The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

- Pretty good match. White and Swerve are just incredible professional wrestlers. I love the fact that there was no tie or ref bump to end the match, just Swerve outsmarting White and White getting caught off guard. 
- The story with Storm and May is getting interesting. I'm curious to see where they're going with that.
- Christian vs Copeland could be great next week. Don't know if I'm ready for Christian to lose the belt yet though. I hope he retains.
- I just realized that I don't care about Wardlow AT ALL anymore. Something needs to change. Maybe he's involved with the Devil shenanigans, maybe not, either way I'm not sure it would be enough for me to care.

So are we getting to know two members of the Devil's group next week or they are gonna wrestle with masks on? lol

• Like 1

Thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on The Devil storyline.... the initial set up for it was that someone else stole MJF's mask, which in theory makes it someone who has access to MJF's locker-room.  At that point the obvious person was Adam Cole since that was his "best friend" who had just lost to him, but could also have been Roderick Strong, Matt Taven and Matt Bennett by proxy too.  I don't think the story was meant to run this long but Adam Cole's injury has dragged it out and unintentionally made it bigger than it was originally meant to be and now we all want a payoff that isn't the obvious Adam Cole one.... 

.... but to me, it's definitely Adam Cole.  And we've seen The Devil hang out in a group of 5 in the past, which makes me think it's Adam Cole, Roderick Strong, Matt Taven, Mike Bennett and Kyle O'Reilly.  Basically, Adam Cole and all his REAL friends as he does whatever it takes to win the championship and absolutely break MJF's spirit in the process, which is what halped him to keep the championship this long in the first place.

That said, I've seen one other credible option mentioned that hasn't come up yet, and might have been hinted at on Dynamite this week.  There was mention that the AEW security team were looking into the situation, reckoned it was an inside job (a wrestler at least), and that they had access to lighting/cameras.... Mustafa Ali has history of doing stuff like this as the Smackdown Hacker and he's a genunine talent who only ever needed a push to get to another level.  I don't know who his other friends could be, though perhaps Mercedes Martinez as a former short lived member of Retribution... but in terms of Chicago made talents, Ali would be a fun one to add to the mix, esecially if they could debut him in Chicago too 😛

• Like 3

- Mox vs Lethal was solid. Dragon on commentary!
- Yes to Sting on TV. No to Flair on TV.
- Briscoe vs Rush was great.
- Poor Toni needs a break.
- Serious MJF promo with a bonus TNA history lesson. Failed beatdown attempt was funny.
- Wardlow vs Fox was solid.
- Hardys & Zay vs Top Flight & Andretti was solid. Did they need to show the injury spot? Taz legal proceedings from the Dark days lol.
- Emi vs Julia (c) was solid. Smart stipulation choice. Emi saved the overshot moonsault.
- Mariah debut soon. I think she's barking up the wrong tree with RJ lol.
- Christian/Copeland segment was entertaining.
- White vs Swerve was my MOTN.

Edited by milamber

3 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

They should have the Devil be Swerve and make him AEW World Champion. I genuinely think anything else would be a mistake but knowing Tony, it will be revealed as Chris Jericho or something. 

Oh God I hope not.  The last thing AEW needs is yet another Chris Jericho led stable hogging all the attention from everybody else.

The fact is that this storyline has been completely blown out of proportion because of Adam Cole's injury. If he was healthy maybe he would've already been outed as the Devil and nobody would've complained, because we were all expecting a betrayal coming out of the Brochachos, we just didn't know who would pull the trigger first.

But now the longer it goes, the more people speculate and get their hopes up, and if it's really him it's just gonna be kinda lame.

• Like 3

Continental Classic has been good so far. I’m interested in whether they’ll go all the way with Brody King. The real interesting thing is that it’s hard to call a winner, unlike the G1 Climax where you know only a handful might win the tournament since it’s for the title shot at the Dome. Literally anybody could win this Triple Crown.

18 hours ago, milamber said:

Women's division felt like an afterthought this week but I enjoyed the Toni/Skye promos.

I noticed that for all of the talk about "standby matches" we STILL only got one women's match. On the other hand, we got Abadon! On TV! And it's not October! Even if the end does mean they plan to feed them to Julia Hart.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

I noticed that for all of the talk about "standby matches" we STILL only got one women's match. On the other hand, we got Abadon! On TV! And it's not October! Even if the end does mean they plan to feed them to Julia Hart.

They could have Julia take Abadon under her wing after the match. Just having Abadon ringside for Julia's matches to get them on TV more would be good. There's no value in paying wrestlers a yearly salary to wrestle 2 matches per year.

Edited by milamber

Just now, milamber said:

They could have Julia take Abadon under her wing after the match. Just having Abadon ringside for Julia's matches to get them on TV more would be good.

Eh, I hope not. A) AEW has a horrendous track record with women's teams and stables, even by the low standards of how they've booked the division, and B) the House Of Black just isn't terribly interesting. They want to be heels and do all the cool heel stuff but without suffering any sort of meaningful comeuppance. It's like if the Blackpool Combat Club shopped at Hot Topic.

16 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Eh, I hope not. A) AEW has a horrendous track record with women's teams and stables, even by the low standards of how they've booked the division, and B) the House Of Black just isn't terribly interesting. They want to be heels and do all the cool heel stuff but without suffering any sort of meaningful comeuppance. It's like if the Blackpool Combat Club shopped at Hot Topic.

They need to lean into the Occult stuff more often, and make the House of Black feel more distinct like the Ministry or Raven's Flock did.

House of Black could really use a lineup change to freshen the group up. Malakai kicking Buddy Matthews from the group would make a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

They need to lean into the Occult stuff more often, and make the House of Black feel more distinct like the Ministry or Raven's Flock did.

House of Black could really use a lineup change to freshen the group up. Malakai kicking Buddy Matthews from the group would make a lot of sense.

I'd say they should just have Danhausen randomly show up thinking he's a part of the group, but they're already doing something like that in WWE with R-Truth and Judgment Day.

They really should have someone turn the mind games around on them, in the way that Bugs Bunny will say, "Of course you know, this means war..." Like, the House Of Black is making their entrance, with the spooky music... Cue record scratch, and suddenly their regular entrance theme is replaced by the Benny Hill Theme.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

For a black metal fan, Malakai sure has a hard time doing anything all that black metal with his gimmick. House of Black should be the Ministry on steroids with a generous dose of Kevin Sullivan in Florida. I'm not saying go full Mayhem (never go full Mayhem), but do at least one or two things to get religious nutjobs angry!

19 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

For a black metal fan, Malakai sure has a hard time doing anything all that black metal with his gimmick. House of Black should be the Ministry on steroids with a generous dose of Kevin Sullivan in Florida. I'm not saying go full Mayhem (never go full Mayhem), but do at least one or two things to get religious nutjobs angry!

Right now, they aren't doing anything more nefarious than like JAS or The Inner Circle. And given that House of Black is a quasi-Satanic group, they should at least try to abduct someone, if not set someone on fire.

Simply aesthetically, they could really use some more piercings or facepaint.

- Mox vs Rush was good.

- Roddy the miracle man.

- Interesting stuff between Hangman & MJF backstage.

- Briscoe vs Swerve was my MOTN. La maison de qui ? La maison de Swerve.

- Can't wait for people who don't know Mariah to see her wrestle.

- The Devil Crew wrestling probably would have given away their identitites. Waste of time.

- Toni (c) vs Skye was solid. Classy intro from Ben Mankiewicz. Riho!

- Lethal vs White was solid.

- Copeland vs Cage (c) was solid. Shayna doing the right thing for her son.