Now that we can play as a developmental company, I figured we needed a thread here. I am overall really happy with the workers that have been added since a lot of the "older" guys have graduated. I love that we have Skull's son in the development and some other really good guys down there. There is also a lot of good rookies out there for the taking! What do you guys think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had completed the first two months with RIPW, and here's a couple notes from my game.

1) I don't understand how dev fed money works, I get that SWF absorbs all my cost at the end of the month, but I'm negative $60k before that point. Im just worried because the only critical owner goal I got was "Have $10,000 in the bank" when time expires. Even if I somehow make turn profit in a year, won't it go away when SWF absorbs the profits? So I'm guaranteed to fail this owner goal?

2) Deever and Hellion have been my best workers so far. And I plan to make either the main champ. Their opening feud has been getting the best ratings as well.

3) I really like Whole Lotta Marvin. He's been cutting great promos so far. Definitely has a bright future.

4) SWF haven't called anybody up yet, granted not too surprising, it's only been 2 months, but I'm interested to see how the calling up process works and if they automatically fill the roster spot for me. Ideally I'd like to just use workers that SWF sign as Developmental talent.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to making this a long term, laid back series where I keep developing new stars, watch them get called up, cry when they get misused/lost in the shuffle, and start the process over again

To be honest i am a little bit disappointed about how it works. I thought the owner goals would influence more how you run the promotion. For example i had 3 goals, and 2 were about who i hired and 1 was about not dropping below tiny in size. I figure there would be goals about how you should or should not push.

Also the parent company does not seem to restrict how much money you spend so you may as well max out all of the settings and run as much shows as you want. i was hoping for more restrictions on this.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bork_Laser" data-cite="Bork_Laser" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47634" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So I had completed the first two months with RIPW, and here's a couple notes from my game.<p> </p><p> 1) I don't understand how dev fed money works, I get that SWF absorbs all my cost at the end of the month, but I'm negative $60k before that point. Im just worried because the only critical owner goal I got was "Have $10,000 in the bank" when time expires. Even if I somehow make turn profit in a year, won't it go away when SWF absorbs the profits? So I'm guaranteed to fail this owner goal?</p><p> </p><p> 2) Deever and Hellion have been my best workers so far. And I plan to make either the main champ. Their opening feud has been getting the best ratings as well.</p><p> </p><p> 3) I really like Whole Lotta Marvin. He's been cutting great promos so far. Definitely has a bright future.</p><p> </p><p> 4) SWF haven't called anybody up yet, granted not too surprising, it's only been 2 months, but I'm interested to see how the calling up process works and if they automatically fill the roster spot for me. Ideally I'd like to just use workers that SWF sign as Developmental talent.</p><p> </p><p> Otherwise I'm looking forward to making this a long term, laid back series where I keep developing new stars, watch them get called up, cry when they get misused/lost in the shuffle, and start the process over again</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That $10k goal sounds like a bug or an oversight, because you are guaranteed to fail it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moafnsteel" data-cite="moafnsteel" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47634" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I also really struggle to push Deever and Forrest. They just don't do anything for me.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Definitely agree with Forrest. Not sure what to do with him, kinda hope the game follows up with his bio and call him up soon lol. As for Deever, I kinda pushed him like I did with Angry Gilmore, a stand your ground and take on all challengers Babyface</p>

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised that no one seems to be really taking advantage of being able to play as a dev now that it's been added in. I know MAW is sort of an option but RIPW seems like the definitive option.

It's sort of a tough company to play as though because its heavily pop based when most of your workers have no pop, and youre stick doing monthly events.

Btw, I ran a test sim and SWF called up like 3 people in the span of 2 years, none of them anywhere close to when you start the game. A lot of the profiles hint at wrestlers being called up soon but clearly the AI doesnt give a shit about flavor text.

c9a3b18c1654e7b799b08368b55ae0ef.png

261a6f7a1eee58e8915ba48f7dd33529.png

I ran two shows. First one got messed up because I forgot to add a storytelling match. Obviously mostly following the starting storylines.

I started RIPW Uprising (grabbing the SWF Uprising logo) on WrestleWorld and Im hoping that with a UC in charge, I can encourage SWF to call up more people. Goal will be to hard push whoever is on top. I dont like using veterans to build up names but in a pop centric promotion and as the child company of SWF, I dont see why not. First wrestler Im bringing in is Java. The goal is to build up my headliner until they get called up then have them put someone over as they leave to transfer a bit of pop. I dont trust SWF so I imagine most of the guys I elevate will end up squandered. Also obviously fearful that SWF will run out of roster space and just not bother calling anyone up.

