1995: The First Shot

hqdefault.jpg

WCW Monday Nitro - Episode 01

Monday Week 1, September 1995 - Mall of America, Minneapolis, MN

[WCW Monday Nitro Opens to the Nitro on TNT Video Package and cuts to an aerial shot of the Mall of America before coming inside the building to a live crowd.

Eric Bischoff: "From the land of 10,000 lakes, Minneapolis, Minnesota the Mall of America, the only building big enough to hold the debut edition of WCW Monday Nitro. We are coming to you LIVE here on TNT. Hello everybody, I'm Eric Bischoff along with the newest member of the WCW Broadcast Team - he's left the NFL and joined the Big Time, Welcome Steve "Mongo" McMichael."

Mongo: "Oh the NFL's stage has never been as big as this, baby. It's Monday Nitro and now, Mongo is here in WCW. Look at this place, this is a championship place to showcase championship athletes."

Bischoff: "And joining us as the third man to broadcast WCW Monday Nitro, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan"

Brain: "It's nice to meet you Mongrel...I mean Mongo. Bischoff is right, you're in the big time now, welcome to WCW. This is the very first Monday Nitro and it wouldn't be the same without The Brain. All of you humanoids out there, get ready for the ride of your lives."

Bischoff: "We have alot of great things coming your way. In the main event, the WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan will team with Sting to take on the team of The Nature Boy Ric Flair and Arn Anderson. But, lets get started and get to the ring with Jushin "Thunder" Liger taking on Flyin' Brian. "

Grade: 71

============================

Match #1: Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs Flyin' Brian Pillman

A spectacular high flying contest between two of the most exciting stars in the world today. It is physical and back and forth. The finish comes when Jushin Liger is planted a surfboard but is able to get out of it, reverses a DDT attempt by Flyin Brian and bodyslams Pillman. Liger goes uptop for a guillotine leg drop from the top rope and gets the 1...2...3

Match Time: 12:38

Winner: Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Grade: 50

[Following the match, Brian Pillman puts out his hand for a shake, Liger accepts, and Pillman kicks Liger low. He pie faces Liger and stomps on his mask before leaving the ring in frustration shocking everyone. Grade: 52 ]

===============================

[bischoff throws to a video package showing Sting and Hulk Hogan as they meet with mall attendee's earlier today. They sign a bunch of autographs, high five some kids and get a group of fans to say that Sting and Hogan will beat Anderson and Flair tonight.

Grade: 73 ]

=========Commercial Break============

[Mean Gene is in the ring]

Gene: "Alright, welcome back to the debut edition of WCW Monday Nitro LIVE on TNT from the Mall of America. And please welcome my guest at this time, he is the 11 time Heavyweight Champion of the World, The Nature Boy....Ric Flair"

[Flair comes out dressed and ready for later tonight. He shakes Gene's hand as he steps into the ring.]

Gene: "Ric, later tonight in the main event of Monday Nitro live on TNT, you and Arn Anderson will team up against Sting and WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan. But, recently you've had problems with your long time cousin and best friend. "

Flair: "Meannnnnnnnnn, whooooo, Gene. Take a look at this crowd and this venue here tonight. This is the big time. We are standing in the Mall of America and its like standing in the Roman Coliseum. And what an appropriate venue to showcase a match between the four men that have dominated this sport for the last decade. But all anyone wants to talk about is the perceived friction between Double A and the Nature Boy. So here's the scoop...earlier today Arn and I had a little come to Jesus meeting if you will. Arn and I sat down, we talked it out, we figured it out and we are more united than ever before."

Gene: "Really?"

Flair: "Really. While everyone here may have hoped that Ric Flair and Arn Anderson would fracture, the fact is that we are blood. He's my cousin. He's my best friend. Our entire lives where I've been, he's been right there with me. When 11 times I was the man, he was in my corner enforcing it. There is no friction. He knows his role, he knows how this works. We're family..we have each other's backs and that is good news for us and bad news for you Hogan and Sting. You see, we don't like you. We've never liked you and in 2 weeks you two will have to join Savage and Vader and go to war. If we can do our part in ending Hulkamania and making the little Stingers cry, then tonight that is exactly what we're going to do. Get ready Hogan, get ready Sting, The Nature Boy and the Enforcer are coming your way and we...will...take...you....to....school. Whooooooo!"

Gene: "There you have it, the Nature Boy Ric Flair says all is well with him and Arn Anderson and they have a date with Sting and Hulk Hogan here tonight. When we come back, Vader will be in action against The Dungeon of Doom's Zodiac, Live here on Nitro don't you dare go away."

Grade: 75

[A Graphic for WCW Saturday Night airs where WCW Television Champion, The Renegade, will be in action against Sgt. Craig "Pitbull" Pillman.

Grade: 46 ]

================================

Match #2: The Zodiac vs Vader

Vader dominated most of this match with the Zodiac trying to survive. Just as Vader hits the Powerbomb and goes to go up top for a Moonsault, The Shark and Kamala of the Dungeon of Doom, hit the ring and attack Vader. The ref calls for the bell.

Match Time: 6:02

Winner by Disqualification: Vader

Grade: 60

[Following the match, The Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan has also come out and the Dungeon of Doom begins to beat down Vader. Suddenly, Savage, Hogan and Sting all run down to give their partner a hand. All four members of Team Hogan start fighting off the Dugeon but its a brawl as we go to commercial.

Grade: 63 ]

[A commercial for Fall Brawl 1995 airs focusing on War Games featuring The Hulkamaniacs vs The Dungeon of Doom.]

