Chester Bennington Passes away

shawn michaels

Linkin Park's vocalist apparently committed suicide and was found dead at his home. Though his reps haven't confirmed yet, it seems this is for real. He was only 41 years, this is a big loss. I used to listen to these guys a lot back in the day. It's a shame we lose yet another artist at such a young age. At 41 he still had a lot to live. May he RIP.

I'm not Linkin Park's biggest fan in the world but Hybrid Theory meant so much to me growing up. I listened to it for the first time in a while just the other day in fact, I was watching a Todd in a Shadows video and he referenced them and that album and I remembered how fantastic One Step Closer and Points of Authority were.

Ugh, this ****ing sucks so damn much.

Gutted beyond words.

Linkin Park were my introduction in music really, at least in terms of spurning an interest into listening to other music, way back when Hybrid Theory was first released.

Have to say haven't really been a fan since after Meteora, there was the odd song I still liked but Linkin Park really got me through a tough year I was having at the time when I got Hybrid Theory. Meant so much to me in my teenage years really.

A part of my childhood died today, doesn't feel good. Talented guy, nobody should die that young.

RIP.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43987" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I liked his music and all but it is hard for me to garner sympathy for someone who made the choice to end his life. I do however have sympathy for his family. Especially the <strong>six kids</strong> he left fatherless.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Clearly you don't know anyone who struggles with depression otherwise you'd be singing a different tune.</p><p> </p><p> It's hard to find light in the darkness when legitimate depression takes control. It's not just sadness or "woe is me". It's an empty void that sucks every ounce of joy out of your life.</p><p> </p><p> It wasn't a choice he made, it was what felt like his only option to end the suffering. I've gotten to the breaking point and broke, but lived through the ordeal thanks to a great medical staff.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43987" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Clearly you don't know anyone who struggles with depression otherwise you'd be singing a different tune.<p> </p><p> It's hard to find light in the darkness when legitimate depression takes control. It's not just sadness or "woe is me". It's an empty void that sucks every ounce of joy out of your life.</p><p> </p><p> It wasn't a choice he made, it was what felt like his only option to end the suffering. I've gotten to the breaking point and broke, but lived through the ordeal thanks to a great medical staff.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You do not know anything about me and what I have been through in life, yet you feel qualified to tell me what I know or do not know. Suicide is absolutely a choice. You either do or you do not do it.</p><p> </p><p> You said it yourself, you have gotten to the breaking point and have broken and yet you are still here because you are a survivor. You chose to live.</p><p> </p><p> Suicide is never ones only option and you are proof of that. Suicide is such a selfish action that impacts the lives of everyone around the person who died.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43987" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You do not know anything about me and what I have been through in life, yet you feel qualified to tell me what I know or do not know. Suicide is absolutely a choice. You either do or you do not do it.<p> </p><p> You said it yourself, you have gotten to the breaking point and have broken and yet you are still here because you are a survivor. You chose to live.</p><p> </p><p> Suicide is never ones only option and you are proof of that. Suicide is such a selfish action that impacts the lives of everyone around the person who died.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So maybe the real tragedy is that he felt that was his only option. That last album just sounds like a cry for help now. Sad.</p>

<p>The people who say suicide is the easy way out make me laugh, you're saying going against EVERY single instinct in your body and every persons self preservation is more easy then living? that means living is REALLY messed up and I'd seriously question if living was worth it if its really harder then ending it</p><p> </p><p>

To be clear, I dont agree with suicide being the easy way out, when you say its the easy way out you make it seem like life is not worth living. </p><p> </p><p>

As for suicide being selfish that depends on your beliefs: For me, he is dead, that is it. So no its not selfish cause he gains NOTHING from it.</p><p>

To be fair I guess it depends on his beliefs to decide if its selfish. if he believes nothing happens afterwords then he gains nothing and just was not done for his own gain and just not selfish</p>

<p>Well the way I look at it is, it is a selfish act. Perhaps the most selfish act a person can do, because once it is done it is done. You do not have to worry about the consequences of the act because you are no longer around. </p><p> </p><p>

