What's the pros and cons of a Japanese promotion versus an American one?

For starters: I've only watched American pro wrestling and have heard of Japanese promotions being more lax about rules, etc.

As far as in-game goes, what's the pros and cons? Could anyone explain this to me? I am new to TEW in general and own this one and 2010.

If anyone who has experience with this could answer, I'd gladly appreciate it!

There is a few differences between the two, any company can have any product really, but Japanese companies tend to be Performance > Popularity. Only one company uses a Face/Heel divide in the default data, at least out of the starting companies. They also all use either 90% or 100% match ratio, except for WLW, which uses 80%. That's not much room for many angles, if you can fit any. Which for me, is why I get bored of my Japan games. But I've been itching to try a long-term Japanese game, I'd make it my goal to try and get my created promotion into the Modern Japan Movement and hold a yearly inter-promotional tag team tournament and have their Champion(s) challenge mine in big matches.

Depending on the product, there is "Young Lions" which if they're under a certain age/respect level, the fans will expect them to "pay their dues" before they'd be allowed to beat their elders. I've never played with Young Lions myself, so someone who's more familiar with Puro could hopefully explain it better and how it works in-game.

Japan also has "Loyalty" which if you hire a wrestler under I think 25? Can't remember for sure, and they're not loyal to another promotion already, they become Loyal to your company, making it harder for people to steal them. (I think there might be a respect level cut-off, also, not sure though.) I think loyalty prevents other companies from signing people to exclusive deals if they are currently signed by you, but that'd need clarification. This only applies to Japanese wrestlers, if you sign a worker of a different nationality that would otherwise fit the criteria they will not become loyal.

Then there is the touring schedule system, which most companies operate under in Japan, but it's not a requirement. Four companies in the default data in Japan use a full-time schedule, and they are part of an Alliance together -- "Modern Japan Movement"

Though, the cool thing about TEW is there is no "right" way to do things, if you wanna run a pure Sports Entertainment product in Japan? Go ahead, you'll have fun if that's how you want to play. You could even do a "traditional" puro product, and tweak the match ratio and such if you like, it's all up to you. You could even just pick one of the Japanese companies and jump right in and test the waters.

But in the end Japan itself works a little differently with the Young Lions and Loyalty. Young Lions only applies in certain types of products. Just check your product analysis before you don't take into account your Young Lions when booking matches.

Archived