GAMMA - The Rise of the Juggernaut

Hey man, you mixed up my picks. I got 4/8 right but you put me down for 1/8. I think you mixed KnowYourEnemy and me up.

EDIT: Just looked back and noticed I also got 4/8 on the GAMMA 59 card but was marked down for 2/8... I think you mixed CageRage and I up that time.

Am I missing something here?

Apologies, you're quite right in both cases - looking at my notes I've gone down your selections in the wrong order when I was tallying up. I've gone back up and made corrections to the scores (and the totals).

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apologies, you're quite right in both cases - looking at my notes I've gone down your selections in the wrong order when I was tallying up. I've gone back up and made corrections to the scores (and the totals).

Awesome, thanks man! Keep up the good work on the dynasty! Im really enjoying. Its nice to see someone still active on the WMMA forums too.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/SeanMorrison.gif

Sean Morrison

I was starting to wonder about defecting to MMC. I mean, having had two fights against the champion already, and with no sign of a third on the horizon no matter who I beat, there was the lure of competing in their Openweight class and really showing what I could do. In theory I had two more fights with GAMMA, but in practice that meant one more before renegotiation, and I needed to be in as strong position as I could in order to influence those negotiations in the way that I wanted them to go. I was still one of the top drawing fighters in GAMMA, and was only getting paid $40k per fight, yet the Fight Night bonuses were nearly twice that, and it seemed like anyone could pick one up, no matter how long you'd been with the company, which made my salary looked pretty petty in comparison! I wanted a lot more money to stay with GAMMA when we came to look at my next contract!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/Ziskie%20v%20Takeuchi.jpg

GAMMA on ECT 11 Card for Picks

Main Event

GAMMA Featherweight Championship

Philip Ziskie (c ) (20-1-1) v Tomohiro Takeuchi (21-2)

Co-Main

Welterweight – Darin Blood (17-5) v Gabriel Gallego (19-5)

Undercard

Heavyweight – Fatuma Roy (20-12) v Randall Donnelly (13-7)

Lightweight – Benny Danare (10-2) v Dana Delaney (9-4-1NC)

Light-Heavyweight – Anthony LeToussier (15-2) v Nicolai Mickiewicz (24-6)

Middleweight – Fjodor Kanchelskis (15-1) v Osmosis Benn (15-2)

Main Event

Co-Main

Undercard

Middleweight – Fjodor Kanchelskis (15-1) v Osmosis Benn (15-2

GAMMA on ECT 11 Card for Picks

Main Event

Co-Main

Undercard

Main Event

Co-Main

Undercard

Main Event

Co-Main

Undercard

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/Ziskie%20retains.jpg

Philip Ziskie showed tonight that the transition from Champion in a minor company like XCC to Champion in GAMMA was well within his reach, as he successfully defended his Featherweight Title against Tomohiro Takeuchi in a fight that seemed to have something for everyone.

Starting off as an intricate striking battle, the first round was highlighted by Takeuchi's trip takedown into side control, but from there Ziskie defended position well, and saw out the round. The second saw a real grappling brawl, with Takeuchi seemingly having greater power and able to control the champ up against the cage for sustained periods and outstrike him in the clinch.

The third saw Ziskie exert more control over the grappling, and preventing the challenger from bullying hinm around and up against the cage. The Japanese fighter was still the more active, but you could see Ziskie coming back into in, and he certainly landed the best shot of the round, a big left hook that rocked Takeuchi's head back. In the fourth, it seemed that Ziskie had got his opponent's takedowns scouted. Takeuchi tried several times to get the fight to the mat, but failed each time, and indeed ended on his back with a nice trip from the champion that saw him into half guard. Ziskie's output also overtook Takeuchi's for the first time in the fight, as he poured it on late in the fight. The fifth seemed to see the steam evaporate from the Japanese fighter's challenge. He got a takedown in the clinch at the second or thoid attempt, but did little but lay there smothering, and Leo Behan was forced to stand them back up again.

Very few around the arena doubted that Ziskie had retained his title, but the margin of victory on two of the scorecards was a little surprising. With it being awarded to the Los Angeles native 50-45, 49-46, 48-47. Most thought it much closer than that, and Blurcat.com scored it 48-47 to Ziskie.

