The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

That or maybe the fact they didn't see it to begin with. Less affluent fans often don't buy pay per views.

Nah, it was pretty prominent on social media. No context to it other than "yeah, that was terrible."

I don't have cable so I have no way of watching AEW, so definitely not going to pay to watch one show every so many months.

I do like some of what I have read/seen.

Like I said, Tessa beat Cage before Tessa beat Sami

Tessa Blanchard didn't win the Impact Heavyweight Title until she defeated Sami Callihan at the Hard to Kill PPV on January 12th 2020, ergo she couldn't have defeated Cage for the title prior to Sami could she? Cage dropped the title to Sami Callihan on the October 29th episode of Impact in 2019.

Wasn't Cage's reputation that he lost his title against a woman? :D

He dropped the title to Sami Callihan and then did the job to the company's next top star on the way out, even though he was injured at the time. Even though he was a musclebound 250+lbs man and that next top star was close to half his weight and also a woman, he still took the liberty of putting her over strong, having her beat him clean as a whistle with no shenanigans and then embracing her in the middle of the ring.

I think Cage's reputation is that of a class act and that might explain why Tony Khan gave him a contract despite his bicep injury and paid him in full when he couldn't work.

Tessa Blanchard didn't win the Impact Heavyweight Title until she defeated Sami Callihan at the Hard to Kill PPV on January 12th 2020, ergo she couldn't have defeated Cage for the title prior to Sami could she? Cage dropped the title to Sami Callihan on the October 29th episode of Impact in 2019.

I completely forgot we were talking about her winning the title. :o

I legit thought we were talking about whether or not Cage had lost to Tessa in general.

- Jurassic Express vs FTR was great. Jungle Boy was on fire. Love the Heel Bucks.

- Kaz vs Hangman was great. Kenny was masterful on commentary with his subtle digs.

- Life isn't fair for poor MJF.

- Kingston's promo school is in session. Fun jobber beatdown.

- Private Party vs Jericho & Hager was good.

- Ivelisse vs Rosa © was great. Imagine if Shida was a dual champion...

- Miro getting those reps in.

- More jobber squashing LOL. Archer, Cage & Starks is one hell of a trio. Hobbs push continues. Classic TEW booking using a group of established workers to raise a new guy’s pop.

- Parking Lot fight was awesome carnage. Those cars had families dammit! Nice cameos from Cassidy and Sue.

Fantastic show with PPV quality action. Contender for Wrestling TV show of the year.

FTR vs Jurassic Express was a blast. Absolutely loved it from top to bottom. Jungle Boy legit looks better every week.

I didn't like Kenny on commentary though. He's just not a good talker.

Ivelisse and Rosa was great. Rosa is special

Best Friends vs Santana and Ortiz was great too. Booking logic makes sense Best Friends would win, but man, it seems like Santana and Ortiz lose all the time. They are one of the top teams in the world and don't get treated as such.

Was just watching Dark and I gotta say how much I love that show on a week in, week out basis. I think back over the B shows I've seen over the years and Dark just smokes them all. Superstars. WCW Worldwide. Sunday Night Heat. Not a one can hold a candle to Dark. On all the memorable B's past, there seemed to be a very strict dividing line between stars and jobbers and God forbid a jobber show much of anything. I remember Mick Foley mentioning in Have A Nice Day a match where he was to job to I want to say the British Bulldogs early in his career. Mick mentions he has an elbow drop he very proud and would like to work in before the inevitable loss only to get put off and condescended to.

On Dark, the jobbers really get the chance to show off their best stuff and demonstrate why they have the chance to work with such a large company. The vast majority of matches may still be a foregone conclusion. But the road there is so much exciting than when the Red Tylers and Barry Hardys of the world were getting borderline mugged every week.

<p>Dark has the most entertaining announce team in wrestling. Supple! Carter vs Johnson was one of the best matches in show's history.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Dynamite Special:</p><p> </p><p>

- Carter vs Sky was great. They need to lock Carter into a contract ASAP.</p><p>

- Jay vs Brandi was solid. The added intensity helped Brandi's offense look better.</p><p>

- Sydal vs Spears was good. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Dynamite:</p><p> </p><p>

- Sabian & Miro vs Sonny & Janela was solid. Got a bit sloppy when Miro tweaked his ankle.</p><p>

- Kingston is money on the mic. Short effective segment to hype up a short notice title match.</p><p>

- Evil Uno vs Page was good. LOL Matt.</p><p>

- OC vs Brodie © was great. Excalibur with the Fire Ant reference. Silver's antics were fun. Didn't expect Cody back so soon. He looks strange without the dyed hair. Brodie spitting fire.</p><p>

- I don't mind Private Party vs The Inner Circle so long as Hardy is only in a manager role. Top Guys Trolling.</p><p>

