Why would a company retire their World title and make a new one?

Guys,

I have been playing since the EW9000 days, but honestly the past 5 or so years I pretty much just like to sim the real world and see what happens.

Anyway, I am using Genadi's 1997 "Montreal Aftermath" database, real world starting in late 1997. I have simulated all the way to the end of 2015 and despite being in dept for over a decade somehow WCW is still around, permanently stuck at cult with no TV deal for 6 years with Eric Bischoff at the helm (lol).

To the point. I noticed that the WCW World Heavyweight title was gone and a new main event title "WCW International" title was in play. They run a tight ship roster wise, only about 15 guys on the roster. Amazingly enough Hulk Hogan (62) and Rick Steiner (54) were still lingering in the main event and they keep 3 to 4 main eventers as far as official push goes. Only after Bret Hart and Lex Luger retired did they allow a few younger guys to mingle with Hulk and Rick in the main event and one was Kofi Kingston after stealing him from an independent.

The old WCW World title was a C+ Prestige and the new one obviously starts at C+ because that is the lowest you can get on a main event title so I don't understand what was to be gained to retiring a title with so much history behind it.

Here is the timeline:

• Kofi Kingston successfully defends WCW World at May Slamboree
  • Kofi Kingston leaves WCW Fri Wek 3 June 2015
  • Rick Steiner defeats Hogan for the vacant WCW World title at Great American Bash just two days after Kofi leaves WCW.
  • Looking at Rick Steiners title history, WCW retired world title wk 2 July 2015. About 3 weeks after he won it, and a week before the next event.
  • Wk 3 July 2015 two youngsters fight for the new WCW International title leaving Hogan & Steiner out in the cold.
  • Rick Steiner retired Friday Week 2 August 2015 (probably unrelated, but it is nearly exactly one month after he had the title he held vacated).

I just find it interesting. Perhaps Kofi vacating the title by leaving made the title hit rock bottom in terms of prestige so opening a new World title couldn't hurt??? No new owner or booker shaking things up either. Weird. Any ideas?

I think I may have just answered my own question. Upon further inspection the database has the WCW World Heavyweight title set to Middleweight as minimum. After sorting the roster to in ring push and minimum size middleweight, there are 7 guys that fit but only TWO main eventers on that size or greater and no upper midcarders.

I bet the game decided that there are only 2 valid competitors based on push and size and retired the belt... just like it does for Womens division and light weight titles when they inevitably get retired. Well, there would have been 3 at the time it was cancelled but it may have only counted 2 since Rick Steiner put in his month's notice.

When I read this whole thread it just made me realize how incredible the AI can be in this game. Having said that, Kofi Kingston being a main event player in WCW is really weird but interesting to read about Troy. It would be cool if you could do more updates about this save in the "What's going on in your game" thread. Thanks for sharing this!

Archived