The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Yeah, I don't know why Mercedes just doesn't seem to be clicking. 

8 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

I loved her when she was in NXT. I'm thinking she's someone who needs to be produced to highlight her strengths and hide her weaknesses.

Her character is dreadful imo and the CEO stuff is just annoying. And not in a heel way, in a I check out of the show whenever she's on screen way. Her in ring work is sloppy. I love that she's so passionate about pro wrestling, but man, I want her to go away 😂

• Like 1

I thought Mercedes was having a fine match with Shida but then she took 3 katanas, kicked out at one, rolled to the outside of the ring and was on her feet going after the kendo stick. I have no idea what happened but that one moment alone took me out of the match entirely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

I thought Mercedes was having a fine match with Shida but then she took 3 katanas, kicked out at one, rolled to the outside of the ring and was on her feet going after the kendo stick. I have no idea what happened but that one moment alone took me out of the match entirely.

She hulked up!

Would you? If you knew you could phone it in at work, getting not only a big paycheck, but tons of other perks, would you do your best, or would you half-ass it? I can't fault her for that. No, the blame, like many things in the women's division, lies squarely at the feet of Tony Khan.

The thing with Mercedes is she thinks she is better than she is.   It's why she left WWE twice and it's why she isn't working well now - people with biggish egos often dont see their own flaws - she is a fine worker but she wont admit to herself when things aren't working.

• Like 1

ppv was good, once again aew ppvs hit even with the buildup doesn't,

ospreay/pac, statlander/nightingale, all fantastic. mjf/garcia, four way, bucks/club were good. shame about mone/shida, i would assume it wasnt planned that way and something happened but i don't like assuming about people i never met.

perry/danielson was great and did it's job, it was a stop gap feud that lasted like 2-3 weeks and was quickly transitioned out with christian / combat club threads hanging in the air.

main event was great, not sure what i feel about the needle spot, but it was my ideal of a end of a hatred feud.

--

i've got mixed opinions on mone, she is not doing well for me rn, but since she has been rumoured to go to aew, it feels PERSONALLY that they have paid more attention and care to the women's division (certainly it's not perfect, and i would agree with a lot of the critiques about it), not sure if that is due to her or just lucky timing -- trust me, i am the last person who wants to write giant fanfics on the ongoing of the backstage or the personalities of people i've not met --, but if it was due to her in some ways. i'm happy that she is in aew.

so it goes.

• Like 1

Very much echo everyone's sentiments on Mone. I won't go as far as calling her a modern day Jeff Jarrett (yet) in regards to her thinking she's way better than she actually is.

What I feel happened in this occasion is she left WWE with a lot of buzz due to the way she exited, TK signed her on a very lucrative deal that likely included at least 1 guaranteed title run and maybe some degree of creative control. In the meantime there were teases thanks to the collaboration with New Japan/Stardom but before she could officially debut for AEW (likely at Forbidden Door) she got injured and lost all that buzz while on the sidelines. By the time Big Bu$ine$$ came around, it was no surprise she was signed, she had zero momentum coming in. Given her contract terms, I doubt she has a reason to put in some effort and work her way back up to where she was. And to be fair, the booking hasn't helped her either.

If it was just her getting a mega push, I wouldn't mind as much because I'd just skip her stuff. Thing is -and I'm not putting all the blame on her for it- she's dragging other people down. Kamille is a joke compared to her early NWA days, a returning Britt Baker was fed to her, she's getting big spots at the expense of much better matches (Storm-May at All In, Willow-Stat at All Out etc), the tbs title (which isn't even exclusive to shows on tbs) is portrayed as a much bigger deal than the Women's World Championship...

• Like 1

I specifically said "in regards to her thinking she's way better than she actually is". I meant that in terms of overness and placement within the card, not in-ring skill. And I still think she probably has more charisma and star power than him, it's just this "you're not as big a deal as you think you are" thing. And no one can tell me she's trying to spin this into heel heat fir herself, because we'll have to open another can of worms labelled Jericho. Dunno, for me she peaked in NXT, especially that feud with Bailey.

As someone with a positive outlook towards AEW and away from tribalism, I just want to see them do well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I specifically said "in regards to her thinking she's way better than she actually is". I meant that in terms of overness and placement within the card, not in-ring skill. And I still think she probably has more charisma and star power than him, it's just this "you're not as big a deal as you think you are" thing. And no one can tell me she's trying to spin this into heel heat fir herself, because we'll have to open another can of worms labelled Jericho. Dunno, for me she peaked in NXT, especially that feud with Bailey.

As someone with a positive outlook towards AEW and away from tribalism, I just want to see them do well.

I was just saying that Jarrett has redeeming qualities, Mone doesn't. Mone is overpaid and brings little to the table. 

Tribalism is dumb and I don't understand it. I want all pro wrestling companies to do well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I want AEW to do well - wrestling is best when there are options and the top company has some pressure to perform.  In terms of me saying Mercedes thinks she is better than she is - I just think it's the core issue with why she isn't working.  Mercedes has talent and enough natural charisma to get over but history suggests that her ego gets in the way too often.  She quit WWE twice over frankly silly reasons where she didn't like jobbing to further a storyline where she would get that win back or the storyline planned (which would have seen her featured prominently on screen) where her and Naomi would split and feud and since her last exit she's sort of failed to connect with her character ideas.  I think she can still make it to the top of the card regularly if she actually learns that she isn't always right but if she keeps insisting her ideas are always the best ones she will continue to fail to get over the way she could and should.

Edited by alpha2117

8 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

I dont know if the CTE reference was pre-planned or Chrisitan went off on his own but ... I hope that never happens again ... there are things that shouldn't be used as an angle and that was one of them.  Ugh.

The problem with Christian is that he's so good at being a horrible person that people cheer him for it and he has to keep getting more extreme in his content. He's what MJF wishes he was in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, guyver3 said:

So did Vikki Guerrero, so did Paul Bearer’s sons but those were still considered tasteless

You're right, a lot of people will find it tasteless and they have every right to consider it that.

To me, pro wrestling is a unique business, and if Jack Perry wants to get over (because ultimately it's Christian Cage and Jack Perry feuding and anything they do to each other stands to make both of them and AEW more successful), I personally give him a little leeway to do that.

Granted, they're also being risky themselves because if they want to use that material to drive their career, they do risk turning off people who find it too tasteless.

So they will feel the repercussions of it and own what they do.

3 hours ago, guyver3 said:

The point wasn’t about Perry though the point was Christian has been allowed to get away with something more tasteless than a CTE reference for so long now 

Honestly I think the CTE thing is more tasteless ... it's something that can genuinely effect wrestling as a whole for many years ... it's also something many talents are genuinely concerned about.  It's a huge risk for them all.  I imagine there are people all through the industry who cringed with him going there.  

I dont know if it was him riffing or was pre-panned but it was bad ... the Perry stuff is tasteless but not actually wrestling related and it is fair game if Jack and his family is okay with it.

JoJo Offermann recently spoke about the Wyatt6, about how she is happy for them because she loves her late partners brother very much and all the people doing it respected Windham and most of them were friends with him.  She also said she gets Liv Morgan or Samantha Irvin to give her a heads up when that stuff is going to happen because when Wyatt6 debuted and the music hit she had a massive panic attack. It's great they are honouring him but it's difficult for her.

I am sure mentioning Luke Perry is triggering for people - maybe even Jack but he has decided he can deal with it.  The CTE thing is an industry wide issue and honestly going there and making fun of it and using it that way is pretty horrible.  It's also unnecessary - it wont really get any extra good heat just go away heat.    

Edited by alpha2117