Scroll to the bottom for a bare bones version of the body of this post if you don't fancy reading all of what follows.

I need a fair bit of help... I'd like to think that I'm pretty sharp in regards to the American side of things. However, I've never ever booked a Japanese promotion, and to give me a different experience from my SWF save, I've started a game with BHOTWG.

Now that the boring backstory has come and gone... I've never watched Japanese style wrestling (although I'd love to watch NJPW, if anyone can point me in the direction of tapings to watch), so I have no clue how to book it. I understand the mechanics such as the 4 months on 2 off, and community any loyalty, and such, but as far as booking, I'm lost. I look at product definition and they don't really use gimmicks, no storylines, no **** finishes... basically 2 guys going to beat the hell out of each other just to see who's better.

Another thing is the touring schedule itself. They still have monthly PPVs, but with no storylines, how do you build excitement and anticipation for a match? I like to immerse myself in my product, and though I don't write much out, I visualize everything in my head, and I hear the characters speaking in my mind and I can feel their emotions when they win or lose etc. With the default product, how would I do that with a Japanese product? Another thing on the touring, from my limited understanding of New Japan, each month has some sort of theme. One month would be best of the super juniors, one month is tag based tournament etc. Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding?

To summarize, how can I book the product in general, and how do I allow myself to be immersed in the product without the use of storylines, angles (default ratio is 100% matches) or screwjob finishes to progress the characters disdain? I don't want to necessarily book American style with Japanese talent; I want to keep true to the essence of BHOTWG, but I'm unsure how.

I'd be the same, I need storylines to keep me interested. But even tho its not compulsory to have them you can still add them for your own same. plus's it keeps build momentum...

NJPW have feuds and storylines to varying degrees .

Bare in mind I'm not a die hard watcher of NJPW but from what I gather they have normal PPV with a few tournaments throughout the year.

Grande Tag League

Super J cup

Best of the super Juniors (I think )

G1 Climax (round robin tournament )

The run up to th PPVs .. say.. Destruction in Kobe there would be Road to Destruction in Kobe which would be their tours to build to the PPV. There weekly TV show would be highlights from the tours that week.

I've only watched a few ppvs but on those PPV there would be a hype video with what I assume is each person talking about and hyping up the match.

I dunno what they do on the tour shows tho.

what about fine tuning the product to have 80 percent matches. that gives room for a couple of hype videos on the tours.

A lot of excitement and build is generated through trios matches and face offs. Take NJPW for example. They're building up to Tanahashi/Okada at WK10 so what they've done is have them face off in tag or trios matches where they both get some time to face off withe each other but the big money match is still protected. Usually there is the big challenge to kick off the build but most of the build comes from small face offs. Then there is a hype video at the PPV event where it highlights the workers, the build and has interview portions where the workers speak about the match/what it means to them etc.

Tour shows generally see a large portion of 3v3 or 4v4 matches in that regard.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522916

The guide thread might help.

One thing that might be workable, even though its not true to current puro (that I know of) would be post-"fight" interviews, done MMA style. A victorious champion could maybe call out his next challenger, etc.

Holy crap! I don't know how I never saw that post before but it was totally awesome Bigpapa! Thanks for sharing it. It got me pretty pumped to fire up a new Burning Hammer game.

Archived