Billy Corgan’s NWA: A Stingers tale

September

"New Beginnings"

Business meeting’s notes: 15th September 2017

In attendance: Billy Corgan, Dave Lagana and Sting

-Corgan welcomes Sting aboard the creative team as head booker.

-Corgan outlines his goals for the company:

Official takeover on NWA starts on October 1st a distribution deal and small roster needs to be in place by then.

We are at War with GFW and must be more popular and have a higher viewership than them within a year.

We are not hiring anyone that works unsafe in the ring, has law problems or is a luchador style as NWA will be portrayed in an old school 80s style.

-Lagana discusses the touring schedule which has been pitched to youtube red. We will be featuring a country wide grand prix style tournament similar to New Japan’s G1 to crown the first champion.

-Sting raises concerns about only three of them making up the creative team and suggests bringing in Jim Cornette as he is close to walking out of GFW. Corgan agrees for Sting to offer Cornette a job.

-An announce team is discussed. The team agree on Sting's decision to look for more sports than wrestling based announcers to relive the realistic style of the early 80s NWA.

-The talent discussed: Aron Rex, Austin Aries, D’angelo Dinero, MVP, Matt Morgan and RVD. Corgan is keen to pick up talents GFW has dropped or missed out on. Sting will send contracts out.

-Sting will scout more talent for the next meeting and bring in Cornette.

-Lagana and Corgan will finalise distribution and branding.

Phone Call: 16th September 2017

In attendance: Sting and Jim Cornette

Sting: Jim, Let me get straight to it, me and Billy Corgan would like to join the creative team for NWA’s rerun.

Cornette: I’d be interested to see what you’ve got planned down there. Send me over the contract details you got ready and i’ll take a look. GFW have offered to extend my stay here in Orlando.

Sting: Thought you were out of their Jim.

Cornette: I am if you can do better than fifteen hundred per show.

Sting: Billy has already sent over an offer. Let me know Jim.

Talent Scout Meeting’s notes: 20th September 2017

In attendance: Billy Corgan and Sting

-Sting explains Aron Rex, Austin Aries and RVD all turned him down. Morgan was quick to sign, and Charlie Haas phoned asking to get involved.

-Corgan gives sting a list of GFW talent to approach which include: Eli Drake, EC3, James Storm and Crimson.

-Sting has a list of forgotten talent worth contacting: Jimmy Rave, Alex Riley, Lance Storm and Nick Dinsmore.

-Sting explains his plans for a commentary team of Josh Barnett and Chael Sonnen. Sonnen has already agreed term but GFW are also interested in Barnett. Sting has also contacted Mike Tenay about joining at play by play.

-Sting pitches the idea of working alongside ROH so that NWA can borrow talent such as Bully Ray, Christopher Daniels, Jay Lethal, Cody Rhodes and more.

-Sting announces local Texas boys that have been hired to bulk up the roster: Desean Pratt, Keith Lee, Ken Carson, Mike Dell, Mitch Carter And Tim Storm.

Business Meeting’s notes: 26th of September 2017

In attendance: Billy Corgan, Dave Lagana, Jim Cornette and Sting

-Cornette is angry Colt Cabana was signed without his consent and refuses to work with Colt going forward.

-Lagana explains the layout of the next tour, one show a week leading to the NWA Championship Grand Prix finales. A 8 man single elimination tournament made up of 8 out of the 20 on the roster that get the most wins over the next two months. Everything to be shown on Youtube Red.

-Corgan announces ROH have agreed to talent share and help promote each other’s tour dates.

-Announce deal is finalised with Mike Tenay joining Chael Sonnen. Agreed this is a test and might be changed out for the next tour.

-Sting announces the roster of 20. The roster pushes are then agreed upon:

Faces

Charlie Haas/upper midcard/Wrestling Machine

Colt Cabana/upper midcard/Fearless Idiot

Desean Pratt/midcard/Fan Favourite

Jack Swagger/upper midcard/Patriot

MVP/main event/Black Charisma

Matt Morgan/main event/Underground fighter

Mitch Carter/opener/Clean Cut

Nick Dinsmore/midcard/Fearless Idiot

Tim Storm/lower midcard/Lunatic

Heels

Bully Ray/main event/Bad Ass

Crimson/lower midcard/The Future

D’Angelo Dinero/midcard/Prima Donna

Eli Drake/upper midcard/Old School Heel

Jimmy Rave/lower midcard/Cocky

Keith Lee/midcard/Bad Ass

Ken Carson/opener/Show Stealer

Kevin Kiley/lower midcard/Opportunist

Lance Storm/occasional/Bitter Veteran

Magnus/main event/Nature Boy Jr

Mike Dell/lower midcard/Arrogant Hell

-Booking the tournament: the 8 men planned for the finale are Charlie Haas, Jack Swagger, MVP, Matt Morgan, Bully Ray, D’angelo Dinero, Eli Drake and Magnus. The champion can not be decided upon yet. Corgan wants someone strong and loyal who won’t go to GFW or NXT in the next year, will work full time for us not shared with ROH. For a face Matt Morgan and for a heel Magnus have been penciled in. The tour will be booking them strong but if another work natural works out plans will change.

