The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

9 hours ago, Kamchatka said:

there is however only 20 regularly active people on the female roster. If Saraya has similar views to her boyfriend then you're looking at another Punk v Colt situation.

As far as I'm aware, she's not even cleared to wrestle. So she's probably on commentary for the Women's TV show long term. Which is shaping up to be a sub 200k viewer program. 

Edited by Makhai

Dynamite:

- Jericho vs Claudio (c) - JAS needed some gold. *** 3/4
- Acclaimed vs Swerve in Our Glory (c) - R-rated rap. A bit sloppy and didn't need Billy getting involved but The Acclaimed winning was great. *** 1/2
- Funny FTR/Gunn Club segment.
- MJF/YUTA segment was great. YUTA did fine but MJF smoked him. Good selling from Tony.
- I had to google Trina.
- Cassidy vs PAC (c) - Interested to see if they follow up on PAC cheating. *** 3/4
- DMD vs Deeb vs Athena vs DMD vs Storm (c) - Wish it had gone longer. Athena & Deeb stood out. Bloody Britt. Hayter... no! Deeb joining DMD's crew? SARAYA! *** 3/4
- Darby doing creepy Darby things and somehow not getting arrested lol.
- Mox vs Danielson - My MOTN. MJF with the chip was good but they showed him way too often. Would have preferred Danielson win but with MJF circling he wouldn't get a long enough reign. **** 1/4

Good show with a hot crowd but too many screwy finishes and questionable camera directing.

Rampage:

- HoB vs Sting & Darby - Great Muta! Shame I was accidentally spoiled by youtube. - *** 1/2
- Daddy Magic & Cool Hand vs Action Bronson & HOOK - Bronson did well. -  ***
- Nese & Woods vs WarJoe - N/R
- Jungle Boy vs Fenix - My MOTN. More build to a JB/Luchasaurus match. - ****
- JAS more obnoxious than ever. Danny getting sick of it.
- Kingston vs Sammy - Eddie snapped. LOL Turner you idiot. *** 3/4
- Diamante vs Jade (c) - TK should have built Diamante up on TV first. LOL Trina. - N/R
- Golden Ticket Battle Royale - Fun cluster with a predictable winner. - ***
- Hobbs vs Ricky - Cool Ricky intro. Loved it but Lights Out should have been saved for the blow-off. TK has a habit of rushing to gimmick matches. - *** 3/4

Solid show but too many squash matches.

Edited by milamber

24 minutes ago, milamber said:

- Diamante vs Jade (c) - TK should have booked Diamante to win on TV first. LOL Trina. - N/R

Disagree. I think Jade's first loss should come from someone who could be a future fixture of the division, and after two years of only being on TV to job out to bigger names before heading back to AEW Dark, I think we can agree that Diamante is probably not that.

The available choices right now are admittedly slim; the only babyfaces on the roster that Jade hasn't beaten, if I'm not mistaken, are Riho & Yuki, who are never around, Statlander, who's out injured, Shida, who doesn't really need it, Martinez, who has vanished, and Abadon, Abadon would be a solid choice. The crowd likes her, and you can do a bit where she horror movies her way through the Baddies, taking out Leila and Hogan one by one before finally getting Jade with no back-up.

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Disagree. I think Jade's first loss should come from someone who could be a future fixture of the division, and after two years of only being on TV to job out to bigger names before heading back to AEW Dark, I think we can agree that Diamante is probably not that.

The available choices right now are admittedly slim; the only babyfaces on the roster that Jade hasn't beaten, if I'm not mistaken, are Riho & Yuki, who are never around, Statlander, who's out injured, Shida, who doesn't really need it, Martinez, who has vanished, and Abadon, Abadon would be a solid choice. The crowd likes her, and you can do a bit where she horror movies her way through the Baddies, taking out Leila and Hogan one by one before finally getting Jade with no back-up.

