco-300x286.jpg

From JAPAN, KYYYYOOOOOOJJIIIIIII HOORRRRIIIIIGUUUUUCHHHIIIIIIII

http://www.tapology.com/system/letterbox_images/19983/default/Kyoji-Horiguchi.jpeg?1338844060

Eighth bout. From JAPAN, MOOTOOOONOOOOBUUUU TEEEEZUUUUKKAAAAA

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Motonobu_Tezuka/MotonobuTezuka_Headshot.png

Also from JAPAN, MAAASAAAKAAATSSUUUUU UEEEEEDDDAAAAAAA

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/400/PD/PDFEQZVASQUPHPK.20120207031125.png

MAIN EVENT. From the United States, JENNNNNNSSSS PULLLLLLVEEERRRRRRR

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo/images/celeb-pulver/pulver_large/pulver_001.jpg

From JAPAN, RUUUUMIIIIIINNNAAAAAA SAAAAAAATTTTOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.inspirit.jp/USA_site/cgi/news/us/bin/bin090721185103007.jpg

Opening Match: Xavier Lucas x Andrews Nakahara

Round 1:

>We are underway!

>Lucas feints going high, but Nakahara doesn't buy it.

>Lucas darts in and out of range quickly, trying to get Nakahara to commit to throwing a strike.

>Nakahara moves in quickly after a wayward punch and hits a straight left.

>Lucas feints going high, but Nakahara doesn't buy it.

>A flicked jab from Nakahara only finds gloves.

>Not letting Nakahara settle, Lucas moves in closer.

>Lucas comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Nakahara.

>Lucas gets caught with a right though, and he is momentarily wobbly!

>Lucas steps back to avoid a one-two combination.

>Nakahara feints high before throwing a kick to the body, but Lucas avoids it.

>Lucas drops his shoulder as a feint, trying to draw a strike.

>Lucas fakes a lunge.

>Nakahara doesn't let Lucas settle, stepping in closer to impose himself.

>Nakahara tries for a leg kick but Lucas moves out of range.

>Nakahara throws a speculative right, but it is nowhere near hitting.

>Not letting Nakahara settle at all, Lucas comes in closer.

>Nakahara moves in quickly after a wayward punch and hits a big right kick to the outside of the thigh.

>Lucas slams a crisp right into the gloves of Nakahara, but can't follow up.

>Nakahara presses in closer to attack.

>Lucas gets suckered in by a feint, and is lucky to avoid the combination that follows.

>Nakahara throws a swift jab but doesn't do any damage.

>Lucas presses in closer to attack.

>Lucas feints rushing in, but Nakahara doesn't fall for it.

>A feint puts him off balance, but Lucas is still able to slip out of the way of a body kick.

>Nakahara avoids a quick jab and hits a sharp kick just above the hip.

>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes, but neither scores.

>Nakahara tries to wriggle free, but Lucas controls him well and gets in a few close-range punches too.

>Lucas uses dirty boxing and gets in a few crisp punches on Nakahara as they grapple.

>Nakahara tries to wriggle free, but Lucas controls him well and gets in a few close-range punches too.

>Lucas hits Nakahara with some short strikes to the side of the head while grappling.

>Lucas uses some dirty boxing as he grapples with Nakahara.

>Lucas hits Nakahara with some short strikes to the side of the head while grappling.

>Nakahara gets caught with a couple of nice short punches as Lucas uses his dirty boxing to inflict some punishment.

>Nakahara is trying to push Lucas so that his back is up against the ropes.

>Lucas doesn't let himself be driven back though, and gets out of the grapple.

>Nakahara misses with an attempted right hook to the body.

>Lucas steps in to put some pressure on.

Round 2:

>Lucas drops a shoulder, trying to sucker Nakahara in with a feint.

>Both fighters come in and exchange strikes, but neither does any damage.

>A leg kick gets checked by Lucas.

>A left jab misses, Nakahara counters with a right hook to the body.

