1980 - Nwauk

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/NWAUK-Logo_zps4yy6vrmb.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/NWAUK-Logo_zps4yy6vrmb.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <strong>{I'm using the Mod Squad work in progress 1980 Mod for this one.}</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's January 1980 and the NWA have successful territories across the world, from Japan to Mexico and across North America. The November NWA board meeting saw a decision taken to expand in to the United Kingdom. The Crabtree's had no interest in any involvement whatsoever, indeed they couldn't have been less interested in the big belt during talks in December '79. They had their own world title and had never needed any real ties to America.<p> </p><p> This caused initial concern, but the NWA board would not give up. Discussions with workers who had NWA ties, names such as Johnny Eagles, Ted Heath and Al Hayes, led to an invite being sent out to one man to attend the December board meeting. Bob Geigel hoped that this would lead to more positive results and, as it turned out, <strong>Ken Joyce</strong> did indeed agree to run the promotion. Joyce had promoting experience with Devereux promotions, was a fantastic worker, had trained workers such as Johnny Kidd and lent towards the NWA style.</p><p> </p><p> The initial specifics as given to Joyce by the NWA were as follows:</p><p> </p><p> - A promotional development fund of £2,500,000 would be made available.</p><p> - The promotion would be based out of London.</p><p> - January would be used to build the roster ahead of the first events.</p><p> - January would see an end of month event, if the roster is ready early then Joyce had authorisation to run a test event.</p><p> - February would see the beginning of weekly events around the UK. These could be used for discussions with television executives.</p><p> - Joyce had full control over television, the NWA board did note that it would be nice if the January event was televised in the US. Joyce highlighted that the BBC was not an option for the UK.</p><p> - Joyce would present his plans for Championships to the NWA Board at the end of February. </p><p> - No active Joint Promotions workers were to appear on the shows.</p></div></blockquote>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LordofGustav" data-cite="LordofGustav" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When i saw the title, i tought that you were trying to make a Inuit promotion (I didn't think of NWA UK, but Nuauk and that sound quite Inuit). Anyway, i hope you can make this a great diary.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, I was sat in the dark when typing the Title and couldn't be bothered deleting the thread and doing it again.</p>

<p>We're in to mid-January and Ken Joyce received a phone call from Bob Geigel.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Hi Ken, just thought I'd check in and see how things are progressing.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Hello Bob, I can give you a quick update then. First though, can I just say that I've appreciated the support so far. The guys from Amarillo were in contact, so the January Wrestling Spectacular will be shown on a TV channel around there. They've also said they'll send me a name worker to use on the night. A lad called Jim phoned, spent time selling himself to me and then said he'd see me in August.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> The NWA convention, Jim is up for election to the role of President.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> That makes sense now. That aside, I've been busy piecing things together. Before I go over the signings, I've got one concern and one piece of good news.</p><p> </p><p><strong> Bob:</strong> I'll take the good news.</p><p> </p><p><strong> Ken:</strong> Okay, well I'm going to take up the opportunity to run a test show. It will be on the Monday prior to the Wrestling Spectacular and in the London area.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> That is good news. Do you need any support for that one?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> No, I think I will run it with the signings so far and maybe some local workers. Now, this concern though. A few of my signings have come from Dale Martin Promotions.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Okay, you'll remember the discussion we had around the active workers Joint workers.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Yes, aware of that. It actually means I can't use Adrian, who signed for us then signed for Relwyskow & Green. </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Release him then, fairly simple. I sense that isn't the main concern though.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> It's not. I signed three of the Joint Promotion champions, but I'm sitting here with the latest Dale Martin event programme and they still have them advertised as champions. I don't see a major issue, I'm just concerned about spectators expecting title matches at the end of the month.