CWWF: Canada's Newest Hitmakers

December 2012: In which our hero encounters an old friend and receives an offer that she really shouldn't be making

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/HughDansigny_zps9ba2b560.jpghttp://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/VictoriaStone_zps74d238c4.jpg

“Uncle Hugh!”

To say that Hugh Dansigny was surprised when Lucy Stone-McFly attached herself to his leg and nearly toppled him over wasn’t an understatement, but it didn’t quite give the whole truth. Yes, Lucy was an enthusiastic child, and prone to attaching herself to her uncle (any of them, really, and she had a lot) at the slightest inclination, but she was an enthusiastic child who lived in Canada with her parents, not one who was in the habit of appearing backstage at NYCW shows.

“Lucy! Not that I'm not pleased to see you, sport, but I gotta ask where your parents are, ‘cos if you’ve run away from home then they are going to kill me. And your Aunt Tammy is gonna help them”

“Silly Uncle Hugh. Mommy’s here too.”

“So that’s where she got to. I should've known you two would gravitate to each other- an eight-year old, and a man who acts like an eight year-old, the perfect combination”

“Okay, firstly Vicky, I do not act like an eight year old because eight year olds don’t drink as much coffee as I do unless they have lousy parents. And secondly, if you actually watch the show you’ll learn that the perfect combination is actually Harker and Tennessee, at least according to Captain Elvis-Clone. And can I just say that, great as it is to see you, what exactly are you doing here?”

“C’mon Hugh, what’s wrong with taking Lucy to a nice, family-friendly wrestling show?”

“I’d say the main problem was the fact that we’re in an entirely different country, Vicky, just at a guess”

“You know I can’t take Vicky to a DeColt show- how would that look, a Stone appearing at a rival wrestling show? Everyone would think I was gonna jump ship. And I don’t hold with that hardcore stuff they do in Toronto, it’s not good for a little girl like Lucy to see that”

“Fair enough, I guess- I never cared for all that hardcore stuff either. But this is still a little out of your way, Vicky, given that we’re six hundred miles away from Halifax. C'mon, admit it, you just came down to beg Steve to return and see if you could steal Andy Harper into the bargain”

“Puh-lease- maybe after he's worked more than a dozen matches ever, we'll talk about bringing him up to the big leagues. But as a general rule, when you’re the biggest game in Canada, you don’t have to pick up the first wrestler you see that can tell the difference between a hammerlock and a half nelson”

The grins on Vicky and Hugh’s faces took any sting out of their words, long years of gleefully insulting each other ensuring that this was comparatively mild, by their standards. At that point Lucy, who’d already been nodding off, yawned loudly

“Can we go back to the hotel now mommy? I’m a-seepy”

“A-seepy, huh? That’s never good, sport, you better go to bed and sleep it off”

“Your Uncle Hugh’s right, Lucy, even if it’s a miracle he ever sleeps with all the coffee he drinks. Just let me make the offer and then we’ll get going, okay?”

“Offer? Vicky…what offer? ‘Cos if this is about going back to North of the Border then I'm not up to handling that kind of pressure, not anymore…”

“Relax Hugh, Jeremy still has nightmares about you two working together back in the day, actually bringing you back would finish him off altogether.”

“Just to check, we still think that’s a bad thing, right?”

“Yes, Hugh, as a general rule giving my brother a coronary is not considered a good thing. But, trying valiantly to get back to somewhere near the point, what I’m offering is nothing to do with NOTBPW, this is all my thing, okay?”

“Okay, I'm listening. Not very much, cos, y’know…me, but I’m listening”

“Are you absolutely sure? I'm not joking here, Hugh, this is actually kinda big and I could do without your attitude”

Hugh suddenly realised that Vicky was actually nervous. This was exceptionally weird; Victoria Stone-McFly got nervous about as often as Hugh’s first wife met a syringe she could put down.

“Vicky, are you okay? ‘Cos this whole nervous thing is very much not you- seriously, last time you were this fidgety your grandma had died”

“Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that Hugh…oh Christ, look, I’m opening my own company and I want you to come in as head booker”

Presumably the ringing in Hugh’s ears was that ton of bricks dropping on his head

“Hawajabu…Vicky, you want me to book your wrestling company? I haven’t run a book since, well, ever! North of the Border I was on a team, and NYCW I just help Bailey write the running order. This, this is even more insane than my mother, okay? I mean, you’ve got, what, three hundred prospective bookers at North of the Border, not to mention your own husband. Why not just Sean to do it? He’d do anything for you, the boring twerp”

“Okay, firstly Sean is not boring, and last time I looked you were married to his sister so watch it, okay? She’ll kick your @ss. And the reason I'm coming to you is because it’s women’s wrestling, and you know more about it than anyone else I know except me and April, and I haven't talked to her in 10 years”

That at least was true. Sure, the last time Hugh had actually worked in a company with female wrestlers was North of the Border back in the 90’s, but he’d watched every women’s wrestling match from the last 13 years at some point, and anyways, he was basically awesome (when he remembered, anyway).

“Okay, I'm in. Heck, I've missed working with you, Vicky- only guy round here who can keep up with my sense of humour is Steve, and he’s too nice to be any fun.”

“Okay, great. Honestly, Hugh, I’ve missed having your around too…although if you tell anyone that I’ll break your face in half.”

“That might actually help, looking at my ugly mush. Look, Vicky, you know I’m in and you know I’ll do the best job I can, which let’s face it will be epoch-defining, but it’d help if I knew what this company was going to be called. And when’re we opening, actually, I need to wrap things up here before I move up to join you in…wherever the h*ll we’ll be working, I really don’t know anything about my new job, do I?”

“If I told you anything in advance you’d just annoy me more than usual. We’re working The Prairies, don’t look at me like that it’s virgin territory for an start-up like ours, and the name’s, well, nothing fancy I'm afraid. The Canadian Women’s Wrestling Federation- I figure people are just gonna laugh if I try anything too clever”

“CWWF…I can dig it. Okay, I’ll see you after New Year’s, okay? Oh, and one thing, Vicky, well two if we’re being technical”

“Let me guess, you’re bringing in Tammy and I can’t do anything to stop you? Hugh, she’s my sister-in-law and Lucy’s favourite aunt, it’s not like I'm gonna complain.”

“That’s good, and just one thing, I said two, remember?”

“Oh god, I can see where this is going…”

“I want a chair. A big one. With cupholders and arm-rests and everything”

Hugh knew what his priorities were, after all.

January 2013: In which we deliver a lot of exposition

January 2013: In which we deliver a lot of exposition

Note to self: next time I see Vicky, I will murder her. And no, Tammy, when you read this (and don’t even bother pretending you don’t, I know you, okay?) this is not me joking, I will seriously murder her. I mean, The Prairies? Really? If it wasn’t for Tim Horton’s there would be literally nothing here worth doing except work, and I don’t do work. At least, not where anyone can see me.

On the plus side, CWWF’s roster is starting to come together. Okay, so we’ll probably need to bring in some more talent down the line, but right now we’ve got enough talent in place to look like we know what we’re doing (as if the fact that Vicky Stone-McFly’s name wasn’t proof enough of that). Gonna have to make sure I know who’s who so I don’t accidentally book someone against themself, but after that it’s all down to the sweet, sweet genius of yours truly.