-Sting plans three storylines with one being featured each night of the tour. The first is simmering tension between Magnus in his Nature Boy jr gimmick vs the management (Corgan and Sting). Matt Morgan vs Bully Ray, we will feature vignettes of Morgan that Ray will take offense to. Finally Kevin Kiley vs Charlie Haas which will lead towards a texas civil war involving other members of the roster which Jim Cornette slowly gets involved in as well. Lagana will start writing up the stories.

Phone Call: 30th September 2017

In attendance: Sting and Jim Cornette

Cornette: I’m telling you, Rhodes in the hottest thing going right now. I know we need nice round numbers on the tournament but we need to get this kid on our product.

Sting: Corgan doesn’t want to hire anyone else for this tour. But you're right man.

Cornette: The whole world is watching him, let's get the world watching him in our ring.

Sting: We’ll have to do it through ROH, he’s there champ. We don’t want to upset them.

Cornette: For the sake of this business, make it happen Sting!

Good stuff! I'll definitely be following along with this one. A lot of good choices for the first champ, Morgan and Magnus are strong, as well as Charlie Haas and Jack Swagger. On the heel side, I've always been a Crimson fan, and Eli Drake is definitely growing on me. He's got good charisma. Looking forward to see where you go with this.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:14px;">October</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:14px;">

“Championship Grand Prix Tour”</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Phone Call: 4th of October 2017</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><em>In attendance: Sting and EC3</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

EC3: Thanks for returning my call. I’ll be all healed up in about two weeks.</p><p>

Sting: Be great to have you join us. I’m having a problem getting Corgan to agree to signings this month. He wants to stay at a roster of twenty during the tournament.</p><p>

EC3: I don’t really want to return to GFW and you're the only person asking about me. </p><p>

Sting: Let’s see if can work something out, keep it with me.</p><p>

EC3: Good. Look forward to checking out your first show.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>NWA Championship Grand Prix Night 1 - Houston, Texas: 15th of October 2017</strong></p><p>

<em>Key: </em><em><span style="color:#FF0000;">Loser</span></em><em> </em><em><span style="color:#00FF00;">Winner</span></em><em> (Tournament Points)</em></p><p> </p><p>

-Live band plays as Tenay and Sonnen open the show.</p><p>

-Opens with Billy Corgan coming to the ring unveiling the Corgan era NWA World Heavyweight belt. Explains the tournament format: 2 months of matches, 3 points for a win and -1 point for a loss. 8 men with the most points come December the 2nd will enter a one night single elimination tournament to become the champion. </p><p>

-Opening match: <span style="color:#FF0000;">Colt Cabana(-1)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Lance Storm (3</span>) - planned to tear the house down to show the audience what NWA is about. </p><p>

-2nd match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Crimson (3) & Eli Drake (3)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Tim Storm (-1) & Mitch Carter (-1)</span></p><p>

-3rd match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">MVP (3)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">D’Angelo Dinero (-1)</span> - these two will brawl outside the ring and hit a high spot finish to pump up the crowd.</p><p>

-Matt Morgan underground fighter return to wrestling vignette.</p><p>

-4th match - <span style="color:#FF0000;">Desean Pratt (-1)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Magnus (3)</span> - squash match making Magnus look strong.</p><p>

-5th match - <span style="color:#FF0000;">Ken Carson (-1)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Jack Swagger (3)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Jimmy Rave (-1)</span></p><p>

-Main Event: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Charlie Haas (3)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Kevin Kiley (-1)</span> - long match making them both look strong, Kiley tries to cheat many times annoying Haas into a bump finish win.</p><p>

-Kiley beats down Haas until bloody,</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Meeting Notes: 17th of October 2017</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><em>In attendance: Billy Corgan, Dave Lagana, Jim Cornette and Sting</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-Cornette fined Jimmy Rave his pay for the last show due to turning up late.</p><p>

-Sting announces the possibility of stealing EC3 away from GFW but needs to act fast. Corgan agrees to signing him and working EC3 into storylines later in the tour.</p><p>

-Cornette argues for hiring Cody Rhodes. Corgan refuses to sign anyone else unless they are jumping ship from GFW. However wants to keep hiring Rhodes an option for the next tour. </p><p>

-Lagana reports wrestling observer rated the previous show 58/100 and it drew 140,010 viewers. The rest of the tour will be taped and edited for Youtube Red the next live show will be the tournament finale.</p><p>

-Cornette mentions the buzz on the internet around Morgan’s gimmick and vignette he needs to be handled properly.</p><p>

