The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When I see Rey Fenix in the kind of form he was in on the last episode of Dynamite I genuinely start to believe he is the best wrestler on the planet.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> His match versus Nick Jackson last year is one of the best TV matches I've ever seen. I think both of them are highly underrated.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When I see Rey Fenix in the kind of form he was in on the last episode of Dynamite I genuinely start to believe he is the best wrestler on the planet.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Gives me vibes of mid to late 90s Rey Mysterio Jr and a little Ultimo Dragon thrown in for good measure.</p>

<p>Road to Dynamite:

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ii0sxLZhTcc?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Why is Darby Allin going to lose the TNT Championship to Joey Janella? | Road to AEW Dynamite"></iframe></div></div><p> </p><p>

BTE Valentine's Day Edition:

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/qsKPv6_Uc3Y?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="“Set For Life” - Being The Elite Ep. 242"></iframe></div></div>

- Janela vs Darby © was great.

- Good MJF vs Sammy feud progression.

- Johnson & Cody vs Avalon & Bononi was solid. Nice to see Johnson get the rub on TV. LOL at that QT snub.

- PAC vs Nemeth was a solid squash.

- Jericho & MJF vs The Acclaimed was solid.

- I'm really enjoying this Hangman/Dark Order/Hardy storyline. I don't think Darby will care about being dragged in a body bag. Kenny the Best Golfer in the World.

- Leyla vs Rosa was good. Nice to see Jungle Boy getting promo time.

- KENTA & Omega vs Archer & Moxley was my MOTN. I like that it took 3 finishers to put Archer down.

Man you're pretty liberal with the word "great". The story telling in Darby vs Joey was abysmal. Darby worked the arm the whole match and didn't even win with an arm submission. He won with the Coffin Drop. Whoever put that match together deserves to get lectured.

A Coffin Drop that landed on Janela's injured arm. There was also a nice spot where Darby got payback for Janela targeting his face. To me it was the most well laid out match on the show.

I get where you're coming from, but I'd make the argument that realistically not every match will go exactly to game plan, and even when things are going well, there may be an opportunity that requires going off plan to do. The Coffin Drop tends to finish people, Darby saw an opportunity to hit it, so he went for it. makes sense to me.

I recall Ricky Steamboat working the arm during matches then winning with a pinfall, Arn Anderson too for that matter, does that make all their matches horrible too? :rolleyes:

I don't recall Arn and Steamboat matches like that personally. I never said the match was bad either, just the story telling was bad. The in ring action was fine. I just feel if you're working over a body part for an entire match, that body part should be involved in the finish.

I also think the match was too long. Darby is a champion, Joey is a guy whose almost never on Dynamite and rarely wins in general. Darby should have made quick work of him.

On this week's episode fo Dark, Joey Janela won his match with a top rope diving elbow drop, so I assume that's his main finisher of choice. I don't know for sure, he doesn't win many matches and I don't know his indy work.

On Wednesday, Darby works over that arm and effectively devalues that potential finisher to make sure it can't be properly used against him, then wins with his own finisher. Makes sense to me, they worked a more strategic match than usual which seemed designed to accentuate that while Darby is mostly known as a risk taker he can also actually wrestle too.

Something was obviously lacking in getting that over to the fans, so something didn't click. But to me, that would actually be the job of the commentary team to put over Janela's finisher more as the guys in the ring did everything well and told a story that made sense to me. But if people aren't well known, sometimes we need that level of communication to fill in some blanks for us and to raise our understanding and investment in the match. Jim Ross, historically, was a guy who used to be able to do that very well but I think for a lot of the guys that he (and Tony Schiavone) are still learning about it's a lot harder, so that would ultimately fall to Excalibur to do.

Sometimes things don't work 100%. But ultimately, it's rare for anyone at a championship level performer in the ring to do things that have no meaning, it's often just a case that we as fans don't always see it and we need someone else to make it clear. Which is something I feel the NJPW commentary team are very good at... they can bring in a lot of history and understanding of all aspects of their product to add depth and nuance to any match. The AEW team are still working towards that and aren't quite there yet. :)

So after bad mouthing Darby vs Joey, Pete Dunne and Finn Balor did the same thing I had a problem with in the Darby match. I don't know if it's because I like Pete and Finn more than Darby and Joey, but I really enjoyed Finn and Pete's match. It was good enough to get me to subscribe to the Network again for NXT.

I did rewatch the Darby match and enjoyed it more the second time, but I still think Joey lasted too long. He's rarely on Dynamite and loses more than he wins.

That said, the NXT PPV had a surprise debut and a huge PPV ending that sets up a whole new direction for the show going forward. I feel like AEW has to do something big this week to counteract NXT's potential momentum.

Meltzer did claim Okada should be appearing at some point, but I don't think it's possible for him to be in Jacksonville Wednesday since ya know, the pandemic.

What if Nick Aldis showed up? He'd be another world champion in the mix.

Maybe I'm thinking way too much into this.

- Mei vs Yuka was good once they started clicking. I doubt it's the last time we see Mei.

- Veny vs Sakura was my MOTN. Veny should be a high priority signing if she's interested.

- Itoh vs Mizunami was good and laid out to show off their big personalities. I marked out for Maki performing her entrance in front of an AEW banner.

- Kadokura vs Kong was solid.

Everyone came out of the show looking strong. The commentary helped add backstory to the wrestlers for unfamiliar viewers. I'm not surprised they went with experienced winners early on. I predict Yuka & Mizunami to upset the veterans.

- TH2 vs Hangman & Hardy was good except for the botch. Post-match segment was fun.

- Deeb vs Riho was one of the best AEW women's matches ever. Their chemistry was strong and I loved how they played up the injury angle.

- Jade looks amazing in these vignettes. OC vs Luther was an OK squash. About time Sting got physical. Uncle Kenny lol.

- PnP vs Young Bucks © was great. I didn't mind the opportunistic finish. PnP just looked unlucky.

- FTR vs Sydal Bros was good. I was expecting the new mask to be different.

- Kingston's Crew vs Moxley, Archer & Fenix was great. Exploding Barbwire Death Match!!!

I'm not sure Deeb is capable of having a bad match. Her NWA defense against Thunder Rosa was one of my favorite matches of 2020, and normally I'm not crazy about matches that have lots of shenanigans like that one did.

Fantastic to see Riho back.

And I'm calling it right now- Tarzan Boy might be even a bigger thing for the crowd to sing along to than Judas.