Evaluating recruits using your coaches

Every coach your team has has scouting ability, be it good or bad. That is for a reason.

You also have a scouting company. But, let us say you are a low prestige school so you have a low prestige scouting company. You'd figure that you cannot really trust what they see in a recruit because their scouting ability is poor. But let us also say, for example, your coaches are above average in scouting. You can still use that to determine who to recruit.

You have two sets of information for every time you scout a recruit. One of them are the words: example- this recruit will become a good run blocker. His pass blocking may be average, but if its more than that I will be surprised. That is your scouting company telling you what they see in a player.

But you also have the numbers. If you look at the side of every recruit's card, you will see some numbers after you've scouted him. For example-

CB Jim Bob Jackson

Coverage-59

Tackling-64

Catching-30

these numbers are your coaches putting a value to how well the recruit does something. So, if your coaches are above average in scouting, you could be able to trust these numbers and determine who to recruit. That way you can find players who don't cost as much but have just as much upside- for example, today, in recruiting, I found a 2 star lineman that my coaches said had 80 blocking, and he ended up being a 1/4.5, at just a 2 star.

So, there you go. Make sure your coaches can scout well, because it's important

Archived