Trading at the moment is basically a non existent function. It is pretty much useless because anything reasonable you send is always rejected. So unless you want to give away everything you wont be getting much in return. I think i have not got a decent offer accepted so far and it is not because my offers are unfair.

Also the offers you get from them are pathetic to say the least. This needs to be tweaked.

Teams should also consider their roster depth, salary cap and needs. Which means they could accept a lower offer if it improves their cap and satisfies their needs. OOTP is a great game to see how their trading works

I'm happy to take a look at any trade that anyone feels should or shouldn't go through. Just send or post the save for me and let me know the details of the trade and I'll take a look at the full calculations to see what is happening. I'll also likely make a trade difficulty setting as well. Teams absolutely consider the effect on their roster. They will take less in trade if they are gaining cap room than if it has no affect on their cap. There are a ton of things to consider so it might not be obvious why they are rejecting a trade. That is why I'll take a look at anything you guys would like.

I was trying to offload Elgin Baylor for virtually everyone and anyone. He was just 29y old at the time and scoring 19p per game + was an all star. You would expect that someone would accept an offer for him. I litterally tried every team and sent a good 10-12 offers. None were accepted and even worse i was getting the :

"You must give a substantial more..............." message in the pop up which means i was miles away. I think a trade difficulty thing would be great or an option to "shop" him around for any team which is interested to save time.

I think part of the problem might be that the AI does probably over-value cap space a little, to the point where even if they're taking on decent contracts and still have substantial space remaining they will balk at almost any deal that sees them take on a contract without offloading someone else.

It's not a bad thing per se, and it's actually one of the biggest flaws in most competing games - cap space barely comes into the equation if at all so unless a contract is truly abysmal you can easily ditch it, and the tactic for 'powergaming' types is at times to deliberately ditch some average players on a team to prevent them from making a max offer etc. - but when even a reasonable contract regularly practically annuls the value of a player unless you take trash back, that's a bit much.

Example of this: I'm currently just before the 2015 draft, I've got a 23-year-old Derrick Favors with two years remaining on a MLE deal, he's green ability/blue potential, and if I were to trade him straight-up to someone for a pick the best I'd be able to do is 22nd overall. It might be worth either toning it down a tad (and again, I don't think it's that bad and you can still put together some decent trades once you recognise how important the budget is to team decision-making, it's just slightly excessive).

Well, I wrote all that, and now while I still can't trade any of my youngsters, I acquired an aging Jared Dudley who Phoenix wanted shot of (traded Jarrett Jack, #26 and three 2nds for Dudley and #12) and his value seems practically infinite - I can make any trade as long as the salaries match and Dudley's involved . So, I don't even know now (although I suspect it's probably a separate issue!!).

Well for me cap space does not seem to be an issue. I usually offer a direct offer for someone of the same cap. I think age probably plays a massive role. I can never trade lets say someone which is 30y old for someone which is 3-4 years younger, even if his skills are better and cap is the same

Yup. In another game i play they have values ranging for:

Draft picks

Veterans

Draft picks

Cap space

Overall skills

Needs

So you can decide where the AI will put more focus on. There is also an overall difficulty in trades. At the moment though i would say that trading is at very difficult.

I think my ultimate plan will be to have a trade AI section under league options with options for overall trade difficulty along with settings for how the cpu values cap room, youth, draft picks, etc.

Will frequency be an option too? I get plenty of trade offers from the AI, but have yet to see a single AI-to-AI trade in years of play.

Archived