I meant that Diamante should have beaten someone else on TV first before facing Jade. Her last TV appearance was almost 2 years. Might as well have had Jade squash a random indie wrestler no one's heard of or TK could have made it an Eliminator match instead. I edited my post to make it clearer.

Edited by milamber

20 hours ago, milamber said:

Daddy Magic is almost Kingston level in these backstage promos - https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1573299895540162562

The promo was great enough to make me tolerate Action Bronson's presence in the match.

EDIT: Just saw Julia Hart's table bump. Hope she's okay, because it looked like she smacked her head right on the concrete!

Edited by The Swanton825

6 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Still disagree. Even with a lot of build, I don't see the crowds getting behind Diamante the way I see them getting behind Statlander, Willow Nightingale, or even (please God) Maki Itoh should she ever come back stateside.

Would have made it a bit less pointless. Like imagine if Wardlow had a sudden title match with Serpentico instead of Nese (who's a jobber but actually on TV). Not that it would have changed the Diamante/Jade match much... even Athena didn't last 5 minutes against her. TK needs to hurry up and execute his TBS end-game... or actually come up with one.

Edited by milamber

26 minutes ago, milamber said:

Would have made it a bit less pointless. Like imagine if Wardlow had a sudden title match with Serpentico instead of Nese (who's a jobber but actually on TV). Not that it would have changed the Diamante/Jade match much... even Athena didn't last 5 minutes against her. TK needs to hurry up and execute his TBS end-game... or actually come up with one.

He has some kind of deal with NJPW, owned by Bushiroad. They also own STARDOM. So I vote he brings in Giulia!

stardom-giulia.gif
(I mean, look at that bicep! On top of that, she is gorgeous! Oh yeah, she can actually wrestle too!)

Edited by djskeemask
  • Like 1

Actually, if it's a one-off while the real plan is waiting in the wings (assuming there IS one that's not "Just feed wrestlers to Jade until she's actually over"), I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in Ryo Mizunami again for a match with Cargill, provided Jade doesn't no-sell Ryo's shenanigans like she no-sells literally everything else (good job on undercutting that Stokely reveal COMPLETELY, Jade).

On 9/24/2022 at 7:45 PM, milamber said:

This is his endgame. Jade Cargill is his Chyna. He's going to ram it down your throat until you like it. It's very obvious he doesn't like booking the girls. It's very obvious that he knows that everytime they go on his TV program he loses exactly 1/5th of his viewers, no matter what, and he would prefer just sending them off to their own program and getting them out of his toy box. 

So I wouldn't be expecting Maki Itoh or Stardom's loli-cosplayers that don't even do 1,000 horny old dudes in 4,000 seat gyms in Japan most nights to suddenly show up on this program anytime soon. 

Edited by Makhai

6 hours ago, Makhai said:

So I wouldn't be expecting Maki Itoh or Stardom's loli-cosplayers that don't even do 1,000 horny old dudes in 4,000 seat gyms in Japan most nights to suddenly show up on this program anytime soon. 

Aside from all the times they've already shown up on his program, you mean.

ANYWAY, I am going to the show live tonight. *SQUEE!* Just have to remember to pull up my mobile ticket on my phone before I leave, as the Liacouras Center has some of the worst wi-fi I've ever seen. To connect to the wi-fi, you have to go to a website, but you can't get to the website because you're not connected to the wi-fi!

1 hour ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

I cannot believe Saraya is not gonna wrestle. She debuts inserting herself in a physical altercation but isn’t gonna wrestle ? why tease the physical if she can’t? Why even sign her if she can’t wrestle? You don’t need an authority figure or anything like that. Ugh the lack of sense annoys me.

Don't the heels feel dumb now that they ran away from a 4 on 1 against someone who isn't looking to get physically involved. 😂

• Like 1

Why is Saraya out of all people taking shots at WWE? Did I miss something? Might be because I read my news on the wrong website but I could swear she was one of the better treated people in there for everything that happened with her and everything she did that could have painted their image negatively.

