There's no official guide, but the Minor Questions thread should be able to help you answer any questions, but I, or other forum members could help you if you want.

Oh, and the best way to gain popularity I find is to "push" your fighters, like in TEW. Match them with popular fighters, put them on PPVs, etc. I haven't confirmed these methods, though, so I'm not 100% sure

Hopefully when (if?) it gets on Steam, people will make an effort to do some. I might do one myself, if I'm still playing it then.

Popularity depends on a number of factors. Prominent matches (ie. main event or co-main), high momentum, decisive finishes, broadcasters and personal characteristics (marketability) all play a part.

Common methods include putting them on a reality TV show (the cost is huge for the benefits in my view, but money is never a problem in the game) and building them up by having them beat weak fighters.

It's actually quite informative to check someone's popularity before and after a fight. I'd thought it built up a lot faster than it actually did until I checked that.

Also keep in mind that popularity really isn't that critical. A barely-known fighter with high momentum is usually a better draw than one who is well-known with no to negative momentum.

Also keep in mind that popularity really isn't that critical. A barely-known fighter with high momentum is usually a better draw than one who is well-known with no to negative momentum.

But having both is of course ideal, and easily attainable.

To raise a fighter's name value, they have to be seen (first and foremost), win, finish, and have some marketability (generally in that order from most to least). Marketability acts as sort of a multiplier. Highly marketable fighters who win and finish on PPV main events will gain the absolute most name value at a time. But main event fights are very much 'chicken or egg' situations in that you probably shouldn't be in a main event unless you're "known" or are fighting someone hugely popular (relatively speaking) on a win streak.

But here's the thing, and why momentum is SO important. Momentum balances out lack of name value, sometimes in a huge way. For example, if you're a high level international company, you need people with high level international name value in your main events. But if you have a mid level international fighter on a two fight losing streak and you pit them against a high level national fighter on a five fight win streak, that exceeds the requirement for a main event in said HLI company (it produces a main event described as 'superb'). This is why so-called 'cans' (low-skilled fighters) can be the MVP of your roster. They can reverse losing streaks of your top fighters AND help develop your next generation by producing the momentum necessary to create buzz (which is essentially all momentum really is, in marketing terms). They're also a form of natural selection. Your wunderkind prospect who can't beat a one-dimensional stand-up fighter probably needs some work before they get to the higher rankings.

But here's the thing, and why momentum is SO important. Momentum balances out lack of name value, sometimes in a huge way. For example, if you're a high level international company, you need people with high level international name value in your main events. But if you have a mid level international fighter on a two fight losing streak and you pit them against a high level national fighter on a five fight win streak, that exceeds the requirement for a main event in said HLI company (it produces a main event described as 'superb'). This is why so-called 'cans' (low-skilled fighters) can be the MVP of your roster.

Better yet, you can throw in an undefeated Unknown fighter with no momentum against your MLI fighter, and it'll still be a good main event for a HLI company, plus an easy win for the established fighter.

As long as the game has a decent supply of fighters, it's easy to make a stop-gap main event by exploiting undefeated nobodies.

Archived