>A left jab misses, giving Nakahara the chance to hit back with a crisp left.

>Lucas slips past a nice combination and hits a solid left jab.

>Lucas uses head movement to avoid a combination of short sharp punches, then fires back with a nice jab.

>Lucas lets a jab sail wide and counter-strikes with a jab.

>Good head movement allows Lucas to go under a vicious right hand and immediately counter with a solid punch.

>Lucas slips past a nice combination and hits a straight left.

>Using head movement, Lucas slips past a left jab and counters with a punch.

>Using head movement to slip past a left jab, Lucas hits a crisp left jab.

>Lucas dodges a jab, and fires back with a solid left jab.

>Lucas uses head movement to avoid a combination of punches, then counters with a crisp left jab.

>Nakahara dodges a jab, and fires back with a nice jab.

>Slipping past a one-two combination, Lucas has the angle to counter with a crisp left.

>They exchange strikes, but neither fighter inflicts any real damage.

>Using his wrestling skills, Lucas is trying to push Nakahara up against the ropes.

>Lucas does it, Nakahara is stuck with his back to the ropes.

>Andrews Nakahara doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>Nakahara is trapped against the ropes and Lucas punishes him with a solid elbow strike to the cheek.

>Lucas steps back from Nakahara and looks to unleash some strikes.

>A left jab misses, Nakahara counters with a jab.

>A low kick is checked by Lucas.

>Not comfortable in the pocket, Lucas steps back and creates some space.

>Lucas looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Lucas is now standing in the pocket.

>Slipping past a flurry of punches, Lucas has the angle to counter with a stinging jab.

>Using head movement, Lucas slips past a left jab and counters with a clean punch.

>A left jab misses, Nakahara counters with a punch.

>Nakahara throws a flurry of rights and lefts, but Lucas covers up well.

>A left jab misses, giving Nakahara the chance to hit back with a solid right hook to the body.

>Both throw strikes at each other, both easily defend the other's attempt.

>Lucas circles away, creating some distance between them.

>Lucas comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.

>Keen to keep space between them, Nakahara backs away.

>Despite being tired, Nakahara looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Lucas.

>He gets into range.

>A left jab misses, giving Nakahara the chance to hit back with a nice sequence of jabs.

>Nakahara dodges a jab, and fires back with a leg kick.

>Xavier Lucas won't want to take too many unchecked strikes to the legs like that.

>There's a short stalemate as both fighters advance and throw strikes, but neither hits.

>Xavier Lucas doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

>Having ended up close together from the strikes they threw, a wild exchange of punches begins!

>Nakahara eats a right cross during the exchange.

>Time runs out and that's the end of the fight.

>Here come the official decisions.

>All three judges have given the victory to Nakahara.

>Andrews Nakahara wins by unanimous decision!

>Official Result: Andrews Nakahara defeats 'X-Man' Xavier Lucas (Unanimous Decision in 10:00 of round 2). The match was rated as being Decent.

2nd Match: Honggang Yao x Atsushi Yamamoto

Round 1:

>Yamamoto slips past a left jab and fires back with a series of lefts.

>They come together and throw strikes, both miss.

>Yao shoots in, looking for a takedown.

>Yamamoto stuffs the takedown attempt.

>Yamamoto darts in and out of range quickly, trying to get Yao to commit to throwing a strike.

>Yamamoto avoids a jab and scores with a left jab to the cheek.

>Yamamoto slams a crisp right into the gloves of Yao, but can't follow up.

>Yao steps in to put some pressure on.

>Yao chooses to shoot in on Yamamoto.

>Yamamoto attempts to avoid Yao as he shoots in.

>The takedown is unsuccessful, Yamamoto avoided Yao.

>A jab misses and Yamamoto counters with a clean jab.

>An exchange of strikes doesn't really lead to anything.

>Yamamoto counters a left jab by using a flurry of quick punches to sting Yao.

>An exchange of strikes goes nowhere.

