What's Best For Company vs What's Best For Fun?

Ran into a bit of a strange problem in one of my games, curious for some opinions.

Advanced to Cult (game is C-Verse and I'm in 2020), I've gotta compete with USPW, SWF, and TCW for production values. Rather than get dinged every show, I just upped everything to the max. I've been losing about 100-200k every month, which gives me about 2 years to gain enough pop to turn that around before I'm out of money.

Recently, I came up to the Rip Chord Invitational, which I have every February. This year, due to roster bloat, I held a second monthly event that was just an RCI qualifier. After running both shows in the month, I noticed that my monthly expenses weren't much worse (I still lost money, but 40k less than I lost the previous month). Looking closely at the production stuff, I realized that at the high levels, it's almost all monthly cost and very little per show cost.

As such, more shows will logically equal more revenue, so the next logical place to go would be adding a weekly tv show. That said, I tend to really dislike booking/playing when the game moves so much more slowly when I'm booking weekly tv. So the question below is really what I'm thinking about.

tl;dr: Given the choice, would you do the thing that's best for your company, even if it makes the play less enjoyable? Or would you keep doing what you're doing, even though your company is losing money, and just use the editor to keep the company afloat?

Also, have you ever run into similar situations where you had to pick between what's best for your company and the way you most enjoy playing?

<p>Really, you probably need a TV show at Cult to retain popularity in multiple regions. If you reach National, would you consider adding one then?</p><p> </p><p>

However, if you don’t want to go that route, I’d downgrade the production values until you’re ready.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rayelek" data-cite="Rayelek" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ran into a bit of a strange problem in one of my games, curious for some opinions.<p> </p><p> Advanced to Cult (game is C-Verse and I'm in 2020), I've gotta compete with USPW, SWF, and TCW for production values. Rather than get dinged every show, I just upped everything to the max. I've been losing about 100-200k every month, which gives me about 2 years to gain enough pop to turn that around before I'm out of money.</p><p> </p><p> Recently, I came up to the Rip Chord Invitational, which I have every February. This year, due to roster bloat, I held a second monthly event that was just an RCI qualifier. After running both shows in the month, I noticed that my monthly expenses weren't much worse (I still lost money, but 40k less than I lost the previous month). Looking closely at the production stuff, I realized that at the high levels, it's almost all monthly cost and very little per show cost.</p><p> </p><p> As such, more shows will logically equal more revenue, so the next logical place to go would be adding a weekly tv show. That said, I tend to really dislike booking/playing when the game moves so much more slowly when I'm booking weekly tv. So the question below is really what I'm thinking about.</p><p> </p><p> tl;dr: Given the choice, would you do the thing that's best for your company, even if it makes the play less enjoyable? Or would you keep doing what you're doing, even though your company is losing money, and just use the editor to keep the company afloat?</p><p> </p><p> Also, have you ever run into similar situations where you had to pick between what's best for your company and the way you most enjoy playing?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Llama is right. If you aren't willing to have more shows, then just take grade hit for the production values. Editor never really needed to come into consideration here :| However, if you basically don't want to deal with that hassle and you are pushed to the point of wanting to use the editor, you might as well just turn off production effects in preferences and then you won't get penalized at all. </p><p> </p><p> But my answer personally is always -> fun for me. But that usually ends up being me accepting underwhelming grades instead of me turning off certain preferences and the like. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LlamaSquad" data-cite="LlamaSquad" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Really, you probably need a TV show at Cult to retain popularity in multiple regions. If you reach National, would you consider adding one then?<p> </p><p> However, if you don’t want to go that route, I’d downgrade the production values until you’re ready.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If his events are on a broadcaster, he probably doesn't need a TV show.</p>

Archived