The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

58 minutes ago, aXminster said:

Just awful. Flair has nothing to add at this point.

Except ya know, being a legend. Sure that doesn't add a dang thing. Absolutely pointless to hire one of the biggest names in wrestling history. 

🙄

If you don't understand hiring legends to help your brand, than I don't know what to tell you.

38 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Except ya know, being a legend. Sure that doesn't add a dang thing. Absolutely pointless to hire one of the biggest names in wrestling history. 

🙄

If you don't understand hiring legends to help your brand, than I don't know what to tell you.

Except to your exception is, he's the wrong kind of legend. Let me explain.

Flair is indeed a wrestling legend. There is no doubt or discussion about it. But, he is the type of legend that has some of the worst kind of allegations against him, which paints him in a negative light. He also has well past his expiration date of relevance. Especially after he said he WANTS to have another match! At HIS AGE!! I won't say he's like Hogan, but he is his own cloud of bad.

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

🙄

AEW absolutely does not need him. I was kinda fine with him being for Sting's last ride because of their history and all, but signing him for a multi-year deal is just a terrible decision.

30 minutes ago, aXminster said:

AEW absolutely does not need him. I was kinda fine with him being for Sting's last ride because of their history and all, but signing him for a multi-year deal is just a terrible decision.

whether or not AEW is in trouble, Tony is behaving like AEW is in trouble and thats making AEW worse.

Tony needs to focus on the product and homegrown stars and fans will tune in. Thats why this week the ratings were relatively good -- MJF and Acclaimed were featured heavily.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, aXminster said:

No one said they need Flair, but he doesn't hurt the company either. It's not like they brought in someone like Ed Leslie with zero drawing power. 

Flair will bring extra eyes to the product just because of his name. I doubt he'll work a match either. I'm assuming it's similar to WWE's legends contracts, where they're essentially on retainer for spot appearances.

I'm not saying I would hire Flair if I was in TK's spot, but I definitely understand why he would.

Especially with Flair's energy drink doing well and making it the official energy drink of Aew. 

I understand why people wouldn't want someone like Flair in a major company, but I also understand the decision to sign him. 

40 minutes ago, John Lions said:

In what way is Tony Khan behaving like AEW is in trouble?

Tony signing Ric Flair to a multiyear deal, announcing tickets for All In will be on sale soon on Dynamite and putting Omega vs. MJF on TV with no build are three desperate ploys for ratings in the last week.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

56 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Tony signing Ric Flair to a multiyear deal, announcing tickets for All In will be on sale soon on Dynamite and putting Omega vs. MJF on TV with no build are three desperate ploys for ratings in the last week.

There was plenty of build if you watch the shows. It was given a storyline that made sense and it made sense to put it on a show they want to promote. AEW is a TV first company and the ppv model is essentially dead. WWE announces WrestleMania, SummerSlam, and Royal Rumble tickets a year in advance. Does that mean they're freaking out?

Tony is not panicking. Nor is he acting like he is. 

Kenny didn't want to be passed over as the longest reigning champion. Simple, but effective storyline. 

• Like 1

Why is Daniel Garcia just randomly getting a world title match on Dynamite? Good lord it's like 2000's WCW now, just hotshotting world title matches on free TV with no build when they're also trying to sell a PPV that is headlined by a world title match.

Starting to think Tony has lost the plot.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

Why is Daniel Garcia just randomly getting a world title match on Dynamite? Good lord it's like 2000's WCW now, just hotshotting world title matches on free TV with no build when they're also trying to sell a PPV that is headlined by a world title match.

Starting to think Tony has lost the plot.

Wait, what?

That can't be real, right?

• Like 1

AEW has actually been pretty consistent about allowing champions to accept challenges from anybody they want. Even if there's already a title match scheduled or an upcoming PPV, or if they'd beaten the challenger already. MJF isn't the first and surely won't be the last pro wrestling champion to accept a challenge from someone who ran their mouth and now is in need of an ass kicking. Though I'll grant that most companies only do this with secondary titles and when there isn't a match scheduled for an upcoming PPV. I think AEW does it under any circumstances so that what matches we'll get from week to week and month to month feel more unpredictable. If so, they're certainly succeeding at it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

The main complaint I have is advancing storylines on Twitter. I don't like having to keep track of social media goings on in addition to watching several hours of TV in order to know what's going on. This isn't just an AEW problem though.

Do they at least do a decent job with the announcers talking about that goofiness before the match? I always roll my eyes when WWE guys post stuff in character for a storyline and poor Michael Cole has to read it verbatim.

8 hours ago, CQI13 said:

Do they at least do a decent job with the announcers talking about that goofiness before the match? I always roll my eyes when WWE guys post stuff in character for a storyline and poor Michael Cole has to read it verbatim.

I'm not the right person to ask. The second the words "Twitter", "Instagram", "TikTok", or "Social Media" get said by any announcer, my brain tunes out everything they have to say.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aXminster said:

It's nice that they've paired The Righteous with Jake The Snake. Could be good.

Penta vs Swerve is going to be amazing, everything else is a hard pass.

The Righteous definitely deserve a main event push. They're a fun tag team.

Jake's the perfect mouthpiece for them.

Dutch could be a great singles star down the road for AEW.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

- Classic Collision opening promos with a bonus fight.
- Fox vs Swerve was my MOTN. Brawl!
- Garcia hype. MJF going off. Switchblade in a good mood after pinning the fake Champion. Toothless tosspot lol.
- Kingdom squash was OK. Roddy is a trooper.
- Archer vs Darby was good. Wouldn't mind if Archer & The Righteous stay together. Shame Stu seems to have visa issues.
- Enjoying the Lucha Underground callbacks.
- Everybody likes the Acclaimed... including MJF. Dalton! Impromptu match was solid.
- Sex Stallions vs Briscoe & Naturally Limitless was solid. Good Briscoe promo.
- Willow vs Emi was good.
- Absolutely Big & Mogul Embassy vs FTR & LFI was good. HoB! BCC! So many acronyms!