NYCW: A New York State of Mind

Card for NYCW Big Apple Breakdown:

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE

Marv Statler vs. Honest Frank ©

Steve Flash, Jimmy Cox & Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. The Sensational Singh & Old School Principals

FOR THE NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE

Crockett Tubbs vs. Conner Threepwood

Tennessee William vs. Geoff Borne

Animal Harker vs. Remmy Honeyman vs. The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze

Dermot O’Logical vs. Andrew Harper

The Boys from the Yukon vs. Brooklyn’s Finest

Dean Waldorf vs. Seth Whitehead

Card for NYCW Big Apple Breakdown:

A major tag player getting a singles title? Not a chance.

Steve Flash, Jimmy Cox & Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. The Sensational Singh & Old School Principals

The Immortal Driver will triumph, and the midcard tag team drags Singh down a bit.

Crockett Tubbs © vs. Conner Threepwood

Draw? Hmm. Not sure. This is definitely a feud in the making.

Setting up a tag title challenge.

Yeah, you have to keep your tag champ over.

Because Dermot kind of sucks.

Card position is a thing.

JOBBER!

Crockett Tubbs © vs. Conner Threepwood

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say that the next show will go up either early on Friday or Sunday evening- I'm in the middle of a crazy busy month right now and have maybe one evening a week at home, so work's been a little slow. In the meantime, here's Tiberious4's question:

For Animal Harker: "Mr. Harker, you were a virtual unknown when you joined New York City Wrestling, but over the course of the last six years you have become one of the cornerstones of the company and have begun to make a name in Japan in recent months as well. What do you credit for such rapid improvement?"

Animal Harker: I'd say it was a combination of superior training, exponentially increasing the amount of effort I exert in my in-ring performance, and the fact that I stopped eating turnbuckles quite so often. Seriously, that last part really helped.

NYCW Big Apple Breakdown

Live from The Ministry

Sunday, Week 2, February

Audience: 1,000 (SOLD OUT!)

The Show

This one was an immediate improvement from last month’s midcard efforts, largely thanks to lifting the ban on spinal-impact and high risk moves. Don’t get me wrong, I get the thinking behind it and I’m not lifting the ban wholesale, but for most of our undercard I figure we can lift the ban a little. That certainly worked out here- not that Seth or Dean really incorporate anything high-risk into their movesets but this way they can just concentrate on working the best match they can without having to limit themselves. Admittedly Dean’s best match is clearly a lot better than Seth’s, but hey, that’s why Dean is one of our top guys and Seth’s a jobber. You can guess who took this one, but if you can’t I’ll make it clear; Waldorf, in 6:04 with a Waldorf Salad Toss.

Winner: Dean Waldorf Match Rating: D

It’s promo time as hear from Honest Frank ahead of the main event.

"Tonight I’m up against Marv Statler, one half of the Confederation Tag Team Champions, which apparently makes you a big shot in New York these days. Honestly? I can sorta see that. I mean, you’ll never be a true star, a great like Steve Flash or Whistler or Lee Wright, men I’ve faced for this title in the past and been lucky to beat, but you’re good, you might one day get there. You can wrestle a bit, that’s for sure, and okay this sure as hell ain’t the tag team division but surely you’ve got some skills you can transfer, right? I’m almost certain you must have. So yeah, you get lucky tonight- really, really lucky- you might even have a chance of winning this title.

"After all…Would I Lie to You?"

This worked out pretty well, which really isn’t a surprise. Frank may not be the best wrestler but you’d be hard pressed to fault his promo work.

Rating: D+

Andrew Harper vs. Dermot O’Logical

This one wasn’t as good as the opener but that’s no great surprise. Andy’s a solid worker but he’s still all p*ssy about losing last month, and Dermot’s never going to be one of our top guys. Still, this wasn’t bad, as lifting the ban once again came good and allowed our guys to go at it without having to hold back. Victory here went to Andy- not that I have any great plans for him but there’s potential for him to be a solid Tri-State champion down the line and hopefully a win here will turn around his morale- who put Dermot away with the Spike Slam at 10:24.

Winner: Andrew Harper Match Rating: D-

It’s time we hear from me, ahead of the Boys’ tag match.

“Okay, this is kind of ridiculous. I mean, Brooklyn’s Finest? Really? I mean come on, even leaving aside the fact that Brooklyn sucks and always will, even thinking for a second that Freedom Eagle and Hawkeye Calhoun can match my boys, well…it’d be cruel if it wasn’t so funny. Boys, I’m not saying you can’t win- miracles have been known to happen- I’m just saying you’ll be lucky to walk away with all your pieces intact. Mort and Whittaker, they break people for fun and last time I looked, you boys weren’t exactly Animal Harker or Brandon Smith. Y’know, it’s time like this you gotta be glad for Obamacare, I’d hate to see your hospital bills once we’re through with you.”

Short shouty man + big scary dudes=quality promo work.

Rating: D+

Brooklyn’s Finest vs. The Boys from The Yukon

This was another decent midcard bout, nothing special but a decent match from two of our weaker teams. The Boys aren’t a bad unit, to be fair, but individually they’ve got plenty of weaknesses, and Mort in particular could do with plenty of improvement (unfortunately he didn’t show any tonight, but hey, small steps). As for Brooklyn’s Finest, Eagle’s as good as any of our midcard guys but Calhoun still needs a lot of improvement (he didn’t show any tonight either, but there’s only so much you can improve against Mort and Whittaker anyways). Given that the Boys are a) feuding with the champs, and b) managed by the booker…well, you can guess which way this one went.