[Nitro returns and Sting and Hogan are still in the ring. A referee is there. Flair & Anderson are on their way out and we are ready to go for the Main Event.]

Match #3 - *MAIN EVENT* : Ric Flair & Arn Anderson vs WCW United States Champion Sting & WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan

This match starts out crazy with all four guys going after each other. Flair and Hogan are on the floor and Sting and Anderson are brawling in the ring. Finally the ref gets things under control and Flair and Anderson take control over Sting, cutting the ring off and working on the Stinger in classic Horsemen style. But, there are signs of friction when Flair calls for a tag and Anderson looks at him but goes back to beating down Sting. Finally Anderson gets Sting into their corner and Flair forcibly tag's Arn's back and takes over chopping down Sting. He struts and delivers a whooo, seemingly to Arn, but this allows Sting time to recoup. Flair is knocked down as Sting tries to get to Hogan. Hogan is tagged in and Flair begs off and tries to tag in Arn who just shakes his head no. Ric is yelling at Arn who screams "I'm not in your shadow anymore" before dropping off the apron and walking out. Flair is left alone and soon its over when Flair eats a Big Boot and the leg drop for the 1...2...3.

Match Time: 9:06

Winners: Hulk Hogan & Sting

Grade: 68

[Following the match, as Hogan and Sting celebrate with the crowd, there is a commotion. Suddenly, Lex Luger jumps the barricade and tries to get into the ring. Security quickly flood him and Luger can be heard screaming at Hogan "I wanna talk to you". Bischoff is in the headset yelling at the production staff to take us to commercial break but before it fades out we can hear Hogan on a mic saying "let him go, if he wants to talk I want to hear it". Nitro fades to a commercial.

Grade: 80 ]

[Nitro is back and Mean Gene is in the ring. Lex Luger has been allowed to enter the ring, Savage and Sting are both in the ring trying to keep Hogan and Luger back but the two are nose to nose with Gene's mic in the middle of them.]

Hogan: "You have something to say, say it."

Luger: "How nice it is to finally look you in the eye, man to man. I need to tell you a story. Three and a half years ago I left this place and I went somewhere else, a place you know all too well. And I went there with one goal in mind and that was to meet you face to face and see if I am as good as I believe I am. You see, Hulk, for years I was told that I could be the next Hulk Hogan. I was told I am the next big superstar in professional wrestling but, being down here in WCW, I could never test myself against The Hulkster. So I went up north to have that test and what happened?

You bailed. You ran away and went to become an 'actor' "

[Hogan is infuriated and has to be held back again.]

Luger: "Well, I've been where you've been and I've been a star there as well and now, I am sick and tired of playing with children. I am sick and tired of being part of a cartoon series come to life. And I am sick and tired of waiting to find out if I am in fact the best. And now, this time, you can't run and hide Hulk because you're the WCW World Heavyweight Champion. "

Hogan: "What is your damn point, Luger? What do you want?"

Luger: "I want you and I want that belt. I want a match with you for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Now, I know I don't work here but I would like that to change. I am here to petition, to beg, to plead, to do whatever I have to do to get WCW to offer me a contract and grant me the match I've waited for my whole life."

Hogan [Gets in Luger's face]: "You think you can hang with the sharks of WCW? You're right Luger, I know where you've been and this is a whole other playing field. You're not ready for Hulkamania. But I'll tell you what, if you want your shot, you get yourself that contract and then anytime, anywhere you get your match. And when you do, I'll only have one question: Whatcha gonna do, Luger? Whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania, the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, runs wild on you? Whatcha gonna do?"

[With that Hogan shoves Luger and the two start trying to brawl. Sting forces Luger out of the ring, the security is there to drag him away while Savage is holding Hogan back. Bischoff, Mongo & Heenan are standing shocked as Nitro goes off the air.

Grade: 83 ]

Final Grade: 72

The mood that Tuesday morning in the WWF Offices was grim. It wasn’t that Summer Slam hadn’t been a success. Financially it had been very successful with over 18,000 in attendance. Monday Night RAW would air that night, having been pre-taped. They were bumped from their normal time slot for a dog show, something that grated on McMahon. But what had caused this particular meeting was the night before. The debut episode of WCW’s new Monday Night Nitro. More specifically it was who had been shown.

Lex Luger.

Two days earlier Lugar had taken part at Summerslam, helping the champion in the main event. While not under an official contract there had been handshakes and verbal agreements about a new long term deal. Yet when he walked out on the enemy’s show it was clear this new threat from one of the long remaining rival promotions was very serious.

McMahon looked to some of his closest advisors, men who had been with him for over a decade or more. All of them felt the same way. The product was growing stale and while the “New Generation” had given rise to stars like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, and Razor Ramon to name a few, it was also host to its fair share of failures. Garbage men, Hockey Players, and Mauntaurs---oh my! The deck needed to be reshuffled if they were going to overcome this threat.

The top talent felt the same and when given the opportunity told McMahon the same thing. They could no longer afford to waste valuable network airtime on buffoonery. As the world champion said “Hogan is working Luger, I got a 500 pound guy in purple pajamas.” Though Hart nor the Undertaker were in the room, a quick check with his advisors told McMahon they felt the same way. Shawn Michaels seemed to sum it up best. “Six months of this suckass TV versus what they’re doing and this company will be second place forever.”

The following week's RAW was being taped that night. It took a few hours but McMahon, always one to enjoy a challenge…and a conquest, set to work rewriting the show. In the days to come he turned to the payroll, trimming the roster, reaching out to some old and new talent, and rebooting his long term creative plans, in some cases ending feuds mid-way for the fresh start. They all had to go with their A-game from now on.

