The Music Thread

RKOwnage

• 1 month later...
This is way happier sounding than any song about drug trafficking, HIV/Aids, and heroin use has any right to be, but Beebs and Her Money Makers did an amazing cover of "Waterfalls" by TLC. I love Beebs voice.

I see Ska bands are as fun and weird as ever.

Lately I've been obsessed with Sabaton, they're the only power metal band I've heard that don't bother with high fantasy. Instead, they make badass songs about badass moments from history (mostly World War 2).

<p>All right, guess it's my turn. Bon Jovi is my favorite band, but I pretty much have a new favorite song every week. I also love:</p><p> </p><p>

Slipknot</p><p>

Metallica</p><p>

Protest the Hero</p><p>

Disturbed</p><p>

Eminem (everyone from my gen does)</p><p>

10 Years</p><p>

Lil Wayne (my guilty pleasure; Green & Yellow ftw)</p><p>

Toby Keith & Johnny Cash (the only good country ever; what is the junk today)</p><p>

Peroxwhy?gen (huge Jeff Hardy fan, but you already knew that)</p><p>

Ghost</p><p>

The Doors (mainly b/c I kick arse at singing Hello I Love You)</p>

<p>How could I ignore a music thread for so long?</p><p> </p><p>

My favorite genre(s) are Death and Black Metal, some Prog-stuff (Dream Theater) and the usual suspects, Iron Maiden, Metallica (first four albums, their new stuff can, to a guy who listens to metal since 1987, go eff right off).</p><p> </p><p>

Some of my all-time favorite bands:</p><p> </p><p>

Morbid Angel</p><p>

Nile</p><p>

Vader</p><p>

Monstrosity</p><p>

Pestilence</p><p>

Napalm Death</p><p>

Bolt Thrower</p><p>

Death (once again and still, RIP Chuck!!)</p><p>

Slayer (more RIP for Jeff Hannemann)</p><p>

(old) Metallica</p><p>

Dream Theater</p><p>

...and the list goes on and on.</p><p> </p><p>

As a totally blatant self-hype, here's a song from my former band Deny the Urge -

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/_kLZkQsPFGQ?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Deny the Urge - The Awakening"></iframe></div></div> - used to do vocals for Death Metal bands over 16 years, but brain tumor surgery (twice, actually, and everything's fine btw) stopped that 'career' dead in it's tracks. Oh well, fun memories still ^^

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Harmor" data-cite="Harmor" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37797" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How could I ignore a music thread for so long?<p> </p><p> My favorite genre(s) are Death and Black Metal, some Prog-stuff (Dream Theater) and the usual suspects, Iron Maiden, Metallica (first four albums, their new stuff can, to a guy who listens to metal since 1987, go eff right off).</p><p> </p><p> Some of my all-time favorite bands:</p><p> </p><p> Morbid Angel</p><p> Nile</p><p> Vader</p><p> Monstrosity</p><p> Pestilence</p><p> <strong>Napalm Death</strong></p><p> Bolt Thrower</p><p> Death (once again and still, RIP Chuck!!)</p><p> Slayer (more RIP for Jeff Hannemann)</p><p> (old) Metallica</p><p> Dream Theater</p><p> ...and the list goes on and on.</p><p> </p><p> As a totally blatant self-hype, here's a song from my former band Deny the Urge - </p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo" contenteditable="false"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/_kLZkQsPFGQ?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" title="Deny the Urge - The Awakening"></iframe></div></div> - used to do vocals for Death Metal bands over 16 years, but brain tumor surgery (twice, actually, and everything's fine btw) stopped that 'career' dead in it's tracks. Oh well, fun memories still ^^</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I saw Napalm Death open for Devildriver a few years ago and they sounded so bad that they got booed off stage. I've never been a huge fan of their's, but the performance was just bad. They acknowledged it later on when Devildriver was on stage. I think they were drunk or something, but it was embarrassing. </p><p> </p><p> I'm not big on death metal, mainly because of the vocals, but the vocals in Deny the Urge are a lot better than a lot of the major death metal bands. Reminds me of Nathan Explosion a bit.</p>

I saw Napalm Death open for Devildriver a few years ago and they sounded so bad that they got booed off stage. I've never been a huge fan of their's, but the performance was just bad. They acknowledged it later on when Devildriver was on stage. I think they were drunk or something, but it was embarrassing.

I'm not big on death metal, mainly because of the vocals, but the vocals in Deny the Urge are a lot better than a lot of the major death metal bands. Reminds me of Nathan Explosion a bit.

