Mid South Wrestling: Expand and Conquer (DoTT)

Monday January week 1 1983

Setting: Bill Watts office in Oklahoma.

Who: Bill Watts and Jim Ross

Bill: Have a seat Jim, I have some things to talk to you about.

JR: Yes sir, what do you have on your mind?

Bill: Well, Jim I've realized you have a certain it factor when it comes to knowing who can do what in our business, and I'd like to put you to a different use here in Mid-south.

JR: What are we talking about here sir? More of Talent Relations type role? Maybe a scout in other territories?

Bill: Well kind of, see Jim I have the vision of taking this outside of just the Mid-South and to do that I need a right hand man who can take me there. I need a new head booker and I believe you can be that man.

JR: But sir, I have no experience doing that, I don't think...

Bill: Jim listen to me, I don't trust many people and you're going to sit here and doubt my decision making by turning me down!?

JR: Well, no sir.

Bill: Good so, as of now you will be the head booker around here! Glad to do work with ya son.

JR: Yes sir, I will make you proud.

Bill: You better, now get outta here I have a fifth Jack to finish off.

Where: Jim Ross's home

Who: Jim Ross

As Jim sat at home thinking about his new job he pulls out a pin and a note pad and starts making notes of what his current roster of wrestlers looks like starting from the enhancement talents and working his way up to the main eventers.

Tim Horner: Currently one of the only ET's on the roster, is only 23 and is more of a Technician.

George Weingeroff: At this point he is an opener listed as a face. 30 years of age and is more of a “Regular Wrestler”

Jim Neidhart: 26 year old Heel opener who is more of a brawler.

Mike Bond: 40 year old veteran who is Face opener. Your typical “Regular Wrestler”

Iron Mike Sharpe: 31 year old brawler who is a Heel, Lower mid carder.

Lanny Poffo: 28 year old cruiserweight, who is a Heel Lower Mid carder.

Arn Anderson: 24 year old rookie, who works your typical type of matches he is a heel lower mid carder

Terry Taylor: 27 year old Regular wrestler, who is a face lower mid carder

Bobby Eaton: 24 year old regular wrestler who is a heel mid carder

Buddy Landell: 21 year old regular wrestler, who is a Heel mid carder.

Dennis Condrey: 30 year old regular wrestler who is a Heel mid carder.

Lord Humongous: 27 year old Brawler who is a heel mid carder.

Magnum TA: 23 year old Regular Wrestler who is a face mid carder

Ricky Morton: 26 year old Regular Wrestler who is a face mid carder.

Robert Gibson: 24 year old Regular Wrestler who is a face mid carder.

Tiger Conway Jr.: 33 year old Regular Wrestler who is a heel mid carder.

Bill Dundee: 39 year old Brawler who is a face upper mid carder

Dick Murdoch: 36 year old Brawler who is a heel upper mid carder.

Kamala: 32 year old Brawler who is a heel upper mid carder.

Matt Borne: 25 year old Regular Wrestler who is a heel upper mid carder. Is one half of the Mid-South tag team champions.

Mr. Wrestling II: 48 year old Regular Wrestler who is a face upper mid carder.

Nikolai Volkoff: 35 year old Regular Wrestler who is a heel upper mid carder.

Butch Reed: 28 year old Brawler who is a heel main eventer

Ernie Ladd: 44 year old Brawler who is a heel main eventer

Jim Duggan: 28 year old Brawler who is a face main eventer

Junkyard Dog: 30 year old Brawler who is a face main eventer. He is the Mid-South North American Champion.

Steve Williams: 22 year old Regular Wrestler who is a heel main eventer.

Ted DiBiase: 28 year old Regular Wrestler who is a heel main eventer. Is one half of the Mid-South Tag Team champions.

Where: Jim Ross's Office

When: Night before first TV Show.

Who: Jim Ross and Bill Watts

Watts: So Jim what's on tap for the first TV Show.

