The Ring of Fire Discussion Thread

"Hashasheen, ROF has been dead since TEW2010. Dead and buried. They killed it! Stick a fork in it! It's done!"

I know, I know. But nobody can deny the allure and popularity that Ring of Fire did, with their incredible core roster of guys, the challenging financial terms, the unique technical style...

I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it.

Certainly, many of their talents have gone onto greater fortune with the likes of 21CW, SNP, UEW and elsewhere since TEW2010. But while the MOSC gap has been filled in the British Isles incredibly by the likes of the millions-having SNP, we've still not had a replacement for the long-lamented ROF. A future TEW might still be a few years away (rightfully so, I think there's still a lot left in this engine!), but I still wanted to see what we could come up with, in terms of a "2016 ROF roster".

Obviously, there's the old regulars. Henderson and Robinson are about, as are O'Curle and Svensson. Morgan and Samurai could do some good work in the undercard as semi-active wrestlers. There's more than a few late-ROF scrubs around who haven't found work, but might be better suited to the likes of a HIW product instead.

But what about new names? The DuPont brothers scream ROF to me, as does Irwin Gutman of the Tiger Sleeper. Some Japanese young lions on excursion could fit in easily. Barry Griffin and JD Morgan, back from America to set matters right? Some American or Canadian wrestlers, trying their luck overseas ala Joss Thompson?

Or maybe we could go a different route, and try to retry Ring of Fire with a women's only perspective? We'd need a lot more women in the British Isles and Europe, that's for certain. But there's something about a women's technical wrestling promotion that I don't think's ever been really explored in CVERSE yet...

Anyway, your thoughts? Any good memories of old ROF games? Your favorite old-school ROF dynasty?

<p>Kinda stumbled into a ROF game. Was playing an RTG game with the 1997 data and ended up as the booker (my user characters stats are woeful for the product)</p><p> </p><p>

One year in and it's turning out to be an amazing game, probably one of my all time favourites.</p><p> </p><p>

Main event scene is made up of</p><p> </p><p>

Dark Angel</p><p>

Leo Price</p><p>

Bryan Holmes</p><p>

Bert Handover</p><p>

Danny Patterson</p><p> </p><p>

With the likes of Stig Svensson (aka Captain Hero) Rolling Johnny Stones, Stevie Stoat, Yashukiro Taira and Geordie Jimmy Morris rounding out the division</p><p> </p><p>

Also created a Velocity title for middleweights and below which is currently held by Walter Morgan who has been tearing it up alongside UK Dragon, Jack Griffith's and the "Slovenian Savage" Udo Moslowski</p><p> </p><p>

I'm running the promotion a bit like an early version UFC (one or two interviews a show, a couple of gym themed stables etc), while also taking account of weight classes - only the best of the best lightweight wrestlers will defeat a heavyweight.</p><p> </p><p>

Been using win/loss records and rankings to determine challengers which has made it really easy to book matches & set up rivalries.</p>

I used the freeware TEW05 to learn the ropes before investing in TEW16 and ROF was the first promotion after a long time I finally got right, making a profit and growing steady. Rolling Johnny Stones was my main man, feuding with Keith Adams due to their chemistry. I'd brought in Hitomaro Suzuki from Japan too and he was tearing it up. Was so sad to see them go out of business, but that's what mods are for. My current RtG save in a CVerse 97 game has turned into a Local to Global thing as I fell in love with my starting promotion in Europe but we still have a talent trade agreement with ROF for old times sake and even managed to drive 21CW out of business shortly after their creation.

<p>I've always thought Championship Wrestling From Wigan was the natural successor to the ROF tradition, but looking at the bio, they may be too conservative. </p><p> </p><p>

SNP employs a lot of ROF dojo graduates and a couple former wrestlers. They've "cornered the market" in some ways on the former ROF talent pool, and it'll be difficult to build a true successor without this talent. </p><p> </p><p>

I would like to see another old-school "catch" style company at some point rise in the British Isles, but I don't feel they are a true successor.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sheepy" data-cite="sheepy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45711" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Kinda stumbled into a ROF game. Was playing an RTG game with the 1997 data and ended up as the booker (my user characters stats are woeful for the product)</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Very interesting. Were you using a touring style or regular style? I feel like touring fits ROF very well. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="DarK_RaideR" data-cite="DarK_RaideR" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45711" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I used the freeware TEW05 to learn the ropes before investing in TEW16 and ROF was the first promotion after a long time I finally got right, making a profit and growing steady. Rolling Johnny Stones was my main man, feuding with Keith Adams due to their chemistry. I'd brought in Hitomaro Suzuki from Japan too and he was tearing it up. Was so sad to see them go out of business, but that's what mods are for. My current RtG save in a CVerse 97 game has turned into a Local to Global thing as I fell in love with my starting promotion in Europe but we still have a talent trade agreement with ROF for old times sake and even managed to drive 21CW out of business shortly after their creation.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Killing 21CW is never wrong. ROF has the potential to be a big thing in 97 British Isles, with no one but MOSC around to claim talent. A lot of young guys right there for the taking in 1997, IMO. And yeah, Suzuki has always been great. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="KnowYourEnemy" data-cite="KnowYourEnemy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45711" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've always thought Championship Wrestling From Wigan was the natural successor to the ROF tradition, but looking at the bio, they may be too conservative. </div></blockquote> CWW makes a lot of sense for next generation. I think you can have Leo Price and Walter Morgan (aka the Wigan Bulldogs) holding the company up, with guys like Nigel Svensson headlining. We'd need a lot more technical hands, though. The Dojos in C-Verse don't turn out enough guys, and we have so many guys in Japan and Australia who never get work at all. <p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45711" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>SNP employs a lot of ROF dojo graduates and a couple former wrestlers. They've "cornered the market" in some ways on the former ROF talent pool, and it'll be difficult to build a true successor without this talent. </div></blockquote> Yeah, SAISHO, SNPW and UEW have pretty much taken all the good hands. HIW setting up would eat the remaining cruiserweights, too.

Archived