Right now, Deever Arnold is arguably the best worker in the company but Im partial to Hellion so I'll be keeping him dominant over the company until someone decides to take him away from me.

Looking forward to being able to do long form stories thanks to the addition of Uprising now. Should be a fun game.

Oh, Ive also made all my event tickets free. And ticked everything on backstage. I'm just going to presume SWF can handle my expenses. To be honest, I hope to eventually get NXT tier and to just be stealing anyone that's available.

This upcoming PPV is March to Victory which means we'll be hosting a tournament on Uprising up till the PPV.

Contenders:

Bryan "Do It!" Jewett

Deever "Rampage" Arnold

"The Specimen" Forrest Ratzolf

"Dr. Funkenstein" K.P. Avatar

"Lone Star" Samson Sharpe

Son of Vengeance

"Wild" Willy LaRoux

"Double Z" Zharnel Zephaniah

Winner headlines Ultimate Showdown for the RIPW Championship.

I have a RIPW game I am playing and I am playing RIPW with SWF (in my diary) and I am having a blast, I keep hoping they will call somebody up or sign new people, but it hasn't happened yet.

Your save is looking good! I love SoVen, he is somebody that I am really trying to train up. I brought in some "guest coaches" on handshake deal and I have them fight in dark matches before the TV shows to help train up the guys.

I ran RIPW way back before you could do it properly and if the SWF roster is set right they don't call people up very often. SWF is looking for popularity so if you want to push up you really have to do it. Deever, their star, has only 26 popularity while Chill, the lowest pop in SWF is a 35. Unless SWF bumps up in size or experiences a big roster turnover I wouldn't expect call ups any time soon.

As for Deever he is a classic old school face. Yeah it's boring but the key isn't the face, it's the villains. The villains are the proactive agents, the heroes are reactive. Hellion is a classic monster, I would push Warwick as a classic Eddie Guerro "we lie, we cheat, we steal" kind of villain. Mean Jean isn't a bad option to push as the classic "corrupt commissioner" angle.

The other key thing to remember about a place like RIPW is that Angles are you friend. You have a lot of entertaining charismatic people on your roster. Get them in "Entertainment" based angles, get your monsters in "Menace" angles and max out your angles in a show. You can easily get 10 or 20 pts higher than you can ever get from a match. Use the angles to generate popularity on your entertaining workers that you can then bleed off to other people.

Every single star should either have killer menace, killer microphone/charisma, or a manager to help them along. Remember you can talk to your workers and convert wrestlers into managers as well if you want to spread the love without a bunch of new faces.

Angles might only get to be 20% of your product but they are going to be your path to success to get popularity so you can pull off decent matches.

Finally consider looking at local workers or bringing in a couple of high pop "ringers" if you're looking to grow.

I have a RIPW game I am playing and I am playing RIPW with SWF (in my diary) and I am having a blast, I keep hoping they will call somebody up or sign new people, but it hasn't happened yet.

Your save is looking good! I love SoVen, he is somebody that I am really trying to train up. I brought in some "guest coaches" on handshake deal and I have them fight in dark matches before the TV shows to help train up the guys.

From a sim I ran they dont seem to call people so Im gonna do my best to force it.

I definitely want to push SoVen but I dont yet know how to go about that. Hes obviously not great in the ring atm, but its a pop focused company. For now Im letting him grow while I focus on my headliners.

I'll be bringing in extra hands as well, but mostly to pass on pop to my desperate headliners.

-

99a867624413d365bd6312ce237175cd.png

March to Victory is in the books. Show grades could be better but there's not much I can do until one of my headliners is a bit more popular. I was considering giving the belt to Deever Arnold since he was pretty solid but Im ultimately going to stick with Hellion. Arnold will probably fail to take back the title at Ultimate Showdown. Im going to have Hellion engage in a short feud with Java until then.

Tribal Warrior will likely be brought in to team with Java and help our tag division. Thanks to RIPW's product, those popular TD guys are super useful for us and this is probably the one situation where I feel comfortable bringing in veterans just to siphon their pop since I think those guys would be down for that RIPW stop at the tail end of their career especially since they're making decent money off the deals.

I started RIPW Uprising on WrestleWorld so we've got a weekly show to build up to the PPV. I left it at 1hr but I would absolutely have storyline room to expand it to 1 1/2 hrs.

