The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

- Dr. Britt & Itoh vs Rosa & Riho was good. Itoh finally made it to the US! Fine performance considering her crazy schedule.

- MJF & Jericho vs Young Bucks © was great.

- Tag Team Battle Royale was good once the ring thinned out. I thought SCU would win because of their breakup storyline. Fenix finally cleared the barricade! Death Triangle vs Young Bucks is going to be a banger.

- Mizunami vs Shida © was great. Nice setup for a Dynamite match.

- Miro & Sabian vs Best Friends was solid. I like how it started with a backstage beatdown and Miro looked strong.

- Hardy vs Hangman was good.

- TNT Ladder Match was great. Signing Ethan Page was a no-brainer. Sky was a good choice to win. Cody should be off TV to sell his injury.

- I like Christian and he brings experience to the table but the reveal was still underwhelming. Cesaro, Black, Andrade or someone from NJPW would have been more hype-worthy, IMO.

- Team Taz vs Darby & Sting Street Fight was really cool. Gave me Taker vs Styles Boneyard vibes.

- Mox vs Omega © Barbed Wire Exploding Deathmatch was my MOTN. Nice touch with Kingston protecting Mox at the end... shame about the weak ass pyro botch.

Thoughts from me:

Really enjoyed the 2 women's matches - Britt and Rebel are just such a great heel combo; Itoh looked cool, and they did a great job of delivering two good matches and also using the post-match stuff after the title match to build to a contest I'm excited to see on Dynamite.

Tag title match was really good, and I'm assuming we're going to see MJF push for control of the Inner Circle on Wednesday.

I loved the tag battle royal, despite a couple of less than great moments (Evil Uno - argh.) I thought it did a good job of showcasing various teams I haven't really seen (due to not watching Dark) and then the ending was awesome, despite how much I wanted Silver to win. REALLY want Silver vs PAC at some point, but Death Triangle vs Bucks should be great.

Miro/Kip vs OC/Chuck - This was fine, and Miro's being built up well. I love that he comes across as a completely serious threat despite the goofy humour. I obviously wanted Orange to win because he's AMAZING, but ah well.

Page vs Hardy - I wish Page had won this quicker - Hardy doesn't seem like he should be on AP's level at this stage of his career - but loved the fun, heartwarming ending. Decent match overall.

Ladder match - Cool to see Ethan Page here, but didn't do much for me overall.

Christian Cage segment - Okay, I think Christian is a good signing but wow that felt overhyped by Khan. Also seemed weird he didn't talk. And I really don't like the new catchphrase.

Cinematic match - I was NOT interested in this because the build-up sucked through being so repetitive, IMO, but they did a great job of making me care anyway. Darby rocks. Would really like to see less of Sting going forward though.

Main event - V good match although WOW I'm not a fan of interference in general and having it in so many of the matches was really annoying me.

Ending - Oh no. Dammit. I have no clue where they go with the angle from here, but not loving the "That was the plan all along" compared to the announcers and Kingston selling it as if it had been horrifically damaging.

Overall, I liked the show a lot, and am almost certainly buying the next PPV. Just wish the ending hadn't jumped the shark like that.

Just watched the cinematic Street Fight. Wow, that was fun. Heard that Darby Allin had a lot of creative input in it... if that's correct, I'm sold on the guy.

He went to film school. TK pretty much gives him free reign for vignettes.

Also, not being talked about enough is QT seemingly turning on Dustin. QT was looking buffer than usual and him eliminating himself is another good hook for AEW going forward. Interested to see what both QT and Dustin do going forward.

I enjoyed the show, for the most part.

I can admit this: I never, even for a minute thought the secret signing was CM Punk.... until the ladder match, and I saw the thing they would be fighting to pull down was a literal brass ring. For some reason, that flashed me back to Punk's Pipebomb Promo, and got me to thinking... you know, maybe...

I'm very happy to have Christian in AEW. I've said in various places on social media that I thought a problem with Christian being the secret signing was that he's a 3,000 Hits Hall of Famer, and the fans were all wanting/expecting a 500 Home Runs Hall of Famer. Some folks liked that analogy, and I was proud. :cool:

I do wish the ring explosion had gone better. I've heard some people say that was Shockmaster level bad. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it may have been YET-AY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Giant at the end of Halloween Havoc 1995 bad. Moxley's promo after the show definitely helped, (Omega might be tough as hell, but he can't build an exploding ring for... well, you know).