The war had begun.

Eric Bischoff walked into his office with his garment bag fresh from the airport with a confident swagger. He knew that Nitro had been a success even if its numbers had not overtaken WWF's. The ending of Monday Nitro was a swift kick in the balls of Vince McMahon and it felt good to Bischoff and everyone in WCW.

Confidence was high as Eric attended the various meetings through out the day. Everyone in WCW's offices felt that their plan for the last two years was coming to fruition. They were no longer the small, regional promotion, they were a company with a show on prime time that had made a big splash. Hogan, Savage, Okerlund, Heenan, and all of their prior acquisitions were to send a message that WCW could compete with the WWF. Luger walking onto the WCW stage, surely shocking Vince McMahon, made sure that message was clear:

WCW is here to become the #1 company in the world. And Eric Bischoff will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Following a bright, exciting day at the office, Bischoff would leave to plot the continued expansion of World Championship Wrestling.........

.......The war is on.

A quick word to our audience. When we began to plan a real head to head project we could have turned to any era but we believe that while we’ve seen dozens of excellent diaries from the GDS community to our knowledge nobody had ever taken on the Monday Night Wars from the opening salvo. This exciting opportunity was too good to pass up.

Obviously Kimberly will be handling WCW while Consrvtve handles the WWF but we aim at making this a long term project, even after the next TEW is released and making this into an annual episodic experience. As such once when we hit 1996 we’ll be creating a new diary thread linking to and from this thread as a new chapter in the war.

We hope you’ll join us in this retelling of the greatest era in sports entertainment history.

This is the Monday Night War.

http://i.imgur.com/r7IaSbO.jpg

World Championship Wrestling

World Heavyweight Champion

http://i.imgur.com/kxCzmPC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/csBCrp0.jpg

Hulk Hogan

United States Champion

http://i.imgur.com/uTavl24.jpg

http://imgur.com/pEvVv8p.jpg

Sting

World Tag Team Champions

http://i.imgur.com/MFAYQEi.jpg

http://imgur.com/OJAs15R.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/zpQV30g.jpg

Bunkhouse Buck and Dick Slater

Television Champion

http://i.imgur.com/r3hiL5s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gRRDd70.jpg

The Renegade

ROSTER

On Screen

Alex Wright (Face)

Arn Anderson (Heel)

Big Bubba Rogers (Heel)

Booker T (Heel)

Brian Knobbs (Face)

Brian Pillman (Face)

Bunkhouse Buck (Heel)

Chris Kanyon (Face)

Chuck Williams (Face)

Cobra (Face)

Dean Malenko (Heel)

Diamond Dallas Page (Heel)

Dick Slater (Heel)

Earl Robert Eaton (Heel)

Eddie Guerrero (Face)

Fidel Sierra (Heel)

Hugh Morrus (Heel)

Hulk Hogan (Face)

Jerry Sags (Face)

Jim Duggan (Face)

Joey Maggs (Face)

Johnny B. Badd (Face)

Julio Sanchez (Face)

Jushin Thunder Liger (Face)

Kamala (Heel)

Kurasawa (Face)

Lex Luger (Face)

Lord Steven Regal (Heel)

Marcus Bagwell (Face)

Mark Starr (Face)

Maxx Muscle (Heel)

Meng (Heel)

Mr. JL (Face)

Randy Savage (Face)

Ric Flair (Heel)

Ricky Santana (Heel)

Rip Rogers (Heel)

Road Warrior Hawk (Face)

Sabu (Heel)

Scott Armstrong (Face)

Scott Norton (Heel)

Scotty Riggs (Face)

Sgt. Craig Pittman (Heel)

Steve Austin (Heel)

Stevie Ray (Heel)

Sting (Face)

Terry Richards (Heel)

The Giant (Heel)

The Renegade (Face)

The Shark (Heel)

The Sheik (Heel)

The Taskmaster (Heel)

Tim Horner (Face)

V.K. Wallstreet (Heel)

Vader (Face)

Zodiac (Heel)

Managers

Col. Robert Parker

Diamond Doll

Jimmy Hart

Lanny Poffo

Sensuous Sherri

Sonny Onoo

Teddy Long

The Master

Referees:

Brady Boone

Mickey Jay

Nick Patrick

Randy Anderson

Announcers and Interviewers

Bobby Heenan

Dusty Rhodes

Eric Bischoff

Gene Okerlund

Larry Zbyszko

Mark Madden

Mike Tenay

Steve McMichael

Tony Schiavone

WCW Owner

Ted Turner

Off Screen

Jody Hamilton

Paul Orndorff

Pez Whatley

=============================

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/WWF%2090s_zpsohvyexlf.jpg

The World Wrestling Federation

World Heavyweight Champion

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/Titles/wwfworld1_zpswg3vdqbo.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Diesel%207_zpsdmzlypch.jpg

Diesel

Intercontinental Champion

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/Titles/wwfic_zpsnqprxtw5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Shawn%20Michaels%207_zpsvkisomgv.jpg

Shawn Michaels

World Tag Team Champions

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/Titles/wwftag_zpsjtoootmv.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Owen%20Hart%208_zpsmmaxhsbn.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Yokozuna_zps4tm7uu0z.jpg

Owen Hart and Yokozuna

Women’s Champion

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/Titles/wwfwomen_zpsxqatb0pe.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Bertha%20Faye_zpsk5ketrjz.jpg

Bertha Faye

ROSTER

On Screen

Superstars

1-2-3 Kid (Face)

AC Connor (Heel)

Ahmed Johnson (Face)

Aldo Montoya (Face)