Winners: The Boys from The Yukon Match Rating: D-

Another good match here- I’d ask if I was a genius but let’s face it, we all know I am. Doll was maybe a step down from the others quality-wise, but name value probably played a part in that and in any case it’s not like he sucked or anything. As for the others, Remmy and Brad aren’t exactly top guys but they’re talented midcarders, and Remmy in particular has the potential to be a big star for us if I can find someone to handle his promos. Animal, though, Animal’s the real top guy here; if I can keep him from going to Japan full-time he could potentially become a big main-event star for us down the line. With that in mind, and given that he’s one half of the tag team champions, I have him the win here.

Winner: Animal Harker Match Rating: D

Geoff Borne vs. Tennessee William

I’d expected this one to be really good- with no ban on high-risk moves Geoff in particular should have shone- but it turned out no better than any of our other midcard matches. Not that I’m complaining about that, but when you give a guy a chance to impress you and he doesn’t I figure that gives me a right to feel disappointed, eh? Especially since I was thinking of trying to move Geoff up towards the main event; we lack top heels at the moment, and Geoff had the fundamentals and workrate to maybe fit in near the top of the card. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like that will work out, but fortunately there are other options, and if all else fails I’ll turn the Ring Generals or the Southern Stars to fill that gap. Speaking of the Stars, Tennessee continues to look like a great guy for us going forward, and if he can improve his fundamentals he could well wind up with a main event run of his own. Still, this match had plot implications, so Geoff Borne took the win after Whitehorse Whittaker interfered, laying Tennessee out with a vicious chair shot whilst Geoff distracted Michael Bull with a chair of his own.

Winner: Geoff Borne Match Rating: D

Crockett Tubbs vs. Conner Threepwood

We kept up the run of good form here, though Crockett and Conner probably would’ve done better if I hadn’t built the match around story-telling rather than action. Still, given the problems that always come with prioritising the story I anticipate these two having to deal with it a lot going forward; they’ve got the fundamentals and workrate to handle it and aren’t high enough on the card to be put in a really crucial position. Okay, so Conner will probably wind up heading towards the main event sooner or later, but Crockett’s likely to anchor the midcard for many years to come (or until Remmy’s ready for a run at the belt, whichever is sooner). That being said, Crockett’s only just won the belt and needs more defences before we move him on, so he took the win her via a flash pinfall.

Winner: Crockett Tubbs Match Rating: D

This one was pretty good- not our best but it held the run of form up pretty well. I’d reinstated the bans for this match- with Steve, Jimmy, Singh and the Principals all aging it seemed wise- and that clearly impacted on the match quality. We were also aiming for story-telling over action here, setting up a narrative of everyone trying to avoid the Immortal Driver, and whilst that certainly worked in context it didn’t do the match any favours quality-wise. Jimmy was also way off his game tonight- I’m hoping it was first-night nerves because otherwise he kinda sucks and that would just be a waste. Top star tonight was actually ‘Dozer by a country mile, so it looks like he’s going to go into the feud with Frank next month. Jimmy still got the win here, though, putting Rick away with the Immortal Driver to secure the pin.

Winners: Steve Flash, Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Jimmy Cox Match Rating: D

Honest Frank vs. Marv Statler

For a main event this was kinda weak- not a bad match in general but not the lift I’d expect from our top guys. Frank’s clearly not got another long reign left in him- we had to drop this match down to only 10 minutes (our main events usually run closer to 20) so his stamina wouldn’t give out and even then he was staggering about like an old man by the end. To be fair Marv wasn’t any better performance-wise, but he doesn’t have Frank’s charisma or name value (which is why he’s largely a tag guy) so I don’t expect as much from him. Still, whilst I’m disappointed by the relative quality of the match it wasn’t that bad overall- I kept the bans on and you have to accept that they won’t help everyone, so the average match quality was bearable. Frank took the win here (he might not be a great champ but he’s still better than Marv), dropping Statler with the Best Policy.

Winner: Honest Frank Match Rating: D

Overall Rating: D-, which is about what I’d expected given the main event issues. Production issues remain the big problem, but in terms of match quality we’re definitely getting there.

<p>Sorry for the delay guys- this month is super crazy and I have basically no evenings at all to post in. That being said, let's take a look at how the predictions for the last show went:</p><p> </p><p>

Tiberious4: 8/8</p><p>

March: 7/8</p><p>

packerman120: 6/8</p><p>

jesseewiak: 7/8</p><p>

Regis: 7/8</p><p>

Jaded: 7/8</p><p> </p><p>

So, Tiberious4 is the winner, and has the option of asking a question of any NYCW wrestler he likes, as does March as a carry-over from last month. </p><p> </p><p>

No idea when the next show will go up- probably Sunday afternoon.</p>

<p><em>From the Diary of Hugh Dansigny:</em></p><p> </p><p>

- Re-signed the Doll with a 60 dollar increase. I’m really not sure we can afford that, or if he’s actually worth it, but this early on I’m not letting someone that nice go without a dang good reason. </p><p> </p><p>