In general, I'm not all that big a fan of the cinematic matches thing, I'm much more of an old school traditionalist, but I thought this one looked pretty cool, and was definitely a better showing for one of my all time favorites, Sting, than anything WWE had given him. Sting's match against Triple H, and then his match against Seth Rollins... I'm just thankful he doesn't have to go out like that, is all.

Solid show. I paid the $49.99 to watch, and I didn't regret it.

I'm very happy to have Christian in AEW. I've said in various places on social media that I thought a problem with Christian being the secret signing was that he's a 3,000 Hits Hall of Famer, and the fans were all wanting/expecting a 500 Home Runs Hall of Famer. Some folks liked that analogy, and I was proud. :cool:

This is the perfect analogy.

From what I've seen Tony Khan almost gave Darby total control over the street fight.

He went to film school. TK pretty much gives him free reign for vignettes.

Also, not being talked about enough is QT seemingly turning on Dustin. QT was looking buffer than usual and him eliminating himself is another good hook for AEW going forward. Interested to see what both QT and Dustin do going forward.

Props to the guy then, he has a great mind. Maybe not when he takes some of his bumps, but he's very gifted creatively. I want to rewatch that bout again, in high definition. Seen just a few of his vignettes, will pay more attention to him now.

QT Marshall is the most generic dude I have seen in a long time. :p I don't know how to take a guy with a name QT seriously too. What I do know is that AEW has a lot of guys who need air time and storylines before him.

QT Marshall is the most generic dude I have seen in a long time. :p I don't know how to take a guy with a name QT seriously too. What I do know is that AEW has a lot of guys who need air time and storylines before him.

QT is a solid hand. I doubt he'll ever have a main event program or even a TNT title program, but he's a good worker to have on the roster since he can work with anyone style wise. He's also the head trainer at Cody's Nightmare Factory wrestling school.

I'm mostly interested to see what Dustin does now that their team seems to be over. Dustin also opened his own training school fairly recently. I'd love to see a Dustin/Cody tag title run at some point to he truthful.

QT is a solid hand. I doubt he'll ever have a main event program or even a TNT title program, but he's a good worker to have on the roster since he can work with anyone style wise. He's also the head trainer at Cody's Nightmare Factory wrestling school.

I'm mostly interested to see what Dustin does now that their team seems to be over. Dustin also opened his own training school fairly recently. I'd love to see a Dustin/Cody tag title run at some point to he truthful.

Admittedly I didn't see much of a guy, but I remember him being in ROH in around 2013, and he looked exactly the same. From the presentation standpoint, he's just the personification of dull imo. Also I didn't plan to rag on the guy, he just happened to be mentioned in the comment above :)

Edit: woah, I just opened page 100, and I posted here maybe once or twice :p

Not sure if he has appeared previous to tonight, but I was very impressed with Brick Aldridge. He gave me early-mid 90s Scott Steiner and Scott Norton. He even resembles Scott Norton. I now wish AEW had signed Rick Steiner's son so he could he partnered with Brick.

Dynamite was fairly good this week. Eddie Kingston could sell show to eskimos and sand to Egyptians. That couch promo was very good.

I really hated Kenny Omega's promo though. Absolutely horrendous. "69 me heheh"...ugh. And people wonder why new viewers don't understand the hype for Omega. He's a dork that shouldn't talk. Don is excellent on the mic and should be doing 90% of the talking for the North American Bullet Club. I do love the Good Brothers.

The ending segment was outstanding. I wonder what MJF's stable is called? Either way, I did not see that coming and I LOVE it.

- Fenix vs Matt was great. Happy Fenix won.

- A Cody/Penta feud should be fun. I hope it ends with Penta breaking Cody's arm. Alex on Dynamite!

- Cassidy asleep at the arcade wheel lol. How much longer before we get Miro vs Cassidy? Archer vs Darby would be cool. Archer vs Sting would make me a bit nervous.

- All Ego vs Johnson was good. Dark Order-Mobile! Poor 5.

- I'm OK with the explosion explanation. Mox, Kingston, Callis & Omega made it work.

- Dr. Britt, Nyla & Itoh vs Mizunami, Mizunami, Rosa & Shida was sloppy but fun. Itoh was the MVP for not being phased during her entrance. Matt Hardy overcompensating for his failure.

- Sky vs Darby © was my MOTN. Darby's selling and the layout of the match were so good I thought he was legit injured and they were calling it on the fly.

- I didn't expect MJF to be kicked out of the Inner Circle instead of Jericho. MJF, Wardlow, Tully, FTR & Spears is one hell of a faction! Excited to see Wardlow unleashed.