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> That's fair enough, but you can't worry about things like that. It's for the individuals to work out their notice and then come to you free of any obligations.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Agreed Bob. Right, sorry, anyway, the signings. The three just mentioned were Wayne Bridges, Mark Rocco and Tony St. Clair. I have also come to an agreement with The Dynamite Kid, though he'll be in Japan this month, John Quinn and Kendo Nagasaki has agreed to return to the ring. The other main one of note so far is Johnny Eagles, who obviously brings a wealth of experience with him.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Who do you have on your support staff?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Martin Warren is in as a Referee, whilst Al Hayes and Jackie Pallo will do any announcing that may be required or interviews etc. Al has some commitments in America, plus Orig will be using him over here.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> All sounds okay Ken. Oh, final question is on you agent.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Ah, oh yes, totally forgot. It's not been something I've required in the past. I've brought in Whipper Billy Watson...</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Oh!</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Oh?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> You hear stories Ken, that's all. I've nothing concrete.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Okay. He has friends across here and I trusted their opinion so I'll give him the chance.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> That's perfectly okay Ken. Listen, I need to go and get some other calls made. Good luck with your test event and let me know if you need any support for the Wrestling Spectacular.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> I will do Bob and thank you for the call.</p></div></blockquote>

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">NWA UK - Debut Show Monday, Week 4, January 1980</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{George Gillette makes his way to the ring.}<p> </p><p> "Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you the man known as Kendo Nagasaki."</p><p> </p><p> {Kendo makes his way out to the ring, enters the ring and stands there. After a few moments, both men leave the ring.} <strong>©</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #1</strong></p><p> Ken Joyce defeats Scott McGhee <strong>(F+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Alfred Hayes is in the ring and Tony St. Clair comes out.}<p> </p><p> "Welcome to the NWA Tony."</p><p> </p><p> "Thank you Alfred, it's great to be in the ring with a legend such as yourself."</p><p> </p><p> "Now, that belt you're carrying Tony...you're not actually the British Heavyweight champion are you. I don't think the NWA has a British Heavyweight championship."</p><p> </p><p> "No Alfred, you're correct on both counts. I felt it important that the fans here were aware of the full picture. But, funnily enough, nobody has told me where to send the belt."</p><p> </p><p> "Ha, that does sound very very like D...errm...good luck in your upcoming match." <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> <strong>Match #2</strong></p><p> Tony St. Clair defeats Rick Wiseman <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Dave Finlay and Mark Rocco come to the ring, where Jackie Pallo is waiting on them.}<p> </p><p> "Dave, Mark, it's good to see both of you! I'm sure the fans at ringside are wanting to know..."</p><p> </p><p> "Jackie, all these fans need to know is that Paula isn't with me. The opponents had better understand what that means too!"</p><p> </p><p> "I still consider myself the British Heavy Middleweight champion Jackie. Nobody has defeated me for it and I'm not as nice as Tony St. Clair. If you want to be a champion you have to beat a champion. But, that's something that may be out of my hands. Tonight, it's time for the Rollerball and this weapon of destruction next to me to have some fun! Bring out your dead!" <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> <strong>Match #3</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco & Dave Finlay defeat Peter Stewart & Taffy Jenkins <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Alfred Hayes introduces Wayne Bridges, who comes down to the ring.}<p> </p><p> "Wayne, you're another man who until recently had claim to being a champion."</p><p> </p><p> "Yes Alfred, I was indeed the World Heavyweight champion. I've moved to the NWA though and...what's he doing here?"</p><p> </p><p> {John Quinn has come down to the ring, he grabs a chair and sits down at ringside. Fans at ringside can hear him shouting "I'm just watching you champ...just watching."