Mod Making

I noticed a thread elsewhere, with the usual back and forth. Some from people with the required experience and knowledge and others without. So, just for the record, here's the view of someone with both.

Some say mod making is daunting, well it should be. What isn't daunting is showing respect. I started modding on DOTT, by assisting DaBoon and being part of his team. I'd never edited many stata before, but did understand wrestling and have promoted in the past...so a unique skillset. Later I assisted Genadi with data and then took that to a new level across the 2016 mods by helping Genadi, Hive, Yank, Matt and a number of others across mods from 1980 onwards. I also finally released my own mod with the 1985 release. I've also answered every PM positively, offered help elsewhere and might even be the only member of this forum to have allowed use of things I own the intellectual copyright for within a real world mod. On top of that I provided data for a fantasy verse, which has only not seen release due to the lack of renders.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you just want to convert a mod then release it, just ask for permission and be honest. If you're looking to take a mod and release another, again ask and be honest. The control should be with the mod maker, I also believe you should feel privileged to be allowed to use data or work on a mod I felt that way on DOTT and still feel that way if any mod maker allows me to use their data.

The quality of work available now is a gift, not a buffet.

<p>This is an issue that has been brought up before, usually with mud being thrown between opposing views. And recently, I noticed a significant poll being closed within a day (in spite of it's opening post promising otherwise). I don't want to start another discussion up, but I will say this:</p><p> </p><p>

If I by default relinquish the bare minimum of ownership and control over the result from hundreds (if not thousands) hours of work by relasing mods on these boards - then I will simply stop modding.</p>

<p>Guys, I appreciate the tactful and respectful way in which you've laid your points out here. In fact I (and others) agree with much of what you've laid out. That said, I'm locking the thread and I'll let Adam decide whether or not he wants to re-open it if I'm jumping the gun. </p><p> </p><p>

Adam laid out his stance that the mod issue will be tabled until TEW 2020 comes out. If the mod forums become active at that time (which I expect they will), I imagine the status quo will remain. Adam also suggested to me that he expects TEW 2020 to make the burden of modding somewhat easier, and hopefully that fact alone will inspire more would-be mod makers. </p><p> </p><p>

Hopefully you understand why I'm closing the thread--not because I think you guys did anything wrong...I just thing this issue will invite an unnecessary flame war for an issue that's already effectively been tabled.</p><p> </p><p>

Feel free to PM me if there's an issue.</p>

Archived