Alofa (Heel)

Alundra Blayze (Face)

Big Bam Bigelow (Face)

Barry Horowitz (Face)

Bart Gunn (Face)

Bertha Faye (Heel)

Billy Gunn (Face)

Bob Backlund (Heel)

Bob Holly (Face)

Bret Hart (Face)

Bushwhacker Butch (Face)

Bushwhacker Luke (Face)

Dean Douglas (Heel)

Diesel (Face)

Doink (Heel)

Eli Blu (Heel)

Fatu (Heel)

Hakushi (Heel)

Henry O. Godwinn (Face)

Hunter Hearst Helmsley (Heel)

Isaac Yankem DDS (Heel)

Jacob Blu (Heel)

Jeff Hardy (Face)

Jeff Jarrett (Heel)

Kama (Heel)

King Kong Bundy (Heel)

King Mabel (Heel)

Man Mountain Rock (Face)

Matt Hardy (Face)

Matu (Heel)

Owen Hart (Heel)

Rad Radford (Heel)

Razor Ramon (Face)

Samu (Heel)

Savio Vega (Face)

Shawn Michaels (Face)

Sir Mo (Heel)

Sycho Sid (Heel)

The British Bulldog (Heel)

The Brooklyn Brawler (Heel)

The Undertaker (Face)

Waylon Mercy (Heel)

Yokozuna (Heel)

Managers

Harvey Wippleman

Jim Cornette

Mr. Fuji

Paul Bearer

Sunny

Ted Dibiase

Uncle Zebekiah

Referees:

Earl Hebner

Jack Doan

Jim Korderas

Mike Chioda

Tim White

Announcers and Interviewers

Dok Hendrix

Howard Finkel

Jerry Lawler

Jim Ross

Vince McMahon

WWF President

Gorilla Monsoon

Off Screen

Bruce Pritchard

Chief Jay Strongbow

Dave Hebner

Gerald Brisco

Jack Lanza

JJ Dillon

Linda McMahon

Pat Patterson

Rene Goulet

Sgt Slaughter

Shane McMahon

Tony Garea

Vince Russo

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/MondayNightRaw_zpsekdsu84h.png

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Vince%20McMahon_zpsyycmt4gx.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Jerry%20Lawler%205_zpsgoitnab1.jpg

Vince McMahon welcomes the audience to Monday Night RAW and introduced his broadcast partner Jerry the King Lawler who takes shots at the Boston Garden crowd. McMahon goes on to hype tonight’s big main event of the British Bulldog versus the Undertaker. Lawler asks if the Bulldog can be extradited from the UK after tonight because it’s his regal prediction that the British Bulldog is going to finally bury the Undertaker for good!

Grade: 72

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Savio%20Vega_zps69nbsvvw.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/VS-logo_zpsyxkzg251.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Waylon%20Mercy_zpsnzjm7y2r.jpg

A good opening match that sees Mercy control most of the time but Vega doesn’t give up, always finding a way to kick out of a close two count. He finally turns it on, putting Mercy on his heels. Vega gets the crowd into it, letting them count along as he lays ten right hands into Mercy’s head. With his opponent dazed, Vega locks on a Cobra clutch which McMahon refers to a ‘la Cobra’. Mercy doesn’t last long after that.

Winner by Submission: Savio Vega

Grade: 61

Savio leaves the ring, disappointed in the loss when Jerry Lawler gets up and gains his attention as he berates Vega for the loss, mocking him. Vega begins to get heated but he doesn’t have a chance to do anything when Mercy comes from behind and smashes him across the back with a chairr. Lawler applauds and shakes Mercy’s hand as authorities help Vega to the back with medical attention.

Grade: 58

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Fatu%202_zpskcjhtoeu.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Samu%201_zpsn1drjsqx.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Lloyd%20Anoai_zpsd32joviq.jpg

Fatu is walking backstage when he stops coming face to face with his family members Samu and Alofa. They question him on his change of heart, pointing out that he says he wants to make a difference but the only way that will happen is if comes back to his family and his roots. Fatu for his part stays quiet, shaking his head before moving past them but Samu shouts after him that Fatu knows he’s right.

Grade: 37

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Razor%20Ramon_zpsrhuqz5pt.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/123%20Kid_zpsdf5za6db.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/VS-logo_zpsyxkzg251.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Eli%20Blu_zpsjgv9yhne.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Jacob%20Blu_zpstpvbevyc.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Dutch%20Mantell_zpslddecjif.jpg

The Blus spend the first half of the match keeping the Kid in their corner but when he makes the hot tag to Ramon, he begins cleaning house. Focusing on Jacb it doesn’t take very long for Ramon to put the big man up in the Razor’s Edge. The Kid intercedes to make sure the pinfall isn’t interrupted.

Winners by Pinfall: Razor Ramon & the 1-2-3 Kid

Grade: 75

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Shawn%20Michaels%207_zpsvkisomgv.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Michael%20Hayes%2095_zpsrikkhgsl.jpg

Shawn Michaels is backstage about to be interviewed by Dok Hendrix when....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Triple%20H%203_zpsbwatspb2.jpg

Hunter Hearst Helmsley walks up and suggests that Michaels has had enough face time and the day has come for the greatest wrestler in the WWF to get the attention he deserves. Michaels takes it in stride mentioning to Hendrix that Helmsley can have the interview but he’d better talk fast to avoid half of America falling asleep half way through his answer like they do his matches. Before things turn physical a host of officials separate the two men and Hendrix as usual looks clueless.

