MAW: When Road to Glory goes wrong

I was set to be a world champion.

I was set to be the best wrestler in the world.

I was one of the greatest rookies you could imagine, one of the best prospects, a ridiculously-excellent brawler, a performer on the level of any...any midcard in the world, easily.

And no one offered me a contract.

I stayed in Nom de Guerre Lucha, the company that Santiago Nunes created at my behest. I booked them for two years-and January. From January 2016 to January 2019 it was mine to book.

And then Sam Keith died.

He died this February, 3rd Monday, and I'm having him inducted into our Hall of Fame today, the 3rd Sunday.

Of anything, as a father, a man, wrestler of year year, as an Immortal, the one thing he was, that all of you would care about, is he was the pinnacle of a journeyman.

SWF, Burning Hammer, CGC, MPWF.

World Titles.

World titles as a primary technician, against lucha AND puroresu.

He understood how to work, and how to work with anyone.

Before him, there was Rip Chord. A similar journey, aside from Mexico, but he was a brilliant worker of many styles. And he could TALK. The man dragged people into the arena with his words. And his demons...led to this company in the last place.

Me?

I'm 21.

I have been alive, less than the prior two owners had been wrestling.

As I said, I'm a prospect. A prospect with inimitable brawling and a ton of promise.

And I'll work with you.

I've come to terms that no big company is going to snatch me up, so I'm going to mature as owner of the company that makes the next generation of excellence.

I'll fight with you, I'll fight against you.

And all of you?

You'll leave. You're going on to better things. Because if there's one thing I have that Sam Keith and Rip Chord didn't, while they were owners? The burning drive of youth.

I'm not stopping until you guys get hired. And I'll train you as best I can along the way.

Thank you. I'll be back soon with the show for MAW Wrestling Classic.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The Roster:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Main Event:</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>Cameron Jones: Mid Atlantic Championship</em></p><p>

28 years old regular wrestler. He's got a great old school heel-type gimmick going on, it seems like it might have been tweaked once. I'm surprised it wasn't a cocky gimmick, but there's no sense messing with that. There's a little bit of momentum going his way, and as champion, that shouldn't be surprising. He's not much of a flier, but as best I can tell (not much), he <em>probably</em> can call it in the ring. His partner's the top heel, though.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Cheetah Boy</em></p><p>

36 years old cruiserweight. His putz gimmick is okay, probably better than average, but I thought he was a cheetah, not a weasel.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Given that he's a heel and that we don't have comedy, sure, I get the style of gimmick he'd use. A bit more popular than Cameron Jones, his popularity is his best asset; that he has high momentum is nice. As well as being a nice guy backstage. Maybe can call in the ring?</p><p> </p><p>

<em>George Wolfe:</em></p><p>

27 year old brawler. Paired with Cheetah Boy, for some reason (I would have assumed Bradley Blaze, his strong friend, would have been a better pick). Great chosen one, huge momentum, AND most popular so far in the Mid Atlantic! Brawler-obviously-and probably needs some polish as a performer.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Gregory Martell:</em></p><p>

Aha! 22 years old, 1 year pro, Entertainer from the boot camp. COTT World Heavyweight champion! Also, he's ran around to a bunch of companies (to no surprise). I don't have a read on him as far as in the ring and so on goes, but he's got a bit of momentum with no gimmick, and he's a babyface. That...shouldn't be a problem. Cool, Legitimate, or Brute should suit him. Him and Syd Collier might have chemistry; they certainly have had excellent matches. Also, popular in the Mid Atlantic.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Micheal Martinez:</em></p><p>

22 years old, two year pro, entertainer, boot camp rookie. He worked for PWC for awhile as well, which is nice. Cameron Jones is less popular than this guy. He's in a team with Copperhead, and he's friends with Matthew Hurst. I...he's not expensive, so...?</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Roderick Remus:</em></p><p>

YES. 30 year old cruiserweight, he's a capable all-round worker, can call it in the ring, our biggest star, recently had a tour with PGHW (which means he's...kind of already grown up, and is more a "veteran"), nice guy, dating Lisa Bowen, has a tag team with Dean McWade of all people, a nice flashy worker, got great momentum (second to Cheetah Boy). His only misgiving is kinda average charisma and star power. With a relatively-average show stealer gimmick, I'll likely only change that if his momentum plummets.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Syd Collier:</em></p><p>

29 year old regular wrestler. As noted, he's a step above the current champion in the crowd's eyes; whether or not that will cause a breakup of the tag team (Cameron is the better babyface) remains to be seen. Syd has much more momentum than the champion, but a far worse handle on the old school heel. It isn't poor so much as what I'd consider a below-average portrayal. Maybe Syd turns? I think I prefer Syd to Cameron, though Cameron has better brawling skills. I think Syd's technical work-and competent brawling-will make a fun match for my world-class punching style.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>The Architect: Mid Atlantic American</em></p><p>

26 year old technician. Probably going to "get injured" on this show, because a main eventer shouldn't hold the Mid Atlantic American...championship? Aside from that, he's a worse Syd Collier, essentially. Not that that's bad, and with 3 years of growth, The Architect might become a fantastic technician or round out his work. Regardless, with solid momentum and a better-than-average Egomaniac thing going on, I think I'll try him as a mouthpiece after his..."injury".</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Upper Midcard:</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>Bradley Blaze:</em></p><p>

26 year old brawler. Seems to be similar enough to me, though I can't get a good look at his skills yet. Great guy, has Turner Washington and George Wolfe as friends, so if he wants to stay, he can stay. Also very popular in the Mid-Atlantic. He's about neutral so far in terms of momentum; with an awful cowboy gimmick, I know how we're going to change that.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Copperhead:</em></p><p>

