The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

14 hours ago, Dalton said:

Why would Jay do that? No one was listening to Punk so he could hype the main event. It was already booked and didn't need any extra fluff. Case in point, the crowd was molten for both the promo and the match so what they did worked as intended, obviously. 

The promo was straightforward and blunt. He told everyone that he is the most important person in AEW and the rest of the roster needs to come to terms with that, including the current champion.

Because it makes sense for a plucky heel to try and steal his thunder? It's an angle? It's creating and advancing a story? It's actually doing something on the show?

Punk came out and said he had been absent because of his injury and then proceeded to talk about owing apologies and the fan favourites being soft. Am I the only one that thought the whole deal made no sense? I don't really follow the sheets, nor I do really trust them, but AEW's failure to acknowledge Brawl Out is so frustrating to me. I hate the wink wink nudge nudge crap they continually pull, it's intelligence insulting. They should really hire a press agency and start actually talking about what's going on internally. When do they ever tell you when a wrestler is injured? 

If you didn't have Wrestling Twitter, a sub to Fightful Select or a membership for the Observer, how were you supposed to know what Punk was going on about? 

I find it all really dumb. I do. Maybe I'm alone in this, whatever. WWE are doing a lot of stuff that is working, how much of it is worky shooty insider rubbish? Basically none of it. Smart company.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Because it makes sense for a plucky heel to try and steal his thunder? It's an angle? It's creating and advancing a story? It's actually doing something on the show?

Punk came out and said he had been absent because of his injury and then proceeded to talk about owing apologies and the fan favourites being soft. Am I the only one that thought the whole deal made no sense? I don't really follow the sheets, nor I do really trust them, but AEW's failure to acknowledge Brawl Out is so frustrating to me. I hate the wink wink nudge nudge crap they continually pull, it's intelligence insulting. They should really hire a press agency and start actually talking about what's going on internally. When do they ever tell you when a wrestler is injured? 

If you didn't have Wrestling Twitter, a sub to Fightful Select or a membership for the Observer, how were you supposed to know what Punk was going on about? 

I find it all really dumb. I do. Maybe I'm alone in this, whatever. WWE are doing a lot of stuff that is working, how much of it is worky shooty insider rubbish? Basically none of it. Smart company.

I get the annoyance. I personally loved it but I’m also All In on the drama. Someone like yourself who isn’t following everything would get lost in the subtle jabs he’s making. AEW has done a bad job handling locker room issues and not mentioning brawl out at all has been one. I understand for legal reasons you’re not having either side talk about each other. But have the announcers mention that the elite and punk were in a fight in the back. WWF did when Bret and Shawn got in a real fight when Shawn lost some hair.

From the early results, there are way more names here on AEW Collision than on AEW Dynamite. Between Andrade, CM Punk, Miro, Ruby Soho and Samoa Joe, you start with five wrestlers who were fairly recently in the title mix on WWE Television -- those guys are going to draw way better with the casual audience than those on AEW Dynamite.

Do you think Tony will move AEW Dynamite to a better time slot? Would/should AEW Collision run on Wednesdays?

Cagematch.png

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

Cross-promotional events usually don't further many storylines --most of the matches don't further storylines and the big match outcomes are predictable.

For example, last year's AEW Forbidden Door had a few star vs. star matches for the titles and several multi-man matches to showcase talent. 

AEW needs to build Forbidden Door to the big Wembley show (All In). This year could be different. 

I think Kenny could drop the belt here to Ospreay. Would work for a best-of-three series (One match in NJPW, one at Forbidden Door and one for All In). Kenny could then win it back, there or down the road.

Who else do you think we'll get on the card? I think we'll see Takeshita and Bullet Club Gold vs. FTR at least. 

Forbidden Door.png

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

13 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Cross-promotional events usually don't further many storylines --most of the matches don't further storylines and the big match outcomes are predictable.

For example, last year's AEW Forbidden Door had a few star vs. star matches for the titles and several multi-man matches to showcase talent. 

AEW needs to build Forbidden Door to the big Wembley show (All In). This year could be different. 

I think Kenny could drop the belt here to Ospreay. Would work for a best-of-three series (One match in NJPW, one at Forbidden Door and one for All In). Kenny could then win it back, there or down the road.

Who else do you think we'll get on the card? I think we'll see Takeshita and Bullet Club Gold vs. FTR at least. 

Forbidden Door.png

I know it's highly improbable of happening, but Sting and Darby vs Hiromu Takahashi and Tetsuya Naito(or Shingo) would make this little Stinger/LIJ fan one happy camper. 

59 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Forbidden Door.png

Last year a bunch of top guys were injured. This year, Omega vs Ospreay and Danielson vs Okada are already MOTY contenders.