>Yao uses underhooks to gain solid control, and is looking for a takedown.

>A sweep of the legs is successful, Yamamoto has to pull guard.

>Yao tries to smother Yamamoto, but he squirms free.

>Yamamoto drags Yao in to close control, then hits him with a couple of short punches.

>Yao unloads with some big elbows, but Yamamoto deals with them comfortably.

>Yamamoto works some separation, and Yao ends up standing looking down at him.

>On his back, Yamamoto watches as Yao comes in looking to get a dominant ground position.

>Yao can't hold Yamamoto down and a scramble starts.

>Yamamoto manages to come out on top, with Yao pulling half guard.

>Yamamoto attempts to pass half guard and gain a better position.

>He passes straight to the mount.

>Yamamoto has good control, and starts pounding away on Yao.

>There's lots of strikes landing, Yao needs to find a way out of this position quickly!

>The referee has seen enough, he pulls Yamamoto off!

>The winner, by TKO, is Atsushi Yamamoto!

>Official Result: Atsushi Yamamoto defeats Honggang 'The Master' Yao (TKO (Strikes) in 7:48 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

3rd Match: Pedro Nobre x Shunichi Shimizu

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Shimizu steps back to avoid a kick to the body.

>Both fighters fire off strikes, neither produces any significant damage.

>Shimizu is looking to muscle Nobre back against the ropes.

>Shimizu can't manage it, and Nobre gets out of the grapple entirely.

>Nobre throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Nobre gets a single leg takedown! Shimizu pulls guard off it.

>Nobre throws a few weak-looking punches as he decides on his next move.

>Looking to catch his breath, Nobre is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Looking to catch his breath, Nobre is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.

>Nobre blocks an attempted sweep.

>Shimizu fights off Nobre as he tries to smother him against the ground.

>Nobre blocks an attempted sweep.

>Shimizu fights off Nobre as he tries to smother him against the ground.

>Shimizu tries to pull Nobre in close and smother him, but doesn't get anywhere with it.

>Nobre throws a feint.

>Nobre keeps out of range, assessing the situation.

>Shimizu seems to be waiting for Nobre to make a move.

>Shimizu is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Nobre.

>Nobre is pulled into a grapple.

>Shimizu tries to wrestle Nobre backward and up against the ropes.

>He does so, and now has Nobre pinned to the ropes.

>Shimizu shows his grappling ability by pinning Nobre up against the ropes and keeps him there for about thirty seconds.

>Shimizu shows his grappling ability by pinning Nobre up against the ropes and keeps him there for about thirty seconds.

>Nobre uses his wrestling skills to prevent Shimizu from throwing any knee strikes.

>Shimizu tries to dirty box Nobre, but finds himself out-wrestled and turned around so that he is the one against the ropes.

>Showing how good he can be at controlling opponents, Nobre keeps Shimizu stuck against the ropes for about sixty seconds.

>With the fight having been stuck against the ropes for a lengthy period of time, the referee restarts them back in the center.

>Nobre shoots in, looking for a takedown.

>Shimizu sprawls to stop the takedown, then pulls Nobre up close into a clinch.

>Shimizu is looking to muscle Nobre back against the ropes.

>Nobre doesn't let himself be driven back though, and gets out of the grapple.

>Shimizu slips out of the way of a body kick.

>Backing out of range, Shimizu circles tentatively.

>Not letting up, Nobre quickly steps in closer to attack Shimizu.

Round 2:

>Moving forward, Nobre counters a left jab with a series of lefts.

>Shimizu throws a left jab but Nobre avoids it.

>Nobre counters a left jab by using a kick to the outside of the left leg.

>Shimizu looks like he might be trying to get in close and wrestle with Nobre.

>Strikes from Nobre keep Shimizu from stepping in too close, and he is forced to step back.

>Shimizu throws three punches in quick succession, but Nobre was out of range.

>Nobre doesn't press the issue, allowing Shimizu to circle.

