Gameplanning

I don't know how many of you like to simulate vs. call your own games in game. I call my own games a lot of the time. Today I am going to tell you how to do that.

Offensive gamecalling:

Before you commence to call any game, look at the players you have vs. the players the opponent team has. You don't want to spend a whole quarter rushing up the gut to find out that both enemy DTs have 55 strength and 90 run stopping.

OL - if the opposing DL is stronger and has higher run stop abilities than your OL, you probably won't want to run any direct inside runs up the middle. Try some counters or runs off tackle or even counters and option

WRs- if the enemy CBs are press corners (you can't really tell but if they have lots of PDs, they are probably press) don't do the deep ball all the time or any straight route or anything like that. It will allow the DB to stick to the receiver and stop the catches. Do things that allow the receiver to move, like digs or hitches or curls plays out of trips formations. If they are zone corners (probably corners with more tackling stats because they let the receiver catch in their zone then tackle) try some of the straight routes like slants and go and ins and outs

RB-if your running back is slow (both speed and acceleration wise) call plays that allow him to get to the hole quickly or where he does not have to start 10 yards in the backfield running around. So no pure counters, outside runs in general because he's too slow to make it to the outside and won't make it to full speed fast enough to even have a chance. Unless your RB has 60 or so speed, don't do it. It won't work enough.

QB- if your QB has low arm strength, don't do routes like deep outs or deep hitch and long go or outside curls. That requires impressive arm strength to throw to the outside of the field and it won't work if your QB don't have it. If your QB has bad passing touch, don't do any of those routes either or any deep routes that are past 10 or 15 yards because your QB probably can't put enough air under the ball to do it properly.

Defensive gameplanning- I think run defense is pretty straightforward, if your men have bigger strength and run stopping ability than the other team you're going to win. Pass gameplanning is different because there are so many different types of passes you will do.

There are three types of pass coverages: tight man (shown as Tman in the playcalls), man, and zone.

Tight man is what you use when you have press corners (usually big 6'0 185 lbs or more). These ones will press the WRs at the line of scrimmage and make them have to fight for every ball.

Man is just regular man, you have a DB assigned to a receiver, and he follows him around.

Zone is zone. These CBs may not usually be the fastest or the most instinctual but they have good coverage and tackling ability.

But when should you actually call these plays?

Zone is best when you have a scrambling QB as that way the CB won't have his back turned chasing the receiver and can come up to hit the QB. Zone is also good when it is 2nd or 3rd and long and you've gotten a handle on what the enemy likes to do. 3rd and 15? call a short zone, let the receiver catch then tackle.

Tight man, I usually use near ends of games or halves or when it is absolutely necessary for a team to pass. 2nd and 25, with the opposing team down by 10 and having to go 70 yards. Tight man across the board with the best pass rushers on the defensive line and let's go to work

Man I just use in regular situations. If I think a team will call a running play and I have good corners I just call a play with man coverage and run blitz. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. Just like in real human football.

Archived