Main Eventers

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/GraceHarper_zps95c3621b.jpg

Grace Harper

Entrance Music: Killer Queen- Queen

Finisher: Fisherman’s Suplex

Grace is one of our oldest wrestlers, but you wouldn’t know it to look at her. Thus far she’s managed to stave off the ravages of age, and whilst I wouldn’t call her the best wrestler we’ve got her fundamentals are fantastic- she’s the only wrestler we’ve got who’s got the psychology to match Vicky’s. Combine that with her charisma and you’ve got quite the package for a franchise player. She’s currently our top face, and whilst I don’t know that I’d put the All-Canada title on her she’s definitely a contender for that spot.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/SteffiChee_zps5e62b19b.jpg

Stephanie Hazel

Entrance Music: You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet- Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Finisher: Axe Kick

Vicky’s lifelong rival, I’ve bought Steph in to act as our top heel. Even when you disregard that easy storyline hook, though, you have to admit she deserves the top slot; she’s one of our finest all-rounders, and capable of matching up with just about anyone on the roster. Steph’s not without her flaws, though- her fundamentals are a bit average for a worker at this level, and she’s not the best on the mic. Still, that doesn’t take away from her basic quality, and I see her working her career out at the top of the card.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/EmmaBitch_zps3d1ae561.jpg

Emma Bitch

Entrance Music: Bitch- Meredith Brooks

Finisher: The Payback (Reverse DDT)

Emma’s our most over heel, but she doesn’t really measure up to Steph talent-wise. She’s a strong brawler, and easily better on the mic, but she doesn’t match up to Steph’s fundamentals, which really says a lot. Her psychology is pretty poor for a main-event prospect, and she can’t sell for shizz, which is a definite problem for one of our big stars. Still, her name value makes her valuable, and there’s always a chance she could improve.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/TamaraMcFly_zpsc3f9c958.jpg

Tamara McFly

Entrance Music: Devil Gate Drive- Suzi Quatro

Finisher: McFly Roll (Rolling Fireman’s Carry Slam)

CWWF’s top babyface, Tammy’s a heck of a wrestler. A solid all-rounder with good fundamentals, she’s also really improved on the mic since she joined that Camelot 3 show on Arcadia, which has turned her from a shy, retiring type to a really quite skilful mic worker. She’s also one of our most over names, which should help shift a few tickets, and whilst I’m not 100% sold on it she’s my favourite for World Champion at the start.

Upper Midcarders

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/EveGrunge_zps60657204.jpg

Eve Grunge

Entrance Music: Violet- Hole

Finisher: Violet Dream (Fujiwara Armbar)

Eve’s another really strong competitor, and the worker most likely to step up to the main event in place of April. She’s a very capable technician, although she’s no expert, and her fundamentals are exceptional. She’s not great on the mic, though, and that could count against her in the long run. Mind you, with Grace and Emma at the top that probably won’t matter too much, and a feud between Eve and Emma would probably help shave off both of their rough edges.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/JanaMarieBowen_zpsa14b1ee7.jpg

Jana Marie Bowen

Entrance Music: How You Remind Me- Nickelback

Finishers: The Bowen Technique (Shiranui), Foundation & Empire (Aided Rolling Cutter)

Jana’s one half of probably our top heel team (although that is somewhat debatable, given how good the others are), although as a singles competitor she’s a bit of a wash-out. Okay, she’s got the charisma to keep it interesting, and her fundamentals are solid enough, but her offence isn’t particularly strong; she’s basically limited to some decent chain wrestling and a lot of flying about. I’m not a fan, but her cocky loudmouth character has potential, and if her team with Paige comes together then she’s definitely got a future with us.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/KateLilly_zpsda039f7b.jpg

Kate Lilly

Entrance Music: Flowers in the Rain- The Move

Finishers: Lilly Launch Pad (Frog Splash), Flower Fall (Event Omega)

Kate Lilly teams up with Debbie Rose in the imaginatively-named Lilly & Rose, but she’s a pretty solid singles competitor on top of that. Okay, so she’s got about as much variety in her offence as JMB, but she can at least throw a vaguely convincing array of chops out on top of the flashy stuff, and her fundamentals are really very good for her age. I could see big things happening for Kate, but a lot depends on how Debbie Rose develops; right now, I’m inclined to leave them in a team, but if Kate develops quicker than Deb I may just split them up.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/MissyMasterson_zps18da9e75.jpg

Claire Masterson

Entrance Music: Magic Carpet Ride- Steppenwolf

Finisher: Identity Crisis (Diving Somersault Leg Drop)

Better known as Missy Masterson, Claire’s going by her real name here to emphasise the fact that she’s heel (I don’t know about you, but I don’t think the name ‘Missy’ really screams badness). She’s a capable wrestler, nothing hugely special but with a good all-round game that’s almost the match of Steph Hazel’s, and has a lot of charisma to boot. I could see her overtaking Emma as the number two heel- Claire’s fundamentals are certainly strong enough- but we’ll see how they develop first.

Midcarders

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/DanielleSweetheart_zps9a9abc7e.jpg

Danielle Sweetheart

Entrance Music: Sister Christian- Night Ranger

Finisher: Roaring Elbow

One of QAW’s top stars, Danielle’s got less name value this side of the border. She’s still a talented competitor, though, with a strong all-round offence and the fundamentals to back that up. Her mic skills are also pretty good, although it’s worth pointing out that for all she’s got that all-round game her technique is noticeably weaker than her flying or brawling. I see Danielle as a midcard pillar- she’s teaming up with Wendy Anderson, and I don’t want to unbalance the unit by pushing one over the other.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/DebbieRose_zpsb8a1ed5c.jpg

Debbie Rose

Entrance Music: Flowers in the Rain- The Move

Finishers: Thorn Cutter (Cutter), Flower Fall (Event Omega)

Kate Lilly’s partner, Debbie’s basically identical to Kate but weaker than her in every respect. She’s not a bad worker, but aside from some good chain wrestling she’s pretty much a pure high-flier, and not an especially good one at that. Her biggest problem, though, is probably her totally mediocre fundamentals; for a worker supposedly trained by Belle Bryden she’s got none of her mentor’s considerable gifts. Still, Debbie’s one of our hottest prospects, so there’s every chance that she’ll develop into a solid worker in a few years, and there’s enough quality talent in our tag division that she’ll be getting plenty of opportunities to improve.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/GoldenDelicious_zpsc8aaafa4.jpg

Golden Delicious

Entrance Music: Land Down Under- Men at Work

Finisher: Melbourne Surprise (Springboard Sitout Facebuster)

Delicious is another veteran, and another solid high worker. For the most part she relies on aerial offence, but she’s also pretty solid at chain wrestling, and her submissions are surprisingly good compared to other workers we’ve got in her line. She’s not one of our absolute best, granted, but she’s decent enough and will help to shore up the midcard as the youngsters develop and find their feet.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/JaimeQuine_zps04f97dbb.jpg

Jaime Quine

Entrance Music: Wheel in the Sky- Journey

Finisher: K.O. Kick (Superkick)

If Jaime’s not the best wrestler on the roster, she’s definitely up there. Good technique, flashy offence, and kicks so powerful that they cause pain from two states over. She’s also got great fundamentals, which is a big help when you consider some of the weaknesses on the heel side. I’d say Jaime’s a lock for a big midcard feud but I’m not ruling out pushing her higher to see if she can handles a main event run.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/TracyBrendon_zpsc7dfd46e.jpghttp://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/MichelleBrendon_zps8c4b7819.jpg

Tracy & Michelle Brendon- The Brendon Sisters

Ages: 29 & 38 Billed From: Jerome, Idaho

Entrance Music: Don’t Stop Me Now- Queen

Finishers: Idaho Crunch (Shining Apprentice, Tracy), Whirly Bird (Spinning Crucifix Toss, Michelle), Driving to Idaho (Double Foot Stomp/Kryptonite Krunch combo)

Ostensibly our number two face tag team, at least in terms of popularity, the Brendons could well challenge for the top spot. Each of them are very capable singles workers; Tracy’s definitely the stronger, being a heck of an all-rounder, but Michelle’s got the edge in terms of fundamentals. Not only that, but they’re also easily our most experienced team, making them very strong challengers for the initial title. They’re also both great girls backstage, which really helps their case.