>Nobre gets a vicious inside leg kick on Shimizu.

>Those strikes to the legs are going to take their toll.

>Nobre throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Shimizu.

>Shimizu tries to avoid the takedown.

>Shimizu avoids the takedown attempt.

>Nobre looks to move in and stand in the pocket.

>Keen to keep space between them, Shimizu backs away.

>Shunichi Shimizu is breathing very hard.

>Both fighters throw strikes, no significant damage is inflicted by either.

>A flicked jab from Nobre only finds gloves.

>It seems that Shimizu is happy to let Nobre circle for the moment.

>A flicked jab from Shimizu only finds gloves.

>The fight slows as Nobre sits back and allows Shimizu to circle.

>Pedro Nobre is looking really tired.

>Shimizu fakes a lunge.

>Time slips away as Nobre doesn't press Shimizu, allowing him to circle.

>A couple of ragged punches are used to set up a takedown attempt from a visibly tired Nobre.

>Shimizu sees the takedown coming and tries to move.

>Nobre doesn't get the takedown, Shimizu avoided it.

>Both fighters exchange strikes, but neither hits anything significant.

>Nobre is trying to muscle Shimizu up against the ropes.

>Nobre can't do it though, and ends up being out-wrestled in the grapple.

>Shimizu tries to wrestle Nobre backward and up against the ropes.

>Shimizu can't do it though, and Nobre is able to get free.

>Shimizu circles around Nobre.

>Nobre seems to be waiting for Shimizu to make a move.

>From the looks of things, I don't think Shunichi Shimizu has much energy left.

>A straight left from Shimizu fails to land.

>It seems that Nobre is happy to let Shimizu circle for the moment.

>Pedro Nobre looks like he is on the verge of exhaustion.

>Nobre throws a couple of jabs, a set up for a tired-looking takedown attempt on Shimizu.

>Shimizu tries to avoid the takedown.

>Shimizu avoids the takedown attempt.

>The time expires on round two, and that is the end of the fight.

>Here come the official decisions.

>All three judges give the result in favour of Nobre.

>So the winner, by unanimous decision, is Pedro Nobre!

>Official Result: Pedro Nobre defeats Shunichi Shimizu (Unanimous Decision in 10:00 of round 2). The match was rated as being Awful.

4th Match: Yusaku Nakamura x Hiromasa Ogikubo

Round 1:

>Round one begins!

>Nakamura throws a left jab but Ogikubo avoids it.

>Ogikubo chooses to shoot in on Nakamura.

>Ogikubo doesn't get the takedown, Nakamura saw it coming and was equal to it.

>They come together and strike, but neither can land a clean shot.

>Backing out of range, Ogikubo circles tentatively.

>Not letting up, Nakamura quickly steps in closer to attack Ogikubo.

>A flurry of punches miss Ogikubo and allow him to counter-strike with a solid left jab.

>Ogikubo catches a right leg kick and goes for a takedown but it is stuffed.

>Ogikubo throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>The takedown is unsuccessful, Nakamura blocked Ogikubo.

>Ogikubo looks to be trying to close the distance between them.

>Ogikubo can't get close enough to grapple, Nakamura makes sure to keep out of range.

>Nakamura narrowly misses Ogikubo with a right uppercut.

>Ogikubo doesn't let Nakamura settle, stepping in closer to impose himself.

>Ogikubo looks to be trying to close the distance between them.

>Ogikubo can't get close enough to grapple, Nakamura makes sure to keep out of range.

>Ogikubo slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>Ogikubo comes in with a couple of jabs, using them as cover so that he can shoot in.

>Nakamura attempts to avoid Ogikubo as he shoots in.

>The takedown is unsuccessful, Nakamura avoided Ogikubo.

>Ogikubo counters a flurry of punches with a left.

>Ogikubo is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Nakamura.

>Nakamura finds himself pulled into a grappling contest.

