RIP Roddy Piper

Dragonmack

Tragic news today as another of my most favorite wrestlers passed away.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%e2%80%98rowdy%e2%80%99-roddy-piper-wrestling-legend-dead-at-61-report/ar-BBlhmMa?ocid=iehp

Although he was more character than wrestler by the time I actually started watching him ( not getting to see the epic matches in early 80's NWA) Piper over the years was one of my top favorite wrestling personalities, and with him and Dusty Rhodes, has probably lost two of the most charismatic wrestlers ever this year.

Very sad news. I've only ever seen archived videos with him, but he was one of the true great entertainers in the business. And he still remained sharp and engaged in the business right up untill his untimely (and at least to me, surprising) death.

Some big names from the business leaving us these years...

I have been feeling the itch recently in terms of going back and enjoying WCW/NWA action... the other night I had the Starrcade Essential DVD on, and I hadn't seen Greg the Hammer Valentine v Roddy in the dog collar match for some time. Man, that match was all kinds of brutality. What the Hammer did to Roddy's ear is the stuff of legends. And couldn't he cut a promo as well?

OK, so his work on his return to Atlanta wasn't that great because his storylines were outrageously overbooked, particularly in '99. I didn't have a problem with him facing Hogan, for nostalgia's perspective it was a match that made sense. His work as a face commissioner I thought was good, and given his hip operation and the pop he was able to generate alongside others, thats where he could have stayed.

Nonetheless, there is no doubt Roddy was an absolute legend. The Valentine match, the two faces of Piper v the Hitman, the chewing bubble gum promo, Piper's Pit and the feud he built with Adrian Adonis, awesome. Such a sad time to be a pro wrestling fan with the loss of Dusty Rhodes as well, two of the best promo men in the business, I guess one way to evaluate Roddy was how over did he get as a Scotsman, without being a real Scotsman. The 80s was all kinds of cool with those foreign gimmicks, especially for lads that weren't foreigners at all.

RIP Roddy, thanks for the great memories.

I remember the Piper's Pit at Wrestlemania 21, when he interviewed Stone Cold Steve Austin, they taunted each other mercilessly, when they were interrupted by Carlito. Piper ate Carlito's apple and spat it on straight on his face, which started a brawl that ended with Stone Cold stunning Carlito, then Piper and Austin drank beer together, only for the former to be stunned by Austin.

The day before that, Piper went to the H.O.F.

Thanks, Roddy, for the memories.... NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER.

Q.E.P.D.

Roddy Piper

Archived