} <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> <strong>Match #4</strong></p><p> Magnificent Maurice defeats Wayne Bridges <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #5</strong></p><p> John Quinn defeats Rory Campbell <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #6</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki defeats Dino Skarlo <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Alfred Hayes and Jackie Pallo get in to the ring.}<p> </p><p> <strong>Alfred:</strong> "Okay folks, I hope you've enjoyed the action so far. We're going to give everyone in the back a few minutes then will have a battle royal for you before you head home."</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Jackie:</strong> "How can they not have enjoyed it Alfred! We have three men who have never been defeated for their titles, the mysterious Kendo is back and we're all here under the NWA banner."</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Alfred:</strong> "Well Jackie, these fans have the opportunity to watch even more great action on Friday night at the Fairfield Halls."</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Jackie</strong>: "It's certainly a better option than any of the other six wrestling events scheduled around the country on Friday night. You don't want to be in Liverpool or Maidenhead when you could be in the Fairfield Halls. Plus, with the NWA association, anyone could be there!"</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Alfred:</strong> "That does indeed sound very very exciting. Now though, the battle royal and thank you all for coming along this evening. <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> <strong>Match #7</strong></p><p> Battle Royal - Crusher Brannigan, John Quinn, Johnny Eagles, Ken Joyce, Magnificent Maurice, Mark Rocco, Mike Bennett, Roger Wells, Steve Taylor and Tony St. Clair</p><p> <strong>Winner:</strong> John Quinn <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p><strong> Overall:</strong> C-</p><p> </p><p> (The show appearance was affected by various production aspects being worse than at least one of our rivals.)</p>

<p>Fans attending the January Wrestling Spectacular were able to purchase the accompanying event programme. </p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/Wrestleview-1_zpsdoc5wyyg.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/Wrestleview-1_zpsdoc5wyyg.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The programme itself included the dates and venues for the upcoming February UK Tour.<p> </p><p> <strong>February Dates</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Weekly Order</strong> - Wednesday, Friday & Saturday</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Week 1</strong> - Huddersfield Town Hall, Paisley Town Hall, Leeds Town Hall</p><p> <strong>Week 2</strong> - The Guildhall (Southampton), Liverpool Stadium, Willenhall Baths</p><p> <strong>Week 3</strong> - The Market Hall (Carlisle), Cambridge Corn Exchange, The Beach Ballroom (Aberdeen)</p><p> <strong>Week 4</strong> - Caird Hall (Dundee), Fairfield Halls (Croydon)*, Sophia Gardens Pavilion (Cardiff)</p><p> </p><p> * Venue for February's Wrestling Spectacular</p><p> </p><p> See all your domestic favourites, stars of the National Wrestling Alliance and your Champions.</p><p> </p><p> The programme also included a brief section headed "Bringing the Belts". This section highlighted that Wayne Bridges, Tony St. Clair and Mark Rocco had brought their respective belts with them to the NWA UK and that they would now only be defended on NWA UK shows.</p></div></blockquote>

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">NWA UK Wrestling Spectacular, January 1980</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #1</strong></p><p> Hans Streiger & Klaus Wallas defeat Steve Taylor and Scott McGhee</p><p> </p><p> There wasn't really much to note during this match. Wallas and Taylor gave a good display of mat work, whilst McGhee didn't look too happy at the end.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #2</strong></p><p> John Quinn defeats Mike Bennett</p><p> </p><p> Quinn and Bennett were at each other even before the ring bell had been rung. As the MC dove for cover, the bell was rung anyway and a brawl ensued that looked like it may have been personal. </p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #3</strong></p><p> Tony St. Clair defeats Crusher Brannigan in a two out of three falls match</p><p> </p><p> Brannigan took the first fall clean, but was evidently upset by St. Clair taking the match to a third fall and subsequently winning with a quick folding press.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Post-match, Crusher attacked St. Clair with a headbutt to the back of the head. He then grabbed St. Clair's British Heavyweight title belt and draped it across him before leaving the ring.} <strong>©</strong></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Jackie Pallo entered the ring as St. Clair was helped away.