Thanks and ofc I'll admit, death and black vocals are an 'acquired' taste and it's why I'd never say I was a 'singer' in a band, cause that would simply be incorrect. However it's what I got into very early in my life and it stuck simply for the energy it transpired.

About Napalm Death, that's quite the first time I hear/read they had a bad performance. But I guess everyone has a bad night on occasion - going on stage drunk was a HUGE no-no in Deny on a sidenote, wasn't a problem for me though cause I don't drink any alcohol since about 15 years now. Yes I'm getting up there in age xD and also just crushed quite a clichee I reckon ^^.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Harmor" data-cite="Harmor" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37797" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a totally blatant self-hype, here's a song from my former band Deny the Urge - <div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/_kLZkQsPFGQ?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Deny the Urge - The Awakening"></iframe></div></div> - used to do vocals for Death Metal bands over 16 years, but brain tumor surgery (twice, actually, and everything's fine btw) stopped that 'career' dead in it's tracks. Oh well, fun memories still ^^</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm not big on most death metal, I prefer melodeath like Dark Tranquility and Amon Amarth, but that song was bad ass. That brain tumor cost death metal a damn good vocalist.</p>

I'm not big on most death metal, I prefer melodeath like Dark Tranquility and Amon Amarth, but that song was bad ass. That brain tumor cost death metal a damn good vocalist.

Dang, thanks - and I really like Dark Tranquility and Amon Amarth too!

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Here you go, you beautiful people. My dads the drummer. & don't listen to the guitarist. He thinks he's all that. & watch part 2!!</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/WIsYqjHYFe8?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Full Circle Live at The Varsity 6/28/14"></iframe></div></div>

Napalm Death are one of my favourite bands, they have slept on my floor a couple of times, and are booked to play my wedding, they are dead cheap to hire, Napalm Death and Godflesh pretty much sum up my sort of music

but i also love Simon and Garfunkel and Johnny Cash, my boy likes Elvis at the moment and The Dickies, he dances about saying he loves rock and roll

i don't really hate any music except i think they are called Metro Station, but i think its because i don't like the lead singer nothing against him he just looks like a pillock

my biggest pet hate in music is the labels, i like bands like Dillinger Escape Plan and Ion Dissonance, but if i mention them people now are like "yes, Mathcore, with a hint of screamo and deathcore", i just hate it, can't it just be metal or melodic metal, i blame Venom

• 1 month later...
So I randomly found the band Talisman(five years after they've broken up >.>) and have seriously been blown away by their vocalist Jeff Scott Soto. Some of their music is fairly cheesy at times, but good god this guy can sing! I've been on a mission to track down anything he's done. I'm fairly bummed I didn't go see Journey when he was their singer.

Going to see Edguy in Nuneaton in two weeks. Mark out moment! Edguy have been my #1 favourite band since I was like... 15, so it's great to see them again. Haven't seen them live for years, but this'll be the third time (we don't get that many gigs near me. Nuneaton is miles away but I managed to score a lift).

On the other hand, girlfriend is making me go to see Hollywood Undead in December. Ugh. It's not that they're a bad band, but... well ok, it is that they're a bad band. ¬_¬

• 1 month later...

I'm sure everyone's going to think I'm crazy, but I'm almost certain Two Door Cinema Club stole (and sped up) the main riff of Oomph's Labyrinth for I Can Talk:

Oomph - Labyrinth

Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk

What makes me wonder if I'm just hearing things is that Oomph seems like such an unlikely source for an indie rock band. Anyone else hear it? Or am I just crazy?

I'm sure everyone's going to think I'm crazy, but I'm almost certain Two Door Cinema Club stole (and sped up) the main riff of Oomph's Labyrinth for I Can Talk:

Oomph - Labyrinth

Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk

What makes me wonder if I'm just hearing things is that Oomph seems like such an unlikely source for an indie rock band. Anyone else hear it? Or am I just crazy?

I can't hear it myself. What TDCC have is the fairly generic and uninspiring indy guitar riff though.

I can't hear it myself. What TDCC have is the fairly generic and uninspiring indy guitar riff though.

It's really the first twenty seconds or so of both that sound extremely similar to me. All I can hear in that time with I Can Talk is a sped up version of Labyrinth. Like I said, it could just be me, but I really like Oomph and it would kind of piss me off if these indie douchebags stole a hit from a much more deserving band.

Archived