Grade: 62

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Bret%20Hart_zpsgpbyvmnt.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/British%20Bulldog%2010_zps0jdkldwd.jpg

Bret Hart is standing by talking with some officials when the British Bulldog walks past, nudging him intentionally with his shoulder. The two come face to face with the Bulldog telling the Hitman to watch his match tonight with the Undertaker and take some notes so that someday he’ll be as great as the Bulldog is. Hart doesn’t take kindly to the remarks but the Bulldog walks off with a smirk before the situation escalates any further.

Grade: 76

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Paul%20Bearer%2095_zpsexr1p3pv.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/The%20Undertaker_zpsh1hbppth.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/VS-logo_zpsyxkzg251.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/British%20Bulldog%2010_zps0jdkldwd.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Jim%20Cornette%205_zpsigm3zpmi.jpg

The Bulldog jumps the Undertaker before the bell rings and controls the match but no matter what he does he can’t keep the Undertaker down for more than a few seconds before he sits up, getting angrier every time. Finally Bulldog is stopped in his tracks by a solid right hand and from there it’s all Deadman for the next several moments. The Bulldog gets a brief reprieve when the referee is knocked down and Cornette climbs into the ring. Bulldog holds the Undertaker and Cornette runs with his tennis racket but the Undertaker moves at the last moment and Cornette cracks Bulldog with the racket. Cornette is quickly sent from the ring and when Bulldog staggers towards his opponent, the Undertaker scoops him up and delivers a Tombstone for the win.

Winner by Pinfall: The Undertaker

Grade: 74

The lights dim and the Undertaker kneels in the ring as Paul Bearer holds up the urn but suddenly he’s cast in a single white spotlight. Bearer looks confused as the Undertaker stands and looks for the source. McMahon informs us to stay tuned because after the break WWF President Gorilla Monsoon will be here with a big announcement which is met with an eye roll from the King.

Grade: 77

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Gorilla%20Monsoon_zpsms4cacv0.jpg

Gorilla Monsoon comes to the ring and says that he is here tonight to lay down the law. After Summerslam the WWF had grown concerned about the actions of a particular individual and tonight solidified that they have abused their position.

He then asks Jerry Lawler to stand and tells him that after reviewing the King’s behavior during the Hart-Yankem match at Summerslam and his actions tonight with Savio Vega, and furthermore, after reviewing his contract it is for both commentary and wrestling and in the opinion of their legal counsel they will not be in breach of contract by telling Lawler that he is fired as a commentator on RAW and will exclusively be an in-ring competitor. And by the way next week he’ll face Savio Vega in this very ring! Lawler is incensed but he quiets when the music of Sycho Sid hits.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Sid%20Vicious%208_zps9e4jisvq.jpg

Sid gets in the ring and instantly in the face of Monsoon demanding to know why he did not receive his Intercontinental title shot at Summerslam. Why was Monsoon protecting that runt Michaels and everyone else in the WWF?! Monsoon stands his ground but only for a moment as Sid shoves him down to the mat and says he’ll show Monsoon why he rules the world.

He advanced on the WWF President when suddenly the world champion Diesel runs down to the ring.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Diesel%207_zpsdmzlypch.jpg

The fight is on with both men unloading on the other but a miss by Sid allows Diesel to clothesline him over the top rope. As the Champion helps the President Sid is backing away from the ring, looking like he’s going to rip his own hair out and screaming that he rules the world.

Vince McMahon encourages everyone to tune in next week for another edition of Monday Night RAW!!

Grade: 64

Overall: 67

http://i.imgur.com/CVJ3u99.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/WWF%2090s_zpsohvyexlf.jpg

Roster Restructuring

In the last week the World Wrestling Federation has ‘future endeavored’ the following:

-Bert Centeno

-Brian Walsh

-Jason Ahrndt

-Rich Myers

-Wolfie D

-Jamie Dundee

-Scott Taylor

-Johnny Swinger

-Sonny Rogers

-Carl Ouellet

-Duke Droese

-Todd Pettengill

-Clarence Mason

-Hugo Savinovich

-Marty Jannetty

-Tony Chimel

The Rumor Mill

*Backstage sources claim that the WWF front office has been very busy, signing reportedly over ten talents, many of them familiar faces to the wrestling audience. Our source however was very tight lipped as to their identities saying it wasn’t worth their job to “kiss and tell.”

*While some have expected this new creative vision to phase out what has been seen as a lackluster women’s division there are indications that the WWF may be in the mood to reinvest in the fairer sex with some new talents on their way in.

*Is the locker room divided? Many unnamed sources say backstage tensions are on the rise between members of the Hart family and a group calling themselves the Kliq made up of World Champion Diesel, IC Champion Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, 1-2-3 Kid, and Hunter Hearst Helmsley. While it’s far from anything physical sources claim Hart is growing increasingly frustrated by the group’s power hungry reputation and their insistence, in his eyes, of putting themselves ahead of the business. It is unknown how this one will turn out if true.

*Jerry Lawler’s firing as an announcer is likely short term or at least not permanent. His replacement will make his “debut” this Monday. Most expect this to be Lawler’s last major run as an in-ring competitor after a stellar career.

*A former talent will be returning soon to perform as a character who is already on television.

Monday Night Ratings

WCW Monday Nitro----5.30

WWF Monday Night RAW----5.98*

*RAW aired on Tuesday night leaving Nitro unopposed on its debut episode.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZnLSKAdcFHs/T-FK-kFNAPI/AAAAAAAAFCM/J6MIzfyNpxI/s1600/vlcsnap-2012-06-19-23h00m27s129.png

WCW Saturday Night

Saturday Week 1, September 1995 – Center Stage – Atlanta, Georgia

• Harlem Heat def The American Males and earn a shot at Bunkhouse Buck & Dick Slater for the WCW Tag Team Titles at Fall Brawl. Matched ended when Sherri distracted the ref while Booker T did the axe kick on Bagwell allowing Stevie Ray to get the 3 count.