Next up for the champ could be the winner of the fight between Yoshiro Makamori and Manish Khan, currently on the card for GAMMA 62, whilst there appear to be a plethora of options to match Takeuchi against on the undercard next time out.

A fantastic striking battle between Darin Blood and Gabriel Gallego was the powerful Argentine's right from the start. Gallego scored with a big right hook that sent Blood to the mat, and unloaded with punches and knees to the body, but Blood did well to survive and move enough to prevent anything landing cleanly enough to cause him a serious problem. The entertainment continued in the second with some exceptionally varied striking, and as the round was coming to its conclusion we were all looking forward to another five minutes, but Gallego struck with a superb right kick to the head that knocked Blood clean out. A stacked Welterweight division looks to be set up for some fascinating contests over the next year as the likes of Gallego are pitted against the best that GAMMA has to offer.

At Heavyweight, veteran Fatuma Roy finally came out of his slump, breaking a four fight losing streak with a second round win over Randall Donnelly. The first round was evenly matched, with Donnelly perhaps having the greater volume of strikes in a round that stayed standing. It was once Roy got the fight to the mat in the second that he moved things up. An initial Armbar attempt was blocked by Donnelly, but Roy switched position to take his back, and after a couple of heavy, clubbing blows, got both hooks in and forced a tap to a Rear Naked Choke.

Canadian Benny Danare made it three wins in a row with a quick submission victory over Dana Delaney. Shooting for a single leg, Danare went into guard and wasted no time in securing a leg and applying a painful Heel Hook that forced an instant tap from Delaney at 1:15 of the very first round. Danare could be a good next opponent for Sean Morrison while the division settles down to see it's next title match.

Anthony LeToussier put two straight defeats behind him to pick up a split decision victory over dangerous Belorussian Nicolai Mickiewicz in the Light-Heavyweight division. Something of a surprise decision by the judges, given Mickiewicz's greater rate of striking in both the first and third rounds, and his initiative in pulling guard in the second. Perhaps it was this latter that swayed them in particular, as the attempt proved fruitless once the initial triangle attempt was defended by LeToussier, but Blurcat.com scored this 29-28 to Mickiewicz. LeToussier called out former GAMMA Light-Heavyweight Champion Spencer Rubenstein in his post-match interview, a match-up that might have been a go-to headliner just a few years ago.

The Middleweight opener between Fjodor Kanchelskis and Osmosis Benn turned out to be a real barnstormer, as the Russian tried his hardest to fight back from two rounds down with repeated submission attempts, and finally forced Benn to lose consciousness to an Arm triangle, ,when it was clear that he was never going to tap out with just one minute remaining in the fight. The first two rounds had been an exhibition of grappling and counter grappling, as both men tries very hard to get the fight to the floor, but found their opponent extremely skilled in the same areas. Benn managed takedowns in both te first two rounds, but Kanchelskis' active guard made him work exceptionally hard to retain top position, and it was as entertaining a grapple-fest as we have seen for some time. Kudos to both men, and we look forward to seeing them fight again. Kanchelskis indicated a desire to fight Tadeo Miyazaki next.

GAMMA on ECT 11 Quick Results

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/GAMMA%20on%20ECT%2011%20results.png

Pick Results

CageRage - 5/6 (187/289)

KnowYourEnemy - 5/6 (33/52)

Dolphin81 - 4/6 (26/34)

Judoku1819 - 3/6 (30/59)

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/MichaelFrankley.gif

Michael Frankley

Having yet another possible challenger to the Welterweight title was only a good thing. We were getting to a point now where it was getting more and more difficult to come up with main event match-ups that the public really wanted to see, and those that were outside of title fights were even more rare, so an extra alternative with a good winning record and with some momentum behind him was only going to help us as we tried to expand.

On the Futurestars project, things had moved smoothly through the first round of fights, and the two coaches, Truck Gleeson and Henry Baldwin, seemed to be having a blast with the show, as they were making good connections with the youngsters and seemed to be settling in really well. A bit of a surprise in the first round was the knock out of Craig Hulme by Chad Zoff. Hulme had been picked out as one of the standouts because of his wrestling skill, but it appeared that Zoff got to him first, and it would be interesting to see where that particular battle progressed to in future – could Hulme develop a good enough chin and striking to be able to hang with the best of the strikers...