- MAW upped their production values to Professional, leaving us with only FCW looking worse than us. How can all these companies afford it? Okay, probably by not having as @sshole like Larry as a boss but still, give me a break.</p><p> </p><p>

- Regional Battles went against us again this time- last in Mid-Atlantic, last in New England. On top of that, our losses went up again, to nearly 9000 dollars. I’m going to have to do something about that at some point other than just avoiding Larry but d@mned if I know what. One thing’s for sure, if it stays this way a lot of contracts will not be renewed come negotiating day. </p><p> </p><p>

- Went ahead and lifted the ban on high-risk moves- hardly anybody really uses them for us anyway so I don’t figure that it matters. Spinal-impact ban remains, but I’ll probably lift it on a match-by-match basis.</p><p> </p><p>

- Downgraded our music back to using local bands rather than an in-house composer- the costs weren’t in our favour, and we’re basically using the same guy we did before for less money. </p><p> </p><p>

- Tammy decided to retire, which is kind of odd because she’s still out of action looking after the kids. Still, at least this way I’m not obliged to try and talk Larry into a women’s division (I still might anyway, but there’s less pressure now). </p><p> </p><p>

- Looking at costs, I realised our wage budget could really easily be bought down by letting a few guys go. For a start off, in what weird universe is Geoff Borne worth 1200 dollars? Or Dermot O’Logical worth paying more than Tennessee or Remmy? I’ll have a look at that after this next show. </p><p> </p><p>

- Going forward I’m going to pull a few turns near the top of the card to rebalance things- we’re lacking top heel challengers, and with Frank unlikely to hold the belt much longer that definitely needs to be looked at. </p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

Card for NYCW March Madness</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

Jimmy Cox vs. Honest Frank ©</p><p> </p><p>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Dean Waldorf</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

The Southern Stars © vs. The Boys from the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

Steve Flash vs. Conner Threepwood</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE</p><p>

Crockett Tubbs © vs. Geoff Borne</p><p> </p><p>

Marv Statler & Brooklyn’s Finest vs. Old School Principals & Seth Whitehead</p><p> </p><p>

Remmy Honeyman vs. The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze vs. Andrew Harper</p><p> </p><p>

Dermot O’Logical vs. The Sensational Singh</p>

<p>FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

<strong>Jimmy Cox</strong> vs. Honest Frank ©</p><p>

<em>Frank's always been a transitional champion. Jimmy Cox is a good guy with a nice simple gimmick - The Immortal Driver, can he hit it or not? He'd be a good top guy.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith</strong> vs. Dean Waldorf</p><p>

<em>Put over the singles guy in singles competition.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars ©</strong> vs. The Boys from the Yukon</p><p>

<em>The Boys are a bit rough around the edges yet. Let them fall here.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash</strong> vs. Conner Threepwood</p><p>

<em>The dude is a living legend. Go for it.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Crockett Tubbs ©</strong> vs. Geoff Borne</p><p>

<em>No way. Having just said he's too expensive, a belt is not going around his waist.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Marv Statler & Brooklyn’s Finest</strong> vs. Old School Principals & Seth Whitehead</p><p>

<em>Interesting having Marv working with another team. He's the big difference-maker here.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Remmy Honeyman vs. The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze vs. <strong>Andrew Harper</strong></p><p>

<em>Harper's a solid midcarder, he can do good business for you with the right push.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Dermot O’Logical vs. <strong>The Sensational Singh</strong></p><p>

<em>JOBBER!</em></p>

Jimmy Cox vs. Honest Frank ©

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Dean Waldorf

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES

The Southern Stars © vs. The Boys from the Yukon

Steve Flash vs. Conner Threepwood

Crockett Tubbs © vs. Geoff Borne

Marv Statler & Brooklyn’s Finest vs. Old School Principals & Seth Whitehead

Remmy Honeyman vs. The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze vs. Andrew Harper

Dermot O’Logical vs. The Sensational Singh

<p>Card for NYCW March Madness</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jimmy Cox</strong> vs. Honest Frank ©</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith</strong> vs. Dean Waldorf</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars ©</strong> vs. The Boys from the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash</strong> vs. Conner Threepwood</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Crockett Tubbs ©</strong> vs. Geoff Borne</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Marv Statler & Brooklyn’s Finest</strong> vs. Old School Principals & Seth Whitehead</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Remmy Honeyman</strong> vs. The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze vs. Andrew Harper</p><p> </p><p>

Dermot O’Logical vs. <strong>The Sensational Singh</strong></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:36px;">NYCW March Madness</span></strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">Live from The Ministry</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Sunday, Week 2, March</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Audience: 1,000 (SOLD OUT!)</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">The Show</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Sensational Singh vs. Dermot O’Logical</strong></p><p>