• Tony Schiavone & Dusty Rhodes talk about Lex Luger’s shocking appearance at the end of the debut edition of WCW Monday Nitro and wonder what WCW will do

• Eddie Guerrero def Big Bubba Rogers with the frog splash in an evenly paced match

• We go back to Nitro to see Brian Pillman’s behavior following his loss to Jushin Thunder Liger. We are told that Brian Pillman will address this, LIVE this Monday on Nitro from Miami, Florida

• Mean Gene discusses the WCW Hotline where he says to call to get the exclusive scoop “on a self professed country music star causing all sorts of drama for the competitor up north”

• The Renegade def Sgt. Craig Pitman in a WCW TV Title Defense with a splash

• Ric Flair & Arn Anderson come face to face in a interview. Anderson says he is tired of living in Flair’s shadow. He wants that match at Fall Brawl and Flair and Anderson end up in a slap fest before a brawl breaking out. Wrestlers and officials have to keep them apart as WCW Saturday Night goes off the air.

Show Grade: 60

13745-logo-superstars-wwf.jpg

September----Sunday---Week 1

*Bam Bam Bigelo def Hakushi via diving headbutt from the second rope (Grade: 70)

*King Kong Bundy and Kama def the Bushwackers via Avalanche (Grade: 53)

*Hunter Hearst Helmsley def Man Mountain Rock via Pedigree. (Grade: 49)

Overall Grade: 65

hqdefault.jpg

WCW Monday Nitro - Episode 02

Monday Week 2, September 1995 – Sunshine Pavilion, Miami, FL

[WCW Monday Nitro Opens to the Nitro on TNT Video Package and cuts to an aerial shot of downtown Miami before coming inside the building to a live crowd.

Eric Bischoff: "Live from downtown Miami, the Sunshine Pavilion. WCW Monday Nitro only on TNT, it doesn’t get any better than LIVE. (Pyro shoots off). And when we say we are hot it is hot because tonight in our main event Sting will defend the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship against Meng of the Dungeon of Doom. Joining me at the broadcast booth for week number 2 is NFL great, All Pro Steve “Mongo” McMichael. How are you man?"

Mongo: "Oh baby, I am excited and ready to go. Monday Nitro in Miami, baby and the Stinger in the main event. "

Bischoff: "That is not all, tonight we will hear from Brian Pillman as well as someone near and dear to the heart of the man to my left, Double A Arn Anderson. What do you think about that, Bobby “The Brain” Heenan? "

Brain: "I am heartbroken tonight. Never in a million years would I have ever thought that Ric Flair and Arn Anderson would come to blows like they did on Saturday Night and now, they’re going to fight at Fall Brawl? I refuse to believe that."

Bischoff: "You’re gonna have to Bobby because it has been signed, sealed and it will happen this Sunday on Pay Per View. Ric Flair is not in the building and Mean Gene will speak to Arn Anderson a bit later on. We will see all that and more but for now we go to the ring to kick things off here on Nitro with tag team action."

Grade: 65

============================

Match #1: The American Males vs WCW World Tag Team Champions – Bunkhouse Buck & Dirty Dick Slater – WCW World Tag Team Title Match

Since Harlem Heat won the right to challenge for the tag titles at Fall Brawl last Saturday, WCW is giving the loser’s in that match the right to challenge tonight. The match is a brawl pretty much from the beginning and the champs take control for most of the match. Finally Marcus Bagwell tags in and starts cleaning house but Col Parker gets on the ring apron distracting the ref. This distracts Bagwell as well and Bunkhouse Buck slides in and hands a concealed weapon to Dick Slater. He blasts Bagwell in the head for the 1…2…3.

Match Time: 9:16

Winners and still WCW World Tag Team Champions: Bunkhouse Buck & Dirty Dick Slater

Grade: 55

[Following the match, Harlem Heat hit the ringside area and the two teams have a staredown/shouting match prior to their match at Fall Brawl. Grade: 59 ]

[A graphic airs highlighting Dean Malenko versus Johnny B Badd, NEXT.

Grade: 53 ]

Match #2: Dean Malenko vs Johnny B. Badd

Bischoff announces prior to this match that this Saturday during the main event of WCW Saturday Night Dean Malenko will take on Eddie Guerrero and Diamond Dallas Page and the winner of that match will challenge The Renegade for the WCW TV Title at Fall Brawl.

This match is back and forth all through the match. Dean dominates after a few mins of quick action and then Johnny gets the come back. Johnny hits Dean with the Kiss That Don’t Miss punch but Dean kicks out at a two count. Dean ducks a clothesline and nails a drop kick and sets up Badd for a brain buster. He drops him and covers 1…2…the bell rings as time has expired here on Nitro.

Match Time: 10:00

Decision: Time Limit Draw

Grade: 63

[Mean Gene is in the entrance way. He praises the great match we just saw and brings out his guest at this time, Flyin Brian Pillman. Gene shows the world Brian’s actions from last week and demands an explanation. Pillman says he is sorry, there is no excuse for what he did. He let his emotions get the better of him and for that he is truly sorry. Pillman was just so excited to be the opening match on the debut edition of Monday Nitro and to blow it like that? He is just so ashamed and he has requested this time to ask a favor. Jushin Liger is watching this, please, this Sunday come to Winston Salem North Carolina. Please come to Fall Brawl and meet Flyin Brian in the ring so that I may apologize to you man to man and face to face. ]

[More Nitro after this brief time out.]