>With control of the clinch, Ogikubo tries to complete a takedown.

>The takedown is successful, Nakamura pulls guard.

>Ogikubo starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>He passes to half guard.

>Ogikubo begins trying to get his leg free of the half guard.

>Ogikubo gets past the guard, but doesn't go for side control after all, instead shifting straight into a mount.

>Ogikubo tries to pound on Nakamura with elbows, but all the blows are comfortably dealt with.

>Nakamura tries a sweep from the bottom of the mount, but gets rolled and Ogikubo has his back!

>Ogikubo successfully gets both hooks in, and seems primed to finish.

>With both hooks in, Ogikubo tries to flatten Nakamura out for the rear naked choke.

>Nakamura gets flattened out with the rear naked choke, he has to tap!

>The winner, by submission; Hiromasa Ogikubo!

>Official Result: Hiromasa Ogikubo defeats Yusaku Nakamura (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 9:14 of round 1). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

5th Match: Takafumi Otsuka x Koetsu Okazaki

Round 1:

>And here we go!

>Okazaki counters a left jab with a right kick to the thigh.

>Okazaki throws out a couple of jabs as a set up, then shoots in for a takedown.

>Otsuka tries to avoid the takedown.

>The takedown doesn't work, Otsuka saw it coming and got out of range.

>Otsuka avoids a flurry of punches.

>Okazaki slips past a left jab and fires back with a kick to the outside of the left leg.

>Strikes to the leg like that will take their toll.

>Both fighters advance and strike, but neither hits anything.

>Both fighters advance and strike, but neither hits anything.

>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up grappling.

>Otsuka is trying to push Okazaki so that his back is up against the ropes.

>Otsuka doesn't manage it though, as Okazaki slips out of the grapple and gets away.

>They come together and strike, but neither can land a clean shot.

>They wind up in a tight clinch.

>Otsuka and Okazaki break the grapple and are apart again, circling.

>There's a short stalemate as both fighters advance and throw strikes, but neither hits.

>Otsuka slams a crisp right into the gloves of Okazaki, but can't follow up.

>Okazaki steps in closer to force the issue.

>There's a takedown attempt from Okazaki.

>Otsuka tries to avoid Okazaki.

>The takedown doesn't work, Otsuka saw it coming and got out of range.

>We've now passed the halfway mark in this round.

>An errant jab sets Okazaki up to counter-strike with a series of quick lefts.

>A speculative right hand from Otsuka doesn't find a home.

>Not letting Otsuka settle at all, Okazaki comes in closer.

>A quick exchange of strikes produces nothing worth mentioning.

>Okazaki moves in quickly after a wayward punch and hits a flurry of small strikes.

>Okazaki steps back to avoid a left jab.

>Okazaki avoids a jab.

>Otsuka gets Okazaki with a punch to the ribs, but it lacked power.

>Not letting up, Okazaki steps in closer to pressure Otsuka into action.

>Okazaki feints throwing a jab.

>A left jab misses and Okazaki counters with a kick to the outside of the left knee.

>We move into the final sixty seconds of this round.

>Moving forward, Okazaki counters a left jab with a series of quick lefts.

>Okazaki looks like he might be trying to get in close and wrestle with Otsuka.

>Otsuka is pulled into a grapple.

Round 2:

>Okazaki slips past a left jab and counters with a straight left.

>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes but neither hits.

>An exchange of blows doesn't really produce any damage or a clear advantage.

>Okazaki chooses to shoot in on Otsuka.

>Otsuka tries to step away from the takedown.

>Okazaki doesn't get the takedown, Otsuka avoided it.

>Moving in closer, Okazaki looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.

>Otsuka uses movement to keep out reach, frustrating Okazaki.

>Otsuka bobs and weaves.

>Okazaki doesn't press the issue, allowing Otsuka to circle.

>A flicked jab from Otsuka only finds gloves.

>Not letting up, Okazaki quickly steps in closer to attack Otsuka.