We lead off with a quick squash match to give Singh some momentum, and it turned out pretty solid. Dermot’s performance was once again a little weak, so it’s fair to say he’ll probably be gone after this show, though I do like his gimmick so there’s always a chance he’ll stick around for a while if I can get our costs down some other way. As for Singh, he’s undoubtedly aging pretty rapidly but I’d still rank him as one of our best and his performance tonight certainly backed that up- only ‘Dozer and the Ring Generals regularly surpass what he was managing tonight, which is definitely a plus point given how much we’re paying him. As the (much, much) higher ranked star in this match, Singh took the win, putting Dermot away via pinfall with a Cal-Cutter.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> The Sensational Singh <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-family:Verdana;"><span style="font-size:14px;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s time to hear from Honest Frank ahead of the main event.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">“Jimmy Cox…man, I can remember when you were just a rookie back in XFW, back when I was the biggest dog in the yard. Man, how things change, huh? You’re a big star now, The Master of the Immortal Driver, one of the biggest stars GCG’s ever seen. Me? Well, different yard, same dog. So, tonight, Jimmy, I’m almost proud of you. I mean, sure, you’re not me, you’ve never held the only belt that matters in this company, and let’s face it you probably never will, but, y’know, I’m sure you’ll be a great challenger.</span></p><p><span style="color:#FF0000;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#FF0000;">

“After all…Would I Lie to You?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

This was another good promo from Frank- whatever you can say of his ringwork his mic skills remain top-notch.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Remmy Honeyman vs. The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze vs. Andrew Harper</strong></p><p>

This was another strong match, as we showcased four of our best midcard prospects- well, three of them and Andy Harper, who I’m increasingly convinced is not worth the money we’re paying him. Okay, so he’s a solid enough prospect and I’d be willing to keep him usually but he’s still p*ssy over losing to Crockett back in January and I can’t be dealing with that kind of cr@p from someone in his position- if he doesn’t improve his attitude soon he’s out. As for the others, Remmy and Brad are newer signings and safe (though it’s also worth pointing out that they were the high performers of this match) and the Doll’s literally only just signed back on, and in any case his influence and positivity make him a very useful part of the roster even if he isn’t one of the best. Remmy took this one- I’m starting to really fall behind the idea of giving him a major push- at 10:29, putting Brad away with a Honeyman Special.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Remmy Honeyman <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Marv Statler & Brooklyn’s Finest vs. Old School Principals & Seth Whitehead</strong></p><p>

The big story here was Marv’s heel turn; the Generals have climbed up into the main event and I figured turning them opened some options up and helped resolve the imbalance we’ve had up there since I took over. As you might expect Marv was the best thing here tonight, but Rick Sanders also held his end up well and was pretty much up there the whole time too. As for the others, Mauler showed some improvement (which damn near killed me it was that much of a surprise), and Eagle and Seth both looked pretty solid as well, which is always promising. As for Hawkeye…well, he was definitely there. Victory here went to the Principals and Seth Whitehead, as you might expect- Mauler took the win with an Iron Claw on Calhoun after Marv blasted Eagle with the Backdrop Backbreaker.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> Old School Principals & Seth Whitehead <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Crockett Tubbs vs Geoff Borne</strong></p><p>

This marks Geoff’s last match with the company- whilst I’m not 100% enthused on letting him go he costs too much for us to afford keeping him on, and I can probably get somebody better for us at half the price. To be fair he was pretty good here, and he’s never really underperformed for us per se, but with our losses increasing we need to cut costs somewhere and Geoff’s very expensive for what he contributes. Admittedly Crockett’s also up there in terms of wage bills, but at least he’s performing up to standard and in any case we’re paying as much for his North of the Border pedigree as for what he does in the ring. As for this match, we threw in interference from Conner to keep his issue with Crockett going; when the action spilled to ringside Conner came through the crowd to go after Crockett with a baseball bat, but Tubbs threw Geoff in his way to take the blow before nailing Threepwood with a big lariat to take him out. With Geoff laid out it was a piece of cake for Crockett to get him back in the ring and pin him for the win.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Crockett Tubbs <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s time for the Tag title match, but before the music starts playing we cut backstage, to where a furious brawl has broken out between The Southern Stars and The Boys from the Yukon. It spills all over the backstage area before finally making its way to the ring, where Michael Bull eventually rings the bell when it becomes clear they won’t be stopping.</p><p> </p><p>

This was mostly set-up to lead into the story for the title match. It was okay, but I don’t think it did the feud any real favours.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars vs. The Boys from the Yukon</strong></p><p>

This was a pretty good match, and could’ve been even better if we could get the feud to spark back to life a little bit- it’s not really running hot enough to sustain people’s interest and that hit the match a little. Mort and Whittaker continue to struggle, but at least Mort showed some improvement here, and what they lack in individual quality they make up for in experience as a team. I’ll also admit that we built this one around story-telling, with all the problems that brings; the story here was all about maintaining the brawl, with neither team paying Bull much heed and flouting the rules at will. Not a bad idea for a narrative but it left the match feeling a little formless and baggy, we need that structure to really play to everyone’s strengths. Still, this wasn’t at all bad, and provided I can get the heat back there’s legs in this feud yet. We ended this one on a Double DQ, as Bull finally got tired of all four men brawling in the ring and threw the whole match out.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> none <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash vs. Conner Threepwood</strong></p><p>