Lower Midcarders

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/DemelzaWade_zps05c52104.jpghttp://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/NadiaSnow_zps966146c7.jpg

Demelza Wade & Nadia Snow- The A-List

Ages: 32 & 25 Billed From: Hollywood, California and Montreal, Quebec

Entrance Music: Death On Two Legs- Queen

Finishers: Super Kick (Wade), Snow Storm (Corkscrew Senton, Snow), Box Office Hit (Double Brainbuster)

The A-List are another team who’s standing on the card isn’t really equal to their talent. Ostensibly our number two heel team, in actuality they could main event for us without any problems in terms of workrate, and they’ve got the charisma to back it up as well. I see these two overtaking JMB and Paige as our top heel team, especially given that Nadia’s nice than either Jana or Paige.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/PaigeCroft_zps91aef239.jpg

Paige Croft

Entrance Music: How You Remind Me- Nickelback

Finishers: Memphis Deathlock (Haas of Pain), Foundation & Empire (Aided Rolling Cutter)

Paige Croft is more talented than her partner, Jana Marie Bowen, but if you forced me to choose between them I’d go with JMB. The reason for this is twofold: one, JMB’s Canadian, emphasising our roots; two, Paige is a massive, raging douchebag. She’s a talented technician, good fundamentals and solid charisma to go with it, but with that attitude I don’t see her sticking around unless she really wises up and keeps her mouth shut.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/WendyAnderson_zps204a7a16.jpg

Wendy Anderson

Entrance Music: Sister Christian- Night Ranger

Finisher: Flying Cross Body

Danielle’s partner in the Enchantment Express, Wendy’s solid but nothing spectacular- she’s basically similar to Golden Delicious, only a face and not Australian. She’s a solid high flier with decent technique, and whilst her fundamentals aren’t up to her partner’s standards they’re not bad. I don’t see Wendy rising far up the card, but she’s a useful worker with a good future ahead of her, provided she puts in some work on improving her game.

Openers

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/BrookeTyler_zps06cb790a.jpg

Brooke Tyler

Entrance Music: Barracuda- Heart

Finisher: Brooke Breaker (Full Nelson Camel Clutch)

With luck, this is the last time you’ll see Brooke this low on the card. She’s ridiculously talented for a rookie, and whilst I’ll admit her psychology is at rookie level anybody with that level of technical excellence is okay by me. I’m not saying Brooke will be getting god-pushed or anything- Vicky would kill me if I tried- but I do expect her to be getting some pretty big match-ups to help get her over. She’s also teaming up with Selina Svelte as the Can-Am Assassins, a team that shows promise.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/SelinaSvelte_zps1bb35b61.jpg

Selina Svelte

Entrance Music: Barracuda- Heart

Finisher: Prawn Armlock (Headscissors Armbar)

For someone who hasn’t even been wrestling a full year, Selina’s not bad. Okay, so I brought her solely because she’s Canadian and we need more natives on the roster, but she’s good solid technique and decent fundamentals given her lack of experience. She’s a jobber, more or less, but I’m inclined to give her room to improve and see where we go from there.

Non-Wrestlers

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/HughDansigny_zps9ba2b560.jpg

Hugh Dansigny

As well as chief booker I’ll also be working the commentary desk as our lead announcer. Frankly it’s not my speciality- I haven’t handled regular announcing duties since RPW back in the 90’s, and that was nearly 20 years ago- but since nobody else we've got can handle the announcing, and Vicky can also do colour, it makes sense for me to take the job. At a guess I'd say I'm pretty solid, but we'll see how it goes.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/IsabellaEncanta_zps9b4779d3.jpg

Isabella Encanta

Isabella’s currently managing Lilly & Rose, although with plans still very much up in the air she may wind up going elsewhere depending on where she’s needed. Whatever the case, Encanta’s got the entertainment skills to handle mic work for most of our roster, and she’s a nice chick to boot.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/VictoriaStone_zps74d238c4.jpg

Victoria Stone-McFly

CWWF’s owner, biggest name and generally awesome chick, Vicky’s working as our onscreen Authority Figure (everybody already knows she owns the company, so why bother pretending otherwise?) as well handling colour commentary and road agent duties. She’s inherently and genetically predisposed to being Awesome, so expect to see her all over our shows.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/RussellEicke_zps698427fe.jpghttp://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/CWWF/ClarenceGarcia_zpsa2e696b9.jpg

Russell Eicke & Clarence Garcia

CWWF’s referees, Russ and Clarence work reasonably cheap so I bought both of them in to give us a bit more respectability. Neither of them are anything special, but Russ is pretty good and Clarence has a fantastic moustache so I don’t figure on getting rid of them.

Immediate thoughts on the roster; the hierarchy of the tag division needs to be clarified and I’ve no idea what to so with the All Action title (our designated midcard belt), but otherwise not bad. We’re also d@mn lucky that nobody’s showing their age yet- three of our main event are the wrong side of 30, and I don’t count on many of them going much past 40 before retiring. Still, for a starting roster, that’s pretty darn good.

Card for CWWF Rush

FOR THE CWWF ALL CANADA TITLE

Tamara McFly vs. Stephanie Hazel

FOUR CORNERS OF FURY

Grace Harper vs. Emma Bitch vs. Eve Grunge vs. Claire Masterson

FOR THE CWWF TAG TEAM TITLES

Lilly & Rose (Kate Lilly & Debbie Rose) vs. The A-List (Nadia Snow & Demelza Wade)

The Brendon Sisters vs. The Foundation (Jana Marie Bowen & Paige Croft)

FOR THE CWWF ALL ACTION TITLE

Jaime Quine vs. Golden Delicious

The Enchantment Express (Danielle Sweetheart & Wendy Anderson) vs. Can-Am Assassins (Selina Svelte & Brooke Tyler)

Card for CWWF Rush

Heel first champ always so faces can chase after it and eventually get the big moment when they finally win the belt is pretty much Old School Booking 101.

FOUR CORNERS OF FURY

Lilly & Rose (Kate Lilly & Debbie Rose) vs. The A-List (Nadia Snow & Demelza Wade)

K.O. KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

The Enchantment Express (Danielle Sweetheart & Wendy Anderson) vs. Can-Am Assassins (Selina Svelte & Brooke Tyler)

Higher rating on the card. Any reason why you didn't bring in Talia Quinzel? Just out of curiosity as she has a pre-set team with Selina Svelte.

Card for CWWF Rush

FOUR CORNERS OF FURY

Card for CWWF Rush

FOUR CORNERS OF FURY

CWWF Rush

Live to DVD from the Yorkton Pavilion

Friday, Week 4, January 2013

Audience: 161

The Show

We start things off in slightly unusual style- rather than going straight into a match, once the audience have settled ‘You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet’ brings out Stephanie Hazel, mic in hand.