Therefore, it is your loved ones who are left to cope with life without you and the what ifs. What if I did this or said that maybe I could have saved him. Also, his kids are now more likely to go down the same road he did.</p>

<p>Feel the same way about DUIs? </p><p> </p><p>

Just be glad it's not you going through that (on either side of it).</p><p> </p><p>

Edit:</p><p> </p><p>

Can't imagine what it must be like. This is from 5 months ago.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ZC_-zeWYMYo?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Chester Bennington's cry for HELP! Linkin Park"></iframe></div></div>

<p>One of my best friends lost his struggle with mental illness last year. His sister posted this on Facebook and figured it was appropriate for this topic.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43987" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Suicide is such a sad thing for everyone involved.<p> </p><p> I'm not looking for any replies on this or any pity. Also no negativity.</p><p> </p><p> When my brother committed suicide I had a multitude of emotions. One of them being anger. Yes, I was so angry... I just kept asking myself why? How could you? How could you leave your little sister here alone? But as the roller coaster of emotions evolved each and every day after his suicide the sadness became overwhelming... I started to feel so guilty and bad for him that he was in that much pain and mental torture</p><p> </p><p> We watched my brother slowly become consumed by OCD, bipolar/manic depression, schizophrenia and depression since he was in high school and even younger. Counseling, psychiatrists, medication and in and out of the psyc ward unwillingly until the last few times he admitted himself because the thoughts and voices started to scare him. He wanted help but the hospitals were too full or didn't have any beds so they would release him. He lived at home in my parents basement. My mom ended up taking legal guardianship of him in his mid 20's because he was mentally not well. It was absolutely heart wrenching to watch. He really struggled and each year it got worse and worse.. the 5 years leading up to his suicide were so disheartening and so very sad. Depression is such a terrible demon to suffer from. His mental illnesses pulled him further and further away from everything and everyone he loved. He was the most talented musician I've ever met and will ever meet. </p><p> The lyrics he wrote for all of his songs really spoke about his demons and struggles. It's comforting to listen to his album but it's also very sad. </p><p> </p><p> As Chester Bennington said in an interview </p><p> “I have been able to tap into all the negative things that can happen to me throughout my life by numbing myself to the pain, so to speak, and kind of being able to vent it through my music” </p><p> </p><p> “If it wasn’t for music I’d be dead,” he added. “One hundred percent.”</p><p> </p><p> Trying to fully explain my brothers life story would take many hours and days to get it all out in writing and even then you still may never understand. </p><p> </p><p> <strong>It's not right to judge a person for something you may never understand and good for you! May you never have to understand what went on in their brains or how tortured they were. </strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p> So until you fully understand mental illnesses then you are in no place to judge. At all. People who have mental illness don't wake up each day thinking yes I love these racing thoughts I can't control or I love feeling mentally trapped with no one who can relate. You're under the illnesses' control. There might be days where you can halfway function and think fairly straight but at the end of the day, week, month, year(s) the chemical imbalance consumes what's left of you or who you used to be</p><p> Please save your opinions on this one and do not comment with any judgmental or uneducated remark. I may have spoke my peace in an very direct way.. Emotions aside, don't say anything you'll regret because one day you may never be able to make right of it.</p><p> </p><p> Yes, everyone gets depressed sometimes... But I don't expect everyone to understand how severe it can become. Even with help. </p><p> EVERYONE fights their own battle, big or small. Just because YOU can overcome something doesn't mean that people are at blame for not being able to. </p><p> </p><p> If you can't relate or don't agree with me at all then maybe that's a good thing? You're very fortunate to have not been personally affected by mental illnesses that unfortunately sometimes lead to suicide. </p><p> </p><p> Losing my brother was and is going to be the toughest thing I'll ever go through in my lifetime. I struggle everyday with losing him to a battle he did not want for himself either. </p><p> I've forgiven him. </p><p> I love you Dan and miss you so much.</p></div></blockquote>

Chester Bennington had everything in his possession that a person could possibly dream of having. He was married, he had six kids, he was the frontman of a commercially successful rock band and lived his dream of writing and performing music to a like-minded adoring audience for the better part of 17 years. Imagine how much he was suffering to still decide that death was an easier option than living. Imagine yourself in that position. He has my utmost sympathy, he was more brave and courageous in 41 years of his life than all of us put together.