}<p> </p><p> "Ladies and genetlemen, as you know there has been some change in the British wrestling scene. In my view it's not before time and, frankly, it's time we started emptying the streets again. Hopefully, with the help of our friends in the NWA, we can do exactly that. Tonight, we will introduce to you three wrestlers from the NWA. Two of them will be new to most of you, whilst a lot of you may have seen the third man before although maybe not realise it. So, without further ado, let me introduce Ted Heath and Jim Brunzell."</p><p> </p><p> {Both men make their way to the ring and shake hands with Jackie.}</p><p> </p><p> "Ted Heath & Jim Brunzell everyone, Jim being the younger. Now, both these men will be with us throughout February. Tonight though, your promoter Ken Joyce has selected partners for each and I'll now leave the ring so the tag match can take place." <strong>(C+)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #4</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco & Ted Heath defeated Johnny Eagles & Jim Brunzell</p><p> </p><p> Mark Rocco was obviously looking to make a point, indeed Ted Heath was mostly in for short sharp spells. Eagles took the initial brunt of the punishment, tagging in Brunzell later on. Rocco did though have the good grace to allow Heath to take the pinfall.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Post-match, Mark Rocco puts his British Heavy Middleweight belt back on and quickly grabs the microphone from the ringside table.}<p> </p><p> "This belt right here is mine, nobody takes it from me and yes I have brought it with me to the NWA United Kingdom. I really don't care what anyone thinks or says, if you have an issue come here and say it to my face! That even goes to anyone watching this out in America." <strong>©</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{George Gillette and Kendo Nagasaki come out, they wait as Rocco leaves the ring and nods respectfully towards Kendo.}<p> </p><p> "People, you haven't seen anything yet. The man with me, the mystical Kendo Nagasaki, is going to defeat whomever his opponent is for this evening. Sit, gaze upon with wonder and give this man the respect he is surely due." <strong>©</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #5</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki defeats Peter Stewart</p><p> </p><p> Stewart had little chance of getting in to this match, with Nagasaki controlling the action and having the majority of the offence.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Jackie Pallo comes up in to the ring again.}<p> </p><p> "Now everyone, we have the third NWA wrestler to appear here. He's only here for one night, but who knows what can happen down the road. Please join me in welcoming Dory Funk Junior to the Fairfield Halls."</p><p> </p><p> {Dory makes his way out as the crowd applaud and Jackie gets back out of the ring.} <strong>(B)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #6 </strong></p><p> Dory Funk Jnr defeats Magnificent Maurice</p><p> </p><p> Dory and Maurice gave a fine display of technical wrestling, with Maurice not looing too far out of place. The action would spill out to the outside briefly, but very quickly moved back inside. Both men were looking tired towards the end, possibly jet lag for Dory, and it was a double underhook suplex that brought the win.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Post-match, Maurice would attack Dory and send him out the ring. Maurice would then pose for the crowd, which brought Wayne Bridges down to the ring and Jackie Pallo got in to keep everyone apart. Fans at ringside were able to hear the following.}<p> </p><p> "Wayne, Wayne, get back. Maurice, what are you doing?"</p><p> </p><p> "I'll do it again Jackie, get him back over anytime and I'll do it again."</p><p> </p><p> "Get out the ring, come on...just get out."</p><p> </p><p> {Maurice leaves the ring, with Dory looking on. Jackie shakes hands with Dory.}</p><p> </p><p> "I can only..."</p><p> </p><p> "It's okay sir, nothing you can do. We're all men here."</p><p> </p><p> {Dory gives the fans a wave from the side of the ring and then leaves.}</p><p> </p><p> "Dory Funk Junior ladies and gentlemen. Thank you too to Wayne Bridges. Wayne, I see you have your World H...ah, almost did it! Your NWA International Heavyweight championship belt."