-Sting wants to push Charlie Haas as he had the performance of the night. He’ll work with someone just as experienced on the next show.</p><p>

-Corgan lets the team know Dutch Mantel is retiring, he wants to keep an eye out for anyone GFW might replace him with and be the first to offer a contract. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Phone Call: 18th of October 2017</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><em>In attendance: Sting and Jim Cornette</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

Cornette: Why are we signing EC3 and taking a pass on the Rhodes. What are you and Corgan thinking?</p><p>

Sting: I want both in our ring Jim. Corgan is under pressure with the bank and sponsors…</p><p>

Cornette: So we’re struggling for money?! What else are you guys not telling me!</p><p>

Sting: Not at all, you know everything man. I knew Corgan will jump on stealing EC3 and Rhodes is not going anywhere exclusively anytime soon. </p><p>

Cornette: I’m going to start talking to Rhodes about bringing him in on our next tour.</p><p>

Sting: Don’t promise anything we can’t deliver Jim.</p><p>

Cornette: Well if you and Corgan opened up to me more i won’t. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>NWA Championship Grand Prix Night 2 - Amarillo, Texas: 22nd of October 2017</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><em>Key: </em></strong><strong><em><span style="color:#FF0000;">Loser</span></em></strong><strong><em> </em></strong><strong><em><span style="color:#00FF00;">Winner</span></em></strong><strong><em> (Tournament Points)</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-Opening match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Jack Swagger (6)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Mike Dell (-1)</span></p><p>

-Matt Morgan underground fighter return to wrestling vignette 2.</p><p>

-2nd match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Crimson (6)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Desean Pratt (-2)</span></p><p>

-3rd match: <span style="color:#FF0000;">MVP (2) & Colt Cabana (-2) & Nick Dinsmore (-1)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">D’Angelo Dinero (2) & Eli Drake (6) & Kevin Kiley (2)</span> - Drake get the pin over Dinsmore after a long match where everyone gets to hit a spot.</p><p>

-4th match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Charlie Haas (6)</span> vs<span style="color:#FF0000;"> Lance Storm (2)</span> - aim for match of the night</p><p>

-5th match: <span style="color:#FF0000;">Mitch Carter (-2)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Magnus (6)</span> - Magnus squashes Carter</p><p>

-Bull Ray on the mic on his way to the ring shouting about how biased the Mat Morgan videos are. And will show Morgan who the real bad ass in NWA is.</p><p>

-Main Event: Bully Ray (0) vs Matt Morgan (0) - ends in a double count out after a long heated brawl through the crowd</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Meeting Notes: 25th of October 2017</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><em>In attendance: Billy Corgan, Dave Lagana, Jim Cornette and Sting</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-Lagana announces the Wrestling Observer scored the show 60/100. Highlights are being edited for Youtube Red.</p><p>

-Corgan wants to better use MVP on the shows as he is one of the promotion biggest draws. The team come up with a fourth story line against Crimson that will grow much slower than the current main storylines. </p><p>

-They phone Crimson who is willing to take a stunt bump on the next show.</p><p>

-Lagana wants to hire a manager that can talk for several of the wrestlers. Sting wants it to be Cornette who agrees if another road agent is brought into ease up his backstage workload.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>NWA Championship Grand Prix Night 3 - Austin, Texas: 29th of October 2017</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><em>Key: </em></strong><strong><em><span style="color:#FF0000;">Loser</span></em></strong><strong><em> </em></strong><strong><em><span style="color:#00FF00;">Winner</span></em></strong><strong><em> (Tournament Points)</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-Opening match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Magnus (9)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Tim Storm (-2)</span> - Squash match</p><p>

-Magnus demands better competition, comparing himself to the greatness of Ric Flair which annoys Sting who offers another match later tonight.</p><p>

-2nd match: <span style="color:#FF0000;">Jimmy Rave (-2)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Colt Cabana (1)</span></p><p>

-3rd match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Kevin Kiley (5)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Jack Swagger (-5)</span> </p><p>

-Kiley demands a rematch with Haas. </p><p>

-4th match: <span style="color:#FF0000;">MVP (1) </span>vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Crimson (5)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Eli Drake (9)</span> vs<span style="color:#FF0000;"> Desean Pratt (-3)</span> - Drake wins a slugfest over Pratt after MVP ‘accidentally’ puts Crimson through the announcer's table.</p><p>

-The 3rd Morgan vignette, followed by a comical public announcement broadcast from Bully to ignore the BS. </p><p>

-5th Match: <span style="color:#00FF00;">Bully Ray (3)</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Nick Dinsmore (-2)</span> - an exciting wild brawl around the ringside</p><p>

-Main Event: <span style="color:#FF0000;">D’angelo Dinero (1)</span> vs <span style="color:#00FF00;">Magnus (12)</span> - aim to steal the show</p>

Archived