<p>I have problem with understanding what is TEWs Star Quality. </p><p> </p><p>

Take a look on a Scott Steiner in WCW:</p><p>

1. As a tag team worker (Long brown hair, impressive skills, but i'm not sure i would buy him as a world champ)</p><p>

2. After he cut his hair, grow a beard, dyed them all in blond, he looked much more the star than before.</p><p> </p><p>

Did his SQ changed? Or is it something that would not be reflected in the game.</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="kesselll" data-cite="kesselll" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have problem with understanding what is TEWs Star Quality. <p> </p><p> Take a look on a Scott Steiner in WCW:</p><p> 1. As a tag team worker (Long brown hair, impressive skills, but i'm not sure i would buy him as a world champ)</p><p> 2. After he cut his hair, grow a beard, dyed them all in blond, he looked much more the star than before.</p><p> </p><p> Did his SQ changed? Or is it something that would not be reflected in the game.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well when he went to WWE some people wanted to put the World Title on him so he probably had a good amount of SQ. Bulking up in the late 90's probably boosted his SQ to an elite level.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="rtandtuk" data-cite="rtandtuk" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think Star Quality should fluctuate on more than whether a guy bulks up his physique, as Stone Cold was in better physical shape as Stunning Steve, yet wasn't seen as valuable in WCW. It was only when he became Stone Cold that he really took off, so maybe a red-hot gimmick should play a part in Star Quality increasing.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't think so. A gimmick is separate from SQ, and one can be successful/high while the other is unsuccessful/low.</p><p> </p><p> In terms of crowd responses, Daniel Bryan made the WWE audience pop louder, longer (on the night) and longer (in terms of months, years etc.) than anyone since Rock and Stone Cold. No-one, not Batista, Cena, Undertaker, HHH, Goldberg, Jericho... in the intervening 10 years made the fans react like him.</p><p> </p><p> His gimmick - anti-authoritarian, underdog, everyday guy - and opposition - HHH, Stephanie, Randy Orton as the evil, unfeeling, corporate, patronising, vindictive villains - clicked, plus even the casual fan could see that in-ring the guy gave his all and put on entertaining matches.</p><p> </p><p> Not one jot of that affected his Star Quality; Daniel Bryan is likeable, genuine and pretty charismatic, but ask the average person in the street who the star is between him and Dolph Ziggler, or Bobby Roode, or Shinsuke Nakamura... Well, he's not unlikely to be high on the list.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Poputt" data-cite="Poputt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> I (and probably way more people thanks to the tweaked National Battle mechanic which suddenly made SQ a make-or-break stat) would probably prefer if SQ was removed, made less important, or turned into some hidden destiny roll value or some such thing, but for now it's in the game and it does have value, so it's worth discussing I think.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I definitely agree that it's worth discussing. Hell, even if it wasn't worth it, it's been an interesting discussion anyway. I don't like the NB aspect of it, and I also don't like the fact that it has an effect on Pop Cap. (Unless I'm wrong about that.) I don't mind the hidden destiny roll, because it's random. Any of these games is just an extended What If? comic, especially the diaries that start with a specific premise. What If Stone Cold's career ended right after the Screwjob? What If The Invasion were done right? The destiny roll just extends that concept on an individual level. But SQ is kind of a hardwired hindrance/bonus to a character that, as it stands now, runs counter to some of the game's core values.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TeflonBilly" data-cite="TeflonBilly" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I definitely agree that it's worth discussing. Hell, even if it wasn't worth it, it's been an interesting discussion anyway. I don't like the NB aspect of it, and I also don't like the fact that it has an effect on Pop Cap. (Unless I'm wrong about that.) I don't mind the hidden destiny roll, because it's random. Any of these games is just an extended What If? comic, especially the diaries that start with a specific premise. What If Stone Cold's career ended right after the Screwjob? What If The Invasion were done right? The destiny roll just extends that concept on an individual level. But SQ is kind of a hardwired hindrance/bonus to a character that, as it stands now, runs counter to some of the game's core values.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This is my take on it</p><p> </p><p> wrestling is all about star quality. Ok to the die hard fans it not, but for the rest of the people that watch it, those people who watch it now and again and even the ones that don't watch it and are potential fans, it is all about star quality.</p><p> </p><p> you look at people like hulk hogan, Andre the giant, ultimate warrior, Yokozuna, lex Luger, big show, Kane, undertaker in his earlier years, sid vicious and many many more. These weren't proper wrestlers, they would probably lose to many non pro wrestlers in a shoot fight, but what they had was star quality (some more than others) why put these guys in the ring? Why put the belt on them if they aren't very good in ring? It's because they had star quality that the other didn't have. Don't get me wrong some of them got better and had decent psychology.</p><p> </p><p> If it wasn't for star quality then you have seen people such as mr perfect (who I would have liked to see) Ricky steamboat, Owen hart and many more better workers in the ring hold the title. </p><p> </p><p> Star quality is in real life what held these back from becoming too, top stars.</p><p> </p><p> In terms of the game if a mod is done right, star quality means you may end up with someone who can only put on good matches with good workers, that's what makes it hard and in real life that's what tended to happen a lot.</p><p> </p><p> Owen hart v mr perfect for the title in a 6 month long feud ending as main event at wrestlemania wouldn't sell. Hulk hogan or Yokozuna did. </p><p> </p><p> Its the same with a hell of a lot of sports. The people with star quality draws in the fans and become the most famous. Only difference is in other sports they don't always become champions because it's not scripted</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="marsupial311" data-cite="marsupial311" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well when he went to WWE some people wanted to put the World Title on him so he probably had a good amount of SQ. Bulking up in the late 90's probably boosted his SQ to an elite level.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Exactly this.</p><p> </p><p> In tew Scott Steiner would have decent star quality and somebody who you look at and think he's a decent worker and has decent star quality.</p><p> </p><p> Once he bulked up this would raise his star quality.</p><p> </p><p> Once he changed his gimmick and had much more mic time this would have given him the opportunity to reach his potential and show his star quality.</p>

Instead of making Star quality its own entity, it should be an aggregate where certain things can all add to it. Charisma, mic skills, comedic value, menace, sex appeal, size, credibility, flashiness. Things like that could all play into that intangible "star quality." It might throw the star rating off for some guys, but at least we wouldn't have to try and define something that is virtually undefinable, you just work from those individual numbers, and you should get a strong star quality for guys that score really high in those particulars.

Archived