</p><p> </p><p> "Yes, yes, change of name though the same belt and the same history. Indeed Jackie, I'm going to make tonights match my first defence of the title here in the NWA UK." <strong>(D+)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA International Heavyweight (UK Version) Championship</strong></p><p> Wayne Bridges defeats Rick Wiseman</p><p> </p><p> Rick Wiseman was always going to be outmatched in this, even before the additional aspect of it being a title match. Bridges controlled the majority, but Wiseman's quick counters meant it wasn't an easy win. <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p><p> <strong>TV Rating:</strong> Less than 0.01 (hardly surprising as the event was shown in only one area of America)</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:18px;">NWA UK February Tour</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:14px;">Week 1:</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Wednesday - Huddersfield Town Hall</strong></p><p> </p><p> Ken Joyce defeats Bobby Graham by DQ <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Ray Crawley defeats Johnny Kenny 2/0 <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> Klaus Wallas defeats Diamond Shondell 2/0 <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> Ted Heath defeats Masked Emperor by IDQ 2/0 <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Mike Bennett & Johnny Eagles defeated John Quinn & Rick Wiseman <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Friday - Paisley Town Hall</strong></p><p> </p><p> Magnificent Maurice & Andy Robin defeatd Steve Taylor & Scott McGhee 2/0 <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> Jim Brunzell defeats Ken Joyce <strong>(E+)</strong></p><p> <strong>British Heavy Middleweight Championship</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco defeats Bill Ross <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> Wayne Bridges defeats Sandy Scott 2/1 <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> The Dynamite Kid defeats Rory Campbell <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Saturday - Leeds Town Hall</strong></p><p> </p><p> The Yankee Blondes defeated John Hall & Mickey Gold 2/0 <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Dave Finlay defeats Lee Thomas 2/0 <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> Jackie Robinson & Ken Joyce defeated Crusher Brannigan & Roger Wells <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> Tony St. Clair defeats Hans Streiger <strong>©</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki defeats Steve Taylor <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

<p><span style="font-size:14px;">Week 2:</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Wednesday - The Guildhall</strong></p><p> </p><p> Crusher Brannigan defeats Peter Stewart <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki & The Assassin defeated Neil Sands & Mike Bennett 2/0 <strong>©</strong></p><p> Tony St. Clair & Dave Finlay went to a time limit draw <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki won a battle royal, giving him a NWA British Heavyweight title shot next time NWAUK are at The Guildhall <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Friday - Liverpool Stadium</strong></p><p> </p><p> Steve Taylor defeats Magnificant Maurice <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> Wayne Bridges & Peter Preston defeated The Yankee Blondes 2/0 <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> <strong>British Heavy Middleweight Championship</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco defeats Rory Campbell <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> The Dynamite Kid defeats Jackie Robinson 2/1 <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C+</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Saturday - Willenhall Baths</strong></p><p> </p><p> Ted Heath defeats Bobby Graham (No DQ Match) <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> Johnny Eagles & Wayne Bridges defeated Rick Wiseman & John Kenny (Tag KO Tournament) <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> John Quinn & Klaus Wallas defeated Ray Crawley & Ray Robinson (Tag KO Tournament) <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> The Dynamite Kid defeats Scott McGhee <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> John Quinn & Klaus Wallas defeated Johnny Eagles & Wayne Bridges 2/0 (Tag KO Final) <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>A Quick Call:</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>Bob:</strong> Hi Ken, just thought I'd catch up.<p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Not a problem, I don't think there's anything major to go over. I've was contacted by Al in Canada, a few things to get finalised there including someone coming over with something to prove. Also, we've had representatives from ITV at a few of our Tour shows and talks are progressing there.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Sounds great Ken, especially the TV. Listen, what are your plans for the end of the month? Dory had a lot of good things to say, even enjoying the post-match altercation.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Yes, on that. How about Terry? I've had a few guys raising issues with Maurice, maybe I could...</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Sorry Ken, Terry currently holds four tag team belts. He's wrestling four nights a week, travelling. I just can't do it for you. I do have two ideas though. The first one, why not have an eliminator for a NWA World Junior Heavyweight title shot.