>There's a takedown attempt from Okazaki.

>He has the takedown! Otsuka is too quick though, and as soon as he hits the ground he spins away, getting back to his feet.

>Otsuka circles, looking for an opening.

>Okazaki steps in closer to force the issue.

>Okazaki is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.

>Backing off, Otsuka makes sure to keep out of range.

>Okazaki slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.

>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes but neither hits.

>They wind up in a tight clinch.

>Wanting to take it to the ground, Okazaki attempts to drag Otsuka down into his guard.

>He achieves it, Otsuka is now on the ground in his guard.

>Okazaki raises his legs and tries to get Otsuka into a triangle choke.

>Otsuka gets caught by the triangle, and it's deep...there's no alternative but to tap out!

>The winner, by submission, is Koetsu Okazaki!

>Official Result: Koetsu Okazaki defeats Takafumi Otsuka (Submission (Triangle) in 6:12 of round 2). The match was rated as being Very Poor.

6th Match: Seiya Kawahara x Shintaro Ishiwatari

Round 1:

>Ishiwatari avoids a barrage of big right hands.

>Kawahara throws a barrage of big rights but Ishiwatari is quick to move out of range.

>Kawahara feints left, then right.

>Ishiwatari catches a right body kick and shows his judo roots by instinctively going for a trip takedown, but Kawahara is able to stuff it.

>Kawahara drops a shoulder, trying to sucker Ishiwatari in with a feint.

>Kawahara looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Ishiwatari.

>Ishiwatari tries to counter Kawahara with a right hand, but it doesn't hit the target.

>Kawahara counters a left jab by hitting a crisp jab.

>Ishiwatari comes in with a couple of jabs, using them as cover so that he can shoot in.

>Ishiwatari gets caught with a right hook though, and he is momentarily wobbly!

>Kawahara looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Ishiwatari.

>Ishiwatari now has Kawahara standing in the pocket.

>Ishiwatari slips past a tidy combination of punches and then hits a clean left jab.

>Slipping past a left jab, Ishiwatari hits a left jab to the cheek.

>Ishiwatari slips past a tidy combination of punches and then hits a crisp left.

>Using head movement to slip past a left jab, Kawahara hits a series of big punches, trapping Ishiwatari against the ropes!

>Getting destroyed, Ishiwatari falls to the ground...but the blows keep on landing!

>The referee jumps in and saves Ishiwatari from taking any more shots!

>Seiya Kawahara takes the victory by way of TKO!

>Official Result: Seiya Kawahara defeats Shintaro Ishiwatari (TKO (Strikes) in 3:54 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

7th Match: Sidemar Honorio x Kyoji Horiguchi

Round 1:

>Horiguchi feints left and throws a flurry of punches but Honorio is just able to avoid them.

>Honorio steps back to avoid a flurry of punches.

>Honorio slips out of the way of a body kick.

>Honorio steps back to avoid a kick to the body.

>Advancing, Horiguchi counters a left jab by using a right hook, knocking Honorio out!

>The winner, by Knock Out; Kyoji Horiguchi!

>Official Result: Kyoji Horiguchi defeats Sidemar 'Sedico' Honorio (Knock Out (Punch) in 1:52 of round 1). The match was rated as being Good.

8th Match: Motonobu Tezuka x Masakatsu Ueda

Round 1:

>Tezuka avoids a nice combination.

>Ueda isn't drawn in by Tezuka feinting to his left.

>Ueda comes in, looking for a quick takedown.

>Tezuka gets taken down by a single leg, and has to pull guard.

>Ueda starts trying to work to get past the guard.

>He passes guard fairly easily, getting to side control.

>Ueda begins trying to get himself behind Tezuka.

>He rolls Tezuka over a little...and slips behind to take the back!

>Ueda attempts a rear naked choke.

>The rear naked choke is in deep, Tezuka has to tap out!

>The winner, by submission; Masakatsu Ueda!

