Another Player Guide Thread

I purchased BBCF when it first came out 10 years ago. I played it continuously for about three years.

I started playing it again about 6 months ago when I discovered the 2014 mod that updated the NCAA universe to reflect the present.

It's a great game...the best to date for a college football sim.

I'll share what I've experienced as to the "depth" of this sim that may go unnoticed by both new and long time players alike.

First...I play a total micro manger approach...every aspect of the game is under my control and not the AI or coaching staff...I also call each and every play every game on both sides of the ball. That being said, what I'll attempt to share may not have a lot of relevance for those who sim whole seasons or games.

After each game, there is a message from both the DC and OC on how well their units performed. I viewed this as they have studied the film of the game and are presenting that to me highlighting the good, the bad and the ugly play of the QB/RB/REC/OL as well as the DL/LB/DB.

Here's where my micro management starts coming into play. I have a little spreadsheet where I record the results for each game in the season in the following manner:

OFFENSE:

*QB

GP

BP

*RB

CR

MH

FUM

*REC

GC

DP

BR

*OL

RB

PK

SA

FS

MB

HD

DEFENSE:

*DL

SK

STF

DP

HUR

MT

OOP

*LB

SK

STF

PD

MT

BPA

OOP

(request for Arlie...please add INT's by the LB corps)

*DB

SK

PD

INT

MT

BPA

OOP

I then add up all the "positive" plays. I then do the same for all the "negative plays. Next I subtract the negatives from the positives to get the "net" game summary. Over the course of the season, by watching the "net" can give a perspective on how this effects the team's won/lost record. This along with the individual game stats summary helps to understand the results on the field. Year over year gives insight as to how the team is progressing.

But that's not the whole story of my micro management approach. What follows will NOT be everyone's cup of tea...for obvious reasons.

During the game...after each play (yes each play) I check the game log for mention of any of the above mentioned comments. Why...because it will shed light on what happened on that particular play.

Example...I call the "perfect" defense against my opponent...and the play goes for 55 yards and a TD...what the heck happened???...by looking at the game log for that particular play, did the...the QB throw a great pass...or the Receiver made a great catch...or my DB missed a tackle...or my LB was out of position...or some combination of all. Before I started checking after each play I had no clue as to my play calling ability. With this info, helps me to better understand what just happened and not some bad "dice roll" or a poor simulation of reality...OR...a bad play call on my part.

This play-by-play analysis really gave me insight into my play calling ability...both good and bad...and provided info that lead to improvement given team strength/weakness.

Over time as players progress from freshmen to seniors and gain experience, positive plays tend to increase, while negative actions tend to decrease for that individual(check their player card one year to the next). Thus, I may choose to start and upperclassmen over a slightly more talented FR/SOPH because of that consideration.

As the old saying goes...my approach is like picking fly "crap" off a black wall...each to his own.

But, in defense of BBCF...there is a lot going on under the hood that the untrained eye may not see.;)

A request I would make for future considerations is make available the "other" teams OFF/DEF game summary so I could have a game summary from my opponent's perspective. Thus, being able to compare my OL's performance against opponent" DL, etc,etc.

Archived