“So, this is what ol’ Vicky Stone’s gotten for herself. Brand new shiny Wrestling Company, all set to take on the world. There’s just one problem there, Vick. See, when you started the CWWF up, you called up every major star you could get and brought them up. Grace Harper, Tamara McFly- wonder how she got her job?- heck, you even went down to Anne Stardust and brought in a bunch of her people. But you know who you forget to call, who you chose to ignore? Me. That’s right Vicky, you ignored just about the biggest star Canada ever had! We tore it up all over the country, you and me, and just ‘cos I did my d@mnedest to end your career you choose to leave me out of the party. Heck, only reason I’m here is ‘cos Emma B*tch called me and gave me a heads up!

“So here’s what I’m going to do to your company, Vicky, ‘cos you thought you were better than me and wouldn’t cut in Canada’s most dangerous wrestler to your little wrestling game. I’m gonna walk in here, I’m taking that All Canada title and I’m gonna burn your world to ashes! I’m gonna take your old stooges like Grace Harper and that snivelling little creep Tammy McFly, who’s only here because you married her brother, and I’m going to snap them in half. Then, when I’m done, I’m coming for you, Vicky. Oh, you may be retired, but I promise you, nothing and nobody is going to stop me getting my hands on you, and when I do…”

“THAT’S ENOUGH!”

Tamara McFly comes powering through the curtain (well, less of a curtain than a staircase down to the changing rooms, but it amounts to the same thing), mic in hand.

“I’ve been standing backstage, listening to you whine and whinge about not getting your due, and I’ve had just about enough! You can say what you like about me, Steph- I’m a big girl, I can handle it- but I’m telling you now, you set one foot near my sister-in-law, I will end you”

“What’s that? Little Miss McFly scared I’ll cripple her meal ticket? Don’t worry, I’m sure Vegas will be needing another ‘dancer’ any day now…”

With that, Tammy loses her rag and promptly decks Steph with a punch right to the jaw (which is nothing to what I’d have done if I hadn’t actually written that line for Steph)

“Alright, you want to shoot your mouth off, how’s about we settle this like wrestlers? We’ve got the All Canada title on the line in tonight’s main event, what say you and me meet up then and settle this? I figure, you’re really set on burning this company like you say, what better way than by grabbing the top title?”

Steph, who’s already on the floor and backing towards the locker room, brandishes her mic like it’s some kind of a weapon

“You got it, Tammy. In tonight’s main event, you’re first on the list!”

This worked pretty well- Steph and Tammy are two of our biggest names, so I threw them out there first to set up the main event and our first major storyline.

Rating: D

Lilly & Rose vs. The A-List

This one went out as our first match because Kate Lilly likes that slot- besides, it makes sense for one of our big matches to go out as early as possible to draw the crowd in. This was pretty good; Debbie was gasping by the end, and Nadia fluffed a couple of spots, but on the whole it worked out pretty well. We also had a lot of good chemistry in this match; not only do Debbie and Kate work well together, but Debbie and Isabella also make a very natural pairing. We worked this as a fairly basic face-in-peril storyline; after Kate and Debbie took the initiative with some high-intensity offence in the early going Demelza and Nadia took advantage and isolated Debbie whilst Isabella sold it like crazy at ringside. In the end Debbie was able to tag in Kate, who went to work with considerable aplomb and swung the advantage her team’s way with a burst of high-energy offence before going up top for the Lilly Launch Pad on a recumbent Wade. Unfortunately for Kate she hadn’t done enough to take out Nadia Snow, who intercepted the Launch Pad and reversed into a Spinebuster that took Kate out of the match, forcing Debbie into the match. Rose did her best, but Demelza dropped her with a Superkick before The A-List nailed the Box Office Hit to secure the victories and win the CWWF Tag Team Titles.

Winners: The A-List Match Rating: D

Can-Am Assassins vs. The Enchantment Express

I may rejig things again- these two teams delivered a match that more than exceeded my expectations. That’s partially down to fluky chemistry- our tag division produced its second or third example of good chemistry as Wendy and Danielle are a brilliant team- I’ve honestly never seen a team hit so many blind tags and impromptu double teams on their first outing as these two. Brooke also held up her end well, covering for her weaknesses with enough charisma to back up her general aura of starriness. Selina…well, she wasn’t quite so solid as her partner, which is fair enough, but the crowd bought into her pure wrestler schtick really well and it helped cover for her more obvious weaknesses. This one was only ever going to go one way, though, and Danielle took the win by dropping Brooke with the Roaring Elbow whilst Wendy dived across the ring to keep Selina from intervening.

Winners: The Enchantment Express Match Rating: D+

Golden Delicious vs. Jaime Quine

This one just about held together, which is a relief as I’ve got it pencilled in as my other major feud whilst I sort out who’ll challenge for the tag titles on a long-term basis. Golden Delicious is Cat Quine’s protégé, you see, and what with Jaime being Cat’s sister it seemed natural to play up Golden as the jealous former golden child determined to bring Jaime down a peg or two. Credit where it’s due, Goldie did her best, pummelling Jaime unmercifully and screaming ‘Is that Good Enough for you Catherine?’ down the camera after nailing the Melbourne Surprise. Of course, she really should’ve concentrated on actually pinning her opponent, as her preoccupation with Catherine gave Jaime a chance to recover and hit Goldie with a missile dropkick before dropping her with a K.O. Kick for the victory and the All Action title.

Winner: Jaime Quine Match Rating: D

The Foundation vs. The Brendon Sisters

Now this is just getting silly; once again the tag division yielded good chemistry, as JMB and Paige linked up extremely well. Whilst I just know that this is going to come back and bite me in the @ss later on, I won’t complain as long as the tag division continues to deliver good, solid matches like this one. Story-wise, we made this one more about The Foundation, as Jana did her usual cocky act before frantically tagging out to Paige every time it looked like one of the Brendons might do something. Then, every time it looked like Paige had the upper hand, Jana would come back in and try to control things, only for one of the Brendons to pull off a neat trick and claw back the momentum, at which point Jana would tag out, and so on. In the end, though, it didn’t work out for Jana, as Michelle dumped her back into Brendon Country with a turnbuckle German Suplex before tagging in Tracy. One Driving to Idaho later and the Brendons had come away with the victory.

Winners: The Brendon Sisters Match Rating: D

Eve Grunge vs. Grace Harper vs. Emma Bitch vs. Claire Masterson

These four will probably be around our main event for quite a while yet- except for maybe Emma Bitch, and that’s only if she doesn’t improve. With that in mind, the fact that this was one of the best matches of the night was a definite plus point and no mistake, as all four girls combined to deliver a really quite solid piece of work. It probably helped that we had a lot of different styles on display here; Emma handled the brawling, Claire the aerial work and Eve and Grace the technical work, which all added up to a pleasantly varied bit of work. That’s not to say there weren’t problems, though; Emma still can’t bump for sh*t, and neither of the faces could really match up to Emma or Claire in the brawling department, which made for a couple of awkward spots as nobody knew whether to cheer for Claire or Emma when they faced off. In the end, it was a moot point- the second time they faced off, Eve caught them off guard with an O’Connor Roll that bounced them off each other, before Grace Harper dropped her with a Bulldog and hooked Eve’s leg to secure the victory.

