HYPE: NBA Draft Files 1950-2012

Hello all! :D Being a huge NBA/NCAA basketball geek and collector of old sports annuals, I've decided to try working on draft files for FBPB, perhaps from 1950 onwards.

Still not sure how everything will play out, but the goal here is to open up more possibilities, e.g. what if early '60s Boston first-rounder Bill Green overcame his fear of flying and played in the NBA? (He was a predecessor of sorts to Royce White.) Or what if Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, etc., didn't get lured by the bigger bucks of the ABA and got drafted in the first round of the NBA Draft as they should have ideally been? What if Sherman White, Bill Spivey, etc. weren't banned from the NBA for point-shaving scandals? What if some of the more talented college stars of the '50s and '60s didn't opt for the AAU over the NBA?

In most cases, my resources would be those vintage basketball annuals, and for the raw numbers, Sports Reference's NCAA basketball site, which has most Division I teams' individual stats from 1966 onwards.

Can't promise how quickly I'll have everything completed, but I hope something could come out of this! :D

This sounds like an excellent project good luck looking forward to it

Thanks for the support! :D

Currently, my main non-work related priority is my TEW 2013 diary. And I also have an important project at work due next weekend. But to give an update on how things have been going, I've been doing some testing on the 1967 rookies. Still trying to figure out why #2 pick Earl "The Pearl" Monroe (ridiculously high numbers in a Division II school, 40+ ppg), who eventually made the Basketball Hall of Fame, is rated much better than #1 pick Jimmy Walker, who averaged 30 ppg for Division I Providence and had a good, though not great NBA career. Might have to tweak some of the ratings manually. The ratings gap shouldn't be that great between the two, I'd say. (They're both shooting guards, BTW.)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the support! :D

Currently, my main non-work related priority is my TEW 2013 diary. And I also have an important project at work due next weekend. But to give an update on how things have been going, I've been doing some testing on the 1967 rookies. Still trying to figure out why #2 pick Earl "The Pearl" Monroe (ridiculously high numbers in a Division II school, 40+ ppg), who eventually made the Basketball Hall of Fame, is rated much better than #1 pick Jimmy Walker, who averaged 30 ppg for Division I Providence and had a good, though not great NBA career. Might have to tweak some of the ratings manually. The ratings gap shouldn't be that great between the two, I'd say. (They're both shooting guards, BTW.)

I haven't really dug into the ratings on the game yet to develop rookies like this but am interested in what you find out. As you get further into the development that would be fun to hear about what you are finding out.

While the Sonics dream of returning seems to have gone south due to that scumbag David Stern, this game is getting me back into enjoying basketball a bit again.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, some updates! :D

As I'm planning to start my own FBPB diary, I've tried playing around with the draft files a bit, and found it to be a real time-saver to start a dummy season, sim up to training camp, then export the draft files. Still, what's to do about players like Bill Bradley, for instance? Bradley was drafted in 1965 but only debuted in the NBA in the 1967-68 season, which is why he shows up as part of the stock 1967 draft class on FBPB. If I include him in the Class of '65 (and not '67) and someone starts up a game in 1966-67 using my 1967 draft file for the upcoming year's Draft, does that mean Bradley won't show up at all in the game in any form, or will he become available in 1967 as a free agent? Or will he automatically turn up on the New York Knicks' lineup (his NBA team) once the '67-68 season begins? Might need to do some more testing for historical classes.

Other examples of the above scenario include Larry Bird (drafted in 1978, debuted in the 1979-80 season) and David Robinson (drafted in 1987, debuted in 1989-90). Went with the Bradley example because I'm planning to play as the expansion Chicago Bulls or San Diego Rockets in the '60s.

In the meantime, I'm trying my luck with a 2013 draft class, and have created entries for Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, Otto Porter, Ben McLemore and Anthony Bennett so far. Chances are that might be the first draft file I'd share as part of this project.

• 2 months later...

<p>^Hang tight! I've actually started missing FBPB (though I'm currently part of an online league) and wanting to explore the nuances of player editing and creation a little more once again, and while I can't promise anything, I hope to have a draft file or two done before the end of the month. Been chipping away on various draft classes whenever I have time. However, my main GDS focus, at this moment, remains my TEW 2013 diary.</p><p> </p><p>

Keep up the good work on the FBPB diaries/dynasties, by the way! Interesting thing you've got going with the Philadelphia Warriors...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="3rdStringPG" data-cite="3rdStringPG" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35829" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>...Can't promise anything, I hope to have a draft file or two done before the end of the month. Been chipping away on various draft classes whenever I have time. However, my main GDS focus, at this moment, remains my TEW 2013 diary.</div></blockquote><p> That's good news! Of course your focus should be on your TEW Diary, I've been lurking in your diary for a while.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35829" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Keep up the good work on the FBPB diaries/dynasties, by the way! Interesting thing you've got going with the Philadelphia Warriors...</div></blockquote><p> And thanks for the kind words about my Warriors! Gonna update that dynasty in a little bit once I manage to get my Photobucket updated.</p>

Archived