>Official Result: Masakatsu Ueda defeats Motonobu Tezuka (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 2:57 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Main Event: Jens Pulver x Rumina Sato

Round 1:

>Sato avoids a barrage of punches and hits a wild spinning back fist, catching Pulver right on the chin for a knock out!

> The crowd at Ryogoku Kokugikan absolutely explodes in cheers. The crowd is electrified for such a emphatic victory for their hero!

>'Moon Wolf' Rumina Sato takes the win by Knock Out!

>Official Result: 'Moon Wolf' Rumina Sato defeats 'Little Evil' Jens Pulver (Knock Out (Punch) in 0:31 of round 1). The match was rated as being Decent.

BWGP Quarterfinals:

Rumina Sato x Atsushi Yamamoto

Masakatsu Ueda x Pedro Nobre

Kyoji Horiguchi x Hiromasa Ogikubo

Koetsu Okazaki x Seiya Kawahara

Prediction Standings:

CageRage: 34-23

completesky: 32-17

Jingo: 32-25

LOL for some reason, I was fired (even after making 10 million in profit since beginning the game)

Anyways, this won't be the end of this dynasty. I'll have to take a small break and transfer my in-game data to word documents and i'll resume as soon as possible through quick matches.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

PURE Fighting Championships VIII: Flyweight Grand Prix Opening Round Card Finalized

PURE Fighting Championships VIII: Flyweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Tokyo Dome Hall/ 2nd Week of August

Opening Match: Flyweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout:

Junya Kodo (8-5-2/Japan)

x

Alexandre Pantoja Passidomo (11-2/Brazil)

2nd Match: Featherweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout #1:

Doo Ho Choi (9-2/South Korea)

x

Chris Horodecki (18-5-1/Canada)

3rd Match: Featherweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout #2:

Masanori Kanehara (21-11-5/Japan)

x

Taiki Tsuchiya (9-4/Japan)

4th Match:

Manabu Inoue (14-8-3/Japan)

x

Fumihiro Kitahara (11-3-1/Japan0

5th Match:

Mitsuhisa Sunabe (16-7-4/Japan)

x

Jose Maria Tome (31-3-2/Brazil)

6th Match:

Kiyotaka Shimizu (12-7-3/Japan)

x

Junji Ito (9-3/Japan)

7th Match:

Noboru Tahara (9-5-1/Japan)

x

Henry Cejudo (debut/USA)

8th Match:

Yuki Shojo (13-7-2/Japan)

x

Mikihito Yamagami (8-2/Japan)

9th Match:

Rambaa Somdet (10-2/Thailand)

x

Dileno Lopes (11-0/Brazil)

10th Match:

B.J. Kojima (12-5-5/Japan)

x

Kentaro Watanabe (9-3/Japan)

Main Event:

Vic Darchinyan (debut/Armenia)

x

Haruo Ochi (9-3-1/Japan)

PURE Fighting Championships VIII: Flyweight Grand Prix Opening Round

@ Tokyo Dome Hall/ 2nd Week of August

Junya Kodo (8-5-2/Japan)

x

x

x

4th Match:

x

5th Match:

x

6th Match:

x

Junji Ito (9-3/Japan)

7th Match:

x

Henry Cejudo (debut/USA)

8th Match:

x

9th Match:

x

10th Match:

x

Main Event:

x

Haruo Ochi (9-3-1/Japan)

Junya Kodo (8-5-2/Japan)

x

x

x

4th Match:

x

5th Match:

x

6th Match:

x

Junji Ito (9-3/Japan)

7th Match:

x

Henry Cejudo (debut/USA)

8th Match:

x

9th Match:

x

10th Match:

x

Main Event:

x

Haruo Ochi (9-3-1/Japan)

Come on Vic!!!

I'm really torn with who I want to win that match. Vic would be wonderful because it'd probably bring more outside attention to my promotion, but I really like Haruo Ochi, as well, for being such an entertaining fighter.

Archived