The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

41 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

I thought her and Corey Graves worked very well together, so well that I could pretend Michael Cole wasn't there trying to ruin everything with how bad he is.

As for the show tonight, I thought the ROH match was great up until the finish. It absolutely did not land because they just ran something similar with Hayter and Baker.

The MJF, Mox, and Hangman promos were solid.

Pac vs, Cassidy was terrific.

The opener was good, again, until the finish. What's the end game here? Aside from dragging things out until Full Gear?

I'm not sure who's supposed to be the heel with the TBS feud. The announcers were clearly denouncing Nyla, but her promo was almost one hundred percent cocky cool babyface.

I got scared for a second! As I was scrolling down, the first thing I saw in your post was Michael Cole's name. I immediately thought he had joined AEW and you were commenting on that. I would probably quit watching

- Big pop for Renee!
- Luchasaurus vs Jungle Boy was very good. Interesting result.
- Nice to see Ego getting promo time.
- WarJoe are fun but not a fan of singles champions tagging so often. Nana & Cage! FTR! Babyface Spears! I'm sure TK could have fit more people in that segment if he tried lol.
- Swerve vs Billy was solid. The Sterling/Nese bit was fun.
- MJF adding some depth to his character.
- Hangman cut one of the best promos of his career.
- Bryan vs Jericho (c) was very good. Kevin Steen shoutout. Garcia... no!
- Nyla is the law!
- Hayter & DMD vs ShidaStorm was very good.
- Cassidy vs PAC (c) was my MOTN. Smart use of the long ramp. Danhausen! Orange confetti was a nice touch.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:23 PM, azzak said:

Me at Dynamite tonight 🙌

PXL_20221012_225210908.jpg

Being ringside is such a unique experience. Everything feels larger than life. I was ringside for a TNA house show back in 2010 or 2011 and despite being a house show, it's one of my favorite shows I've attended just because of how close I was. It helps that I got to meet like most of the roster, but still, being that close is so damn fun. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaysin said:

Being ringside is such a unique experience. Everything feels larger than life. I was ringside for a TNA house show back in 2010 or 2011 and despite being a house show, it's one of my favorite shows I've attended just because of how close I was. It helps that I got to meet like most of the roster, but still, being that close is so damn fun. 

So I was actually in row 8 for Dynamite, just got this great photo opportunity before the show began - but it was still so crazy to be able to see the action so close and in person! I've just got home from seeing Rampage - I was row 5 for that and slightly further to the side, but I was so close to Moxley for his entrance which was awesome! 

• Like 2

- Loved that Renee appeared (as were the crowd), hopefully this isn't just a one and done because it was Toronto.
- Luchasaurus vs Jungle Boy I didn't think was bad, but nothing special. A good opening match to the show.
- Get more Ethan Page on Dynamite. The guy is so underrated... and I'll fight you if you say otherwise 😁
- WarJoe (stupid name) vs. Nightmare Factory was too long. I'm not a fan of random tagging - especially of singles champions. It's lazy booking and tag teams should be actual teams. Good to see Spears back! Hopefully they actually give him a decent push.
- Swerve Strickland vs Billy Gunn was pretty good. Like the opening match it did what it needed to do. I didn't really like the Nese/Sterling bit (and I like Mark Sterling, he is a brilliant manager). It made zero sense to me. Lets for a minute suspend belief that AEW don't own the trademark, it makes The Acclaimed look like morons they'd release a T-Shirt without first trademarking the phrase themselves. Again, this is nonsense booking despite there being great talent involved.
- MJF promo was what you'd expect. Little character depth added. I wonder if they're trying to make him this generations anti-hero. He's an egotistical, self entitled mouthpiece who thinks everything he says is golden so he'd be a massive hit with most of Twitter!
- I know everyone liked Hangmans promo and the intensity but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm unfairly judging because I don't like him (character wise) but I just don't care what he has to say.
- Daniel Bryan vs Chris Jericho was a very good match but the finish absolutely sucked. You could predict that outcome all night long. Daniel Garcia is not getting over. He's amazing in the ring but has no personality at all. He reminds me of that Lance Storm gimmick - only this isn't a gimmick, he really has no charisma whatsoever! Luckily he has time on his side - I believe he was put in the JAS to help work on that side of his game, which if he does, he will be successful.
- Hayter & Baker vs Shida & Storm was good. Any time I get to see Shida is a blessing because she is one of my favourites on the entire roster. Plus Jamie Hayter is going to be a star.
- Cassidy vs PAC was easily Match of the Night for me. Again, whether it's because I think PAC is one of the best out there at what he does, whether its my memories on Cassidy in CHIKARA or the fact Danhausen appears. Doesn't matter why, this was the most entertaining part of the show for me.