Winner: Grace Harper Match Rating: D+

This one was definitely a mixed bag. On the one hand, it was the best match on the card by quite a way. On the other hand, all the good chemistry from the tag division came back to bite us in the @ss here, as Tammy and Steph just don’t work well together. Given that the quality was still there that’s not a huge problem- as long as they continue to deliver good matches for our level chemistry isn’t a deal breaker- but it does raise questions about this one as a long-term feud. After all, with bad chemistry I get the feeling this is the best we can expect from these two, and if our younger talent improves any we might start to see Jaime or Brooke overtaking Tammy or Steph at the top (there’s Grace or Eve as well, of course, but their age and limitations make a sustained run at the very top of the ladder a little unlikely). Ordinarily I’d have gone with Tammy to win this one- we’re married, after all, and politics scores talent every time when it’s as close as these two are on that level- but Vicky overruled me and told me to book Steph in as the winner; she’s a heck of wrestler, and her heel agenda makes for a better feud. So I did as I was told and had Steph go over in spectacular heel fashion; she suckered Tammy into accidentally taking Russ out with a dropkick before unleashing her old friend Gretzky (a hockey stick wrapped in bike chain that Steph’s been using for about ten years). Tammy went down like a sack of spuds, and once Russ was back on his…well, not feet, but back to enough of his senses to slap the mat three times, Steph went for the pin.

Winner: Stephanie Hazel Match Rating: C-

Overall Rating: D+, which is pretty fantastic for a company our size.

So, let's take a look at predictions and see how it went? As always, I'll be running fan questions

MichiganHero: 5/6, and I didn't bring in Talia as I preferred Brooke in that slot

Midnightnick: 3/6

Voeltzwagon: 4/6

So, MichiganHero wins the right to ask a question of any wrestler he chooses this time round, answer to go up roughly 24 hours-ish before the show. Next post going up hopefully pretty soon, depending on how long the show takes me to write.

Great thread. :)

I really like the "booker's analysis" style of write-ups. It's also very useful to me as I'm running a CWWF game myself with a lot of the same workers.

And I also tend to have bad luck with Tamara McFly developing bad chemistry with people I brought her in to feud with. :confused:

Just to say that this dynasty is by no means dead or even dying, it's just a little behind. I lost the most up-to-date version of this dynasty (not the save game, fortunately, just the document), so I've had to write back up to where I was. Expect the next post tomorrow or Wednesday evening.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35614" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">The Indy Round-Up: Canada</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> For the three of you who have been living in a Cave in the far north for the last year and a half, last month saw the debut of the all-new Canadian Women’s Wrestling Federation, owned by Victoria Stone-McFly and run by former NOTBPW and NYCW commentator Hugh Dansigny. Recently we caught up with Mr. Dansigny to talk about his past, his work with CWWF, and his plans for the future.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Firstly, I’d just like to say thanks for agreeing to the interview- this is the first time you’ve agreed to be interviewed in, what, eight or nine years?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> Really? Dang. I know it’s been a while, but I never realised it’d been that long.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Any particular reason for the long break? </strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> It’s really just that I don’t really have a huge amount to say- back in 2005 or 6 or whenever I had the book coming out, so I did a whole bunch of interviews plugging it. Since then I wouldn’t have said I have a huge amount to talk about, really- everything’s either in the book or not worth mentioning, really.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Would it be fair to say that your relationship with the IWC has played a role? You’re famed for the difference of opinion you’ve had with fans over the years</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> You do realise you just cost me twenty bucks, right? Me and Vicky had a bet going on when that would come up. Seriously, though, that’s just one of those things- it’s ludicrous to think of wrestling fans as a single mass, and there have been fans who I’ve gotten on with brilliantly, but I’ll admit that there are sections of the IWC that I will never see eye-to-eye with. But no, I wouldn’t say that’s been a reason behind the lack of interviews.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> I’ve always wondered what lay behind this apathy between you and the IWC- I’d always assumed that the anti-hardcore, anti-DaVE stance you took back in 2004/5 was the major reason, but what’s your take on it?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> That’s pretty much what I’ve always thought as well. Don’t forget, DaVE was a phenomenon back then, and had real diehard fans. So when I happened to voice my opinion, which was simply that hardcore wrestling wasn’t something that had a long-term future, they reacted like I’d threatened to put Vibert out of business myself. And I’ll admit it, my attitude has always been ‘You hate me? I hate you more!’- not the best attitude for dealing with people, but who cares?</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Moving on from there, a lot of your history is fairly common knowledge- of course your autobiography covered your real peak back in the 90’s, and your time with NYCW since the book came out is pretty much public record. One thing I do want to talk about, though, is the takeover of Larry Vessey following the Stomper’s retirement…</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> That, that was a…I won’t say difficult time, because that makes it sound like me and Larry had a problem, but I’ll admit that once Larry came in we both knew I wouldn’t be sticking around long-term. Nothing against Larry, he bought in a lot of great talent and really knows his job, but he’s much more serious than I am in his approach to commentary and my style didn’t fit his vision of what the product ought to be.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Is that why he brought in Ernie Turner?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> One of the reasons, yeah. Ernie’s style is much more conventional than mine was- we’re both traditionally heel commentators, but different kinds of character within that, eh. My thing was always snark, y’know, the wise-@ss on the sidelines who takes the mick out of the faces and is kind of snotty about it. Ernie’s much more the stooge, egging on the heels to beat guys up and that kind of thing. I don’t know if I’m explaining it very well, but what it boils down to is Larry wanted someone to augment the in-ring product, rather than add something additional to the mixture. </p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> I think that makes sense. From the sounds of it, then, you and Larry had no real personal issues, just professional ones?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> More or less. Larry’s a hard-@ss and very easy to fall out with, but I wouldn’t say I had any lasting problems with him. We’d basically come to an agreement when he took over- I’d just re-signed with Stomper in for three years before Larry took over, so we agreed that I’d work to the end of that contract and then leave</p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#008000;"><strong>IRU:</strong></span> I’m guessing that the CWWF offer came at exactly the right time, then.</p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> Yes and no. On the one hand, yeah, my contract would have run out this January, so going straight into a new job without having to worry about that last date or whatever was great. But I’d have found work elsewhere no problem- whatever else there was between me and Larry, he’d given me his word that he’d give me a hand moving on. Doesn’t look good if he just sh*t-cans a guy who hasn’t done anything wrong, after all. I’d kinda figured on going to triple A or trying out for MAW, seeing if they were up for bringing me in, but when the offer came to run CWWF, I figured why not?</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> You and Victoria go back a long way, of course, but what I found really interesting, watching that first show, was you as the announcer. Considering you haven’t handled regular announcing duties for a company since 1995, what inspired that decision?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> It was a cost thing, mostly. Yeah, I’ve not been doing regular announcing for a long, long time, but that’s not to say I’ve done none at all. You look at NYCW, I could name you half a dozen shows I’ve handled announcing on, when Rock’s been sick or Marv Earnest couldn’t make it across from MAW- I actually did about six or seven shows’ worth of announcing back in 2006, though I wouldn’t recommend going back and watching those shows, it wasn’t pretty. So when Vicky suggested I took over announcing, it was…I won’t say I was entirely comfortable, but it wasn’t totally out of left-field.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> So it was Victoria Stone-McFly’s decision?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> Oh yeah. What she said was, and I agreed with this wholesale, I’d become too complacent on colour. You watch my NYCW work, I’m not doing my best work; it’s still good, of course, but if you’ve seen what I’m capable of it’s clear that I’m kind of coasting along. Now, obviously the CWWF was always going to be a different challenge, but Vicky didn’t bring me on to do the same old guff I’ve been since 1997. Now, I figured the logical thing to do was just change my role slightly, maybe play a face, but Vicky had clearly seen more in my occasional stints on the lead mic than I did because she suggested I work the announcer role instead. And Vicky, well, she’s a hard person to say no to.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> For what it’s worth, I thought you were pretty good.</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> Thanks. I’m still figuring it out- I’ve never really had what you’d call a true announcing style, even when I was doing this regularly- but mostly it’s just stylistic stuff I’ve got to adjust to, and there are definitely worst places to work like a company owned by your best friend and employing your wife. </p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> That’s inspired a lot of debate- you’re Victoria’s best friend and running the company, and the top babyface is your wife. </strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> That is typical fan bullsh*t. For a start off, why shouldn’t I be in charge of the company? This is Vicky’s first try and being top dog, of course she wants somebody she trusts alongside her. As for Tammy, she’s a big star with Canadian indy fans, and if you’ve got a problem with that then f*ck you, okay? I really don’t care what people think unless they stop paying money to see us, and most of the guys mouthing off aren’t giving me money anyway, so who cares?</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Strong words there.</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FF8C00;"><strong>Hugh:</strong></span> Yeah, well, that’s me for you. Eh, it’s no big deal, I just get riled up sometimes. No big deal, right?</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> Moving on, what are your plans for CWWF’s future? I’m guessing there’s some kind of big plan, even if it’s very vague at the moment</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> Right now we’re still in what I call the ‘asking questions’ stage of planning- y’know, does this work? How about this? What about this title, what are we going to do with it? The big one, for instance, is how we handle the All Action division; we’ve got a lot of tag teams in action, and I don’t know how to balance the two titles out so they both get some focus and attention. </p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> We’re almost out of time but we’ve got one final question for you: do you have any specific long-term goals for CWWF? Where do you see the company in a year’s time?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> I honestly try to never think too far ahead with a company this size- focus on the long-term and you suddenly find yourself with a dozen short-term problems you hadn’t noticed before. But in an ideal world, in a year the CWWF will be on a firm footing, expanding its fanbase and establishing itself as one of the premier wrestling companies in Canada. And hopefully I’ll still be working there, but let’s face it that’s by no means a guarantee, eh?</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">IRU:</span></strong><strong> You said it, Hugh, not us. That’s all we’ve got time for, so we’ll wrap things up tonight by reminding everyone that you can catch CWWF on the last Friday of the month at the Yorkton Pavilion for their next show Fly By Night. ‘Til next month, then, goodbye and support independent wrestling</strong></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> ***</p><p> </p><p> Card for CWWF Fly By Night</p><p> </p><p> FOR THE CWWF ALL CANADA TITLE</p><p> Grace Harper vs. Stephanie Hazel ©</p><p> </p><p> Tamara McFly vs. Claire Masterson</p><p> </p><p> Eve Grunge vs. Emma Bitch</p><p> </p><p> FOR THE CWWF TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p> The Brendon Sisters vs. The A-List ©</p><p> </p><p> The Enchantment Express vs. The Foundation</p><p> </p><p> Jaime Quine and Lilly & Rose vs. Golden Delicious and Can-Am Assassins</p>