JR: Well Bill, I have 5 matches lined up. They include, Magnum TA vs Tim Horner, Arn Anderson Vs Terry Taylor, The Rock N Roll Express Vs Bobby Eaton and Buddy Landell, Mr. Wrestling II Vs Steve Williams, and the main event to be the number one contender for the Mid-South North American Championship Jim Duggan Vs Butch Reed.

Watts: Sounds pretty good to me, I'm ready to see where we can take this. Remember what I said about a bigger plan to take this to a level above where any other company is?

JR: Yes sir and to expand on tha...

Watts: Listen, that stays between us, and it's gonna take time son. Let's focus on being profitable first, don't let us go into debt, that's my main goal for you right now. We can't expand if we don't have money ya understand?

JR: Yes sir.

Watts: Good, I'll see you tonight. And one more goal.

JR: What is that?

Watts: Bring me a bottle of Jack.

Quick Picks

Tim Horner Vs Magnum TA

Arn Anderson Vs Terry Taylor

The Rock n Roll Express Vs Buddy Landell and Bobby Eaton

Mr. Wrestling Vs Steve Williams

Jim Duggan Vs Butch Reed Number one contender match.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>What: Mid South Wrestling (TV Taping)</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> Where: ASU Convention Center </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> Attendence: 10,038</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 1: Magnum TA Vs Tim Horner</strong></p><p> </p><p> In a match that was dominated by TA from the begging, TA won after he made Horner submit after applying the figure four leg lock at 7:52. Magnum TA clearly carried the match if I had to rate both guys performances on a scale of 1-100, TA would get a 72 and Horner would have a 30.</p><p> </p><p> I'd rate the match a 52/100 which is acceptable for an opening squash match.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Commercial</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We get back from break and see Mr. Wrestling II going to his locker room. Out of nowhere Steve Williams runs up behind him and lays him out with a cow bell. He is eventually pulled off by a host of road agents. Only time will tell how this impacts the match up between Mr. Wrestling and Steve Williams.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 60/100</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 2: Arn Anderson Vs Terry Taylor</strong> </p><p> </p><p> This match started with a good back and forth but after about 7 minutes Arn started to use some underhanded tatics to gain the upper hand. The match ended at 10:36 when Arn Anderson hit a spinebuster on Taylor and got the pin. I would grade Anderson's performance a 53 and I would give Taylor a 44.</p><p> </p><p> The match wasn't terrible but it definitely wasn't great. I would rate it a 52/100</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We cut back to the back were the Mid South Tag Team Champions are standing by.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> DiBiase: Matt, you know one thing I've noticed about these so called tag teams in MSW? They all lack one thing that we have.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Borne: That's right Teddy, they don't have the toughness! They walk around dancing to Rock N Roll and wearing flashy colors. When you can down a 6 pack of beer and flip a tractor with one arm tied behind your back then come see me!</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> DiBiase: Easy man, not everyone can be like you. See me and Matt are real men, we know what it takes to be on top of the wrestling world. We can do this day and night without looking like it's a fight. So next week we are issuing an open challenge to any tag team and our belts will be on the line!</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 62/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Commercial</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 3: The Rock N Roll Express Vs Buddy Landell and Bobby Eaton</strong></p><p> </p><p> This match was a good mix on fast paced action and an old school tempo. At the end of the day the RnR Express are just hands down the better team, but this was expected as Eaton and Landell have never tagged before. RnR Express would win this match when Ricky Morton hit a missile drop kick at the 15:36 mark. In terms of in ring performance I would give Morton a 65, Gibson a 60, Landell 51, and Eaton a 54.</p><p> </p><p> This was a decent match that had good back and forth action. I would rate it a 64/100 not bad at all for an under card tag match.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We get a video playing up how Menacing Lord Humongous is.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 56/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 4: Mr. Wrestling II Vs Steve Williams</strong> </p><p> </p><p> Even after the brutal attack earlier in the night this match still went on. It was a solid match that saw Williams go straight for the injuries on Mr. Wrestling II but at the same time showed Mr. Wrestling not giving in and always showing the ability to take more punishment. It looked like Mr. Wrestling was going to pull it out but Williams hit a Backdrop which after all of the beatings Mr. Wrestling had taken he couldn't get back up and Williams got the pin at 13:55. I'd give Steve Williams a performance rating of 79 and Mr. Wrestling a rating of 59.</p><p> </p><p> This match told a great story and made both guys look good. The crowd was behind it and the action didn't disappoint. I would give this match a 73/100.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Commercial</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>Junkyard dog is in the ring as we come back on air. He got a huge pop.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Dog: Dog Pound babyyy!!! Listen here, see ole JYD saw what match was up next and I said Lawd have mercy, let me go out here and see who's gonna try and get the Dog's bone next baby. I see two great men facing off next. I see Jimmy Duggan and I see Big Bad Butch Reed, I think to myself, I said self who do you want to face? And myself told, said Dog, it doesn't matter cause you is one bad man. I'm ready for whoever whenever and I'm staying out here to see who that man will be baby.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 100/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Main Event: Jim Duggan Vs Butch Reed</strong></p><p> </p><p> With JYD watching from ring side this match was to determine who will be the number one contender for the Mid-South North American Championship. This match was close from the start and would be a great one down to the end. Right when you think one man gets an advantage the other is right there with a move that tops it and it had the Arkansas State university crowd loving every second of it. The match ended when Duggan went for a big boot but Reed reversed it and hit a monster Gorilla Press Slam and pinned him 1..2..3. I would give Reed a rating 82 and Duggan a rating of 74</p><p> </p><p> This match was great and the crowd loved every minute of it I would give it a 76/100 and it would be my MOTN.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> <strong>I would give the whole show a 78/100 which is fantastic for a show the size of this company and if they keep going this way I can see them gaining new fans.</strong></p>