As I'm sure you'll be aware by now, I'm on tenterhooks the week before a fight, desperately hoping that we don't have any last minute pull outs. Unfortunately the bad news hit us for GAMMA 61 – Bobby Castillo was forced to pull out of his Featherweight fight with Yagi Jokichi, and there wasn't anyone who could step in at such short notice this time. On the plus side, it was the only fight we lost, so I was a fairly relieved man by Saturday evening.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/Sarkisian%20v%20Kapur.jpg

GAMMA 61 Card for Picks

Main Event

GAMMA Heavyweight Championship

Armen Sarkisian (c ) (28-3) v Rav Kapur (12-0)

Co-Main

Middleweight – Sutton Ripley (16-3) v Neil Napier (18-2)

Undercard

Lightweight – Luis Basora (22-3) v Jake Keane (26-5)

Light-Heavyweight – Niko Soldo (17-1-1) v Lawrence Herringbone (15-2)

Welterweight – Yevgeni Sipatov (29-10) v Carlos da Guia (19-2)

Heavyweight – Sam Hoynes (3-1) v Paulo Sergio Parente (6-4)

Middleweight – Stephan de Winter (4-0) v Dwayne Allyene (8-2)

Main Event

Co-Main

Undercard

GAMMA 61 Card for Picks

Main Event

Co-Main

Undercard

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/Sarkisian%20Defends%20Convincingly.jpg

Armen Sarkisian showed once again that his ascent to the top of the GAMMA Heavyweight division has not come about by chance, with another dominating display, this time against latest challenger Rav Kapur, who came into the fight unbeaten and with a vaunted reputation from his time in BCF.

Sarkisian started the fight as he meant to go on, by taking control of the clinch and forcing Kapur back against the fence, where he could engage in some dirty boxing and keep the Brit under his control. It took until the fourth round before Kapur was able to devise a counter to this strategy, by which time the fight was gone short of a stoppage. Sarkisian also showed that he had the strength and skill to put Kapur on his back, twice picking up Kapur and slamming him down to the mat. He had the challenger in all sorts of trouble in the second round until he gave up his back, and in the third spent a good three minutes in mounted position landing some hefty ground and pound, in total more than fifty strikes.

With the decision more-or-less secured, Sarkisian returned to trying to control the clinch, but now found that Kapur had worked out a way to block being forced back to the cage, and the Brit put up a much stronger showing in the second half of the fight. Ultimately he may also have broken his right hand with a vicious straight shot in the final round, but when it came to deciding the victor it made little difference tonight.

The judges all scored it to Sarkisian (50-45, 49-46, 48-47), making his second defence of the title, and we look to see who he gets put up against next.

Neil Napier continued to demonstrate why he remains a threat to most in the Middleweight with a slick submission victory over Canadian Sutton Ripley in the first round. Getting a single leg takedown, Napier was keen to break open Ripley's guard and attack his legs, and seized an opportunity to do so, locking in a kneebar to force the tap at 3:08 of the first round. Napier was keen to call out Tadao Miyazaki in is post-fight interview, claiming he wanted to lay a beating down on the Japanese fighter. Miyazaki seems to be a popular target amongst the Middleweights in GAMMA of late, so you have to wonder what he's done to offend them!

An exceptional Lightweight bout saw Luis Basora and Jake Keane demonstrate the skills coming from European MMA these days, with a technical clinic. Keane landed the bigger shots in both of the first two rounds, but was unable to prevent being taken down by Basora in the second, from where the Spaniard demonstrated some sick ground and pound. It looked like we might have a repeat in the third when Basora took the fight to the floor with a single leg, but Keane immediately seized the opportunity to grab an arm that was left in and applied an armbar from the bottom of guard that forced Basora to tap. Keane could be in line for a shot at Bud Brockett following this. Though that may depend on how other bouts pan out too.

Niko Soldo's progress through the Light-Heavyweight ranks came to an abrupt end at the hands of progressive North Carolinan Lawrence Herringbone, who deservedly to a unanimous 30-27 verdict and has now won four of his last five, prompting speculation about a future title shot. Herringbone proved the better grappler on the night, able to take a lackluster Soldo down in all three rounds, and was very close to finishing the fight with his ground and pound when the buzzer sounded for the end of the fight. Soldo offered very little beyond some weak takedown attempts of his own, and although he landed the one big shot in the second when the fight was still standing, he was outstruck by the American by some considerable distance. We look forward to finding out what the reason for Soldo's disappointing effort was, as it wasn't mentioned during his post-match interview.