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> That sounds perfect Bob, it'll be a good way to debut our new signing. What was the second thing?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Well, I know there won't be much pomp and circumstance about this. I'm also hoping things don't go pear shaped for us on it. But, how about you have the NWA World Heavyweight Champion over? Harley has been defending in the States, in Canada and Japan. He'll be in Japan most of March, so why not stop off in the UK.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Why not indeed! </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Okay, that's that settled then and I'll...oh, wait. I almost forgot about the belts.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ken:</strong> Yes, erm, I do have to say that Joint don't own them as such. The three guys came across, we waited and there was no contact or even attempts to place belts on anyone else. I'm comfortable with that and I'll present any extra requirements at the end of the month.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bob:</strong> Fair enough. Well, good luck the rest of the month and, as I say, we'll hopefully get Harley across to you.</p></div></blockquote>

<p><span style="font-size:14px;">Week 3:</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Wednesday - The Market Hall</strong></p><p> </p><p> Klaus Wallas defeats Ken Joyce <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco defats Ted Heath (KO Tournament) <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> Wayne Bridge defeats Magnificent Maurice by DQ (KO Tournament) <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> The Yankee Blondes defeated Steve Taylor & Scott McGhee <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco defeats Wayne Bridges (KO Final) 2/1 <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Friday - Cambridge Corn Exchange</strong></p><p> </p><p> Jim Brunzell defeats Roger Wells <strong>(F+)</strong></p><p> Rick Wiseman defeats Chris Bailey 2/0 <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> The Dynamite Kid won a battle royal <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki & Ian Muir defeated Mike Bennett & Iggy Borg <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Saturday - The Beach Ballroom</strong></p><p> </p><p> Crusher Brannigan defeats Andy Robin (KO Tournament) <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> John Quinn defeats Sandy Scott (KO Tournament) <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> Wayne Bridges defeats Ted Heath <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> John Quinn defeats Crusher Brannigan (KO Final) <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Tony St. Clair & Rory Campbell defeated Mark Rocco & Magnificent Maurice <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

<p><span style="font-size:14px;">Week 4:</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Wednesday - The Caird Hall</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>British Heavy Middleweight Championship</strong></p><p> Mark Rocco defeats Bill Ross <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> Rory Campbell & Steve Taylor defeated The Yankee Blondes <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Andy Robin defeats Rick Wiseman <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Hans Streiger defeats Sandy Scott <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Magnificent Maurice defeats Wayne Bridges <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C-</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/Wrestleview-2_zpscxwjm27i.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/Wrestleview-2_zpscxwjm27i.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-size:18px;">NWA UK Wrestling Spectacular, February 1980</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{The night begins with Alfred Hayes entering the ring to a great ovation.}<p> </p><p> "Thank you everyone, it's nice to know I'm not forgotten. Now, we have a very very exciting night of action for you. We'll see a number one contender earn his shot at the NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship. Usually that would make any evening of action memorable, but tonight I also have the great privilidge and honour of introducing this man as he defends his NWA World Heavyweight Championship."</p><p> </p><p> {Harley Race comes down to the ring.}</p><p> </p><p> "Harley, wow, what can I say? First time in the United Kingdom for the title."</p><p> </p><p> "First time for the belt and, yeah, first time for me too. I'm hoping to give these fans their dollars...sorry, pounds...worth."</p><p> </p><p> "Well, that's fantastic to hear. Your opponent tonight will be John Quinn, he's asked that we bring a little of North America to proceedings and make it a no disqualification match."