<p>I love that roster. So many great names that i've been a fan of for a long time. </p><p> </p><p>

Eaton is a favorite of mine. Sad to see he doesn't have Lane with him or Corronete as his manager. MAgnum TA is gonna be your star if someone doesn't poach him shortly. </p><p> </p><p>

i'll be reading.</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Where: Bill Watts Office</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>

Who: Bill Watts and Jim Ross</strong></span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Watts: Well Jim the first show wasn't too bad, I do think it could get us some outside fans but it may need to get better to not lose us support here in the Mid South.</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

JR: I agree, but I have some great news for you sir.</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Watts: And what would that be?</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

JR: I just got us two new TV deals outside of the Mid-South! One in the Tri-State and one in the South East.</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Watt: That's great news son, you know what this calls for right?</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

JR: Jack Daniels?</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Watt: Hot damn kid you might make it after all! Let me hear what matches are set for this weeks show.</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

JR: I have George Weingeroff Vs Arn Anderson, DiBiase & Borne's open challenge for the Mid-South Tag Team Championships and in the main event, Junkyard Dog Vs Nikolai Volkoff in a non title match</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Quick Picks</p><p> </p><p>

George Weingeroff Vs Arn Anderson</p><p>

DiBiase & Borne Vs ??? & ???</p><p>

JYD Vs Nikolai Volkoff</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>OOC: I cut the show down from 2 hours to an hour and a half.</strong></p>

<p>That was quick work to get the TV deals. </p><p> </p><p>

George Weingeroff Vs <strong>Arn Anderson</strong></p><p>

Gotta push Double A. He might never hit the main event but you have a gatekeper in him. No idea if the Horsemen are in his future but he's still a good hand.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>DiBiase & Borne </strong>Vs Bond and Taylor for no reason why.</p><p>

The champs aren't losing to any other than the Rock and Roll Express. No other teams are built up enough.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>JYD </strong>Vs Nikolai Volkoff</p><p>

DQ end to this, i'd be hyped if you brought in Uncle Ivan. Ivan is one of my favorite heels ever.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Timber" data-cite="Timber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That was quick work to get the TV deals. <p> </p><p> George Weingeroff Vs <strong>Arn Anderson</strong></p><p> Gotta push Double A. He might never hit the main event but you have a gatekeper in him. No idea if the Horsemen are in his future but he's still a good hand.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>DiBiase & Borne </strong>Vs Bond and Taylor for no reason why.</p><p> The champs aren't losing to any other than the Rock and Roll Express. No other teams are built up enough.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>JYD </strong>Vs Nikolai Volkoff</p><p> DQ end to this, i'd be hyped if you brought in Uncle Ivan. Ivan is one of my favorite heels ever.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> TV is a lot easier with the new Broadcasters in 16, so I was able to get a couple good deals on some smaller stations. I had to do something as there are some companies close to cult and I don't want my top talent taken.</p>

