Cricket

Cricket games exist in various forms - arcade and sim. See below for a few examples. [url]http://www.cricketgames.com/index.html[/url] [url]http://www.cricketweb.net/downloadscentre/index.shtml[/url] International Cricket Captain and Michael Vaughan's Cricket Manager are two good games in the sim genre with EA's Cricket 2004 being OK in the arcade area.

[QUOTE]Cricket is the poor man's baseball.[/QUOTE] Ever watched the game? No? What a surprise. Understand the rules and aims of the game? No again? So you would qualified to make this rediculous and ludicrous condemnation of entire sport how? And just on a matter of history I think you would find that Baseball was poor man's cricket and not the other way around. As in the gentry in England played that game in the 19th century and the lower classes couldn't afford to. Have a nice day, Mark

Not really fair to compare Cricket and Baseball... A more appropriate analogy would be that Baseball is a poor man's Rounders which is a game that's existed in England for about 400 years. Rounders is still a popular game in England, well it is amongst schoolgirls anyway.

[QUOTE]Does cricket have a super-league like the MLB?[/QUOTE] Cricket doesn't need a super league as the highest level of the game is International Test cricket where sides such as Australia, New Zealand, England and India play for the pride of their country (and for the cricketers not a bad amount of money as well). [QUOTE]Not to mention America's crazy game lacrosse.[/QUOTE] I've never seen Lacrosse and don't understand the rules. Because of that I have no opinion about it and I wouldn't offer a nasty comment against a game covering Lacrosse. Comdemning something without knowing anything about is close minded and foolish. And I would like to see a professional, fully featured cricket simulation. I think it would be a very interesting sim to play. Mark

Ummm....there'd be no "market" for cricket? That's cricket, the second most popular spectator sport on the planet behind football\soccer, which far out-strips baseball, basketball, and american football in terms of global popularity, right? To disregard it just because it's not popular in North America is absolutely ridiculous.

Why do you assume the market is only North America? Grey Dog sells via the Net, and so their products are available worldwide. For example, I know TEW sold well in the UK, where cricket is big, and so therefore it's not a giant stretch to imagine that a game can sell well without needing a North American market.

You've misread my post...well that, or your geography is really, really bad. I didn't say it would only sell in England, i only used that as an example, what I said that games could sell outside North America and still be profitable. Believe it or not, but there is quite a lot of people outside of North America who buy computer games.

That wasnt my point either I was trying to say if it is only popular in England/Ireland area then why would you make it. Sure it may sell some in the USA, but your hoping for sales elsewhere, but if you made a baseball game that would cover the United States, Japan, Central America, etc.

Guest IrishHand
Again...CM is the most successful and popular sports sim ever...and you can't even buy it in the US. (Although you can order it overseas and have it shipped here.) Cricket is popular in a LOT more places than just England and Ireland. As noted by a poster above, you'd do a lot better if you stopped pretending to be familiar about things that you're clearly completely ignorant about. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_(sport) for a little englightenment. For what it's worth, the most popular spectator sports in the world are, in order, football (soccer), cricket then motor racing. You'll note that baseball isn't on that list. If it's purely market size that you're after, then those would be your bread and butter.

[QUOTE=chammer39]Thats not the point of it at all. Is CM a soccer manager?[/QUOTE] What is your point then? Your argument against doing a cricket game was that there wasn't many sales, but as both me and IrishHand have just pointed out, that's incorrect - cricket would sell very well in the UK, Europe, Asia, and Australia to name just a few places, which is a much bigger combined market than North America.

Guest IrishHand
[QUOTE=chammer39]Thats not the point of it at all. Is CM a soccer manager?[/QUOTE] CM = Championship Manager, the crown prince of sports sims Yes, it's a football (soccer) manager. See eg. [url]http://www.sigames.com/[/url] Irish

Archived