Card for CWWF Fly By Night

Grace Harper vs. Stephanie Hazel ©

Tamara McFly vs. Claire Masterson

Eve Grunge vs. Emma Bitch

The Brendon Sisters vs. The A-List ©

The Enchantment Express vs. The Foundation

Jaime Quine and Lilly & Rose vs. Golden Delicious and Can-Am Assassins

<p>FOR THE CWWF ALL CANADA TITLE</p><p>

Grace Harper vs. <strong>Stephanie Hazel ©</strong></p><p>

<em>No changes this early.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tamara McFly</strong> vs. Claire Masterson</p><p>

<em>Top Face goes over.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Eve Grunge vs. <strong>Emma Bitch</strong></p><p>

<em>She's currently more over, and more of a proven commodity.</em></p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE CWWF TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

The Brendon Sisters vs. <strong>The A-List ©</strong></p><p>

<em>Just keep on establishing the champs.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Enchantment Express</strong> vs. The Foundation</p><p>

<em>Until Paige Croft's attitude gets in check, she's not going to reach the top.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jaime Quine and Lilly & Rose</strong> vs. Golden Delicious and Can-Am Assassins</p><p>

<em>The assassins will pay their dues, while Jaime Quine continues getting established.</em></p>

<p>FOR THE CWWF ALL CANADA TITLE</p><p>

<strong>Grace Harper</strong> vs. Stephanie Hazel ©</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tamara McFly</strong> vs. Claire Masterson</p><p> </p><p>

Eve Grunge vs. <strong>Emma Bitch</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The Brendon Sisters vs. <strong>The A-List ©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Enchantment Express</strong> vs. The Foundation</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jaime Quine and Lilly & Rose</strong> vs. Golden Delicious and Can-Am Assassins</p>

<p>Card for CWWF Fly By Night</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE CWWF ALL CANADA TITLE</p><p>

Grace Harper vs. <strong>Stephanie Hazel</strong> ©</p><p>

<em>Seems a bit too early for the champ to lose, but Harper would certainly be someone you could give the belt to</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tamara McFly</strong> vs. Claire Masterson</p><p>

<em>Masterson is one for the future, but McFly is a bit too talented/over to lose here</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Eve Grunge</strong> vs. Emma Bitch</p><p>

<em>Grunge starts out nicely over in Canada and Bitch is a huge pain generally speaking. This one is pretty close, but I pick the one that is less of a pain to deal with</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Brendon Sisters vs. <strong>The A-List</strong> ©</p><p>

<em>A-list is a really talented tag team, no real sense to dropping the belts here</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Enchantment Express vs. <strong>The Foundation</strong></p><p>

<em>JMB and Croft are both...interesting...personalities, but they are both quite talented. Anderson takes the fall to protect Sweetheart who is one for the future</em></p><p> </p><p>

Jaime Quine and Lilly & Rose vs. <strong>Golden Delicious and Can-Am Assassins </strong></p><p>

<em>Heels go over to keep the Quine/Delicious feud interesting.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Enjoying the diary so far, keep up the good work!</p>

Card for CWWF Fly By Night

Grace Harper vs. Stephanie Hazel ©

Eve Grunge vs. Emma Bitch

The Brendon Sisters vs. The A-List ©

The Enchantment Express vs. The Foundation

Jaime Quine and Lilly & Rose vs. Golden Delicious and Can-Am Assassins

Show will be going up tomorrow night folks, so there's plenty of time to get predictions in. In the meantime, here's the fan question courtesy of MichiganHero

To Selina Svelte the Tag Team Extraordinaire: Does it feel weird to be part of a new team in CWWF whilst you and Talia still team in AAA?

Selina: Not so much as you'd expect. Simple truth is, me and Brooke work in one way and me and Talia in another. The mark of a truly great wrestler is the ability to adapt to a range of situations, and I'm a truly great wrestler.

CWWF Fly By Night

Live to DVD from the Yorkton Pavilion

Friday, Week 4, February 2013

Audience: 162

The Show

Emma Bitch vs. Eve Grunge

This match exemplified the reason I’ve got no long-term plans for Emma Bitch here- she really wasn’t good here, and whilst the match was still pretty good I’d expect more from two of our top stars. That’s not to say it was all Emma’s fault, though; sure, she was coasting the whole time, and can’t bump for toffee, but Eve was gasping just as much as she was by the end of the match. To be fair, though, both Eve and Emma did a good job keeping the crowd engaged with the action, and whilst Emma sure as hell doesn’t bump like a star she still looks like one, which always helps. As for the action, this was all power vs. technique, with Emma trying to keep things unsophisticated and physical whilst Eve responded by trying to take Emma to the mat and work her over there. In the end it was Eve who won out, reversing Emma’s attempt at a lariat into the Violet Dream and forcing her opponent to tap out.

