All Star Wrestling (UK) - 1988

I can't see this diary being one of the greats, but thought I'd give another go at one and see where it goes.

All Star Wrestling (UK) - February 1988

{A few quick notes for the start. In 1988, televised wrestling in the UK saw Joint Promotions, All Star and WWF share the slot on varying weeks. The only way to replicate this was to split Joint and All Star. So, I have All Star with a 30 min afternoon slot and Joint with a 30 min early evening. WWF Wrestling Challenge has a full one hour evening slot.

It should also be noted that I don't go in for lengthy results. Think of this more as basic updates, though I'll give other detail as if it were a note in an event programme or fictional UK wrestling mag.

All Star start off with 1 tv show per week, filmed on Thursday and aired on ITV the following Saturday. There is no weekly tour show, with only a supporting month end show.}

Week1, Feb 88:

Early news in the week was the agreement of working relationships with Stampede & NJPW.

Wrestling Taping:

Filmed in Coventry, in front of 3,000 spectators.

The show began with an announcement that a tournament will be held to crown a new British Heavyweight Champion. The first semi final to be held tonight between Wayne Bridges and Kendo Nagasaki.

The announcements continued as it the fans were informed that the signing of a working agreement with Stampede Wrestling has led to Owen Hart signing a pay per view appearances contract. UK fans may remember Owen's televised match vs Marty Jones from last year.

Bobby Barnes defeated Doc Dean with a small package in 5:24. The fans would have noticed Steve Regal watching from ringside then looking unsure as he left. Match Rating: D+

The fans were lucky enough to see Owen Hart make his debut. Not so happy was Dave Taylor, who lost at the 7:29 mark after a dropkick and quick cover. Match Rating: C-

Main Event:

Kendo Nagaski went through his usual elaborate entrance and pre-match ritual as Wayne Bridges looked out. This British Heavyweight Title Semi-Final was keenly contested with Nagasaki taking a seemingly confused Bridges unawares around the 10:03 mark via a karate kick. Match Rating: C+

The show took an overall rating of C, with a 0.06 TV rating on the Saturday. (viewing figures will rise in March as I edited ITV's size to that of Channel 4.)

Backstage, the contacts gained via working agreements and general negotiations are hoped to bring more new faces. It's believed that two North American based workers will debut shortly.

Joint Promotions ran a C- filming for TV in front of 3,100 and gaining a 0.03 rating on the Saturday. Other UK TV was limited to WWF Challenge scoring a 0.02.

Joint also ran their weekly tour show, getting a D+ in Scotland, and went all out with their monthly show being run in the North for a C rating. Highlight of their monthly show being a victory for Drew McDonald over Big Daddy.

The main news of global interest for ASW fans was that of Owen Hart losing his North American Heavyweight Title to Akam Singh.

Financial performance for the week was a rise of $34,981

Archived