Double Z is about to head off for an MMA fight. Going to stretch out the Marvin feud with Southern Comfort up till WrestleWorld where Sharpe will face Marvin.

Still getting settled in with the roster overall but Im really digging this game. I hope with the help of WrestleWorld I can get to a spot where SWF have no choice but do call ups.

Brought in a manager for Deever Arnold since he's virtually useless outside the ring. Actress Juliet Balconi is helping him out. Haley Buck was brought in as the unstable general manager.

I also really struggle to push Deever and Forrest. They just don't do anything for me.

Definitely needs to be renamed to be taken seriously. I suggest Rampage.

@JonTheGoat how did that Son of Vengeance vs Curt Merritt match get a 0? I've actually never seen that before.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="d12345" data-cite="d12345" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47634" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Definitely needs to be renamed to be taken seriously. I suggest Rampage.<p> </p><p> @JonTheGoat how did that Son of Vengeance vs Curt Merritt match get a 0? I've actually never seen that before.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I imagine too many penalties? They're the worst performers in the company tbh so not super suprised. Curt got an 11 and SoVen got an 8 this match. </p><p> </p><p> If I get around to giving Deever another push after he puts over Hellion at Ultimate Showdown, I'll shorten his name to Rampage. I agree Deever Arnold is a nerdy name.</p>

<p>Did anyone else get negative chemistry between Deever Arnold & Hellion? I was planning on stretching their feud out for a good while but after their first match was hit with this I’m now thinking of moving them apart pretty quickly!</p><p> </p><p>

Am I right in thinking that every game is different in its chemistry assignment, positive or negative?</p>

<p>Just drop the "R" It's the Deeve!!!</p><p> </p><p>

Also yeah, never put your two worst people in a match together. What are you really getting from it? If one isn't really good with in-ring skills then they're not going to develop very well from it and if they put on a bad match they can actually start losing what little pop they have.</p><p> </p><p>

Scrubs are great to job to your stars so the stars get "ring time" and the jobbers get "training time".</p><p> </p><p>

What I like to do is hire people with really good in-ring skills but no charisma/star quality and use them as eternal jobbers in dark matches.</p><p> </p><p>

Remmy Honeyman, Ben Williams, Bob Casey, Cal Sanders, Paul Steadyfast, TJ Bailey and Tony DeWonderful are all great examples of permanent jobbers. Hire on a couple of them at dirt cheap rates and have them lose in dark matches to your scrubs. Scrubs get some win for cheap pop and most importantly can really develop those in-ring skills to one day put on a decent match. They are also useful for tag teams. Put a charismatic entertainer up with a seasoned veteran and the vet can carry the matches and the charismatic one can handle the angles and heat. Ryland literally did that with Chris Flynn and TJ Bailey.</p><p> </p><p>

When booking try to have a purpose behind it.</p><p> </p><p>

1) Your main events should blow the roof off. Get two top card people with good momentum in a match every time. It can sometimes be tempted to have your start crush a scrub but remember that main event is what the show is going to be rated on and what puts butts into seats.</p><p> </p><p>

2) Your next couple of matches should be main event prep. Give the others stars some wins over midcarders or give your future main eventer their push. You want that momentum hot for a good main event.</p><p> </p><p>

If you want to get clinical think of it as a fast food assembly line. You've got to cook your meat first before you serve it to the fans so you want it at least warm but the hotter the better. If you have a big PPV show or a season finale you want two White Hot momentums going into that main event and you get that way by prepping it.</p><p> </p><p>

3) Then you repeat it for midcards to low cards. Are there midcarders you want to start pushing up? Are their "gatekeepers" or "ring generals" that need some momentum so they can put on a decent loss against the main eventers? Give them some wins against the low cards.</p><p> </p><p>

Once you've got your momentum handled now comes some utility matches.</p><p> </p><p>

4) Get the crowd heated up matches. Put some entertaining guys and give them a "work the crowd" type match. This is a great place to put your "Main Event crushes a jobber" match. The point isn't for anyone to gain popularity but to fire up the crowd. In general the "work the crowd" matches aren't great for training. I could be wrong but in general longer matches are better for training in-ring skills and "work the crowds" tend to be short. You've got your wild crowd mayhem, you've got your squash matches etc.</p><p> </p><p>

5) Training matches. You sneak these in where you can. Give your rookies some ring time against your ring generals. Who wins or loses doesn't matter, and sandwich these with good angles so the ratings don't matter either but try to push the time as much as you can. If you've got someone like Remmy Honeyman you want them in there as long as you can afford it.</p><p> </p><p>