Grade: 62

[A commercial is ran for WCW Fall Brawl featuring War Games as The Hulkamaniacs vs The Dungeon of Doom will take place LIVE this Sunday on Pay Per View.

Grade: 78 ]

[The announce team welcome us back to Monday Nitro and they replay Lex Luger’s shocking arrival last week on Nitro. We are then told that WCW Executives have informed them that a decision is near on the status of Lex Luger and that it will be announced next Monday Night, LIVE on Nitro from Nashville, Tennessee.]

Grade: 76 ]

[Mean Gene is in the backstage area with Arn Anderson. Arn says that for years he has had to follow in the shadows of Ric Flair and that he blames himself because he allowed Ric to expect Arn to stay in that position. Arn used to pride himself on being the Enforcer of the Four Horsemen and the heavy to the Nature Boy but Ric began to take advantage of him. Ric began to expect Arn to do his bidding. The friendship became one sided and it was all about protecting Ric Flair even if it meant Arn Anderson could not advance. Well, not anymore. I have to do this. I have to face my cousin, my best friend and I have to step out of his shadow. This Sunday at Fall Brawl, Arn Anderson is coming for The Nature Boy Ric Flair. I hope he gives me all that he’s got because I am sure going to take my best shot and put you down Ric courtesy of the DDT.

The Main Event is NEXT, don’t miss it.

Grade: 71 ]

Match #3 - *MAIN EVENT* for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship : Meng w/The Taskmaster vs WCW U.S. Heavyweight Champion Sting w/Randy Savage

Meng dominates early but soon Sting is fighting back. He goes for the scorpion deathlock but The Taskmaster is on the ring apron. Savage pulls him off and starts brawling with Sullivan and Meng goes for the Tongan Spike. Sting grabs the metal spike out of Meng’s hand, hits him in the neck with it, slams him and climbs up top and drops a big splash. Sting covers, 1…2…3.

Match Time: 12:25

Winner and still WCW United States Heavyweight Champion: Sting

[Following the match, The Zodiac and Kamala hit the ring and the four members of the Dungeon of Doom start beating down Savage & Sting. Hogan and Vader come running out with chairs and they hit the ring and we get a big brawl with the announcers scrambling away from ringside as WCW Monday Nitro goes off the air.

Grade: 68 ]

Final Grade: 70

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/MondayNightRaw_zpsekdsu84h.png

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Vince%20McMahon_zpsyycmt4gx.jpg

Vince McMahon welcomes everyone to Monday Night RAW. He reminds the audience that last week WWF President Gorilla Monsoon fired Jerry the King Lawler from his position at the announce table. Well tonight it’s McMahon’s honor to announce his new broadcast partner and welcome back to the World Wrestling Federation….

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Roddy%20Piper_zps2pylzras.jpg

Rowdy Roddy Piper, who is all smiles joins McMahon and pronounces that not only is he home in the WWF, if you thought he was hot last go around you ain’t seen nothing yet!

Grade: 73

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/Titles/wwftag_zpsjtoootmv.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/Titles/wwftag_zpsjtoootmv.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Jim%20Cornette%205_zpsigm3zpmi.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Owen%20Hart%208_zpsmmaxhsbn.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Yokozuna_zps4tm7uu0z.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Mr%20Fuji_zpstoycdsfl.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/VS-logo_zpsyxkzg251.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Billy%20Gunn_zpsvxbwalt5.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Bart%20Gunn_zpskrmze4wg.jpg

The Tag Team Championship is on the line as these two teams go head to head. The Gunns have some success against Owen Hart but once the massive Yokozuna gets involved they’re both leveled. The champs go to work and once Bart Gunn meets the business end of a Bonzai Drop, it’s academic.

Winners by Pinfall and still WWF Tag Team Champions: Owen Hart and Yokozuna

Grade: 67

The champions are enjoying their victory when two men walk out into the aisle.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Razor%20Ramon_zpsrhuqz5pt.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/123%20Kid_zpsdf5za6db.jpg

Razor congratulates them on their win but says that if they want to be real champions they’ll accept a new challenge. He goes on to propose a match at the next In Your House for those same tag team titles. Hart and Yokozuna are ready to brush them off until Cornette gets on the microphone and says a two bit Scarface and a hundred pound nobody don’t stand a chance against the greatest tag team of all time so they accept! The champions look less than pleased but the challengers are very happy as they head to the back—their mission accomplished.

Grade: 57

We’re then taken to a pre-taped statement from the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Ted%20DiBiase%2012_zpsbjyz1d7b.jpg

He says that effectively immediately his Million Dollar Corporation is hiring and he will be scouting plenty of new recruits. Furthermore he is sick and tired of failures taking his money and not delivering. Thus, Kama and King Kong Bundy are fired. Finally, people around the World Wrestling Federation need to be reminded just who they’re dealing with. Everyone has a price for the Million Dollar Man and soon enough, we’ll know it applies across the board.

Grade: 74

Vince McMahon says we’re going to go to the back now for an interview with former WWF Woman’s Champion Alundra Blayze.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Alundra%20Blayze_zpsqcy04mux.jpg

When the cameras go to the back however we’re met with a scene of Blayze down and out in her locker room and officials attending to her. McMahon has no answers as to who did this but he can only assume its current champion Bertha Faye. Piper mentions that there is no honor amongst thieves and says he lays the blame for this at the feet of Harvey Wimpleman who he refers to as Jack Spratt.