</p><p> </p><p> "I've no problem with that, sounds like the fans have no problem with that. Okay, yeah, let's do it."</p><p> </p><p> "Wonderful! Ladies and gentlemen, Harley Race!"</p><p> </p><p> {Harley shakes Alfred's hand and leaves the ring.} <strong>(C+)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>"Next ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to bring out Tony St. Clair."<p> </p><p> {Tony appears, but Crusher Brannigan barges past and gets in to the ring ahead of him.}</p><p> </p><p> Alfred: "Crusher, it's..."</p><p> </p><p> Crusher: "I knew he'd be the next person brought out. The man who was brought in because he had a title, the man..."</p><p> </p><p> Tony: "Hold on!"</p><p> </p><p> Crusher: "No, no, I won't hold on. The man who has stolen that title he wears. The fans cheer you but you're a thief and I'm going to take that title."</p><p> </p><p> Tony: "Are you now? Well, talk is cheap and it certainly doesn't earn you a title shot. I will face you tonight you. You find a partner, I'll find a partner and we'll have ourselves a tag team match." </p><p> </p><p> {Tony shakes Alfred's hand and leaves the ring.}</p><p> </p><p> Alfred: "Well, as luck would have it our first match is a tag team match. Maybe Mr Brannigan you'd like to stay and...no, oh okay." <strong>©</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #1</strong></p><p> The Yankee Blondes defeated Steve Taylor & Scott McGhee</p><p> </p><p> McGhee was still working through the effects of a broken jaw and didn't fancy too much action. As the referee took one of many opportunities to check on McGhee, Ferris took the chance to claim the victory with a roll up and a pull of the tights.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Jackie Pallo enters the ring.}<p> </p><p> "Next up folks, I'd like to bring out the four men who will attempt to claim their shot at the NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship." </p><p> </p><p> {Rocco, Dynamite, Steve Wright and Keith Martinelli come down to the ring.}</p><p> </p><p> Jackie: "What a group of..."</p><p> </p><p> Rocco: "Give me that microphone Pallo, put your backside back in a seat. I'm, sorry, we are the stars here. Steve, Tommy, you can both get out of the ring just now. Keith, you can't have been my originally scheduled opponent. I thought you'd retired my friend, but I have all the respect in the world for you. I have this belt, that I've earned, and I want to add the NWA belt. So, let's give the fans a match to remember and then you can go on home." <strong>(C+)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA World Junior Heavyweight #1 Contender Semi-Final</strong></p><p> Keith Martinelli defeats Mark Rocco by count out</p><p> </p><p> Rocco was taken by surprise for a spell as Martinelli showed all his old ability. This didn't last too long though and, after leaving the ring to regroup, Rocco took back control of the match. Rocco was laying in to Martinelli in the corner when he noticed Magnificent Maurice make off with his British Heavy Middleweight title belt. Rocco would chase after Maurice and get himself counted out as a result.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA World Junior Heavyweight #1 Contender Semi-Final</strong></p><p> The Dynamite Kid defeats Steve Wright</p><p> </p><p> This was an excellent match, with Wright showing why he is making a name for himself in Europe. Dynamite and Wright went pretty much toe to toe for ten minutes until a vicious whip to the corner was followed up by a suplex that appeared to knock Wright silly. The finish came soon after.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Lord Alfred would get in to the ring again.}<p> </p><p> Alfred: "Next up tonight a man who is looking to make a mark and one reason why the cameras are here. We don't know much about him, but please welcome Chris Colt. Oh, haha, he's already behind me."</p><p> </p><p> Colt: "Crazy huh! That's what everyone is thinking, ooooh he's crazy looking. He's not in a pair of trunks or a those one piece things some of you guys wear. Or fall out of, hahahahahaha! Aherm, anyway...why am I here? Well Alfred, nice suit by the way, I'm here to show all you Brits eeeeeeeeeeeeverything I can do. So, erm, who's my opponent?" <strong>(C-)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #4</strong></p><p> Alan Kilby defeats Chris Colt 2-1 by DQ</p><p> </p><p> This was a strange match, Colt playing it straight for the first two falls with some fine technical wrestling and comedy work with the crowd. Alan Kilby even shook his hand and motioned for the audience to applaud him. That all ended after the second fall though, as Colt blasted away at Kilby and refused to allow him out of the corner. With the Referee attempting to pry Colt away, Colt would throw an elbow and get himself disqualified.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Post-match Colt could be heard shouting "I did say eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything! Maybe you'll see some again!" before turning and giving Kilby the middle finger.