I admit I can't stand the current NBA and don't watch it at all. So I may need to do some research on how the salary cap works in the NBA.

I have been trying to get a true hard salary cap. Where teams cannot go over the cap.

I've adjusted the cap and exemptions in the csv file and changed all player salaries in the player csv file to -1. All that happens is player salaries go up or down depending upon what I set the cap at. I still end up with about 80% of the teams over the cap.

Is a true hard cap not possible or am I not getting the settings correct? Maybe I should try removing the exemptions?

100% hard cap doesn't work right now. If you use the hard cap finances setting then teams will still be able to sign players for the minimum if they are over the cap but teams should stay near the cap. 100% hard cap would require a way to clear cap space by releasing players. Since any contract over the minimum is considered to be guaranteed, you can't just cut players like in the NFL.

"100% hard cap doesn't work right now."

Does this mean you will eventually be getting to this so we can have a true hard cap?

"Since any contract over the minimum is considered to be guaranteed..."

Will there be an option later on where we can turn on/off guaranteed contracts? I don't know, did they have guaranteed contracts back in the 60s/70s?

For now, sounds like the only way I could get something close is to set up a league with a lower cap than I want, export those salaries, start a new league with the cap where I want it and import the previous salaries.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be cool.

Personally when I would eventually play this pro game, I wouldn't want to follow actual NBA salary structure at all. (Actually I don't even know what it is, since I don't watch it anymore.)

I would like to use a true hard cap and lower the cap significantly.

I don't know if you want to make the guaranteed contracts an all or nothing option thou. Should be something in the middle as well. A buyout clause type of thing. Maybe a drop down similar to the injuries or Academic Suspensions in the college game? Yes, No, and 10% to 90%.

It's not possible right now as far as I can see. One of the complications is that team budget is based in part on salary cap (so you can't just set a hard cap incredibly high or at 0); a quick fix would be to have a "no cap" option in which a cap is still set, it just doesn't stop teams spending.

Archived