Real world equivalents of C-verse promotions to watch?

Hi there,

as a much bigger fan of TEW than actual real life wrestling, I sometimes wonder how a particular style of a C-verse promotion would look like in action. I understand that SWF is something like WWE and the Japanese Big Two is equivalent to the big Japanese companies in real world, but not much more (and also I get the impression that watching current WWE matches would not be too good to get the feeling of how SWF matches are supposed to look like).

Is there a list of stylistic equivalents of C-verse promotions in the real world? I don't care about differences in size, individual characters etc., I'd just like to watch a few different matches to get what the difference between, say, TCW, NYCW and RAW looks like in the ring.

SWF- I'd probably compare SWF to WWE 00'-02'. The product shares more similar features to the earlier parts of the Attitude Era, having high risque, cult, comedy and mainstream settings. Despite this, SWF has seemed to be the definitive leader in the Tuesday night wars, is easily the most popular promotion in the world and has an incredibly talented and stacked roster top to bottom unlike the early Attitude Era.

TCW- Most people say that TCW is comparable to early 90s WCW. I don't have that much knowledge of that era but I'd agree with that, but the wrestling style would have elements of promotions like ROH and modern NJPW.

USPW- This is mid to late 80s' WWF easily. Obviously there are some modern influences but it is mostly white meat babyfaces taking on monster heels and is directly targeted towards kids.

RAW- This promotion in my mind is Lucha Underground combined with the early Attitude Era. Wrestling takes a direct backseat to edgy and comedic angles and storylines. The Lucha Underground comparison comes from it being owned by a TV channel and my vision of it being produced in a similar manner to Lucha Underground.

NYCW- I'd say NYCW is a combination of early 80s' and before WWF and PWG. The wrestling style is a very old school style as are the storylines. The PWG aspect comes from the loyal following they have and their dedication to their territory.

I'm open to describing more. Just name the promotion.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful! :) If you think of any particular matches that would exemplify one of those styles, please tell me!

I was most interested in TCW (as I am rading Phantom Stranger's great diary right now) and NYCW (as I wanted to start playing them). But I also always wondered, is there any real difference in match style between the Japanese Top 3 - PGHW, BHOTWG and GCG [yeah I know, the third one is no longer "top" in TEW13, but I am still playing the 2010 edition :p]?

Thanks guys, that's really helpful! :) If you think of any particular matches that would exemplify one of those styles, please tell me!

I was most interested in TCW (as I am rading Phantom Stranger's great diary right now) and NYCW (as I wanted to start playing them). But I also always wondered, is there any real difference in match style between the Japanese Top 3 - PGHW, BHOTWG and GCG [yeah I know, the third one is no longer "top" in TEW13, but I am still playing the 2010 edition :p]?

Yeah, they are quite different.

BHOTWG - they are MMA-influenced puro. So hard-hitting but fairly-realistic, with MMA-style strikes and realistic submissions. And they have super juniors, which mixes high-flying maneuvers in. New Japan is one of the better connections to this, though I always equate Burning Hammer more to mid-90s NJPW than current stuff for some reason.

PGHW - King's Road style so its a particular approach to puro and storytelling. 90s All Japan Pro Wrestling is the most direct connection here, but you could also use early 00s Noah.

GCG - a more traditional puro. So slower, more based on holds than strikes. I'm not sure there is a contemporary puro company that really works for this one.

For TCW, the late 80s / very early 90s WCW correlation works reasonably well. If you want a more modern style, then early era Ring of Honor on a bigger scale would certainly work.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you connect the in-ring product to a specific real company, that does not have to include the presentation of the product. The look and feel, if you will. The angle types could be completely different. So even if someone wants to equate the SWF to current WWE, for a simple example, they could decide not to use any in-ring promos or backstage "magic camera" moments (the bread-and-butter of the WWE product). So what you see, as a view, would be much different even if the product is fundamentally similar.

NYCW - the real-world equivalent that always jumps out to me is Pacific Northwest Wrestling in the '70s. A lot of good footage of that era on Youtube.

OLLIE - CMLL... the current (and traditional) version

MPWF - the comedic era of CMLL when they cut in-character vignettes in settings that reflected their identities (ie Dr. Wagner Junior in a doctors office, Atlantis swimming with dolphins)

SOTBPW - AAA

MAW - The St. Louis Wrestling Club, more popularly know by its show name, Wrestling at the Chase

FCW - WWC

NOTBPW - Think "Wrestling from Chicago." (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWXxP_rvXryBPpjIw7Dl9Tg)

4C - Mid-2000s Ring of Honor

Yeah, they are quite different.

BHOTWG - they are MMA-influenced puro. So hard-hitting but fairly-realistic, with MMA-style strikes and realistic submissions. And they have super juniors, which mixes high-flying maneuvers in. New Japan is one of the better connections to this, though I always equate Burning Hammer more to mid-90s NJPW than current stuff for some reason.

That's weird, when I look at the product descriptions, it's PGHW that has hyper realism in it (which I thought meant MMA influences), not BHOTWG...

That's weird, when I look at the product descriptions, it's PGHW that has hyper realism in it (which I thought meant MMA influences), not BHOTWG...

BHOTWG was very much MMA influenced prior to the INSPIRE walkout and formation which saw numerous top BHOTWG stars leave and form the worked MMA promotion after they wanted to deemphasize MMA aspects. Essentially NJPW-UWF in the 80s is the BHOTWG/INSPIRE scenario

After the promotion died, most of the INSPIRE guys went back to BHOTWG, which is still in a post MMA phase. I'd see those guys similar to how Sakuraba and Suzuki have been used in NJPW in recent years as MMA style guys in a promotion that doesn't really have those elements.

They even had an INSPIRE invasion angle after it died which is a direct real world equivalent to the NJPW/UWFI feud

I haven't looked before and you are correct. The MMA influence in Burning Hammer seems to be gone. I'm sure it used to be there. The INSPIRE rebellion happened because of the MMA influence.

Archived