Not JUST a gimme Rules thread... I need HELP!

We have a great thread for helping others stick to some guidelines. What I need is an intervention. No matter what game world I am playing, I always end up with a very bloated roster of guys that "I REEEAAALLLY want". I always have way too many top names to give adequate time and energy to.

What are your suggestions to keeping a streamlined roster? Does anyone else have this problem? I am a "Name" junkie. I want them all. Someone please talk me down from this insanity. :0)

What do you do to keep this from happening to you?

We have a great thread for helping others stick to some guidelines. What I need is an intervention. No matter what game world I am playing, I always end up with a very bloated roster of guys that "I REEEAAALLLY want". I always have way too many top names to give adequate time and energy to.

What are your suggestions to keeping a streamlined roster? Does anyone else have this problem? I am a "Name" junkie. I want them all. Someone please talk me down from this insanity. :0)

I don't tend to do that often because I play real world realistically, but if you've got way too many names, I suggest fire some or make a brand split.

When I reach that point I set an arbitrary population floor and fire anyone under that floor without even looking at the names.

I always have that problem. Whenever I hit International I raid all of the international companies. I generally slaugher 21CW and RAW among other promotions. This time around I did the same and after 2 or 3 months I looked at the page that shows when the last time people were used and I fired every single one I'd neglected. Even though I loved their look, bio, skills etc. I wasn't using them and thus didn't need them. I shortlisted them in case I'm ever hungy for new talent.

I used to be the same way. The biggest - and, at times, the hardest - thing I had to learn was that you can't push everyone. It seems simple, but it isn't. If you're running WWF in 1998, for example, you may want to push The Rock and Triple H, but if your main event is already bloated, you may have to at least wait a little while and let them toil in the midcard for a couple of years.

Don't sign any non-jobber unless you have a specific role/plan for him.

Example: In my CGC game, I signed Akima Brave because I needed a face to take Zeus Maxmillion's spot in the midcard, as I turned Zeus heel with the plan to push him. (Funnily enough, he even assumed Zeus' former role as Stevie Grayson's tag partner.) I brought in Darryl Devine to join Elite and be the eventual replacement for either Deeley or Nate Johnson. Bringing Flash Savage in reunited the Canadian Blondes, which will completely shake up the midcard down the line.

If you do have plans for all these guys, then yeah, do a brand split or a multiplayer game or whatever. And remember what soxfan said above - you can't always push everyone.

This is my #1 problem in games also. I end up with massively bloated rosters and hate letting anyone go, ending up with quite a few stagnant.

The best trick is to draw up a list similar to this:

WORLD TITLE:

FACE: Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Name 4, Name 5

HEEL: Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Name 4, Name 5

UPPER-MID TITLE:

FACE: Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Name 4, Name 5

HEEL: Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Name 4, Name 5

etc

And fill it out with your wrestlers ranked by overness / who is your favourite / who you have the most plans for / who you have most fun booking / whatever. You can obviously have more than 10 names per belt, but I find anything beyond that is too many without a roster split.

Anyone not on the list gets cut. Rather than just firing them though, I'd recommend having them killed off by a Monster Heel or Evil Stable, in angles where they get attacked and spectacularly injured, and then are never seen in your fed again. That way their departure makes sense, instead of them magically disappearing.

You could also do small Loser Leaves Fed / Loser Retires type stipulations with the same effect.

You could also try to have some interesting workers in every region of the card. WWF also had Guys like Benoit, Edge, Guerrero, etc. as Midcarders without making them Mainventers, even though everyone saw they were great. I've always tried to have every region of the card with great workers.

You could also try to have some interesting workers in every region of the card. WWF also had Guys like Benoit, Edge, Guerrero, etc. as Midcarders without making them Mainventers, even though everyone saw they were great. I've always tried to have every region of the card with great workers.

That's usually easy to do. The Cornellverse has so so so many phenomenal workers. You can't push all of them. The other thing to take into consideration is if you have great in ring guys all over the card it's easier to train young talent all over the card without making it unrealistic. I can give two midcard guys a competitive 10 minute match with one in ring general and one young talent. Can't do that with a main event and midcard, or the midcarder gets basically stomped.

You could also run a "hunger games"-storyline. Random guys of your roster/stables get picked and have to fight for their job in a Six-Man/Battle Royal once a year...would also be a great push for one worker, if he survived that.

Archived