} <strong>(C-)</strong></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #5</strong></p><p> Crusher Brannigan & Magnificent Maurice defeated Tony St. Clair & Peter Stewart</p><p> </p><p> This match wasn't the longest ever, though Peter Stewart must be wishing it had been a lot shorter. Stewart was basically taken in to the opposing corner and beaten down for a good five minutes. St. Clair could do nothing, the old ladies at ringside could do nothing and Stewart was in no fit state to do anything aside from take the three count when it finally came.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Post-match, St. Clair was looking after Stewart and Brannigan would grab the ring bucket from one of the seconds. Before he could use it, his attention was grabbed by Mark Rocco coming in and clearing Maurice out of the ring. St. Clair turned to see Brannigan, who put the bucket down as Rocco entered the ring. Alfred came in to check on Peter Stewart then grabbed Rocco.}<p> </p><p> Alfred: "Mark, coming in to help Tony is commendable."</p><p> </p><p> Rocco: "Well, I came down to contront Maurice. But, that said, although we don't see eye to eye on everything and I do things differently. I do respect Tony, he's taken the reputation of British wrestling worldwide just like I have. If we end up helping each other then it's not a bad thing." <strong>(C-)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA World Junior Heavyweight #1 Contender Final</strong></p><p> The Dynamite Kid defeats Keith Martinelli </p><p> </p><p> Dynamite came out the traps all guns blazing and took Martinelli totally by surprise. There was no time or chance for Martinelli to apply any sort of submission hold to gain a rest and he would really only see the occasional brief comeback.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>{Wayne Bridges and Hans Streiger were both in the ring for the next match when George Gillette and Kendo Nagasaki made their way to the ring.}<p> </p><p> "Ladies and gentlemen, please forgive our interuption. The mystical marvel, Kendo Nagasaki, has something that he'd like me to address and then you can enjoy the upcoming match. As some of you may be aware, if you've read this evening's programme, Kendo Nagasaki won a battle royal at The Guildhall. That win sees Kendo Nagasaki earn a NWA British Heavyweight title match. But, Mister Bridges this involves you, Kendo Nagasaki would prefer a NWA International Heavyweight title match at a date and location to be decided by Mister Bridges."</p><p> </p><p> {Kendo reaches out his hand, Wayne Bridges looks to the crowd and then accepts. George and Kendo leave the ring, but wait at ringside.} <strong>(C+)</strong></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA International Heavyweight (UK) Championship</strong></p><p> Wayne Bridges defeats Hans Streiger 2/1</p><p> </p><p> Bridges and Streiger went at it hammer and tong from the start. For some strange reason, it was Streiger who seemed to spend more time gesturing to Kendo Nagasaki at ringside. With it being two out three falls, we soon saw the match slow down and Streiger took Bridges by surprise for his fall when Bridges was complaining to the Referee. Having equalised, Bridges would then go on to utilise Streiger's lack of attention to get the final fall.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #8</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki defeats Mike Bennett</p><p> </p><p> A fairly standard affair of good against evil, Bennett not quite doing enough to get the victory.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA World Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p> Harley Race defeats John Quinn</p><p> </p><p> This was a fantastic end to the evening. John Quinn took Race all the way and it was certainly better than Quinn's last high profile match in 1979...against a certain large fan favourite. Both men showed their power, whilst the technical skills weren't far away and of course there was a fair amount of brawling. Race took the victory, but there was an obvious amount of respect between both men after the three count.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>(B)</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> B-</p><p> <strong>TV Rating:</strong> 0.01</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43988" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Saturday - Sophia Gardens Pavilion</strong></p><p> </p><p> John Quinn & Klaus Wallas defeated Kamikazi & Steve Taylor <strong>©</strong></p><p> David Morgan defeated Rick Wiseman <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> Alan Kilby defeated Masked Emperor <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> Mike Bennett defeated Mark Rocco 2/0 by count out <strong>©</strong></p><p> Kendo Nagasaki defeated Rory Campbell <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Overall:</strong> C</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

Archived