AEW's Revolution apparently is the most successful non-WWE PPV in 20 years.

Also, Andrade might be a free agent...I know AEW's roster is massive, but you'd have to be crazy not to sign him. Especially since Vega is free too. Their act was one of the best manager/client duos in recent memory.

<p>The Barbed Wire Deathmatch was stupid from start to finish to me, nowhere near dangerous or violent enough to validate the concept. Maybe I've seen too much Onita, too much Sabu and too much CZW to really buy into this stuff now? It was just hokey and silly. They're great wrestlers but they were hamstrung. The finish sucked, they used to have clever finishes that subverted expectations but this is just WCW 1996. Worse yet, neither Mox nor Omega were sporting any wounds on Wednesday... they could have worn a few plasters to sell the effects of such a dangerous match concept.</p><p> </p><p>

The post-match sucked too. I don't care how they're twisting it, it's one of those where if you can't do it properly then don't do it altogether.</p><p> </p><p>

I loved the end of Dynamite though. Give me Wardlow unleashed! Give me Santana & Ortiz as adrenaline-fueled babyface killers!</p>

<p>Santana & Ortiz vs FTR is a modern era dream match. I've wanted that for years.</p><p> </p><p>

Not sure if anyone follows Jake Hager or his wife on Instagram, but Jake shows so much personality on there. He comes across like a super likable guy which is so far from any character he's played. I'd really like AEW to let him tap into that positive energy somehow.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not sure if anyone follows Jake Hager or his wife on Instagram, but Jake shows so much personality on there. He comes across like a super likable guy which is so far from any character he's played. I'd really like AEW to let him tap into that positive energy somehow.</div></blockquote><p> I did like it when him and Wardlow had their little argument in the ring about the way they're always looking at one another.</p>

I'm interested to see what happens to the Inner Circle from here. Admittedly, I haven't always been a big fan of the group. That said, at this point, they have something to fight for. At the same time, I'm really intrigued to see the name & feel of MJF's new faction. This could be a great war, if booked correctly.

I'm also really loving Kenny Omega's obnoxious heel persona. I'd love to see some more depth develop but, for now, it's interesting to watch/hear.

- Sky vs Darby © was my MOTN. Darby's selling and the layout of the match were so good I thought he was legit injured and they were calling it on the fly.

I agree 100% about MOTN. Darby Allin's persona felt somewhat gimmicky when I first started watching AEW. To this point though, he's become one of my favorite workers. He proves that selling is truly a powerful art; especially when you're an underdog babyface.

Elevation was fine for what it is. Maki vs Riho was quite good though.

Paul Wight is decent enough on commentary, but he keeps using insider terms and phrases like he said "she's still selling the knee." That is just not good. Hoping he'll stop doing that, because he's not bad otherwise. If anything, I'm just excited I can hear Tony on another show.

Elevation was fine for what it is. Maki vs Riho was quite good though.

Paul Wight is decent enough on commentary, but he keeps using insider terms and phrases like he said "she's still selling the knee." That is just not good. Hoping he'll stop doing that, because he's not bad otherwise. If anything, I'm just excited I can hear Tony on another show.

Solid show. Still can't stand Omega...Matt Hardy gets a good second on being totally useless at this stage.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="hailthebulldog" data-cite="hailthebulldog" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I love the Paul Jones Army vibe I'm getting from Hardy and his army.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's the exact same vibe I get too. </p><p> </p><p> As for Dynamite, Cody vs Penta was massively disappointing. I don't know if I had too high of expectations, but it was just a let down. I'm the biggest Cody supporter there is, but he really should have lost. </p><p> </p><p> Jade continues to look magnificent. Hopefully she starts working Elevation and Dark so she can get some experience. </p><p> </p><p> Not sold on the name The Pinnacle. Would have preferred something Horsemen adjacent. I enjoy every member though so hopefully the name grows on me. I know it's early, but Wardlow eventually turning face against MFJ is going to be money.</p><p> </p><p> Brian Cage seemingly turning face? There's some dissent growing in Team Taz.</p><p> </p><p> Tony called Britt's superkick a superkick and Excalibur had to swoop in and call it a thrust kick. It's so stupid that only the Bucks can use the superkick name in AEW. Anytime anyone else does it, it's a thrust kick. So dumb. </p><p> </p><p> Baker bled like crazy! What a cool visual. I was very anti Britt for a real long time, but she has really been growing on me lately. Gruesome match in general, but entertaining nonetheless.</p>