Well, that definitely worked. Turns out aiming for a technical showcase featuring two of the best technical wrestlers on the roster is a good idea, which I’ll have to remember for future reference. Okay, so Steve’s stamina can’t handle the 15-minute running time, and his decline is definitely starting to pick up steam, but he’s still got the tools to go against the right opponent, which Conner definitely is. Admittedly his selling kinda sucks, but what matters is his performance on the night and Conner’s holding up as well as anyone. He also improved his technique tonight, which isn’t really surprising considering who he was facing (fact: Steve Flash is just awesome). In the end, I had to give this one to the veteran; even if Steve’s not even close to the force he was in his prime he still has more to offer than Conner does at the moment, so he took the win via Flash Bang at 14:41.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Steve Flash <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith makes his way to the ring for his match, but when Dean comes out he’s accompanied by Marv Statler, and with a cry of ‘Whyo!’ they launch an attack on ‘Dozer. He’s able to just about hold the pair back, but when Honest Frank comes through the crowd and blindsides him with a brass knuckle shot to the jaw ‘Dozer hits the deck and all three men lay into him with a will before Michael Bull finally drives Frank and Marv out of the ring.</p><p> </p><p>

This was all set-up; we had to establish Frank and ‘Dozer’s feud, the Ring Generals new alliance with Honest Frank and Dean’s turn and new gimmick change to Frank’s enforcer. All that stuff worked pretty well, and whilst the angle wasn’t astounding it was still the best we’ve ever managed.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Dean Waldorf</strong></p><p>

Strap a rocket to this guy and call him Roger; we’ve found our new top babyface. ‘Dozer hit this one straight outta the park, into the next park over and then out of that one on the bounce. What’s more, Dean also stepped up to deliver a great performance, to the point where I’m kind of disappointed I threw this match out now rather than giving it some build for Gang War or The Battle of the Bronx (our two big marquee shows; Bronx is in the summer, Gang War closes the year out). Still, when you get a gift horse this flashy you don’t look it in the mouth, so I’ll just be pleased we’ve got the potential for this kind of match on our shows. Brandon took the win here, reversing Dean’s attempt at a Waldorf Salad Toss into the Tombstone Piledriver to secure the pin.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Bulldozer Brandon Smith <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jimmy Cox vs. Honest Frank</strong></p><p>

I’d resigned myself to the fact that this wouldn’t be a great match, so its general mediocrity was okay. Both Frank and Jimmy are way past their best (to the point where I’m not really convinced that Jimmy was necessarily worth his price tag) and whilst they’re both still pretty solid competitors their limitations are simply too high to be easily overcome. For example, Frank can’t really go for longer than 10 minutes, and whilst Jimmy’s got a very solid workrate he doesn’t have the charisma or star quality to really connect with the fans in that short of a match. In other words, this was a classic mismatch in terms of optimising match quality- Jimmy’s at his best in a slightly longer match where he can show off his technical abilities, Frank’s best for short sharp doses of charismatic brawling. Given that only one of these guys is headed into a major programme it should be obvious who took the win; Frank nailed Jimmy with the Best Policy then grabbed a handful of tights to secure the victory at 9:55.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Honest Frank <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Overall Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em>, which is grotesquely unfair given the quality of our undercard. Still, the only way is up.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p><em>From the diary of Hugh Dansigny:</em></p><p> </p><p>

- We lost 13 thousand dollars in March so April was a break month to help regenerate some financial muscle. Okay, so we only made 1,856 dollars back but we also used our off-month to upgrade our production values and live event experience. Current plans are to put another off-month in around August to help out again. </p><p> </p><p>

- I let Andy Harper, Geoff Borne and Dermot O’Logical go- if we’re going to cut costs then Geoff and Dermot cost too much for what they contribute. As for Andy, his refusal to get over losing back in January was boring and I needed to free up some space on the heel side of the roster. </p><p> </p><p>

- To replace them I’ve brought in The Good Ol’ Boys and Gidayu Katou. Okay, so maybe there’s a slight reduction in quality but there’s few teams out there more experienced than Wooton and Thimbleby, and Katou’s main advantage is that he works for very, very cheap. He’s also a pretty solid wrestler, but it’s the cheap thing that appealed to me.</p><p> </p><p>

- Sam Strong just died, which is…kinda weird. I mean, I never really liked the guy or his work, but he was always one of the big constants in wrestling, that one guy who you knew exactly what to expect from. Besides, he screwed Herr Eisen over and for that he’ll always have a friend in me. </p><p> </p><p>

- Tammy’s finally back from maternity leave, for all of about a month before she retires. I’ll probably bring her in as a road agent once I can afford it, she’ll do a good job and hopefully counteract some of me and Larry’s general @ssholery.</p><p> </p><p>

- Apparently Tennessee William is going to be a huge future star, according to some industry veterans. Exactly which ones I don’t know, but I’m guessing Ernie Turner’s one of them.</p><p> </p><p>

- Conner’s decided to change his in-ring style, moving towards a Japanese Junior approach. I think that makes him the first ever Japanes Junior-style wrestler to work here. He’ll probably also be the last as well.</p><p> </p><p>

- In news from the wrestling world, everybody’s getting fat. Johnny Bloodstone, Insane Machine, El Bandido, Bull Wrecker….seems like every time I look at the news some other guy’s gone flabby.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">New Wrestler Profiles</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i.imgur.com/aKdd5eg.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Gidayu Katou</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 20 <strong>Billed From:</strong> Kyoto, Japan</p><p>

<strong>Entrance Music:</strong> Riding on the Rocket- Shonen Knife</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Lariat</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i.imgur.com/YlW5k8u.jpg</span><span>http://i.imgur.com/IWdtro7.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Thimbleby Langton & Wooton Fitzpaine- The Good Ol’ Boys</strong></p><p>