What: Mid South Wrestling (TV Taping)

When: January, Wednesday week 2 1983

Where: ASU Convention Center (10,038)

Match 1: George Weingeroff Vs Arn Anderson

This match was over from the start, the young impressive Arn Anderson basically did what ever he wanted to with Weingeroff. Arn made the match go longer than it should have taking it all the way to 9 minutes of pure butt kicking. The match ended when Arn hit Weingeroff with a spinebuster. Arn would get a 52 performance rating and Weingeroff would get a performance rating of 33.

I would give this match a rating of 39/100 not very good even for a squash.

Commercial

We get back and we get some music that no one has heard before and it is Steve Keirn and Stan Lane also better known as the Fabulous Ones!

Lane: You see, me and my buddy were watching Mid South Wrestling last week and we hear that Ted DiBiase and Borne lay out this challenge to any tag team. I said Steve, this looks like it's time to make MSW Fabulous.

Keirn: So let's cut past all of this talking and get to the part where we beat these two fake tough guys and get the Mid South Tag Team Championships.

Rating: 47/100

Match 2: The Fabulous Ones Vs The Real Men

From the start DiBiase looked great and like he was the star, but the Fabulous one's wouldn't go away. Lane and Keirn would fight like champions and show that they had everything that it took to be the tag team champions of MSW. Their shot was cut short when DiBiase locked in a Million Dollar Dream and made Lane submit. DiBiase looked the best out of everyone I would rate his performance a rating of 82, Matt Borne gets a performance rating of 60, Steve Keirn gets a performance rating of 54 Stane Lane gets a rating of 50.

This was a good match that lacked on the crowd reaction side of things. It made The Real Men, look strong and showed the potential of The Fabulous Ones. I would rate this match a 67/100.

Ernie Ladd is backstage and ready to talk.

Ladd: I was sittin in the back last week watchin the main event and I see a man by the name of jim Duggan on my monitor. I feel like this young punk needs to earn his stripes fore he is given all these chances. See big Ernie Ladd was never handed anything! So Duggan if you think you has what it takes to beat me, let me know. Next week I expect to see you face to face and I want to hear what you have to say!

Rating: 72/100

commercial

Main Event: Junkyard Dog Vs Nikolai Volkoff

This match was a good back and forth to start, showing the strengths in both men's game. We saw JYD use the crowd to get in the head of Volkoff. Volkoff tried to cheat but JYD wasn't having any of that, he went on the offense and started head butting Volkoff several times and went in for the pin. 1..2..3 and the winner is Junkyard Dog. I would give Junkyard Dog a performance rating of 90 and I would give Volkoff a performance rating of 62.

Overall this was a good match with the crowd very involved. Only thing would be to book JYD with more thought towards how much stamina he has. I would rate this match a 75/100.

JYD grabs a mic and starts to talk about Butch Reed.

JYD: Ruff, Ruff. See Butch I know you not here tonight, but I know your watching. With the Dog pound behind me I can not be stopped, and I will not give up. When I come out here and see these puppies in the crowd barking back at me I know I can't let them down, and I'm not going to let some young punk step in the dogs yard and mark my territory. So you watch out I will retain what is mine.

Rating: 100/100

I would rate this show a 78/100, this will gain fans in the other two regions they have TV but may lose some fans in the Mid South.

Watts: So ratings where down last week, we need to rebound what do you have on tap for this week Jim?

JR: Well sir, as of right now we have, Magnum TA Vs Dennis Condrey, Mr. Wrestling II Vs Dick Murdoch, Arn Anderson Vs Mike Bond, and the main event will be JYD and Jim Duggan Vs Butch Reed and Ernie Ladd.