Carlos da Guia rebounded from his defeat by new GAMMA Welterweight Champion Noach Van der Capellen with a unanimous decision victory (29-28 on all cards) over veteran Russian grappler Yevgeni Sipatov. The opening round was the highlight here, with Sipatov responding to da Guia's creative striking by landing more consistently and more often, but thereafter, the fight descended into more of when we expect from the Russian, content to try and control things by getting a takedown and smothering for the remainder of the round once he realises he isn't able to stand and trade with his opponent. The scores were a little bit of a surprise as Blurcat.com thought that Sipatov had done enough to win despite his lack of activity, and scored it 29-28 to the Russian.

Texan Sam Hoynes picked up his first finish in GAMMA with a second round TKO of Paulo Sergio Parente in their Heavyweight clash. Hoynes showcased both his grappling and striking, taking Parente down in the first round, and knocking him down with a fantastic right cross in the second, before finishing things with a series of heavy shots to the head that prompted Leo Behan to call things off.

Opening things up in the Middleweight division, Dwayne Alleyne was the victim of a shocking judges call, losing to Stephan de Winter by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28). Alleyne consistently outstruck de Winter and landed more of the heavier shots, so how the judges marked their cards for the Dutchman is hard to fathom. The only area where Alleyne didn't have success was in trying to pull guard in the second round, which saw him slammed to the mat, before being allowed to stand once more. Blurcat.com scored it 30-27 to Alleyne, who must be livid at the decision.

GAMMA 61 Quick Results

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/GAMMA%2061%20results.png

Pick Results

KnowYourEnemy - 7/7 (40/59) - Congratulations on a full house!

CageRage - 3/7 (190/296)

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/MichaelFrankley.gif

Michael Frankley

What fight the judges were watching in the opener, I have no idea. The media were quite right to blast them for that because it was an absolutely outrageous howler. The Sipatov decision was almost as bad – I had Yevgeni winning all three rounds, yet somehow the judges saw it the other way.

MMC held their fourth event and again headlined it with a fight that had a huge discrepancy between the fighters' weights. Super-Heavyweight John-James McInleen defeated Alex Cole in the third round, and apparently it seemed to go down fairly well with the fans.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/batsnumbereleven/Regueiro%20v%20Sithalayan.jpg

GAMMA 62 Card for Picks

Main Event

Welterweight – Julio Regueiro (24-1) v Vikram Sithalayan (19-4)

Co-headliner

Featherweight – Manish Khan (10-3) v Yoshiro Makamori (15-1)

Undercard

Lightweight – Brandon Sugar (26-5) v Seth O'Breen (16-0)

Featherweight – Lamont Banner (5-0-1NC) v Heiko Pander (4-1)

Light-Heavyweight – Mike Watson (10-3) v Jerry Bogdonovich (6-2)

Heavyweight – Percy Catcher (11-4) v Jozef Jankowski (4-1)

Middleweight – Tony Legg (2-0) v Artak Gevor (7-0)

Lightweight – Gregory O'Hara (2-1) v Sid Morgan (2-1)

GAMMA 62 Card for Picks

Main Event

Co-headliner

Undercard

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Main Event</p><p>

Welterweight – <strong>Julio Regueiro (24-1)</strong> v Vikram Sithalayan (19-4)</p><p> </p><p>

Co-headliner</p><p>

Featherweight – Manish Khan (10-3) v <strong>Yoshiro Makamori (15-1)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Undercard</p><p>

Lightweight – Brandon Sugar (26-5) v <strong>Seth O'Breen (16-0)</strong></p><p>

Featherweight – <strong>Lamont Banner (5-0-1NC)</strong> v Heiko Pander (4-1)</p><p>

Light-Heavyweight – <strong>Mike Watson (10-3)</strong> v Jerry Bogdonovich (6-2)</p><p>

Heavyweight – Percy Catcher (11-4) v <strong>Jozef Jankowski (4-1)</strong></p><p>

Middleweight – <strong>Tony Legg (2-0)</strong> v Artak Gevor (7-0)</p><p>

Lightweight – <strong>Gregory O'Hara (2-1)</strong> v Sid Morgan (2-1)</p>

• 4 weeks later...

Main Event

Co-headliner

Undercard

Archived