The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

I don't like that Kingston is in the finals. What was the point of the tournament, then? Could have just consolidated the titles, create a new belt and be done with it. They have telegraphed it from the start -  Look, I like Kingston as a lower-mid/mid-carder who sometimes punches above his weight, same way I think about OC, him in main event is big ouch.

Why not Swerve or White? 

While continental classic itself was good, it still feels like a watered down version of G1. It feels like a solution created by Tony, to keep Danielson for himself - "See, we have our own G1, don't leave me" and have a triple crown belt because AJPW reference.

Devil storyline and everything surrounding it is just awful. I hope Tony Khan is the devil because at least that would be something fun to say the least. Before people say that they don't have main eventers, and it's hard to pivot from Adam Cole - Christian and Edge are on their own island doing nothing! It takes one match to integrate that feud into the world title scene and that's a killer main event for any PPV.

Speaking about Joe, Miro could have been a monster of the month week type main eventer in the place of Joe. No need to kill Joe's aura for that stupid storyline and destroy Keith Lee's credibility with that TV title relinquishment. Miro was back doing his stupid cuck angle anyway, devil stupidity wouldn't have affected him - he is on paid holiday until WWE comes calling back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dawn said:

Did you mean Aces n' Eights? That was actually a really good storyline up until the reveals started happening and it was one underwhelming reveal after the other.

Yes, that's the one. Like the devil storyline that was hot when there was mystery, then in petered out. I feel this one going the same way, as I don't see any satisfying reveals. Which considering they've just pinned the champion is not good.

You know how during the Continental Classic, everyone was saying how they loved the absolutely no interference stipulation? They definitely need something like that for the AEW Women's Division. Because I am SO sick of AEW Women's matches having interference from partners or managers or what have you.

- Statlander vs Willow - *** 3/4

- Battle Royale - ***

- Yuta vs Hook - Didn't live up to FTW gimimck. - *** 1/4

- C2 All-Star Losers Tag - Big pop for Garcia winning. *** 3/4

- Miro vs Andrade - Needing to write Andrade out hurt this one. *** 1/2

- Riho vs Toni (c) - Riho sold the back damage well. Toni's new finisher looked brutal. - ****

- Swerve vs Dustin - Shame about Lee. Ending with the cinder block would have more sense. - *** 1/4

- Jericho, Sammy, Darby & Sting vs Bill, Starks, Takeshita & Hobbs - Didn't need to be on PPV. Need more Takeshita singles matches. - *** 1/4

- Abadon vs Julia (c) - *** 1/2

- Copeland vs Christian (c) - My MOTN. What a twist 😮 Killswitch is a dumbass. **** 1/2

- Kingston (c) vs Mox - Eddie! Danielson added a lot on commentary. Kawada kickpads look cool. - **** 1/2

- Joe vs MJF (c) - MJF intro video was funny. Joe! The Devil reveal had me on the edge of my seat even though it was predictable so job well done. *** 3/4

Worst AEW PPV of the year with only 2 standout matches. More botches than usual.

So Cole was the Devil? I mean, it made sense, but I kind of wished they'd called an audible when the whole thing went tits up with all the injuries. At least it's not a UE reunion, so there's that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CQI13 said:

So Cole was the Devil? I mean, it made sense, but I kind of wished they'd called an audible when the whole thing went tits up with all the injuries. At least it's not a UE reunion, so there's that.

I'm not even a big Kyle O'Reilly fan, but I'd much rather see him and Bobby Fish than Taven and Bennett who have less personality, star quality, and in ring ability than KOR and Fish.

It's like expecting a Horsemen reunion and getting a Magnificent Seven reunion instead.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I'm not even a big Kyle O'Reilly fan, but I'd much rather see him and Bobby Fish than Taven and Bennett who have less personality, star quality, and in ring ability than KOR and Fish.

I disagree. Taven and Bennett have really won me over the past few months. The only personality that ReDragon has is in Bobby Fish's mustache (which, admittedly, is some of the finest facial hair in modern pro wrestling).

7 hours ago, Jaysin said:

It's like expecting a Horsemen reunion and getting a Magnificent Seven reunion instead.

I don't know why that made me laugh as much as it did. 

To be fair, I went to the last Thunder/next to last Nitro, so I will always have a soft spot for The Magnificent Seven. 

14 hours ago, Dawn said:

I fear it's a work. They've kept Andrade's up and Tony confirmed he's gone.

MJF is a face now -- four days ago, he just released this statement on AEW -- why would you do this as a work? 

If you're going to do this, you should try to turn MJF heel first.

It has people saying and thinking all the wrong things.

(I agree it probably is a work, still, it's a bad idea)

• Like 2

Thought the Undisputed Kingdom debut was really good. Love the outfits and gimmick, think it's near-perfect.

Love how AEW set up immediate feuds between the other two top factions in AEW. 

There's a definite "Four Horseman" feel to the faction -- in some respects, the Kingdom is a clear homage in that respect.

AEW also has an opportunity to re-use a lot of old ROH footage to add legitimacy to the group.

Not really digging the way Adam Cole's relationship with Wardlow is portrayed here. I feel they are telegraphing Wardlow's turn on Cole a little bit. 

I can (somewhat) understand why Tony Khan removed MJF from the roster page now?

• Like 1

- Joe looks better draped in gold. Storytime with the Devil baybay. Strong promo. 2 feuds already set up. Cole already treating Wardlow like he's Killswitch lol.

- Cassidy (c) vs Dante was good. Quen!

- Classic Toni promo. Swerve coming for that main event spot.

- Mariah vs Aminata was good. Rare 1st hour slot for the women and Mariah got live promo practice. Excalibur dropping that Stardom lore. Deonna!

- Patriarchy promos are predictable but fun. Outcasts are more fun with Harley around.

- Takeshita vs Darby was my MOTN. Takeshita needs his own theme for this singles push.

- Trent vs Cage vs Keith vs Vikingo was good. Eddie more worried about the table lol.

- Swerve vs Garcia was great. Daddy Magic protecting his boy. Full facial hair Hangman ready to throw down.

20 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

I just hope that Deonna Purazzo doesn't fall prey to the "AEW Women's Division big debut" curse that we've seen time and again. See also: Ruby Soho, Taya Valkyrie, Athena, etc.

The same curse seemingly applies to the many number one free agents they have signed too. Sometimes, I don't think they get that you have to avoid pinning some wrestlers. Or maybe they get it but don't care. Still, not much has come from the signings of Ethan Page, Jay Lethal, Keith Lee, Brian Cage, Malakai Black and Andrade El Idolo.

Keith Lee has been booked reasonably strongly, too, with the notable exception of the ROH TV Title match. He's just had terrible luck with his health. We're not privy to all o the behind the scenes stuff, but reading between the lines says that Brian Cage's problems were at least partially self inflicted. I thought people didn't like Jay Lethal and didn't want him to be signed, let alone get any kind of push. Andrade's problems were also at least partially self inflicted. Ethan Page is the only one I'll give you, and even then he was being primed for something bigger before Brawl Out fallout derailed it and he got trapped in the Hardy Vortex of Doom. (Matt, I love you bud, but almost nothing you've done in AEW has hit. And every time I see you, you walk more and more like Mick Foley. You're in severe Time Decline. Please consider retirement. For your health, if nothing else.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MightyDavidson said:

Oh dear, was the audience not reacting the way they wished?

So Hausman isn't just a Punk stooge on this, and we have to believe what he says? I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, but at least bring receipts. And his post on X was disingenuous - looking to stir the pot for the sake of stirring the pot.