<strong>Ages:</strong> Both 31 <strong>Billed From:</strong> Polk County, Iowa</p><p>

<strong>Entrance Music:</strong> Foggy Mountain Breakdown- Flatt & Scruggs</p><p>

<strong>Finishers:</strong> Gutwrench Flapjack (Gutwrench Alley Oop, Langton), Running Big Foot (Running Big Boot, Fitzpaine), Iowa Harvest (Samoan Drop/Big Boot Combo, Double Team)</p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

Card for NYCW Broadway Boogie:</p><p> </p><p>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Honest Frank ©</p><p> </p><p>

Steve Flash & Jimmy Cox vs. The Ring Generals</p><p> </p><p>

Animal Harker vs. The Sensational Singh</p><p> </p><p>

Crockett Tubbs © vs. The New York Doll vs. Tennessee William vs. Howlin’ Mad Mort</p><p> </p><p>

Remmy Honeyman vs. Conner Threepwood</p><p> </p><p>

Brooklyn’s Finest vs. Old School Principals</p><p> </p><p>

Gidayu Katou vs. Whitehorse Whittaker</p><p> </p><p>

The Good Ol’ Boys vs. Seth Whitehead & Bradley Blaze</p>

<p>Card for NYCW Broadway Boogie:</p><p> </p><p>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. <strong>Honest Frank ©</strong></p><p>

<em>Is it time for BBS to go over? Hmm. Not sure.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Steve Flash & Jimmy Cox vs. <strong>The Ring Generals</strong></p><p>

<em>You don't just job out the COTT Tag Team Champions.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Animal Harker vs. <strong>The Sensational Singh</strong></p><p>

<em>Tag Team guy goes down in singles competition.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Crockett Tubbs ©</strong> vs. The New York Doll vs. Tennessee William vs. Howlin’ Mad Mort</p><p>

<em>Just a bet on the champ.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Remmy Honeyman vs. <strong>Conner Threepwood</strong></p><p>

<em>Card position is somewhat tyrannical.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Brooklyn’s Finest vs. <strong>Old School Principals</strong></p><p>

<em>OSP have lots to give.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Gidayu Katou vs. <strong>Whitehorse Whittaker</strong></p><p>

<em>I'll assume the new Japanese guy is a jobber until I see otherwise.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Good Ol’ Boys</strong> vs. Seth Whitehead & Bradley Blaze</p><p>

<em>JOBBERS!</em></p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:36px;">NYCW Broadway Boogie</span></strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">Live from The Ministry</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Sunday, Week 2, May</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Audience: 1,000 (SOLD OUT!)</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">The Show</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bradley Blaze & Seth Whitehead vs. The Good Ol’ Boys</strong></p><p>

We kicked things off with a quick tag match to introduce our newest tag team to the fans. It worked out surprisingly well- Brad and Seth will never team together ever again, their chemistry was just plain awful, but Langton and Fitzpaine more than made up for that. Okay, they’re one-dimensional brawlers but at least they’re good one-dimensional brawlers, and their vast experience as a team really helped cover for Brad and Seth’s awful chemistry. It’s also worth acknowledging at this stage how good most of the new guys’ gimmicks have gone over; Thimbleby’s Redneck gimmick turned out Very Good and that wasn’t even one of our best. The Good Ol’ Boys took the win here, as you could’ve guessed; Thimbleby got the pin, putting Brad away with the Iowa Harvest.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Good Ol’ Boys <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It's time to hear from 'Dozer ahead of tonight's main event</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#800080;">Y'know Frank, when you and The Ring Generals laid me out last month, you really didn't do yourselves any favors. Y'see, you guys, The Whyos or whatever you wanna call yourselves, you're tough, real tough, and I figure between the three of you, well, there ain't a big bunch of guys could take you on. Except when you jumped me at March Madness, you got me real mad, all wired up and crazy, so now, now I figure I got no way of calming down except to get in that ring and beat the ever-loving cr@p out of all three of you boys, maybe even take that Empire Title belt off'a you Frankie. Congratulations, Whyos- you got yourselves an enemy.</span></p><p> </p><p>

‘Dozer continues in his campaign to make everyone forget who Roger Cage was by nailing this one.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Gidayu Katou vs. Whitehorse Whittaker</strong></p><p>

This one wasn’t a great match but then I’d never expected it to be- Gid’s got very little name value to supplement his skills, and whilst Whittaker’s got the name value he’s nothing like as strong a worker. To be fair this wasn’t exactly awful- back before I lifted the high-risk ban this was about the best most of our midcard could manage- and with this match standing so low down the card it’s not like we’ll suffer for the poor quality. Whitehorse took the win here, putting Gid away at 7:44 with a Canadian Stun Gun.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Whitehorse Whittaker <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Brooklyn’s Finest vs. Old School Principals</strong></p><p>

I’m starting to think Rick deserves a strong main-event run; he was head-and-shoulders ahead of the pack here. Admittedly that’s pretty easy when the pack includes Hawkeye ‘none more green’ Calhoun and Freedom Eagle, but even so it’s worth remarking upon. Mauler, meanwhile, isn’t anything like as strong as his partner but continues to improve despite his advanced age so he’s got a spot here for the foreseeable future, especially when you consider his backstage influence. Brooklyn’s Finest, meanwhile, continue to work better as a team than individuals; Eagle could probably make a go of the singles ranks in a couple of years but Hawkeye just doesn’t have the fundamentals to progress beyond persistent and regular jobbing. That’s what he wound up doing tonight again, tapping out to Rick’s Figure Four Leglock.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Brooklyn’s Finest <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Crockett Tubbs vs. The New York Doll vs. Tennessee William vs. Howlin’ Mad Mort</strong></p><p>