It was overall, a good show. I enjoyed the majority of it and with the exception of the Hangman Page/Moxley segment, I didn't go off and do other things!

Just realised, I missed the Nyla bit. Unsure what they are doing here, is Nyla now a Face? I like Nyla and think it's about time they let her be a little more like herself instead of a generic beast with no personality. She can be a really good cocky babyface so hopefully that is the route they go with her.

10 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I remember when I was a kid, my mom took me to my first WWF (yes, I'm that old) event. This house show. She hated wrestling but wanted to take me for my birthday or some kind of gift. Small fieldhouse with about 3000 capacity. We were 2nd or 3rd row mid ring. I remember seeing my mom's face as The Undertaker made his way past us. His entrance gave me chills. His presence was off the charts. Like you said, larger than life. Got high fives from The Bushwhackers and a finger point from Repo Man! At least I think he was pointing at me. It could be because I yelled "I miss Smash" as he walked by at ringside. 😆 Looking at the card on cagematch, it was a really weak show. Still one of my most memorable shows. Even over a couple live TV shows.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, azzak said:

So I was actually in row 8 for Dynamite, just got this great photo opportunity before the show began - but it was still so crazy to be able to see the action so close and in person! I've just got home from seeing Rampage - I was row 5 for that and slightly further to the side, but I was so close to Moxley for his entrance which was awesome! 

Still not bad seats! I'm about 3 hours from Chicago. I bought 2 tickets for Forbidden Door. Row 9, about 5-6 seats over from the railing for the entrance ramp. My buddy flaked on me and I lost my ride up there. Tried to resell the tickets and they didn't sell on Ticketmaster. Out all that money (won't say how much). The worst part is, I ended up buying the PPV and saw the empty seats numerous times on camera. Still regret not planning ahead more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, djskeemask said:

Still not bad seats! I'm about 3 hours from Chicago. I bought 2 tickets for Forbidden Door. Row 9, about 5-6 seats over from the railing for the entrance ramp. My buddy flaked on me and I lost my ride up there. Tried to resell the tickets and they didn't sell on Ticketmaster. Out all that money (won't say how much). The worst part is, I ended up buying the PPV and saw the empty seats numerous times on camera. Still regret not planning ahead more.

Damn what a show to miss out on too, it turned out to be an epic event! I'm really surprised they didn't sell on Ticketmaster - I must admit I got so lucky with my tickets in resales, but so many were snapped up early by scalpers and being listed for thousands... That and the 'dynamic pricing' thing Ticketmaster do which... Just sucks. You should have hit up Reddit or something to see if anyone nearby you wanted to go, I'm sure you would have had someone interested!

23 minutes ago, azzak said:

Damn what a show to miss out on too, it turned out to be an epic event! I'm really surprised they didn't sell on Ticketmaster - I must admit I got so lucky with my tickets in resales, but so many were snapped up early by scalpers and being listed for thousands... That and the 'dynamic pricing' thing Ticketmaster do which... Just sucks. You should have hit up Reddit or something to see if anyone nearby you wanted to go, I'm sure you would have had someone interested!

It was sort of last minute (days). He lived in Chi for a while so he wanted to go up a few days early and do this and do that. That's an expensive city and I had just dropped quite a bit for the tickets. Offered gas money. He got mad cause I didn't want to do all the things he had planned. So he got pissy and decided he didn't want to go. Even with basically a free ticket. If he took care of the travel costs and we stayed at his friends place, I was probably just gonna let him slide on paying me for the ticket. The money aspect wasn't a big deal to me. He is just as passionate about wrestling as I am and all of us on here. If I don't know something about it, he most likely does. A walking wrestling encyclopedia. I've known him since we were kids so I figured it would be cool to catch up at that event. (My best friend growing up's cousin). Oh well, live and learn.