I'd love to see Ospreay winning and then a third match at All In.

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I know it's highly improbable of happening, but Sting and Darby vs Hiromu Takahashi and Tetsuya Naito(or Shingo) would make this little Stinger/LIJ fan one happy camper. 

Sting and Shingo were heavily featured in the FD video so I assume they will be involved. Some Naito/LIJ action would be nice if the CMLL/AAA issue has been resolved.

2 hours ago, aXminster said:

Last year a bunch of top guys were injured. This year, Omega vs Ospreay and Danielson vs Okada are already MOTY contenders.

I'd love to see Ospreay winning and then a third match at All In.

From my limited understanding Will gave himself a deadline of 1 year to beat Kenny so that would be at Wrestle Kingdom next year. It's an AEW show so I'd be shocked if Kenny lost.

Edited by milamber
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, milamber said:

From my limited understanding Will gave himself a deadline of 1 year to beat Kenny so that would be at Wrestle Kingdom next year. It's an AEW show so I'd be shocked if Kenny lost.

Most the time, when you run a three match series between two wrestlers, you have each wrestler score one win going into the third match. That way, both guys go into the finale easily matched and there is "something to settle" in the blow-off.

Maybe they do things differently in Puroresu, but American wrestling logic usually dictates the competitors split the first two matches.

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

On the other hand, it's for a New Japan belt, Ospreay works for NJPW, Kenny doesn't. 

NJPW seems pretty comfortable letting Gaijin Talent show up on Dynamite and Rampage pretty regularly. Zack Sabre Jr. and Aussie Open, among others, have been on AEW Programming every couple months or so.

NJPW's Japanese stars seem to show up a lot less, usually only in big spots near shows like Forbidden Door.

I also think Tony will want to book Will Ospreay on the AEW All In show in Wembley. He's the biggest English name they can loan out for that show, and it makes sense that Ospreay -- win or lose -- would be against Omega. In that case, you'd expect the Forbidden Door match to set up the All In match.

Especially since the other big English star -- Jamie Hayter -- may still be injured.

I have to think we're not getting The Elite vs. Punk in any form unless things change for a while, so Omega isn't tied to the Main Event.

To be fair, Samoa Joe vs. Punk could be the better draw anyway, given that both guys have a lot of history together. If Punk stays healthy, the program will be really hot.

4 hours ago, milamber said:

Some Naito/LIJ action would be nice if the CMLL/AAA issue has been resolved.

LIJ are announced in CMLL so they will most likely be on the show. But hell will freeze over before CMLL does anything close to talk to AAA.

2 hours ago, El Güro said:

LIJ are announced in CMLL so they will most likely be on the show. But hell will freeze over before CMLL does anything close to talk to AAA.

If AEW can use the LI trademarks, I'd assume that AEW can also use the LIJ ones. I may be wrong though.

I've been looking forward to an LIJ-LI interaction for a while, so I hope you're right that LIJ is at Forbidden Door. 

I would not wait for Rush or Andrade to be involved. Andrade maybe can patch up his relationship with CMLL, but the Muñoz family didn't really leave in a way that looks like they will ever be welcome again.

But since when does AEW use the Ingobernables name and not "La Facción Ingobernable"?

10 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

I also think Tony will want to book Will Ospreay on the AEW All In show in Wembley. He's the biggest English name they can loan out for that show, and it makes sense that Ospreay -- win or lose -- would be against Omega. In that case, you'd expect the Forbidden Door match to set up the All In match.

I would be stunned if New Japan allow AEW to do Omega vs. Ospreay twice. I'm sure the deal was probably for two matches - Omega goes over in Japan, Ospreay goes over in North America.

RevPro is running their biggest show ever during the All In weekend, it's their Anniversary show at the Copper Box Arena. Will Ospreay is wrestling Shingo Takagi and the Undisputed British Heavyweight title is held by Great-O-Khan. Considering RevPro have done tremendously well by New Japan in terms of both importing their talent for supercards and taking in wrestlers on excursion, I think NJPW will help their British friends in drawing a packed house and will withhold their talent from working the Wembley show.

51 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

I would be stunned if New Japan allow AEW to do Omega vs. Ospreay twice. I'm sure the deal was probably for two matches - Omega goes over in Japan, Ospreay goes over in North America.

RevPro is running their biggest show ever during the All In weekend, it's their Anniversary show at the Copper Box Arena. Will Ospreay is wrestling Shingo Takagi and the Undisputed British Heavyweight title is held by Great-O-Khan. Considering RevPro have done tremendously well by New Japan in terms of both importing their talent for supercards and taking in wrestlers on excursion, I think NJPW will help their British friends in drawing a packed house and will withhold their talent from working the Wembley show.