<p>It can't be a selfish act cause again you're not around to gain from it. You lose evreything, you sacrifice evreything, you make the hardest choice and an act that makes you lose evreything.</p><p>

All you do when you claim it is selfish is make those who have the thoughts feel a billion times worse about it and make it feel like they can't get help. Hell, id go so far to say plenty who only have the thought of it may be pushed to do it after thinking they are so horrible for having a disses.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Read his story, being deemed so mentally unstable that in his 20s his mom took guardian ship of him. He was deemed unfit to care for him self.</p><p> </p><p>

He TRIED to get help, nothing worked. This man was sick.</p><p>

Do you blame a man with alzheimer?</p><p> </p><p>

He simply had an illness that we don't have the means to cure yet and it destoyed him. </p><p>

If at 20 he was deemed unable to make his own choices id say he probably always was and that others failed him, not the other way around. (Their failure may not be there fault, there is simply a point of no return.)</p><p> </p><p>

He reached out for help, he was turned around. He needed help, no one could give it to him.</p><p>

(Maybe right now no one could of helped him)</p><p>

Some illness cant be fixed. And before anyone says it just cause some have the same problems and make it dont mean he will. Look at cancer, hundred pepole with same cancer treated same way. Some it wont help, not their fault.</p>

<p><strong>CQ</strong>, I am not sure I understand what you mean by that question. I will try to answer the question that I think you are asking. However, if it is not what you are trying to ask please feel free to clear up what you are asking me.</p><p> </p><p>

Are you are asking me if I have no sympathy for people who drive drunk or in an altered state that end up killing or injuring someone? Then yeah I have not one ounce of sympathy for them. Once again I feel bad for anyone on the road with them who might end up in the hospital or in the worst case scenario dead because of them. </p><p> </p><p>

I find it very hard to muster up any feelings of sympathy for someone who goes on the road in a four thousand pound car and plows into someone while intoxicated. Especially when calling a taxi or getting an Uber is not that hard of a thing to do, all you have to do is call or click and then you do not have to worry about potentially killing someone. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jaysin</strong> you clearly wanted me to read the part that was bolded (I read the whole post but the bolded part was, I assume, meant for me. If not then disregard the following two paragraphs). Once again you are making the assumption that I have not dealt with a friend or family member’s suicide because of my oppositional stance towards you. I would like to remind you that you do not know what I have been through in life and why I think the way I do. You cannot possibly know if I have or had not had someone in my personal life kill themselves and you do not know if I have or had not had a family member with a mental illness (Sad enough to say it is a yes to both of them.). You are doing the exact same thing to me that you do not want me to do. You are making judgements about me based on what I am posting. You are deeming me “uneducated” on the subject matter just because I do not think the same way you do. </p><p> </p><p>

I have every right to feel the way I feel about suicide and those who commit it. Just like you have every right to feel the way you feel. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong, but I do not understand why being anti-suicide or having no sympathy for people who commit suicide is such an objectionable opinion. Trust me when I say this, my remarks are not uneducated (I truly wish they were) and I will not have an ounce of regret for saying what I am saying.</p><p> </p><p>

I have said all I will say on this topic because it has gotten to the point where I have my opinion and everyone else has their own. I will not change my opinion on the subject and others will not change theirs. Therefore, there is no need to keep this circular argument going on and on. I mean I do like to read other people’s viewpoints but it does get to a point where nothing new can be added. People can say what they like but I am done. </p><p> </p><p>

I will respond to anything CQ has to say in regards to what they wrote, if my answer was not what they were looking for.</p>

Archived