That should fill up your entire show. It can take awhile to figure it out but if you are doing pointless filler then consider shrinking your shows down. </p><p> </p><p>

Now to help round this out: Angles! Again, book with purpose</p><p> </p><p>

6) First of all consider your storylines. Are there any storylines not covered by matches? Add in the angles so the story keeps fresh in the crowd's minds and keeps generating heat. Even a quick taunt or backstage attack is worthwhile to keep the storyline from cooling off.</p><p> </p><p>

7) Identify your great stick guys and get them mic time EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. Go to Creative -> Talk the Talk and give them a time to shine every single show. They are the ones that print you money to then hand out to the people you want. Also don't forget Menace, Fighting, and Sex Appeal are things as well. Use Freestyle angles and avoid Overness rated like the plague unless its someone's best stats but chances are it isn't. At small time you want those guys with 60's and 70s in Mic and Charisma or those guys with 80s and 90s in menace looking mean. </p><p> </p><p>

8) Utility. Are you looking to turn a guy or switch a gimmick? Establish a new tag team or stable? Set up a future storyline? Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and put someone not great in front of the camera so just like with wrestling, pair them with someone who can carry the angle. This is what a good manager is for. There is a reason why the WWE pairs up "big mean quiet guy" with "fast talking charismatic manager". </p><p> </p><p>

And now, let's not forget you have Dark Match time. Pre- and Post- show is VITAL for training time and building up the crowd.</p><p> </p><p>

In general you want to fill that time up with, say, 2 matches and an angle. The 1st match can be anything so I used it for training, especially with guys the crowd hates to see if you have a vocal crowd. Take someone unimportant like Zap or SoV and fight them against one of your generals. If you can talk Mean Jean into re-entering the ring that would be amazing for him as well, otherwise pick up someone dull like Bob Casey and make them lose.</p><p> </p><p>

Try to make the match closest to the actual show not suck too bad and then put in a nice angle for some cheap pop. Give someone like Zeke or Curt a couple minutes of "Entertainment" time to get the crowd buzzing again.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

I don't use post-match time because I don't really understand it. In reality the post-match time is to give attendees a bonus match so I imagine it should be pretty decent. No storylines, no overall impact but just "here are two great wrestlers putting on a show" kind of thing. I would love to use it as more training time (can never get enough training time!) but I'm afraid of what it will do to the crowds. I might start playing around with it.</p><p> </p><p>

One last pro tip: It's fine to let your main eventers wrestles twice if they don't have a "real" match. The Deeve has GREAT stamina and solid ring skills so you can totally have him do a dark match where he beats on a scrub who needs training and still put on a great ME event. With his stamina levels he can probably wrestle 30-40 minutes a night which is well beyond what is needed so if you're already paying for him, use him twice or three times even. My only note is that pushing him like this means you have to be worried about injuries. </p><p> </p><p>

There are a lot of unsafe workers so make sure to note those and use your "vet jobbers" on them so if an accident does happen it doesn't screw up your plans. People like Zap and SoV have a lot to learn before you trust them with your stars. </p><p> </p><p>

Anyway that went really long...hope that is helpful.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Diablox" data-cite="Diablox" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47634" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Did anyone else get negative chemistry between Deever Arnold & Hellion? I was planning on stretching their feud out for a good while but after their first match was hit with this I’m now thinking of moving them apart pretty quickly!<p> </p><p> Am I right in thinking that every game is different in its chemistry assignment, positive or negative?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah it switches between games. I was fortunate to not have Deever & Hellion with negative chemistry. I'd probably switch it if I was in your position, or use some triple threats/fatal four ways to help get rid of the chemistry issue. </p><p> </p><p> I got a mixed bag of chems so far. Barron & Curt have chemistry but they're the worst tag team lol. Hellion is good against Flack & Deever against Sharpe. The latter is useful because Sharpe is one of the better performers at the start. I can see Sharpe getting a title opportunity post Ultimate Showdown if he gets past Marvin. So a feud with Deever would help quite a bit. </p><p> </p><p> Worst chem is probably that Son of Vengeance has bad chem with Willy LaRoux. Funnily enough, their opponents for that show Bryan Jewett & KP Avatar also had bad chem so it was a recipe for a bad formula overall. </p><p> </p><p> Im not sure what that means for Infamous though. Ill probably just not have them tagged up in regular tags. I still want Will LaRoux to be leading Infamous when he eventually gets into the title scene so no serious changes happening to that stable.</p><p> </p><p> Having fun with RIPW overall. Its a change of pace from the games I tend to do.</p>

Very few chemistry is "pre-set." You can review it in the DB but most chemistry is random.