Winner: Eve Grunge Match Rating: D

It’s promo time, as we head backstage to hear from Eve Grunge

“Ello Ello Ello CWWF fans, it’s your old pal Grace Harper here, and I’ve got me a real groovy set-to tonight. Steph Hazel, you’ve been shooting off on Vicky Stone a lot, saying how you’re going to take her down and burn this company to ashes, but I’ve got to ask…why? Seriously, that’s really harsh. Okay, so you and Vicky are enemies, every wrestling fan in Canada knows that, but is that really worth industrial-level arson?

“Tonight, though, you’re going to need to focus on one of the finest wrestlers in the whole of the gosh-darn business, Old School Grace Harper. And I don’t play nice with bad little bunnies like you, Steph. Play Hard or Play Home, sister, ‘cos it’s Harper time”

I have to admit that I don’t really get Grace’s character- the ‘Old School’ thing works better in the ring than on the mic, and writing for her’s not easy- but this worked well enough to get the crowd going.

Enchantment Express vs. The Foundation

This was a solid bout, not up to the level of Express/Assassins from last month but that might have been a fluke, and in any case neither Paige nor JMB are a match for Brooke and Selina. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both solid wrestlers, but Jana ain’t so consistent, and Paige’s attitude means she rarely gives it everything she’s got. Mind you, the Express aren’t that amazing individually either; they’ve both got a lot of potential, and Danielle already has a lot of upside, but Wendy’s still a work in progress. Ultimately, though, that didn’t really have a lot of impact on this match, which was heavy on the double-teams and rapid-fire tags (one of the advantages of good chemistry; even when the teams only just met last month they still rule). In the end The Enchantment Express got the win, Wendy downing Paige with the Flying Cross Body whilst Danielle blocked JMB from breaking the fall.

Winners: Enchantment Express Match Rating: D

After the match Danielle grabs a mic

“Yo, Victoria Stone! Me and Wendy, we got a request to make. See, I figure me and her, we’re two for two in this company, we deserve something a little special next month at Caress of Steel”

Naturally enough, Victoria stands up at the commentary desk (which, thanks to the vagaries of the building, is set up on a balcony overlooking the ring; don’t blame me, blame Yorkton architects)

“I’m listening, Danielle- like you said, The Enchantment Express have a winning record, that buys you listening time from me.”

“Here’s what I’m thinking, and feel free to cut me off anytime here, but here’s the thing- Lilly & Rose, they got a shot at the belts, Brendon sisters got a shot at the belt, why not us next? Hey, I ain’t got nothing ‘gainst the others, anyone doesn’t respect Trace and Mich is gonna a face full of whup-ass, but it’s gotta be our turn soon, right Wendy?”

“Dang Right, Dani.”

“You know what? You’re right. Two for two in tag competition, and these aren’t just any two teams. You want the champs, you got it. Next month, at Caress of Steel, it’s going to be either The Brendon Sisters or The A-List versus Enchantment Express!”

Wendy really isn’t a natural on the mic (hence her contribution being limited to three words and some nodding) but Dani and Vicky are both really solid and carried the segment.

Golden Delicious & Can-Am Assassins vs. Jaime Quine & Lilly & Rose

This was a step-down from the last few matches, but hey, any matches featuring so many comparative rookies is going to struggle. Especially when the closest thing to a veteran in the ring is Golden Delicious; she’s a decent worker but no ring general, and was never going to be able to hold this one together on her own. It also didn’t help that the other star worker in this match, Jaime Quine, needs to stay as strong as possible to avoid devaluing the title, which meant that she spent most of her time either on the apron or on the offensive, which doesn’t do a lot for Selina or Brooke. As for Kate and Debbie, I’m quietly moving them down the card- nothing against them, but with Dani and Wendy’s chemistry and the Brendon Sisters’ experience Lilly & Rose are the natural jobber team on the face side. They’re slightly stronger workers than the Assassins at this stage- Brooke’s still learning the nuts and bolts of calling a match, and Selina’s been wrestling for less than a year- but long-term I see both teams evening out at the same level of talent. In any case, team bad guy took this one, as Golden Delicious rammed Kate Lilly’s head into an exposed turnbuckle whilst Brooke and Selina distracted the ref with an impromptu back-jump of Jaime and Debbie.

Winners: Golden Delicious & Can-Am Assassins Match Rating: D-

The A-List vs. The Brendon Sisters

This was exactly what you’d expect from these four wrestlers; an entertaining, high-energy bout that stepped things up a notch from the six-woman tag. It’s also worth pointing out that this was the first tag match we’ve ever had that Vicky didn’t script, as all four of these girls are fully capable of calling it in the ring. Michelle called most of the traffic- she’s one of our strongest ring generals, after all- but Tracy did her bit early on, and Demelza and Nadia dictated the heat section, where they were able to isolate Tracy and work her over in an effort to secure the victory. Naturally it didn’t go all their way- Tracy has fighting spirit to spare, and Michelle was on hand to break the falls- but for the most part the champions were able to control things. Eventually, though, they miscalculated, and a missed Super Kick from Demelza gave Tracy a chance to roll across the ring and bring in her big sister. Of course Michelle tossed the A-List around like ragdolls and it wasn’t long before she’d tagged Tracy in to set up for Driving to Idaho, but at that point The Foundation made their presence felt. JMB took Tracy off the top rope with a kick to her legs, whilst Paige dropped Michelle with a chop block, allowing Nadia to get a pinfall on Tracy, securing the victory for the A-List.

Winners: The A-List Match Rating: D+

This wasn’t up to the standard of Tammy’s last match, but it’s important to remember that our main event punches way above its weight and this was still pretty top-drawer for a company our size. Insofar as there was a problem here, it was largely with Claire; she’s a very solid worker but not the best we’ve got by any stretch of the imagination, and even without bad chemistry she can’t match up to Steph’s work in the ring. As for Tammy, she’s one of the best we’ve got and easily our top star but she can’t carry someone who hasn’t got the technique to work with her, and Claire’s more of a high flier than a technician. In fairness that did make for a good storyline, though, even if it was the usual Claire tries to fly, Tammy keeps her grounded routine. At least this one had a couple of interesting variations, including the first ever diving back rake I can remember seeing and Tammy’s reversal of a missile dropkick into an ankle lock. Although Claire was able to wriggle free of the hold her weakened ankle put her at a severe disadvantage, and a weak attempt at a flying cross body was quickly reversed into a McFly Roll to secure the victory for Tammy.

Winner: Tamara McFly Match Rating: D+

Grace Harper vs. Stephanie Hazel

In terms of how I’d have wanted the night to go this was precisely what I’d hoped for. Okay, so this was a pretty sure bet- Steph’s a real talent, and whilst Grace isn’t quite on her or Tammy’s level she’s got the charisma and fundamentals to really deliver in a match like this. Overall, though, I’m glad we didn’t go with Grace as our top heel straight out of the gate; for all this was a good match it wasn’t noticeably better than Steph/Tammy last month, and that had poor chemistry dragging it down. Plus there’s the slight issue of Grace’s potential retirement: she’s not showing her age or any of the usual signs that she’s going to hang the boots up, but at 38 she can only last so much longer without starting to think about retiring, and that makes her a little unreliable as a top babyface. I mean, we could put her in the top slot now and run with it ‘til she retired, but I want CWWF’s inaugural marquee feud to be a long-runner, and Grace’s potential retirement would kind of undercut that. As for tonight, this match is filed under wrestling clinic, as both women exchanged holds in an effort to take home the victory (which is weird, as neither of them uses a submission hold for their finisher). In the end, though, Steph was able to take home the victory, ramming Grace head-first into the corner before nailing the Axe Kick for the win.

