Dawn of MMA for WMMA4

So, I've been thinking about this for a while. I haven't contacted the creator of the original Dawn of MMA and I have no clue if he has any intentions to port his great mod for WMMA4 and thus I've decided to start a new similar mod. I haven't decided anything major about it and it is still completely in planning stage. My intentions were to come here and ask the other players and modders for opinions for a few questions.

Should I start the mod from a scratch or ask some of the other RW mod creators for permissions to use their mods as a base?

Both of these of course has their own advances. If I start from a scratch I have a greater knowledge about the mod in general as it is completely newly made. What about using another mod as a base? I get the mod out as a playable version a TON faster and it would be mostly just balancing the stats and creating the earlier fighters...

Should the mod start from the regular start a few months before UFC 1 or a few months before the first Shooto event?

This is a tricky question as the Shooto start would give a bit different feel to the game but I'd guess there would be a bit of a difficulty to get enough fighters to make the game interesting without putting in possible "what if" fighters from other sports. The UFC start would of course be again the easy way out and I guess the more interesting start for the most of the players.

The question of the "what if?" fighters from other combat sports. They would make the game more lively but at the same time a lot more ahistorical.

So please, tell me your opinions and ideas and bring up new questions to think about! Every bit of help is of course appreciated.

Lucien posted somewhere on these forums that people were free to use his mod. I don't think he's modded in a few years. He hasn't logged in since march. I would rebuild that before starting from scratch. If i remember correctly he never fully updated it for wmma3 fr wmma2 so it will be a big project. Feel free to use anything from Modern Warriors, although the fighters won't very useful.

I'd say start with Shooto, but not with the first event. If you begin around 1991, you already have guys like Asahi, Sakamoto and Kusanayagi in the game with records. Also, later in the year, people like Murilo Bustamante start popping up.

If you wanted to start from this time period, I'd be willing to help with some of the stats for the Shooto guys.

I'd use one of the former db's as a base, as it's loads of work configuring a database from scratch. That said, it might be better to start from scratch (if you have good mma knowledge and start from the top for each division and work your way down. Eventually you'd have to add certain 'new' stats anyway. But like I said: that's loads of work. :p

I'd say start with Shooto, but not with the first event. If you begin around 1991, you already have guys like Asahi, Sakamoto and Kusanayagi in the game with records. Also, later in the year, people like Murilo Bustamante start popping up.

If you wanted to start from this time period, I'd be willing to help with some of the stats for the Shooto guys.

Everything is still open so I have to think about this. I myself prefer the 0-0 situation way more than having the guys with a few wins or losses but it is just a matter of taste. I contact you if I decide to start with Shooto!

I'd use one of the former db's as a base, as it's loads of work configuring a database from scratch. That said, it might be better to start from scratch (if you have good mma knowledge and start from the top for each division and work your way down. Eventually you'd have to add certain 'new' stats anyway. But like I said: that's loads of work. :p

It will be a ton of work either way so it could be better to just do it from the scratch. Then again, I have quite a good knowledge about the Dawn of MMA mod as I've played it possibly the most in my countless hours of WMMA.

Here's another question. Would you prefer the Dawn of MMA's style of having starting records for most debuting fighters but debuted later than supposed to or just have them debut at the correct date with 0-0?

I quite like the idea of fighters debuting just before they first fought for a major organisation, and thus they don't start with 0-0.

Like, Johny Hendricks for example, he started in September 2007 but first fought for a major Org (WEC) in December 2008, with a record of 3-0. Personally I think it makes it more realistic as otherwise you'd be more likely to have big names having average records.

I enjoy the "what if" fighters as it gives the game a lot of variety, and it adds fighters that are there during rather sparse times, but that's my opinion.

I agree. As long as it's not too far-fetched that any of those fighters would have given MMA a try in those early days when there was no money in it, I see no problem with that. You could just list those fighters in the first post of the thread, so anyone who wants the mod to be more historically accurate could easily find and delete them all.

There is still the problem of choosing the fighters to include. I mean, the mod As Real As It Gets 1993 had people like Zdeno Chara and others to just get a huge amount of fighters. Of course there is the smarter way of just picking plausible combat sportsmen who could've gone to UFC if there was more money etc.

There is still the problem of choosing the fighters to include. I mean, the mod As Real As It Gets 1993 had people like Zdeno Chara and others to just get a huge amount of fighters. Of course there is the smarter way of just picking plausible combat sportsmen who could've gone to UFC if there was more money etc.

One way to do it might be to include guys who did things close to the thing without actually doing the thing.

As an example, guys like Satoru Sayama and Akira Maeda have videos online where one could kind of figure out their fighting ability since puroresu is heavily linked with MMA in Japan. Obviously.

Outside of Japan, maybe give early debuts to a few of the prominent BJJ/Luta Livre/Kickboxer guys who ended up going into MMA later? IDK.

• 3 weeks later...

I've a semi-updated DOMMA I work on for personal use with some more recent fighters and prospects as well as guys like Sperry, Erik Paulson and Phillip Miller that I don't think were in the original IIRC in it if you're interested.

It could be of use to import some of them to your database as they've got their records and active dates set to when they first joined a major promotion like UFC, Shooto, WEC etc. if you decide to go down that route.

• 8 months later...

Archived