26 year old brawler. Unlike Mr. Blaze, Copperhead has the team with Micheal Martinez and a strong disliking of Harry Christison. Really, really bad momentum, but a great underdog gimmick going. He's not as popular as the others so far, but then, he's ALSO in the upper-midcard. As best I can tell-which is poor-he's as good as plenty of people I've seen over the last few years.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Eidenhoek Gaiaspade:</em></p><p>

Same popularity as Copperhead, I am...ridiculously-good.</p><p>

<span style="color:#C0C0C0;">Note: See the Road to Glory post; Eidenhoek's on the 63-ish page.</span></p><p> </p><p>

<em>Hal Harvard:</em></p><p>

36 years old, regular wrestler. Above Average fan favorite, guy seems to not be great in the ring, but probably solid otherwise. No notable momentum either way, decently popular, friends with Ralph Liotta and teams with Jonah Pilgrim. Age-wise, it doesn't make sense for him to be here. I suppose he can be a pleasant older presence?</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Jonah Pilgrim:</em></p><p>

26 years old, a brawler. A bit negative momentum, a poor sidekick gimmick, and he's supposed to brawl pretty well. I see a Harvard with more upside due to age. Also, he IS willing to change size; don't know if I'll take him up on that.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Keith Vegas:</em></p><p>

35 years old. Regular wrestler, a bit of momentum, a below-average weirdo. Has a tag team with Miller Fforde that's pretty decent, but he doesn't like Sam Dahl. I don't know how good a performer he is (can he call in the ring?), so at the moment, he's popular and in a team. Great.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Miller Fforde:</em></p><p>

26 years old Cruiserweight. In the team with Vegas, yet they aren't the same alignment? Bad momentum, poor fan favourite, he needs a change. If him and Vegas aren't a team...then Vegas might as well be dropped. I'll have to see how good a performer he is; I think his promo work is competent. I wouldn't be unhappy with him as the Mid Atlantic Atlantic...Mid...the one Architect has.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Trix Triumph:</em></p><p>

24 year old, Very Good old school heel, slightly off momentum, jerk backstage, regular wrestler. He's popular in the Mid Atlantic and cheap. Aside from that...I've seen people I've thought were roughly as good debut a few months ago.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Midcard</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>Anthony Summers:</em></p><p>

21 years old, graduated from boot camp last year. He's a psychopath. No gimmick, slight negative momentum. This kid? Cheap, nice guy backstage, doesn't look like he'd be much. But creative talks? Second next big thing to myself (as technically I'm not a main eventer). Top of the hot prospects. Doesn't look a star, but probably the best talker on the roster. VERY interested in his development.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Brian Stardust:</em></p><p>

23 years old, graduated last year. He's a big heavyweight regular wrestler, a no gimmick, slow momentum cheap body. I'd like to see his work some more, as he might be a decent...brawler, maybe? He's not as popular as some (about as much as me), but again, he's on a very cheap contract. No problems with him. Oh, and he's not Jefferson.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Harry Christison:</em></p><p>

20 years old, still in his rookie year, a graduate, and a protege of the late Sam Keith. A bulky middleweight entertainer, his disliking of Copperhead is a problem. However, he's currently on a contract for $84...somehow. So that's amazing. About as popular as me (not that much, then), terrible guy, Just ind of...there. No gimmick, slightly bad momentum. He's a body.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>James Young:</em></p><p>

22 year old 1 year...veteran...regular wrestler graduate. Slightly negative momentum, no gimmick, he's a flabby heavyweight. Might going to change that. He's another body, that's all.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Johnny Needham: Mid Atlantic Tag Team</em></p><p>

21 year old regular wrestler, lightweight. Very good fan favourite, kinda bad momentum. Kinda popular, has Lisa Bowen as a manager, tags with Ralph Liotta. It's a cheap tag team. That's...fine.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Luis Marquardt:</em></p><p>

22 years (1 year in the business!) old big heavyweight brawler. No gimmick, slightly negative momentum. Might be able to talk pretty well?</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Phillip Halliwell:</em></p><p>

21 years old, one year vet, big heavyweight brawler. Same on the gimmick and momentum as before, but he might actually <em>be</em> decent in the ring. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>Ralph Liotta: Mid Atlantic Tag Team</em></p><p>

24 years old, regular wrestler, middleweight. Positive momentum-weird, given that his partner is not that-and an...above average kind of bubbly babyface. Bowen's the manager, of course. I got no problem going forward with him; he's got some decent skills, it looks like. Decently popular tag team.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Sam Dahl:</em></p><p>

20 year old middleweight brawler with a year of work under his belt. None-too-popular, he dislikes Keith Vegas AND Lisa Bowen. And was a protege of Sam Keith. Good...for him. He might have a nice look though? Oh, minor negative momentum, no gimmick.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Sean Davis:</em></p><p>

21 years old, one year working, lightweight brawler. No gimmick and slightly bad momentum, but he's nicer, more popular, AND looks to be a better worker than Dahl.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Tim Orton:</em></p><p>

19 and 1, if you follow the thought, and a lightweight entertainer. No gimmick, slightly <em>positive</em> momentum, and looks to have a lot of upside!</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Travis Frost:</em></p><p>

21 and 1, lightweight technician. No gimmick, slightly good momentum, less popular and a bit of a jerk. Probably a decent mat worker, I guess.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Turner Washington:</em></p><p>

20-and-2, a middleweight regular wrestler. No gimmick, negative momentum, huge jerk. The friendship with Blaze is nice, as is what looks to be a competent enough guy...ignoring that his style in the ring isn't much.</p>