EWR Has Become a Reality

Okay, so this isn't a TEW thread, per se. This may belong in the Dog Pound, and if mods feel that way, by all means, transfer the thread.

But this is something me and a friend of mine have been joking about for a few years now. My friend was an avid EWR player back in the day, just like me.

Back in the day, there was a trend in different forums with EWR diaries that diaries that were deemed too unrealistic were frowned upon.

"Too unrealistic" would be things such as Bryan Danielson headlining WrestleMania. It would be things like CM Punk becoming WWE Champion. It was deemed "too unrealistic" to have a match like AJ Styles vs. Samoe Joe to be the WWE title match at a PPV like SummerSlam.

Come on, that would never happen in real life.

Has anyone else thought of this? In celebration of the good old days of EWR (and TEW, for that matter) throw out some examples of your "unrealistic" booking that has since become a reality. :)

Back on EWR I was always about rushing the 'real' (read: indy) talent to the top. I knew the tricks to make a feud score big every time, and could have the likes of AJ and Joe main eventing inside two months, three at most.

But doing that always meant too little space on the shows for workers like Rock and Mick Foley, so I'd stick them on commentary to keep them happy. Fast forward a few years and, yes, Mick Foley wound up on commentary for WWE. Different circumstances, but still made me smile.

But I started and restarted way, way too many games as WWE or TNA or random indy fed #493 to remember all that many details - I haven't touched EWR since TEW2005 came out, and I haven't played a modern real world mod on TEW since about 2007. I suspect if I did, I'd just be booking all the indy kids to smash Brock and Roman again, just like they did Rock and Brock back in 2003...

I never really played as WWE in these games as I like the challenge of building up a company. However, I am a huge nerd and have a close friend that we both would sort of fantasy book ideas. We would at every wrestlemania come up with 2 cards for the following year. 1 card which was a way too early prediction of what would happen next year, and another card that we could fantasy book, the rules being that it had to have a slight chance of actually happening. More of like a what should WWE do. We would always check out our ideas from last year and see how close WWE actaully came to it. My friend actually did predict Bryan over HHH at mania, although his version was for the title and the main event, not just being the opening match for a chance to enter the main event, still was quite impressive.

I also fantasy booked Styles wrestling somoene at mania and he actually had his debut the following year.

Theres been so many crazy things the past few years that I would have never though could happen in real life. I honestly thought I would never see the hardys make a comeback. Never thought I would ever see Kevin Steen (owens), Sami Zayn, Styles, Samoa Joe, or Finn Balor in the WWE.

Styles is the biggest shock/unrealistic. I would have bet my life savings on the fact that he would have stayed with TNA until he retired or they went out of buisness (which honestly, how are they still around?)

<p>I never played EWR but pretty much everything that was said I said. I remember being at Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuinness' second to last show in ROH and I turned to my friend and said, "Yeah both of these guys will be back in ROH within a year." Now I was not far off with Nigel but there is noway I would have thought Bryan would go as far as he has gone.</p><p> </p><p>

I only saw ROH sporadically back then so I did not know much about him. I knew he was a great worker but I was falsely under the impression that he was not great on the microphone. I thought with his body type and the fact that I he was not good on the mic (once again I only had a limited sample size of his interviews) he would be at the bottom of the card or maybe get a Tag Team Championship run or at best an IC run and that would be all.</p><p> </p><p>

I always thought AJ Styles and Samoe Joe would be in TNA. I did not believe that the WWE would know how to use them the right way. Once again I was wrong...well I mean Joe has not been lighting the world on fire but he has been good. AJ has just had a, pardon the pun, phenomenal run thus far. </p><p> </p><p>

Which once again I would have never thought would happen. Mainly because he was not a Vince creation, he is not a hulking heavyweight, and he was already a star before coming to the WWE. I thought Vice would have him buried due to all of those things.</p><p> </p><p>

The one that I have been shocked did not become a star is Apollo Crews. I remember seeing him on, I believe it was, a Dragon Gate and the guy just had "it". He connected with the crowd right away and this was a Boston crowd who was crapping on everything all night. The fans went nuts for him. </p><p> </p><p>

I now watch him in the WWE and I wonder, "What the hell happened to him."</p>

I first learned of him under his old nah Uhaa Nation in a Real World Mod for TEW. I then saw him live when I went to wrestlemania and the Raw the night after. I think he fought tyler breeze in his raw debut. I remember seeing him and thinking he was awesome. Crowed loved him. He did alot of power moves and again, not positive, but I believe he won with a standing moonsault. It was some high flyer move you wouldnt expect a giant power guy to do. I thought he was going to get a monster push and be fighting for the world title within a year. No idea what the hell happened with that. I honestly think people would love him much more as a champ than Roman Reigns. Crews built up properly vs Brock Lesnar would have been an awesome match to headline mania.

Archived