Introducing a new title...

So I'm running a TNA promotion that's doing very well. My problem is my roster is so huge. Embarrassment of riches at this point. I'm almost 5 full years through as TNA Booker and we're at #1 over ROH and WWE, but during that time my roster has become bloated with good talent, not just guys developing but legit guys.

Right now, I have three male singles titles. The TNA World Heavyweight, TNA World Television and the TNA X-Division Championship. I also own the NWA World Heavyweight Title and I wanted to reactive it andf bring it into the promotion, but I worry I'm gonna devalue the other singles titles. Also, I'm not positive what's a feasible way of bringing the title in storyline wise. I figured I'd ask the group if they had any ideas on how to bring a new title in without completely destroying your other belts. My current male roster is 62 wrestlers. For reference sake, I'll list them below. Again, this is using Fleisch's Real World Chronicles January 2015 Mod and has run up until December 2019.

Main Eventers: Alberto El Patron, Bobby Roode, Jay Lethal, Samoa Joe, Adam Cole, Crimson, Niebla Roja (faces); AJ Styles, Bram, Drew Gulak, Ethan Carter III, Magnus, Tama Tonga (heels)

Upper Midcarders: Andrew Everett, Joseph Park, Kurt Angle, Naomichi Marufuji, Rich Swann, Rockstar Spud, Uhaa Nation (faces); Akira Tozawa, Jimmy Rave, Seiya Sanada, Trevor Lee, Tommaso Ciampa (heels)

Midcarders: Colt Cabana, Danny Matthews, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Eric Young, Kyle O' Reilly, Matt Tremont, TaDarius Thomas (faces); Bobby Fish, Colin Delaney, David Starr, JT Dunn, Marty Scurll, Michael Elgin, Tim Donst, Trent Baretta (heels)

Lower Midcarders: ACH, Harlem Bravado, Lance Bravado, Zack Sabre Jr. (faces); Chuck Taylor, Doc Gallows, Garrett Bischoff, Giuseppe Danza, Rhett Titus (heels)

Openers: Akio Ishiyama*, Kunisada Saiki*, Mark Andrews (faces); Hayato "Jr." Fujita, Jack Gallagher, Philip Martin*

Enhancement Talent: Floyd Couture*, Troy Le Jeune* (faces); Cody Hall (heel)

* indicates computer generated wrestler.

<p>If you want to be technical the TNA belt used to be the NWA belt. When they broke away from the NWA the TNA belt was created. I would also sign the last guy to hold it right now it's Jax Dane. Have him come in and defend the belt against your upper mid card for about 3 months then move the strap on the guy you really want to have it.</p><p> </p><p>

I would do a brand split like the previous suggestion and have the knockouts title on one show...the X division on the other and have your Television Champ be the only person that is not assigned to a brand. He is a guy that you rocket to the moon because he openly defends the belt at every show against the mid card.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40504" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you want to be technical the TNA belt used to be the NWA belt. When they broke away from the NWA the TNA belt was created. I would also sign the last guy to hold it right now it's Jax Dane. Have him come in and defend the belt against your upper mid card for about 3 months then move the strap on the guy you really want to have it.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't have Jax Dane on my save. The last NWA Champ on mine was Rob Conway. That was June of 2014 and it hadn't been defended for a good five years. It's now December of 2019. Rob Conway DOES work for NXT under a pay-per-appearance in my save file as an Upper Midcarder, but that's deceptive. In NXT, he's an Upper Midcarder with E- popularity. In TNA, he'd ne an opener or lower midcarder and it'd be really hard to get him up in popularity at his age. In my game he's 47, which would make him the second oldest in my promotion if I signed him (Kurt Angle is oldest, wrestling part-time).</p><p> </p><p> Also, in my experience trying to force a guy to gain popularity doesn't necessarily work all the time. I tried my damnest to get Garrett Bischoff over... just never happened. I even had Andrew Everett drop the X-Division title to him, which if anything devalued the belt. I've had some great success with younger guys (Cole, Gulak, Everett, Lee) but Bischoff, no matter what I did, never got over Lower Midcard.</p><p> </p><p> I did have difficulties getting Bram over to start. It took a good three years for him to achieve solid Upper Midcard/Main Event status. Matt Tremont and Giuseppe Danza started slow, but after starting as jobbers have bounced back and become solid members of the card.</p>

<p>Have an 'NWA representative' start appearing at your show - someone like Ric Flair or Ricky Steamboat with ties to that company. After appearing in the background of angles a few times, let them have their say: The NWA is looking to crowd a new World champion, and they've come to TNA to find the perfect fit.</p><p> </p><p>

There's then the option of having competitors vying for the chance to be the new champion, trying to impress the representative with wins etc., or just flat-out running a tournament to put the winner over. You could have the representative taking a shine to someone on the roster, maybe a massive ego case heel who'll grab at any opportunity for glory and self promotion, or perhaps an up-and-coming face who takes the belt to solidify themselves as a main event talent by taking on all comers. There's plenty of ways to book it - perhaps even give the title a specific focus so that it's a counter to the X Division title; A brawling or technical focus, perhaps (I think you can still do this?)</p><p> </p><p>

I'd try and keep the title separate from the established main event crew for a time. For all the representatives talk of glory and history, maybe even have the TNA champion aggressively promoting their title. Over time, that can lead to a champion vs. champion match that could spark a brand split, or just become a regular feature of one of your annual PPVs. Maybe even bring back the NWA's Clash of the Champions show for one of your events.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James Casey" data-cite="James Casey" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40504" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Have an 'NWA representative' start appearing at your show - someone like Ric Flair or Ricky Steamboat with ties to that company. After appearing in the background of angles a few times, let them have their say: The NWA is looking to crowd a new World champion, and they've come to TNA to find the perfect fit.<p> </p><p> There's then the option of having competitors vying for the chance to be the new champion, trying to impress the representative with wins etc., or just flat-out running a tournament to put the winner over. You could have the representative taking a shine to someone on the roster, maybe a massive ego case heel who'll grab at any opportunity for glory and self promotion, or perhaps an up-and-coming face who takes the belt to solidify themselves as a main event talent by taking on all comers. There's plenty of ways to book it - perhaps even give the title a specific focus so that it's a counter to the X Division title; A brawling or technical focus, perhaps (I think you can still do this?)</p><p> </p><p> I'd try and keep the title separate from the established main event crew for a time. For all the representatives talk of glory and history, maybe even have the TNA champion aggressively promoting their title. Over time, that can lead to a champion vs. champion match that could spark a brand split, or just become a regular feature of one of your annual PPVs. Maybe even bring back the NWA's Clash of the Champions show for one of your events.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I like this idea a lot. It's kind of what I was thinking, but I couldn't really tie it together logically. This makes perfect sense though. Thanks!</p>

Archived