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CQI13 said:

Don't the heels feel dumb now that they ran away from a 4 on 1 against someone who isn't looking to get physically involved. 😂

Let me clarify. She came back to wrestle. She's running around as we speak getting looked at by every quack doctor this side of the Potomac, she'll get cleared, she'll work her match with Baker or whoever, and then they will see if she holds up.

I think this is one of the dumbest things TK has ever done, there's no upside to this, she was a mediocre DIVA in a bygone era at her best. I am sorry that she had more potential then that, but she's 30 with a broken neck now. Those years are gone and so is that potential. She has a history of drug abuse as well. I do not see the upside, and the risk here is enormous that she gets hurt again and becomes a cripple on your PPV. 

I do not know why you even entertain this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawn said:

Why is Saraya out of all people taking shots at WWE? Did I miss something? Might be because I read my news on the wrong website but I could swear she was one of the better treated people in there for everything that happened with her and everything she did that could have painted their image negatively.

They wouldn't let her wrestle again. She couldn't get cleared by their doctors. That was the end of it for them. She felt they bent the rules for Edge, but not for her. She feels like she is a big star, and wants to have her Edge Royal Rumble moment because wrestling is all her family has ever done, she has no identity without it, and she will literally Randy the Ram this if TK lets her. 

That's the long and the short of it. 

• Like 1

You may not think so, but Saraya IS a big name. The only free agents that could have gotten an equal or bigger pop than she did are AJ Lee and Sasha/ Mercedes, and I don't see either one of them showing up in AEW anytime soon.

And the WWE probably did bend the rules for Edge. They bend the rules for lots of people that Vince thinks are draw, like that time Brock tested positive for steroids but wasn't disciplined at all because "something something part time status", or how Jimmy Uso can get his third DUI and then get handed the tag team belts immediately after. But when Naomi would rather DEFEND the tag titles on the PPV instead of getting fed to Bianca, who really shouldn't need any more build at this point, WELL NOW, the WWE has to take a firm hard stand!

Back to the issue at hand- all her issues aside, Saraya is a big name, and her return was the most talked about Grand Slam moment. Of the many issues with AEW women's division, one of them has been that they've not had a Jericho, or even a Mox, someone established and over who can get eyes on the product and elevate talent. Saraya could certainly do the former, and hey, Willow Nightingale & Skye Blue actually got to be on Dynamite! So maybe it will work. Even if she never gets cleared, if she were to act as a manager, that might boost the profile of someone like Willow or Skye.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

You may not think so, but Saraya IS a big name. The only free agents that could have gotten an equal or bigger pop than she did are AJ Lee and Sasha/ Mercedes, and I don't see either one of them showing up in AEW anytime soon.

And the WWE probably did bend the rules for Edge. They bend the rules for lots of people that Vince thinks are draw, like that time Brock tested positive for steroids but wasn't disciplined at all because "something something part time status", or how Jimmy Uso can get his third DUI and then get handed the tag team belts immediately after. But when Naomi would rather DEFEND the tag titles on the PPV instead of getting fed to Bianca, who really shouldn't need any more build at this point, WELL NOW, the WWE has to take a firm hard stand!

Back to the issue at hand- all her issues aside, Saraya is a big name, and her return was the most talked about Grand Slam moment. Of the many issues with AEW women's division, one of them has been that they've not had a Jericho, or even a Mox, someone established and over who can get eyes on the product and elevate talent. Saraya could certainly do the former, and hey, Willow Nightingale & Skye Blue actually got to be on Dynamite! So maybe it will work. Even if she never gets cleared, if she were to act as a manager, that might boost the profile of someone like Willow or Skye.

Makhai likes to stir the pot. Don't let it get under your skin.

Considering AEW is the promotion of stables, I would totally vibe with Saraya starting a group, Britt Baker starting a group, and having them build to a 5 vs 5 match somewhere down the line. If you cannot get Saraya cleared and you're concerned about how her body is going to hold up, having her drive a story that leads to a match where she just has to play the hits is certainly the direction I would go in. 

• Like 5