Watts: That sounds great, not many companies put big matches on TV, and I think matches like this tag team match will show we are above and beyond the other guys.

JR: That's what I was thinking sir, and if the audience sees what we have here it will make them buy the tickets for our big show.

Watts: Which leads to more money and quicker expansion! That's a way to use your head Jim. Now get out of here.

JR: Bill, this is my office....

Watts: *with a slight chuckle * My whiskey is in the other room any way.

Quick picks

Magnum TA Vs Dennis Condrey

Mr. Wrestling II Vs Dick Murdoch

Arn Anderson Vs Mike Bond

JYD & Duggan Vs Reed & Ladd

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>What: Mid South Wrestling TV Taping</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> Where: ASU Convention Center (10,038)</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> When: 3rd week of January 1983</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 1: Arn Anderson Vs Mike Bond</strong></p><p> </p><p> Arn started strong and looked to keep his hot streak alive from the very beginning in this one, he just completely overwhelmed Bond and made him look like a rookie when in fact Bond has been at it a lot longer than Arn has. Arn Anderson ended this match when he locked in a Boston Crab and made Mike Bond submit 8:38 into the match. I would give Arn an in ring performance of 58 in this match and Mike Bond an in ring performance rating of 38.</p><p> </p><p> This was your standard squash match as Arn Anderson continues his reign of dominance over the last three weeks. I would give this a 41/100.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We cut backstage and see “The Real Men” Ted DiBiase and Matt Borne</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> DiBiase: Another week another team that isn't tough enough to deal with Real Men. We told you that no other team can beat us. We told you that no one can match our level of toughness!</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Borne: LETS DO IT AGAIN TED!!!</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> DiBiase: Easy big guy! But I like where your head is at. Next week we're going round 2! That's right next week the open challenge is back, and it's for any team anywhere.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 64/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>commercial</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 2: Mr. Wrestling II Vs Dick Murdoch</strong> </p><p> </p><p> From the start you can see that Mr. Wrestling was still feeling the effects of his beatdown from Steve Williams two weeks ago, but as we know Mr. Wrestling doesn't quit. Both guys go back and worth in this one and they have the crowd loving every minute of it. This all changed when Mr. Wrestling was whipped in the the referee and the ref went down! Out of no where Steve Williams runs out Cowbell in hand and lays out Mr. Wrestling. Williams wakes the ref up and Murdoch pins Mr. Wrestling for the three count and stealing this match. As far as in ring performance ratings go I would give Mr. Wrestling a 58 as he was still dealing with the nagging injuries left by Steve Williams, and I would give Murdoch a 82.</p><p> </p><p> Despite the ending when Mr. Wrestling got cheated, this was a good match and had the crowd loving every second of it. I would rate this match 71/100.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>And it looks like Steve Williams isn't done, he picks Mr. Wrestling up and powerbombs him into the turnbuckle. He then proceeds to take him to the outside where he grabs a steel chair and beats Mr. Wrestling down focusing in on the injured ribs and back. This man needs to be stopped, this has gotten out of hand. Steve Williams rolls Mr. Wrestling back into the ring and stands with both arms raised over the lifeless body of Mr. Wrestling II.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 61/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 3: Magnum TA Vs Dennis Conrad</strong> </p><p> </p><p> This match from the start was a brawl both guys just going at it hard with fists flying all over the place. TA slowly gained advantage after he broke out of a headlock from Conrad. The match would end when Magnum TA would lock in a figure four leg lock and make Dennis Conrad submit. This match lasted for 10:38, and as far as in ring performances go I'd give Magnum TA a 64 and Dennis Conrad a 54.</p><p> </p><p> This match was good, but not great. It showed what both guys could do without making the other look any weaker. As far as a match rating goes I would give this a 64/100</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>commercial</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We get back and we are about to have our main event. Before the match starts we have Junkyard Dog and Butch Reed, in the middle of the ring staring each other down and boy is it intense.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating 94/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Main Event: JYD and Jim Duggan Vs Butch Reed and Ernie Ladd</strong></p><p> </p><p> The crowd is buzzing at the fact that this match is on TV. Both teams are out for blood and we see Butch look very good and taunting his way through the match getting tons of heat from the crowd here at the Arkansas State University Convention Center. The match shows all four guys in great light and makes the crowd care about each and everyone of the competitors. After awhile of back and forth action, the four guys all make their way to the outside and are going to town on each other. This match has ended as a double DQ as both teams are uncontrollable at this point and the ref had no other choice but to call a stop. When it comes to in ring performances I would rate in order, Junkyard Dog with a 92, Butch Reed with a 86, Jim Duggan with a 74 and Ernie Ladd with a 68.</p><p> </p><p> In terms of a match rating I would give this a 72/100, a very good match that had an ending that left more to be desired. The fans went home happy though as they got to see four main eventers in the main event which is rare.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>For the show I would give this a 75/100 which will help raise MSW's profile in the South East and Tri State Area, but may leave some fans in the Mid South wanting more.</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p>