This gives you an incentive to try out different tag teams and different dark matches. Especially in dark matches you can use them for chemistry testers because the match doesn't matter. Throw anyone vs. anyone and see if some interesting chemistry lights up.

<p>Trying out new tags & worker/manager combinations is one of my favourites parts of the early game. I brought in 3 very low pay managers to RIPW & have been pairing them with everyone who appears on the pre-shows but I’ve only had negative chemistry so far.</p><p> </p><p>

I may have to double up my good workers on the pre-show & main show to give these managers a chance at finding some good chemistry - otherwise it’s the end of the line for them!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Diablox" data-cite="Diablox" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47634" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Trying out new tags & worker/manager combinations is one of my favourites parts of the early game. I brought in 3 very low pay managers to RIPW & have been pairing them with everyone who appears on the pre-shows but I’ve only had negative chemistry so far.<p> </p><p> I may have to double up my good workers on the pre-show & main show to give these managers a chance at finding some good chemistry - otherwise it’s the end of the line for them!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Honestly, it does make sense to get as many managers as you can and saddle them with someone theyve got good chemistry with. I think this is something universally applicable to any fed really. Why not take a free boost? And you can write it however you want, its a girlfriend, a trainer, a spokesperson, an agent, a friend. I mean, in no actual sport does an individual not have someone at their side and what not.</p>

<p>Got RIPW up to Small but that turned out to be a bit of a mistake. You need 3 storylines with 35 heat at that level, a somewhat challenging feat for a pop-based company when your most popular guy starts off at 23. Ive got Hellion up to 36 in New England but if I need 3 storylines, that becomes a bit harder. </p><p> </p><p>

I've brought in a few veterans, mostly some that are close to retirement and have some pop to leech off. Justify it as RIPW actually trying to gain more legitimacy and those guys getting that final payday. I've got thank Billy Russell, Doug Peak, & Java for helping me on that last show in a pretty good main event that also included Hellions.</p><p> </p><p>

Of course the goal remains to be sustainable on our own. I'm still not adept at Pop > Perf, largely when it comes to getting your guys to gain pop if they're being judged on pop and theres no one to steal pop from. Hopefully angles can carry me the way there.</p>

I'm about 5 shows in and while I wish I read this thread first I can say that there is nothing wrong with giving Zap and Marvin the mic every show. It didn't take long for me to get this guys up there in pop fairly quickly. But I really do have to mix in a weekly show or something because the one monthly show is not allowing me to increase pop fast enough.

I'm about 5 shows in and while I wish I read this thread first I can say that there is nothing wrong with giving Zap and Marvin the mic every show. It didn't take long for me to get this guys up there in pop fairly quickly. But I really do have to mix in a weekly show or something because the one monthly show is not allowing me to increase pop fast enough.

How good are Marvin and Zap where you're at? The crawl to 17/18 pop is pretty easy. Afterwards it's a tad trickier. I've enjoyed both Marvin and Zap. They're a long way from getting the push tho on my end.

Im not playing solely for grades so I don't really enjoy tossing in say Whole Lotta Marvin on the mic every week when I don't feel like it's legitimately moving forward his feud with Southern Comfort. Southern Comfort is very Shield-like for me so they retain their legitimacy by swarming and beating up people. That doesn't get good ratings but that's what the story dictates for me so I go for it.

Getting a weekly is a double edged sword. If you grow too fast without your roster being able to keep up you might get a bit stuck.

Would love for you to post about how your game is progressing. I dig seeing how other people are playing them. I think it'll be especially fun once you start having that roster turnover and get grads. Or tough if you lose your ratings maker.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moafnsteel" data-cite="moafnsteel" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47634" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I love Zap and and Marvin! I have put them in a stable with Zeke and have them called Muscle Outlawz (I have a stable logo from IDOL lol) and think of them like the New Day</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Oh my god. Having been reminded of those memes with those hyper muscular wholesome/positive guys I feel like Muscle Outlawz would be such a perfect idea. These three gym heads who are just crazy upbeat/optimistic/wholesome and you can easily run with a heel take on them as well in the way that New Day did it. That's a 100% top notch idea and I will have to steal it if not in RIPW then another game.</p>