This was another solid match, albeit one based more on story-telling than action. We used this match to foreground the feuds; Tennessee and Mort basically ignored the other two competitors and brawled with each other, whilst Conner was on guest commentary and served as something of a distraction to Crockett. That didn’t altogether work in the match’s favour- with what was effectively two singles matches going on the action didn’t flow particularly well, and Tennessee was way off form so his brawl with Mort was very disjointed and messy. Still, Crockett delivered a solid enough performance, and Doll was pretty good even if he’s never been a stand-out performer for us. Crockett retained his belt tonight- I’m not sure who he’ll drop it to yet but these guys aren’t my main choices- by forcing the New York Doll to submit to the Subway Stretch.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Crockett Tubbs <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Conner Threepwood vs. Remmy Honeyman</strong></p><p>

I’ve been lucky thus far with chemistry notes, so it figured that a match like this one, with two promising young talents that I’d like to see move up the card, was the one that saw the bad chemistry come back to bite us right in the @ss. Okay, so this wasn’t an absolute disaster the way it could have been with two weaker workers, but when you book two of your strongest technical workers to put on a technical masterclass you hope for something better than simply mediocre. Really the only problem was the chemistry- Remmy and Conner just don’t click at all and it made the whole match look disjointed and awkward. Rather than smoothly transitioning from hold to counter-hold the pair had to keep breaking apart and locking up again and that doesn’t work for a match like this. Conner won out here- he has a feud, Remmy doesn’t (yet) - by forcing Honeyman to submit to the Stretch Plum.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Conner Threepwood <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Animal Harker vs. The Sensational Singh</strong></p><p>

This was kind of a filler match to give two of my top guys something to do, but the fact that they have awful chemistry still bites. Okay, so Singh is another one like Jimmy that’s increasingly working to convince me not to re-sign him when his contract comes up thanks to his age (seriously, where are the veterans who aren’t falling apart at the seams?), but up to now he’s delivered decent matches and given us options at the top of the card, though I will concede that we could probably do more with him. As for Harker, his future lies with the tag division but the hope is to put him as close to the main event as possible, and this match did nothing to help that cause. Okay, so the chemistry dynamited the match, and Singh was off form which really didn’t help, but even so this raises some very awkward questions over how much a future these two have in a main-event context for us. Singh took the win here, blindsiding Harker with the old powder-in-the-face trick and rolling him up for the pinfall.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> The Sensational Singh <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jimmy Cox & Steve Flash vs. The Ring Generals</strong></p><p>

This one worked out exactly how you’d expect from a match featuring a veteran who’s still got it, a veteran who still has it but won’t for much longer and the indy scene’s premier tag team; a really good semi-main that stepped things up a notch going into the main event. This is really why I turned The Ring Generals heel; with a tag team at the top of the card to match off against the likes of Jimmy, Steve and ‘Dozer our options go up about tenfold, and in any case Dean’s gradually becoming one of our top guys so I might as well make use of him. As for the faces, Jimmy’s already visibly weaker than he was when we brought him in, but such is life and he’s still solid enough against the right opponent; Steve, on the other hand, justifies his enormous paycheck by keeping up with guys who were still in elementary school when he debuted. Even with his freaky ability to age and still be awesome he’s got less value than the Generals, so they took the win by dropping Jimmy with the Wheelbarrow Bomb.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Ring Generals <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Honest Frank</strong></p><p>

Okay, this was a slight mistake but not exactly a bad one. Originally I’d wanted this one to go to a DQ finish to sustain the feud but somehow that never reached Larry and this one went to a clean finish. Not a complete disaster, but pulling a title change this quickly wasn’t something I had in mind even if we’re probably better off for it. ‘Dozer’s definitely our star player, no two ways about it, but I’m not convinced putting the title on him was such a good move at this point in the feud; we need to set up the Whyos as a legitimate threat and dropping the title straight away didn’t help in that one. Still, Frank’s nowhere near as good a worker as El Dozerino, and I wouldn’t be the creative genius I obviously am if I didn’t have a couple of ideas going forward. On a side-note, the Tombstone Piledriver ‘Dozer won with looked ridiculous; it’s cool that he could lift Frank into that position but I could’ve done with him making it less obvious that Frank’s head was a good six inches from the mat when he hit the move.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Bulldozer Brandon Smith <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Overall Rating:</span></strong> <em><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em>, a huge bounce back from our last two performances. Fire up the Joe Esposito, we’re back in business.</p>

<p><em>From the Diary of Hugh Dansigny:</em></p><p> </p><p>

- Renewed Hawkeye Calhoun’s contract for another year. He came on for an extra 70 bucks, but given that he went from 240 bucks to 310 that’s an increase I can live with. ‘Dozer also renewed his deal, going from 1200 to 1300 dollars per appearance, which is fair given how dang good he is.</p><p> </p><p>