What: Weekly Pre Show meeting.

Who: Jim Ross and Bill Watts.

Jim: Bill let be start this off with some bad news I've gotten a couple days ago..

Watts: And what would that be?

Jim: Well, Georgia Championship Wrestling has started handed out exclusive contracts to talents.

Watts: Exculsive? Like guaranteed money? That's insanse, but we have a working agreement with them so we are safe right?

Jim: Well sir, they are saying if they have been working for both of us than they won't sign them to an exclusive deal but if they are just on our roster they are fair game.

Watts: That S.O.B has beat me to the punch. So what are we looking at has any talent been approached?

Jim: 3 guys sir, and that's it as of right now.

Watts: Well who are they Jim?

Jim Ross tells Bill Watts the three guys names.

Watts: Damn it! Ok well you know what that means we have to step this thing up whats on tap for this weeks show.

Jim: We have Terry Taylor Vs Lanny Poffo, The Real Men Open Challenge, Arn Anderson Vs Magnum TA, and in the main event Steve Williams Vs Jim Duggan.

Watts: Sounds good.

Quick Picks

Terry Taylor Vs Lanny Poffo

The Real Men Vs ???

Arn Anderson Vs Magnum TA

Steve Williams Vs Jim Duggan

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>What: Mid South Wrestling TV Taping</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> When: week 4 of January 1983</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong> Where: ASU Convention Center (10,038)</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 1: Terry Taylor Vs Lanny Poffo</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p> This match started pretty even but it didn't take long for Terry to take control. You could see Terry using his big size advantage to his advantage, it really took a big toll on Lanny Poffo. Terry Taylor would lock in a Modified Death Lock and made Lanny Poffo submit 11:08 into the match. The in ring performance ratings would be, Taylor with a 45 and Poffo with a 40.</p><p> </p><p> This match had some decent action but the crowd was dead, in fact having this match open the show has the crowd basically not caring right now. I would give it a rating of 42/100.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We get a video showing Junkyard Dog doing work with kids in the different Mid South States, we also see recaps of his work the last three weeks. This was placed well and got the crowd interested in the show again.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 84/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 2: The Real Men Vs ??? for the Mid South Tag Team Championships</strong></p><p> </p><p> A sound of loud Rock music comes on as two face painted Men come out. It Is Hawk and Animal The Road Warriors! The match is good from the start with The Real Men not knowing how to handle the two young studs, getting in some good offense. It didn't take long to see what Animal and Hawk where all about, they showed outstanding chemistry and looked like they had been teaming for twenty years even thought that is far from the truth. The Real Men where clearly thrown off by how good this young duo was, and it made the guys start to doubt each other. The match ended after Borne knocked his partner off the apron inadvertently, and Hawk put Borne up on his shoulder as Animal climbed up to the second rope and hit a flying clothsline that took Borne down. To everyone's surprise we have a three count and we have new Mid South Tag Team Champions!! In terms of in ring performances I would give Borne a 64, DiBiase 84, Hawk a 54 and Animal a 56.</p><p> </p><p> This was a very good match and had the crowd loving every minute of it. I would rate this match a 72 out of 100. It did what it needed to do, and made The Road Warriors look very good.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Commercial</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>Steve Williams is in the ring as we come back from break</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Williams: All I've been hearing as I walk down the streets of this dump of a city is “Why Steve, Why?” All this little kids who think Mr. Wrestling is some kind of super hero, like Mr. Wrestling is the best thing that has happened since pro wrestling started and it's just false. I'm the baddest man in Mid South Wrestling and I sit back and watch as people like Mr. Wrestling get all the opportunities, while I get pushed to the side and stuck wrestling people below my level. So I decided that I would make a statement, and unfortunately for Mr. Wrestling it starts with him. After I finish him off on Saturday, it'll be on to another. I will be respected around here.