Writing a novel, any tips/pointers?

Jaysin

So I decided to do what I've always dreamed about doing and writing a novel. It's a sci fi story about futuristic knights.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting past writer's block?

I'm trying to write for at least an hour a day to get into a routine, but this is the most I've written since I was in school. I wrote short stories all the time back then, but things don't seem to come to me as much as they used to these days.

Any tips from fellow writers would be greatly appreciated.

I have completed three feature screenplays which are different things but writer's block exists in both.

The best strategy I ever had was expanding outlines. Try and write the core idea of the book into one sentence. Then one paragraph. Then one page. Three pages. Etc until you feel you have so much of the story in your head and on paper that you aren't going to get stuck because you don't know what to do next.

Someone told me this or I read it somewhere but don't write and edit simultaneously. They are two different hats that you can't wear at the same time. Write and don't worry about grammar and presentation. Edit and don't worry about story and dialogue. Doing both at the same time will slow you down.

Good luck!

I have completed three feature screenplays which are different things but writer's block exists in both.

The best strategy I ever had was expanding outlines. Try and write the core idea of the book into one sentence. Then one paragraph. Then one page. Three pages. Etc until you feel you have so much of the story in your head and on paper that you aren't going to get stuck because you don't know what to do next.

Someone told me this or I read it somewhere but don't write and edit simultaneously. They are two different hats that you can't wear at the same time. Write and don't worry about grammar and presentation. Edit and don't worry about story and dialogue. Doing both at the same time will slow you down.

Good luck!

I have written a few pieces myself and I have to second this.

Many people feel, especially when they are writing a novel or TV Series or film or whatever, they need to write the start, then middle and then end in that order when it isn't true. 99% of people will have a starting point and an ending point and can usually write how they get from start to finish in a few lines or a short paragraph as most of the major details haven't been fleshed out yet.

Another thing I say to myself is never designate time to writing, unless you have a significant idea that you want to put into the story. Sitting down and saying you will write and it'll magically come to you is not a great way to do things, in fact, you'll become most inspired and creative when you are doing something completely different in your life which is why I recommend you have something on you at all times to write your ideas into.

Also, drafts, drafts, drafts! Having numerous drafts of your story is so important as the parts of the story where you think there is a lull in one draft, can be completely lifted in the next draft due to finding a plot point at the most random of times when you are putting the finishing touches on a story.

And finally, and most important, this is your story, but that doesn't mean getting help from other creative minded people is bad. Most people who write will know what it's like and will give you constructive criticism of your work to make it better instead of a regular reader who can't pick out specific problems, but will just round out a book and say why they liked it or disliked it, but will never have examples of what worked and what didn't and they won't give you ways to improve it. If you know somebody else who likes to write turn to them for advice instead of a spouse or friend who only consumes mediums.

And that's all I got. Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SymonBC
If you tried writing short stories already than you should think about showing those stories to people. They will help you to avoid some mistakes. I don't mean something like publishing. It could be a web blog maybe. <a href="https://www.fastcomet.com/opencart-hosting" rel="external nofollow">Here</a> is the hosting company I've tried for that purpose. Good luck with it, stay strong.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="SymonBC" data-cite="SymonBC" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46159" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you tried writing short stories already than you should think about showing those stories to people. They will help you to avoid some mistakes. I don't mean something like publishing. It could be a web blog maybe. <a href="https://www.fastcomet.com/opencart-hosting" rel="external nofollow">Here</a> is the hosting company I've tried for that purpose. Good luck with it, stay strong.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Firstly, welcome to GDS!</p><p> </p><p> Secondly, that's a great idea. I'll see if I can dig out my old story notebook next time I'm at my storage unit.</p>

Archived