Winner: Stephanie Hazel Match Rating: C-

Overall Rating: C-, an upward trend from January.

Another show down, let's see how the predictions went this time.

MichiganHero: 5/6

Regis: 4/6

Midnightnick: 4/6

Falcon21: 5/6

Voeltzwagon: 3/6

So, it's the turn of MichiganHero and Falcon21 with the chance at fan questions this week, with the usual proviso that since Selina's already been asked one you can't fire on her way.

Next post will be up sometime soon, hopefully Saturday or Sunday (which given my usual schedule means Monday).

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh wasn’t quite sure if it counted as irony or not, but there was definitely something amusing about the CWWF business model. Theoretically the company was run out of Yorkton, but given Vicky’s travel schedule with NOTBPW and Hugh’s utter refusal to do any work the company tended to be run from the nearest Tim Horton’s to wherever North of the Border were running their shows, over drinks (Apple Cinnamon Tea for Vicky, Coffee for Hugh) and two huge boxes of doughnuts (Honey Dip Tim bits for Vicky, Boston Cream for Hugh). If pushed, Hugh was willing to concede that made them both sound like an appalling Canadian stereotype (especially when the TV was playing an Ice Hockey game), but then doughnuts, so who really cared?

“This is why I love Canada, Hugh- Tim Hortons doughnuts and Ice Hockey. I mean, seriously, is anything in life better than this?”

Of course, it was also worth pointing out that Vicky pretty much was an appalling Canadian stereotype.

“I can’t actually believe I’m saying this, Vicky, but maybe we should actually focus on, y’know, getting some work done?”

“You’re only saying that ‘cos the Maple Leafs are losing. I’m telling you, Hugh, this year’s Stanley Cup is totally going to the Canadiens, you’re just gonna have to face facts”

This was a long-standing argument of theirs; Halifax not being noted for it’s sports teams, Hugh and Vicky had latched onto other teams when it came to the NHL. And, being the pair they inevitably always would be, they’d latched onto bitter rivals.

“Firstly, The Maple Leafs have plenty of time to come back this season, they just need a couple of lucky breaks. And secondly, the Montreal Canadiens suck and always will. Now can we please get some work done? I feel like this is Freaky Friday except the doughnut preferences have stayed in place”

“Okay, okay. Seriously, Hugh, have you any idea how easy it is to freak you out? If I’d known all I had to do was avoid work and talk hockey I’d have been doing it a lot earlier”

“Considering you’ve been doing it since about two days after we first met, there’s not a lot sooner you could’ve started Vicky. And anyways, the only reason I want to get on with this stupid meeting is so I can go back to concentrating on the game and taunt you when the Maple Leafs inevitably triumph en route to the Stanley Cup.”

“I’d say in your dreams, Hugh, but that might lead us somewhere bad so we’re just gonna have to move on. So, how’s it looking for CWWF?”

“Pretty solid- we’ve turned profit two months on the trot, so that’s a definite plus. Storyline-wise, I’m not so sure. I mean, they’re working, and we’ve got enough of them on the go that we can take it if one of them goes wrong, but I’m not sure if we’ve got enough of them to properly work yet”

“What’s the issue? Or is this another one of your crazy, I’m-a-god-why-aren’t-you-cheering-me things?”

“Heat, mostly. People aren’t getting into them as much as they should be. Okay, so Tammy/Steph’s still going off that angle at the end of Fly By Night, but people just aren’t talking about our storylines anywhere near as much as they should be”

“So it is an I’m-a-god thing. Look, Hugh, you’re a fanatic, and like every fanatic I’ve ever met you start thinking something’s wrong with people if they don’t agree with you. Leave it, okay? People are gonna get into it or they’re not, and I’m afraid we can’t force them to like stuff just because we do”

“Don’t see why not, we know better than them…anyway, I’ve got the plan for Caress of Steel, since you don’t think the feud thing is a problem”

“Sure, go ahead. Don’t forget, though, we’re going out Thursday this month, what with Tammy working 5 Star’s tour.”

“Don’t remind me, Tammy’s already indicated her opinion of our schedules. Honestly, Vicky, don’t you think you could skip the North of the Border tapings one or twice?”

“Not gonna happen, Hugh, what’s the plan for C of S?”

Hugh filed that away for future reference- Vicky might be very good at keeping her mouth shut and avoiding difficult topics but subtlety wasn’t her strong point and Hugh just knew she was hiding something.

“Okay, no worries. Main event, I’m thinking tag match. We’ve done Steph/Tammy, we did the alternates and run-in, now we hit up the tag match, Steph and Claire against Tammy and Grace”

“That’s one of your classic plays, Hugh, but it works. What’re we gonna do for the semi-main, though? We’re not exactly flush with stars, you know”

“We’ve got a couple of options there. Eve is taking on Golden Delicious, which is pretty much just make-work for both of them, or we’ve got Emma taking on Jaime with the All Action title on the line”

“You do know Emma’s going to flip if she loses again, right?”

“Tell her if she learns to bump then she’ll start winning, but ‘til then I’m not promising her anything. Okay, so she’s good, but she’s not top star good.”

“I think I’ll leave that part out when I talk to her. I’m guessing we’ve got the tag title match you set up last month, as well.”

“Yeah, Wendy and Danielle versus The A-List, with an option to turn this one into a feud if it works out okay. Which it better, Lilly & Rose need some seasoning before they move back into contention and the Brendons are otherwise engaged.”

“We’re following that up, right? This thing with the Foundation only just kicked off last month, we need to bed it down before people forget about it”

“Vicky, I’m not stupid, ‘kay? Paige and Michelle are booked in for this card, and I’ll probably have Jana or Tracy making the run-in as well. Not sure about that, though- we’ve got Can-Am Assassins taking on Lilly & Rose for the final match and I don’t want to book someone just to do the run-in.”

“Fair enough, though I figure we can take the hit if it comes to it. Anything else I need to know about, then, or can we knock this on the head and get back to the doughnuts?”

In all honesty there were half a dozen things Hugh could do to bring up with Vickie. Long-term planning, potential extra signings, what to do if they had to move shows to Wednesday and she couldn’t make it (which was looking extremely likely if they got any more of the girls picked up). But then, doughnuts and coffee.

“No worries, Vicky, there’s nothing else I can’t handle. We’re gonna need more Boston Creams, though”

Card for CWWF Caress of Steel:

Grace Harper & Tamara McFly vs. Stephanie Hazel & Claire Masterson

FOR THE CWWF ALL-ACTION TITLE

Jaime Quine © vs. Emma Bitch

Enchantment Express vs. The A-List ©

Eve Grunge vs. Golden Delicious

Michelle Brendon vs. Paige Croft

Lilly & Rose vs. Can-Am Assassins

Card for CWWF Caress of Steel:

Gotta go for the Faces.

Go, champ go!

Hold them belts.

She's a solid talent, while Eve needs to do some work before she gets anywhere.

Don't reward people for being dicks.

Yeah, give these guys a win.

Archived