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 64/100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Match 3: Arn Anderson Vs Magnum TA</strong></p><p> </p><p> This match was a match between two guys who have been tearing it up over the past couple of weeks. We see a very similar style between Arn and TA that made this a good even back and forth between to future stars of pro wrestling. When it came down to it Arn used his underhanded tactics to gain an upper hand on TA and hit a monstrous spine buster for the three count. As far as the In ring performances go I would give TA a 64 and Arn a 62.</p><p> </p><p> This was a solid match that lacked crowd involvement, but was still a good match. I would give this match a 64/100.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Commercial</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>We come back from and we see Junkyard Dog backstage, mic in hand ready to talk to his dog pound.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> JYD: This Saturday, I will show Butch Reed the meaning of respect! See all my dogs know that when JYD steps in the ri....</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Out of no where comes Butch Reed who knocks JYD out from behind! He is using brass knuckles and he keep going to town on Junkyard Dog. Butch then picks up the mic.</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Reed: That's enough! I'm tired of hearing about “respect” Why should I respect this man? He is a no good fake nice guy, who pretends to care about these idiots! But that's ok, starting Saturday when I beat JYD for that North American Championship, I will be top dog!</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> </em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Rating: 100</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Main Event: Steve Williams Vs Jim Duggan</strong> </p><p> </p><p> This match was intense from the start. Both guys bring a certain fire to the ring and it showed throughout this match. Williams is still angry about what he calls a lack of respect from the MSW crowd and his peers and he takes it out of Duggan early own even screaming “You think you deserve more chances than I do” at him a couple different times during the match. Jim doesn't go away though! He fights back and shows Williams what he is made and had Williams on the edge of losing it when out of no where Williams thumbs Duggan in the eye which sets up a deadly Backdrop Driver and he gets the pin to the displeasure of the crowd here at ASU. In terms of in ring performance I would give Steve Williams a 82 and Jim Duggan a 80.</p><p> </p><p> This was a very good match between two of the younger main eventers of MSW, the crowd was into and both wrestlers came out looking great. I would give this match a 73/100.</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Overall the show was good but lacked the quality of the last few weeks I would give it a 76/100.</p>

What: Weekly Meeting With Jim Ross

Watts: So have you heard any solids on the exclusive deals yet?

JR: Well sir, Magnum TA and Ricky Morton are gone. They will be leaving in seven days and heading to Georgia.

Watts: Well any news on the other guy offered?

JR: Not right now only other thing is an additional wrestler has been offered an exclusive deal also.

Watts: Ok, let me hear the final card for MSW The Big One: Junkyard Dog Vs Butch Reed

JR: Alright sir we have, Magnum TA Vs Nikolai Volkoff, DiBaise and Borner Vs Rock N' Roll Express, Steve Williams Vs Mr. Wrestling, Ernie Ladd Vs Jim Duggan, and of course the main event JYD Vs Butch Reed.

Watts: So The Real Men want get a title rematch?

JR: Not this show, they had a prior commitment to GCW

Watts: I'm getting real tired of those bastards.

Quick Picks

Magnum TA Vs Nikolai Volkoff

The Real Men Vs The Rock N Roll Express

Steve Williams Vs Mr Wrestling II

Ernie Ladd Vs Jim Duggan

JYD Vs Butch Reed for the Mid South North American Championship

Archived