- Ray Diaz is leaving PGHW. If not for the fact that he’d cost us 2300 bucks for someone with Hawkeye levels of popularity I’d bring him in like a shot. Captain Atomic- formerly known as Nevada Nuclear back in the mid-2000s with us- also left Supreme, but like American Machine he’s probably out of our price bracket. </p><p> </p><p>

- Big news in May was the Japanese Tsunami- it’s shredded the economy and the industry over there, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of companies go under. Other than Jimmy (and if GCG goes under that will be huge) none of our guys are working out there right now, but it’s still kind of a major deal.</p><p> </p><p>

- Remember how last month everyone was getting fat? This month the theme is people getting buff; Akima Brave, Rob Reynolds, Kimi Kuroki over in Japan and some Aussie named Vincent Victory all have new six-packs to show off. </p><p> </p><p>

- Whipper Spencer Marks died in May. I can remember watching the Calgary Wolverines in the CWF when I was a kid; they were the greatest tag team in wrestling, if The Ring Generals or The Southern Stars can get even half as good as George DeColt and Spencer were then we’ll be lucky to have them. As a side-note, Spencer was inducted into both the CGC and NOTBPW hall of fames this week, making him only the second person to be in both (after Ed Henson, otherwise known as ‘The God of Wrestling’)</p><p> </p><p>

- Losses in May came in at 24 thousand, so I pulled our June and August shows so we can have time off to recover some of our money. On the plus side if we can go up to Regional size that might help out with our finances, and we’re close to that.</p><p> </p><p>

- Apparently Tommy Cornell is the best all-round wrestler in the world. Yeah, no sh*t Sherlock.</p><p> </p><p>

- Profits for our month off came to 5 thousand dollars- nothing like enough to make up for our losses but there we are. </p><p> </p><p>

- 21CW, TCW and North of the Border all dropped to cult size within a week of each other. Throw in USPW dropping back in February and Burning Hammer’s fall back in April and there’s only three companies left at a National level: Supreme, PGHW and South of the Border. Somehow USPW are still considered the number one promotion in the world, though.</p><p> </p><p>

- We’re at the halfway stage of the year, and it looks like North of the Border will be topping the year-end polls in three or four categories. Duane’s favourite for wrestler of the year, Steve DeColt’s leading the veteran stakes and Brooke Tyler’s well ahead in the lady’s run. </p><p> </p><p>

- Ernie Turner’s contract came up, and unfortunately I couldn’t persuade him to take a big-enough pay cut to keep him on. He’ll be missed- not only did he have a brilliant interplay with Rock, he was a key part of our backstage team. On the plus side he’s still got regular work at Rhode Island so I don’t feel too bad about letting him go.</p><p> </p><p>

- To replace Ernie I brought in Doc Messing, the old PSW guy. He’s not a patch on Ernie (or me, if I actually wanted to do it) but he’s a great guy and more importantly costs less than half what we were paying Ernie. </p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

Card for NYCW The Battle of the Bronx</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE CHAMPIONSHIP</p><p>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith © vs. The Sensational Singh</p><p> </p><p>

Steve Flash & The Southern Stars vs. The Whyos (Honest Frank, Dean Waldorf & Marv Statler)</p><p> </p><p>

Jimmy Cox vs. Conner Threepwood</p><p> </p><p>

Crockett Tubbs vs. The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p>

The Good Ol’ Boys vs. Old School Principals</p><p> </p><p>

Brooklyn’s Finest vs. The Boys from the Yukon</p><p>

Remmy Honeyman vs. Seth Whitehead</p><p> </p><p>

Gidayu Katou vs. Bradley Blaze</p>

<p>Card for NYCW The Battle of the Bronx</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE CHAMPIONSHIP</p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith ©</strong> vs. The Sensational Singh</p><p>

<em>Not a chance.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Steve Flash & The Southern Stars vs. <strong>The Whyos (Honest Frank, Dean Waldorf & Marv Statler)</strong></p><p>

<em>The Ring Generals are the difference-makers here.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Jimmy Cox vs. <strong>Conner Threepwood</strong></p><p>

<em>Conner can continue his feud with Tubbs.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Crockett Tubbs</strong> vs. The New York Doll</p><p>

<em>Throw a belt into the mix, why not?</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Good Ol’ Boys vs. <strong>Old School Principals</strong></p><p>

<em>OSPs are wrestling up a storm.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Brooklyn’s Finest vs. <strong>The Boys from the Yukon</strong></p><p>

<em>Hugh's hand-picked projects will go over.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Remmy Honeyman </strong>vs. Seth Whitehead</p><p>

<em>JOBBER!</em></p><p> </p><p>

Gidayu Katou vs. <strong>Bradley Blaze</strong></p><p>

<em>ALSO JOBBER!</em></p>

Card for NYCW The Battle of the Bronx

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE CHAMPIONSHIP

Bulldozer Brandon Smith © vs. The Sensational Singh

Steve Flash & The Southern Stars vs. The Whyos (Honest Frank, Dean Waldorf & Marv Statler)

Jimmy Cox vs. Conner Threepwood

Crockett Tubbs vs. The New York Doll - DQ

The Good Ol’ Boys vs. Old School Principals

Brooklyn’s Finest vs. The Boys from the Yukon

Remmy Honeyman vs. Seth Whitehead

Gidayu Katou vs. Bradley Blaze

Archived