I don't know anything about their relationship or history, but business wise this would be extremely dumb. If you can get your brand on one of the biggest wrestling shows of all time, you do it.

3 hours ago, aXminster said:

I don't know anything about their relationship or history, but business wise this would be extremely dumb. If you can get your brand on one of the biggest wrestling shows of all time, you do it.

They probably will have some exposure on the show, I'm sure they are open to that. They essentially took over ROH and then started their own US operation off the back of their success with the supercards. But I think anybody considered a drawing card for the RevPro show will probably be withheld. RevPro helped make Jay White into Switchblade, they took in Yota Tsuji and he came back to headline Dominion. I think it will cross their minds that RevPro is a valuable partner to them and there's little rhyme or reason in undermining the gate they could draw for their Anniversary show. If Andy Quildan is booking Sabre Jr., he will surely be annoyed if the dude is booked the following day on All In. He wants people coming into London to see these guys and he will want them on one show - his.

Whether TK makes an offer is a different kettle of fish. I do wonder how open he is to having NJPW on the show. It has surely crossed his mind that this should be an advert for the company more than anything else and nothing should be given the opportunity to overshadow that. We'll see, but really, what's the point in doing Omega vs. Ospreay III when you've already sold like 55,000 tickets? They may as well save that for when they came back to the UK and need a drawing card.

• Like 1

Remember way back when, when they first announced the Owen tournament, they said it was going to be a showcase young and upcoming talent? And this year features... CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Roderick Strong, and Dustin Rhodes. Man, I hope those crazy kids can make it in this business.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Remember way back when, when they first announced the Owen tournament, they said it was going to be a showcase young and upcoming talent? And this year features... CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Roderick Strong, and Dustin Rhodes. Man, I hope those crazy kids can make it in this business.

No Sting? Outrageous!!!

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Why does CM Punk need the Owen Hart Cup? He's already the uncrowned champion.

Punk doesn't need a title shot, No one ever beat Punk for the championship.

The only thing Punk competing in the Owen Hart Cup will cause is an injury.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mootinie said:

They probably will have some exposure on the show, I'm sure they are open to that. They essentially took over ROH and then started their own US operation off the back of their success with the supercards. But I think anybody considered a drawing card for the RevPro show will probably be withheld. RevPro helped make Jay White into Switchblade, they took in Yota Tsuji and he came back to headline Dominion. I think it will cross their minds that RevPro is a valuable partner to them and there's little rhyme or reason in undermining the gate they could draw for their Anniversary show. If Andy Quildan is booking Sabre Jr., he will surely be annoyed if the dude is booked the following day on All In. He wants people coming into London to see these guys and he will want them on one show - his.

Whether TK makes an offer is a different kettle of fish. I do wonder how open he is to having NJPW on the show. It has surely crossed his mind that this should be an advert for the company more than anything else and nothing should be given the opportunity to overshadow that. We'll see, but really, what's the point in doing Omega vs. Ospreay III when you've already sold like 55,000 tickets? They may as well save that for when they came back to the UK and need a drawing card.

You'd think Tony would be smart enough not to schedule the big British PPV on the same weekend the biggest British promotion has their Wrestlemania.

Especially when that meant moving AEW All In away from Labor Day Weekend, when many American fans would have an easier time watching it.

Could Tony not hold the show on Labor Day in the UK for some reason?

6 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

You'd think Tony would be smart enough not to schedule the big British PPV on the same weekend the biggest British promotion has their Wrestlemania.

Especially when that meant moving AEW All In away from Labor Day Weekend, when many American fans would have an easier time watching it.

Could Tony not hold the show on Labor Day in the UK for some reason?

AEW announced All In for Wembley before RevPro announced their Anniversary Show for the Copper Box Arena. PROGRESS and DEFY have announced shows in London for the same weekend now too. It's basically a WrestleMania Weekend deal where they're hoping fans going All In will attend other shows in the city on the Saturday.

Labor Day weekend will probably be when AEW holds All Out. I'm presuming that show is still happening, somebody in AEW legal said it was but who knows. The kids go back to school the first week of September so maybe Tony didn't think it was a good idea to ask parents to come to London for a wrestling show when most will probably be sorting their kids to go back to school on Tuesday. Plus teachers will be working the Monday. In terms of maximising attendance, holding it the weekend before is probably a smart move. And the weekend before that is probably off limits because The Weeknd has a gig at the stadium on 18th August. The weekend before is the rugby. The weekend before that is the community shield. I think the weekend he has booked for All In is the only one he could book in August.

• Like 2