• Sad 1

Ugh. Just ugh. The Kingdom are the worst. I do not understand what there is people like about them. Maria's promo didn't even make sense. In what world are Matt Taven or Mike Bennett responsible for any part of AEW forming? My memory is turning to swiss cheese, so it's definitely possible I'm forgetting something they've done that was ever remotely worth sitting through.

6 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Ugh. Just ugh. The Kingdom are the worst. I do not understand what there is people like about them. Maria's promo didn't even make sense. In what world are Matt Taven or Mike Bennett responsible for any part of AEW forming? My memory is turning to swiss cheese, so it's definitely possible I'm forgetting something they've done that was ever remotely worth sitting through.

Matt Taven was a key player on that abomination of an MSG show, that killed ROH, it's relationship with NJPW, and paved the way for AEW. 

Other than that I'm clueless as to why this bloated company needs Taven + Hotwife and Cuck. Already have a zillion tag teams that don't get any camera time. A zillion better workers that can't get on TV, just an indefensible hire.

I hope they are quickly jobbing out on Dark and they are not on 3+ year deals. 

Edited by Makhai

Rampage was OK. Opening and closing matches were good. Squashes were disappointing.

I've only seen a few clips of Taven & Bennett in ROH and Bennett as a solo act on 205 Live. Maria is a good talker. They're typical midcard heels whose gimmick is that they think they deserve to be at the top. Solid hands for ROH. I just hope a TV deal is close so they can syphon off that part of the roster and better utilize the AEW talent.

Edited by milamber

On 10/15/2022 at 9:57 AM, Makhai said:

Matt Taven was a key player on that abomination of an MSG show, that killed ROH, it's relationship with NJPW, and paved the way for AEW. 

Other than that I'm clueless as to why this bloated company needs Taven + Hotwife and Cuck. Already have a zillion tag teams that don't get any camera time. A zillion better workers that can't get on TV, just an indefensible hire.

I hope they are quickly jobbing out on Dark and they are not on 3+ year deals. 

We’ll are they even in AEW or just ROH, or are they in NJPW now too to go for those titles. Who knows and who cares, they’re gonna lose and things will move on.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:57 AM, Makhai said:

I'm pretty sure All In paved the way for AEW. All the G1 Supercard did was teach New Japan that they could successfully run big shows in the US that blew their show's co-promoter out of the water.

3 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

I'm pretty sure All In paved the way for AEW. All the G1 Supercard did was teach New Japan that they could successfully run big shows in the US that blew their show's co-promoter out of the water.

Personally, I would much rather watch NJPW over any other company. They have so much talent. Their shows have an intermission before the top few matches, and even the undercard is usually worth watching. Jonah is already facing main eventers on their Japan cards and he is something to look forward to. His entrance is even awesome. When he gets into the ring he stomps his foot and the announcer, ref, and other wrestlers sell the stomp and they act like they are going to fall. So simple, yet so effective to sell his size and power. Say what you want about Okada but he is VERY consistent. Ospreay is always putting on 5 star matches. Tanahashi is always open to putting over talent. AND!, it looks like they are finally giving a push to Master Wato. Hopefully he can step his game up a little getting a push to the 4-way match for the Jr. Hvy. Title.

Finally watched Rampage. I have a feeling Tony Khan is close to or has signed a TV deal for ROH. There is so much emphasis on the belts and former ROH talent. Matt Taven and Mike Bennett are only over because of Maria. And she isn't even that great. (PS...Matt Taven picked the wrong pair of jeans to wear on TV. He looked like he pissed himself).

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

I have no problem with them pushing ROH belts and talent, because that means Dalton Castle is on my TV, and he should be on my TV ALL THE TIME.

Yeah, he grew on me. Never really caught him before until his appearances on AEW. He is great on the mic and has an unforgettable gimmick. He should be pushed more.