Grade: 49

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Savio%20Vega_zps69nbsvvw.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/VS-logo_zpsyxkzg251.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Jerry%20Lawler%205_zpsgoitnab1.jpg

The King doesn’t take his opponent very seriously but that changes when Vega slaps the taste out of his mouth and goes on the offensive. Lawler is battered from corner to corner before escaping to the outside. As the referee counts, Lawler locks eyes with Piper and the two begin a war of words about Piper being his successor. Lawler doesn’t realize the count until Piper tells him it’s at nine and by then he can’t make it back in. Lawler is furious as the referee calls for the bell, blaming Piper for his loss.

Winner by Countout: Savio Vega

Grade: 53

Lawler is still irate following the bell and keeps getting in Piper’s face with McMahon having to separate them. As Lawler leaves, promising revenge, McMahon reminds Piper that Lawler was fired for getting involved with the wrestlers and he hopes the Hot Rod will learn from the King’s mistake which Piper acknowledges.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Michael%20Hayes%2095_zpsrikkhgsl.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Diesel%207_zpsdmzlypch.jpg

Backstage the World Champion Diesel is standing by with Dok Hendrix. Diesel says he intervened last week because he couldn’t stand to hear Sid whining about losing a title shot. Diesel says if Sid wants a title shot he can have one at In Your House and it’ll be his pleasure to Jackknife Sid right through the damn ring!

Grade: 87

Non-Title Match

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Shawn%20Michaels%207_zpsvkisomgv.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/VS-logo_zpsyxkzg251.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Mabel_zpsxw5mnuaf.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Mo_zps0ggtqeoo.jpg

As the match is set to get underway we’re treated to a guest at ringside.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Triple%20H%203_zpsbwatspb2.jpg

Hunter Hearst Helmsley comes down to sit next to McMahon and joins in the announcing. Michaels uses his speed and quickness to avoid the super heavyweight Mabel which serves to only anger and frustrate the big man. When Mo gets on the apron to distract Michaels, Mabel strikes and begins pummeling the champion. Everything is going in Mabel’s favor until he sets up Michaels for a charging splash in the corner and when Michaels moves, Mabel his chest first. He turns, slightly bent over and staggers towards the middle of the ring and walks right into some Sweet Chin Music. Cradling a massive leg, Michaels gets the three count.

Winner by Pinfall: Shawn Michaels

Grade: 67

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Shawn%20Michaels%207_zpsvkisomgv.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Consrvtve/1995/People/Triple%20H%203_zpsbwatspb2.jpg

Michaels slips out of the ring, retrieving his Intercontinental championship when Helmsley stands and the two begin jawing. Michaels wears a constant smirk as Hemlsey berates him until the champion grabs a bottled water sitting on the table and throws it in Helmsley’s face dousing him. Helmsley loses his mind and security quickly separates them.

In the chaos McMahon and Piper say they’ll see us again next week on another edition of Monday Night RAW!

Grade: 61

Overall: 73

http://i.imgur.com/CVJ3u99.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/psychoandy/images/e/ea/Lrg_WCW75.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120109044905

WCW Cuts

Here is who World Championship Wrestling has fired recently:

- Glenn Gilbertti (who had just debuted as the Disco Inferno)

- Dave Sullivan

- James Earl Wright

- Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker

- Joey Maggs

- Bill DeMott (Hugh Morrus)

The Rumor Mill

*Like the WWF, WCW has been on a spending spree locking in new talent's left and right. An expansion on WCW's tag team scene is in the works and one legendary tag team is on its way back to television.

*Expect WCW's on air attacks directed at the WWF to continue as the company is trying to position itself as the renegade company that wants to overtake the behemoth.

*WCW has booked a pay per view for November entitled World War 3. We are hearing that it will take the Royal Rumble concept and "blow it out of the water".

*One former WCW talent who left last year is on his way back to the company and vignettes will begin this coming week on Nitro.

Monday Night Ratings

WCW Monday Nitro----5.11

WWF Monday Night RAW----6.21

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZnLSKAdcFHs/T-FK-kFNAPI/AAAAAAAAFCM/J6MIzfyNpxI/s1600/vlcsnap-2012-06-19-23h00m27s129.png

WCW Saturday Night

Saturday Week 2, September 1995 – Center Stage – Atlanta, Georgia

• Vader def Zodiac in a squash match, the night before War Games

• Tony Schiavone & Dusty Rhodes talk remind us that this Monday on Nitro, WCW will decide if Lex Luger will earn a contract to face Hulk Hogan

• New Tag Team, Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon def Ricky Santana & Dennis Knight

• Mean Gene interviews The Renegade & Jimmy Hart who will meet the winner of tonight’s main event, tomorrow night defending the WCW Television Title

• Promotional video for Flair vs Anderson for the first time tomorrow night at Fall Brawl airs

• Dean Malenko defeats Eddie Guerrero and Diamond Dallas Page in a back and forth encounter. DDP nearly gets the win after a Diamond Cutter but, Malenko drop kicks him out of the ring and drops a brain buster on Eddie Guerrero for the 3 count. Tomorrow night at Fall Brawl he will challenge The Renegade for the WCW Television Championship

Show Grade: 60

13745-logo-superstars-wwf.jpg

September----Sunday---Week 2

*The New Blackjacks def the Hardy Boyz with a big lariat clothesline from Blackjack Bradshaw (Grade: 51)

*Dean Douglas def Barry Horowitz with a belly to belly suplex. (Grade: 53)

*The British Bulldog w/Jim Cornette def Bob Holly via running powerslam (Grade: 72)

Overall Grade: 65

Archived