Has anyone ever split their Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight divisions? One time I made Heavyweight in 206-235 and Super Heavyweight in 236+.

I didn't get to experiment far with it. But I just felt like that 60lb weight difference can be too much. And it could give a chance to have two good prestigious championships because Heavyweight is considered the best in many sports.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Shade Sigma" data-cite="Shade Sigma" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45567" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Has anyone ever split their Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight divisions? One time I made Heavyweight in 206-235 and Super Heavyweight in 236+.<p> I didn't get to experiment far with it. But I just felt like that 60lb weight difference can be too much. And it could give a chance to have two good prestigious championships because Heavyweight is considered the best in many sports.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have thought about it in the past. Because like you said, some of the heavier heavyweights should probably not be fighting against someone who only weighs in the 206 to 230 range.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Shade Sigma" data-cite="Shade Sigma" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45567" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's what I've been saying. In the early years I'd see some 206-215s cruise with guys at 230-260. But in the later years the heavier guys started to dominate and some of my project lighter HWs weren't prospering.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This has been an ongoing real-life debate for years. The simple fact of the matter is that - historically speaking - the "lower weight" heavyweights have always been the best in the division. The heavier you get within the HW division, you begin reaching a point of diminishing returns. Take a look at the HW championship history in any of the past or present major MMA promotions. The vast majority of the champions are/were under 250 lbs. More specifically, most are/were around 230 lbs.</p><p> </p><p> What you're proposing makes perfect sense from a logical standpoint. However, it's one of those propositions that works far better in theory than it does in practice.</p><p> </p><p> Just some food for thought. I'm interested in hearing how such a splitting of the division would play out in a simulation. Post the results if you proceed further with it!</p><p> </p><p> JA</p>

The fact that you can question real life decisions and make your own rules is one of the charms of the game.

Of course it is. I was only shedding some real-life insight to the situation, that's all. I think what the OP is proposing is interesting and I look forward to the results.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I did 5he experiment but I deleted the game because of just personal reasons. I wanted to start over clean and try to do what I did in WMMA3, start from 100K and build there.</p><p>

The results were more like I thought. The 206lb-235lb worked but it was still odd having SHW at 236+. The guys who weighed lighter in the SHW division faired better than the 270+lb guys. But companies like ALPHA and GAMMA took almost every HW they thought they could farm and that put a damper on things.</p><p> </p><p>

So what I'm doing is adding another weight class. 186-205 will be a Cruiserweight or something like that. 206-235 will be Light Heavyweight. 236-265 is Heavyweight. 266+ is Super Heavyweight. This will also give some guys a better career I think. LHW and HW will be hell of competitive I think.</p>

As I'm starting off with my new method. I have run into a different scenario. Since I moved HW to 236-265, I'm having a little trouble controlling where I employ a fighter to. It seems like since Heavyweight is naturally linked in at 206-265, the fight where they are comfortable in. Which makes sense but I can't sign fighters exclusively to one of my weight classes. But this still gives some HWs some time to shine.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Shade Sigma" data-cite="Shade Sigma" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45567" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> And it could give a chance to have two good prestigious championships because Heavyweight is considered the best in many sports.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's not true in MMA though. If you asked most MMA fans who the best fighter ever was, You'd probably end up with Fedor, Jones, Silva and GSP of which only one is a heavyweight. Even if you expanded it to 10, You'd still probably only have one. Couture or Cormier might get mentioned but they were primarily light heavyweights.</p><p> </p><p> Heavyweight MMA kind of sucks.</p>

<p>In MMA and in boxing the Heavyweight is always the most prestigious prize. I mean not in terms of the division itself but the fighters. Muhammad Ali and Tyson are legends. And while Sugar Ray Leonard was great, he's not looked at the same as Tyson and Ali.</p><p>

Same thing with McGregor or even Mighty Mouse. They are great but not looked at the same as Fedor, Jon Jones (before), Lidell, Anderson. </p><p>

Even in the Rocky Balboa movies. All those fighters were Heavyweights. Its just different.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="eze49ers" data-cite="eze49ers" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45567" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I split the division with HW 206-240, SHW 241- 300. Lets guys like Brock come in a lot heavier</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That actually doesn't sound too bad. Only one weight change. My SHW will be just 241+ though.</p>

Archived