- Ivelisse & Diamante vs Rosa & Shida was good.</p><p>

- These Jericho/MJF segments are hilarious.</p><p>

- Kingston vs Mox © was my MOTN. Kingston really sucks you into his matches with his emotion. Hobbs and Starks still got a bit of shine in the brawl.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><p> </p><p> Dynamite:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- Sabian & Miro vs Sonny & Janela was solid. Got a bit sloppy when Miro tweaked his ankle.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just about the perferect segment in my world. After the underwhelming introduction and the Pillman Jr affont, I needed to see exactly what all the fuss was about. And boy did Miro deliver on that front. Anyone know where I can find a cashier? I'd like to officially buy in. That bodyslam tease into the side slam made my eyes go all Tex Avery and he showed so much passion and aggression it was easy to go along for the ride. Add in the fun chemistry Janela & Kiss have and this segment did all I needed it to.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- Kingston is money on the mic. Short effective segment to hype up a short notice title match.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Oh no doubt. Dude's been overdue for a more visible stage for a long time. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better pot stirring thug type in the world today. What you see is what you get with that dude and what you get is glorious. Guy is just brilliant at making you want to see someone shut him up and making it clear anyone who tries is gonna have to work for it.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- Evil Uno vs Page was good. LOL Matt.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Very good match and loved the commentary from Kenny. Particularly marked out for the Trooper reference when he was discussing his determination to get away from tags and be a singles star from here on out. Such an underrated band south of the Canadian border who needs more love. Good on Kenny showing his roots there.</p><p> </p><p> And I hope Wednesday night is'n't the last we see of this pairing. Uno and Hangman felt very well matched. A future match series could be a good backup plan for Uno should Grayson ever get hurt. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- OC vs Brodie © was great. Excalibur with the Fire Ant reference. Silver's antics were fun. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Was kind of surprised this went so early. With all the effort they've been putting into Cassidy, it felt like they could have gone the double main event route with this episode and put both singles title matches back to back. Was also kind of happy to be wrong. I sit outside the Cassidy phenomenon. He's not bad in my mind. Some of the athletic feats he does with hands in his pockets are truly impressive. I've just never related to his brand of cool. So it was nice to get his part over with.</p><p> </p><p> Will definitely agree with you on John Silver and his part of this match though. The guy has made an excellent flunkie since joining Dark Order. I don't know if he's to Penelope Ford levels as an interference runner yet but I wouldn't be shocked if he eventually gets there.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Didn't expect Cody back so soon. He looks strange without the dyed hair. Brodie spitting fire.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And I am so glad I didn't stop at seeing the stills. When I saw Cody in those, my gut reaction was "What? They're turning him into a vampire lord now? I thought this was the kind of the thing he fled WWE over." Was a lot clearer on the show what they are going for with him now. But part of me also has to wonder why now? This darker, more intense Cody would seem to have been a better fit with the crazy daisy Brandi was playing post Nightmare Collective</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- I don't mind Private Party vs The Inner Circle so long as Hardy is only in a manager role. Top Guys Trolling.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agreed. And as long as Matt maintains a steady personality. Maybe it was because I came to the Broken party too late but it was always too overwhelming and bizarre to get into. Besides Matt was always the more interesting Hardy to me to start with. See the Orange Cassidy thoughts above and apply them to Jeff. Same general concept. Much rather see Matt be himself and share his expertise with young guys who can take those insights to the next level than be some Zordon wannabe with a kooky sppech pattern anyday.Save that jazz for somebody who actually needs it. Not like Matt is or ever has been The Missing Link.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- Ivelisse & Diamante vs Rosa & Shida was good.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Ivelisse and Diamante make such a good tag team. Shame women's tag scenes never seem to last in places where you have performers of both genders working. They would be a perfect centerpiece to build from. Rosa & Shida meshed well too but it did feel like a short term thing where their opponents felt more like a concrete unit.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- These Jericho/MJF segments are hilarious.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No doubt. Two masters of characterization playing insincerity games that lesser performers will never be able to match</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- Kingston vs Mox © was my MOTN. Kingston really sucks you into his matches with his emotion. Hobbs and Starks still got a bit of shine in the brawl. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Certainly can't argue here. The hungry street urchin Kingston's always been against the borderline psycho Mox can be is a natural story dynamic. Put those elements together in their best forms and you're guaranteed an epic battle. One thing that did bug me was how they went into the history between Kingston and Moxley on commentary this week but completely overlooked that dimension in Kazarian v Page last week. But only a minor quibble in the grand scheme of things. Certainly didn't detract from proceedings in a meaningful way.</p><p> </p><p> And I love how this match came about. Talk about the perfect plan B once Archer had the virus issue. Kingston's issue about not having been eliminated in the battle royal is one that could have easily gotten lost in story shuffle over time. And the factuality of that point could easily have been overlooked if revisited later. So being able to resolve that point in a timely fashion worked perfectly in both story and off-camera senses. Now though a story segment I'd love to see down the road is Kingston finding another beef with management at some point and Khan or whoever being able to point to this match as a means of reassurance. Would love to see that jutxaposition with Kingston's impatient streak.</p><p> </p><p> The symmetry of the brawl was cool too. Nice nod to the main event we were supposed to have and hope to still get it down the road. Little touch that could have been lost in the backstage time crunch but thankfully wasn't. Very good job of taking lemons and making lemonade on management's part.</p></div></blockquote>