Question about Pure style and gimmicks

I haven't played with pure style feds at all before because I don't really enjoy running shows with 100% match ratios.

So yesterday was the first time I tried playing with PGHW. As per usual when I start a new game, I hired a bunch of new guys. Most of them had their gimmicks set to "none", which I ddn't bother to change since I imagine gimmicks aren't really necessary in a pure fed. A few of them had gimmicks but I made sure they were all either "Realistic", or "Legitimate" type.

After I run my shows I looked through the roster and realized that all of my new workers have horrible ratings for their gimmicks, the highest being 'C'. I'm not surprised that the gimmicked workers fared badly, but even those with gimmicks set to 'none' had horrible ratings like D or C-. On the default roster, most of the workers have 'B-' ratings for having no gimmicks (a few actually had A-A* gimmick ratings), so I'm not sure why the new workers fared this badly.

So my question is, should I be concerned about those ratings at all? I know that pure style ignores the face-heel issues altogether, and that wrestling skill takes priority over everything else, but do gimmick ratings still play a factor in my segment ratings? Will a worker with F gimmick rating drag down my match grades? If so, how can i get better gimmick ratings. I'd though no gimmicks was the way to go, but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Thanks.

If I recall rightly, the gimmick rating will still have an affect.

I'm not sure why you'd be getting bad gimmick ratings, you would normally get a neutral value for gimmickless workers in a pure promotion. The only thing I could think is that the workers might not have good ratings for realistic or legit gimmicks, and that would be affecting it. You may want to try with a worker who does have high gimmick ratings for those categories.

I just did a check, and almost all my new workers are 'good' at Legitimate gimmicks. Workers aren't rated in 'realistic' or 'gimmicky' performance, so there's no way to judge if anyone is good at realistic gimmicks that I can see (unless it's the same as legit).

Also, does having 'none' as gimmick benefit those with better Ligit performances too? Because most of my workers debuted without gimmicks anyway, so I'm not sure their gimmick performance abilities matter.

I just debuted 2 more new workers....still horrible ratings. Hitomaro Suzuki (rated good at Legit gimmicks) debuted with no gimmicks.....and got an E for ratings.

And weirdly, the one guy who's only "Medium" at Legit gimmicks actually had the best (but only average) rating so far: Champagne Lover, Gaijin (realistic) gimmick, C+.

Is this some sort of bug, or am I just plain jinxed? :/

Assuming there were no road agent notes highlighting reasons why the gimmick was punished, the effectiveness of no gimmick should be a neutral B- unless the company's style indicates that gimmicks should be used, in which case it will get a lower value. I would suggest that you check that you are actually using no gimmick (and not No Gimmicks Needed, which isn't the same thing), and check that the style of the promotion. If all that is correct, then I have no idea why you'd be getting lower ratings.

Any actual gimmick, irrespective of whether it is Realistic or Legitimate, will flop in a Pure promotion.

I would suggest that you check that you are actually using no gimmick (and not No Gimmicks Needed, which isn't the same thing), and check that the style of the promotion.

As I specifically stated, most of my new workers have their initial gimmicks set to 'none' and i didn't change them.

As for promotion style, in TEW05 it's not even possible for the player to make minor alterations to promotion styles, so unless there's something wrong with the initial data I downloaded from GDS, PGHW has to be pure.

TEW05 doesn't make clear-cut statements on whether specific promotion styles encourages or discourages gimmicks, but since ALL my new workers are getting low ratings irregardless of whether or not they have gimmicks, that's probably a moot point. There's definitely something wrong here......

This is the first time I've ever encountered this problem though, and I've played this for a few years. My current game is a multi-player one, and PGHW seems to be the only one that's afflicted by this......

As I specifically stated, most of my new workers have their initial gimmicks set to 'none' and i didn't change them.

You wrote "debuted with no gimmicks" in your last post; I was simply checking that it was a typo and you weren't getting the two mixed up. You wouldn't be the first person to have thought No Gimmicks Needed was a statement, not a type of gimmick.

As for promotion style, in TEW05 it's not even possible for the player to make minor alterations to promotion styles, so unless there's something wrong with the initial data I downloaded from GDS, PGHW has to be pure.debuted with no gimmicks

Again, I'm simply checking all avenues; it's not impossible that you had changed the database at some point and simply forgotten, it certainly wouldn't be the first time such a simple explanation had been the case.

There's definitely something wrong here......

Yes, it seems so. Unfortunately you're very limited in what you can do about it given what version you're using, so you would likely be best of using the editor to give them a B- rating (if that's possible, I can't remember whether TEW05 allows that) or avoiding using pure promotions entirely.

Yes, it seems so. Unfortunately you're very limited in what you can do about it given what version you're using, so you would likely be best of using the editor to give them a B- rating (if that's possible, I can't remember whether TEW05 allows that) or avoiding using pure promotions entirely.

Yeah, I guess that's my best option.

It also just occurred to me that maybe importing new gimmicks into the data could have messed up how the game reads them, but then again this doesn't seem to affect my Hybrid fed, which actually seems to automatically give B- grades to 'none' gimmicks, so it does seem like only the pure fed is buggy somehow. :/

Thanks for your replies.

Archived